Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Because if anything, it goes to show why this mentality of "one average review" means that we're taking it as the absolute opinion from every other reviewer. It's one person's opinion and yet people are not only trying to disprove and write off the one positive review, but now this one average review is being treated as matter of fact what every reviewer will give Forces and being used to try prove a mentality of "oh, yeah this was totally what was going to happen with Forces".

Personally, part of my issue with Famitsu reviews is that each individual take isn't allotted enough space to really articulate the highs and lows of a game in a way I would find meaningful, unlike Polygon's review which was handled by one person given ample space to air their opinion. Famitsu has always come across to me as more focused on its score, not it its content. It has never been a publication I find to be particularly substantive in their reviews and so, even beyond Forces, I take their impressions with a grain of salt.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Well according to threads like this one,  it's because a translation of said review is "absolutely laughable. Barely any better or more informative than a tabloid newspapers gaming section." 

That is literally not what was said in that thread. He's referring to the reviews amounting to jack shit.

Even as rough as the translations might be, there's still no real content behind the reviews to back up the scores. That's why people have an issue with Famitsu's scores.

26 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Also: if it matters, the writer who reviewed Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces are not the same person.

Might not be a good idea to try to use Polygon's review of another Sonic game as a measure of validity.

Can I link a Sonic 3 review saying how bad the game is?

Kappa..

5 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Either you're giving me the runaround or this is some intense Kubler Ross esque denial taking place.

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for definitive proof of Russell's Teapot.

I have a lot of reasons to be skeptical of Polygon. As someone in the indie gaming world, they are known to screw around and be very untrustworthy

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

That is literally not what was said in that thread. He's referring to the reviews amounting to jack shit.

That's exactly what he said about the review. What I quoted there. How doesn't that count?

17 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

This is a real laugh coming from the guy worried about the board acting like "an echo chamber of hate". There is literally no reason for this kind of conspiracy theory bullshit beyond reaching for an excuse to deny the validity of the review.

EDIT: Nope nope nope

Edit: also, wanna point out that I have been making fun of this game online for months, I'm not blindly defending it

7 minutes ago, Speedi said:

Nah fam, you've got me all wrong. I mean of course a part of me is satisfied that this game isn't getting an easy pass, but It isn't because I'm a blind Forces hater. Mostly I am just relieved that it's actual flaws are being recognized and addressed deeper then a surface level. But if this game failing is what it takes for Sonic Team to realize what they're doing wrong then hell yeah seeing a bunch of bad reviews will make me a happy camper. I don't see how wanting a game to get honest critique makes me have some sort of confirmation bias, though.

Oh, sorry, mate. Bit burnt out from others around here, so I kinda went on the attack.

Yeah, it's good that we get critique on the game, because it can help to improve the Sonic formula. It's a bit iffy right now, I can honestly say that, and having Sonic Team professionally be told that can help.

I'm just tired of people explicitly wanting the game to fail, because that contributes nothing to improve Sonic, and can actually hurt the series. Yes, they want the series to improve too, but wanting it to fail is the wrong way to go.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

That's exactly what he said about the review. What I quoted there. How doesn't that count?

Because you implied it was about the translation.

16 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Well according to threads like this one,  it's because a translation of said review is "absolutely laughable. Barely any better or more informative than a tabloid newspapers gaming section." 

Your emphasis. If I misread, my bad.

Just now, Sr101 said:

How about "the game isn't out yet, they have a copy and Aaron said there will be no review copies"?

Even if they have the game leaked, it's only been a day or two, is that enough to properly review a game?

People have had their hands on the game for over a week now. That's more than enough time to review a short, simple game like this.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Celestia said:

How is it strange they have a "leaked" copy of the game when a few randos have gotten their hands on it?

Yeah, just because they're a popular review outlet doesn't mean they need to buy all their games from official stores or wait for review copies. It's not the consumer's fault if the store breaks the street date early.

Okay, well my point here isn't to conspire against Polygon, I just don't think they should

1. be reviewing a product they shouldn't even have yet.

2. vaguely bashing the game while showing no sign that they actually played it

Just now, Zaysho said:

Because you implied it was about the translation.

I was emphasizing the faultiness of judging it with such vilification,  the way he did. That said,  I yield that I didn't convey that the best. 

23 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Yes, it is. And as fans, we want this series to be the best it can be. That means we should want games to be rated accurately, to encourage good games and to discourage bad ones. A bad game getting a bad rating is, ultimately, for the best.

Wait, you want the thread to be venomous?

@Sr101

It hasn't gotten there yet. Some...Odd validation people are getting from 1 review but so far this is quite tame. Ain't games like Sonic Next Gen that throws everyone off the road.

4 minutes ago, Sr101 said:

Okay, well my point here isn't to conspire against Polygon

Yet you have said....

10 minutes ago, Sr101 said:

I have a lot of reasons to be skeptical of Polygon. As someone in the indie gaming world, they are known to screw around and be very untrustworthy

You've done little else than try to dismiss this review on incidentals that don't matter.

1. be reviewing a product they shouldn't even have yet.

Sonic Forces legitimately broke street date, Sega didn't place an embargo, it's free game for professional review.

2. vaguely bashing the game while showing no sign that they actually played it

I still don't understand how you've come to this conclusion. At all. There's as much legitimacy to this review than any other review from any other publication.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyway, on a different topic. People are claiming that saying "reviews don't matter" now but not with Mania is trying to defend this game.

That's.... not really a valid way to approach the situation. Mania wasn't going to be hurt by it's reviews, they are meaningless to everyone... no harm no foul. No reason to say they don't matter because they literally don't. In this case, the game will be hurt dramatically by reviews. 

2 minutes ago, Sr101 said:

That's.... not really a valid way to approach the situation. Mania wasn't going to be hurt by it's reviews, they are meaningless to everyone... no harm no foul. No reason to say they don't matter because they literally don't. In this case, the game will be hurt dramatically by reviews.

How would Mania not be hurt by bad reviews? What's your reasoning here?

Just now, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

I was emphasizing the faultiness of judging it with such vilification,  the way he did. That said,  I yield that I didn't convey that the best. 

At this point you're just tone policing now, man. All he did was sum up that he finds Famitsu's score unreliable, uninformative, and insubstantial.

I'm sorry if I'm hanging onto this point, but I think the problem here is the same problem we continuously have in these threads, and that's taking people's reactions so personally. I think we need to step back and not look for reasons to complain about other people.

Just now, Indigo Rush said:

How would Mania not be hurt by bad reviews? What's your reasoning here?

Wasn't hurt by it's reviews because they were universally positive. So there was no reason to claim that reviews don't matter, since the reviews wouldn't have any negative effect anyway

5 minutes ago, Sr101 said:

Wasn't hurt by it's reviews because they were universally positive. So there was no reason to claim that reviews don't matter, since the reviews wouldn't have any negative effect anyway

Uh... I think any game that gets POSITIVE reviews wouldn't be NEGATIVELY effected by them. That's kind of the entire point. If mania was being universally shat on it would be harmful because it would tell Sega that Mania isn't the kind of Sonic game people want.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

At this point you're just tone policing now, man. All he did was sum up that he finds Famitsu's score unreliable, uninformative, and insubstantial

I mean,  theirs is a more casual less in depth look at the game and that's fine,  but vilifying negative reviews for how others view them is also frowned upon and retaliated against,  so he could've maybe worded in less of a buzz word manner and actually state the point?

And again,  considering the trends which have been a thing around here lately to the point where people have been dealt strikes,  suspended or even banned with behavior towards others stemming from hatred of the game, such an inkling isn't hard to come by for a very good reason, coming from staff or not. 

Right, that's my point. There was no reason to say "reviews don't matter" when mania came out. That's what I'm trying to say, re: people on twitter and such claiming that we are just now claiming reviews dont matter