Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

1 hour ago, Tony Caline said:

As far as seeing the general public not nearly as bothered by everything that's going on with the game, I feel like people (i.e., Jim Sterling) who aren't so deeply embedded into the franchise as fans, and are merely occasional observers to everything, are more likely to just kind of have fun with the general experience, no matter if it's super buggy, with a story that's super-scattered, or anything of that note. There are certain things that they won't really be looking out for, because they haven't completely been enveloped in understanding why some aspects don't work, or why something feels "off" compared to how it felt to control in previous titles, among other things. So, perhaps, this helps the more casual consumers have a better experience than someone like, say, me, who can tell just by visual observation that something is amiss, just because I've been involved with this series in such depth for a long time.

I hope that made sense. I may not have worded that right.

Also, as far as the whole Eggman droppin' the sun thing is concerned, I'm pretty much with @Super Mechanio on that one. Lazy or not, there's not really an excuse for forgetting the entire premise of the game you're writing, which has very loudly and up-front been "Eggman took over the world!" - Eggman taking over, building his empire, and then deciding that it's time to wipe everything out so he can finally build his empire is... I don't know. It'd be like if I built a tower of blocks on a square patch of grass that I claimed for myself, and after that, I felt it necessary to assert my dominance by knocking over my own stack of blocks so I could build my own stack of blocks on the patch of grass that I had already claimed and built on top of for myself a few moments ago. It's just kind of... silly.

I agree with some of this. I loled hard when he said I'm not involved in the fan base and wasn't sure if this is a game I was supposed to hate

Also I'm pretty sure invite will be back it reminded me of aizen at the end though it was silly rushed

• Thumbs Up 1

Reading posts, wait. There is more than 3 stages in Episode Shadow? I don't mean Sonic stages that can be played as Shadow. I mean more than 3 stages that is for Shadow's story.

2 hours ago, Tony Caline said:

As far as seeing the general public not nearly as bothered by everything that's going on with the game, I feel like people (i.e., Jim Sterling) who aren't so deeply embedded into the franchise as fans, and are merely occasional observers to everything, are more likely to just kind of have fun with the general experience, no matter if it's super buggy, with a story that's super-scattered, or anything of that note. There are certain things that they won't really be looking out for, because they haven't completely been enveloped in understanding why some aspects don't work, or why something feels "off" compared to how it felt to control in previous titles, among other things. So, perhaps, this helps the more casual consumers have a better experience than someone like, say, me, who can tell just by visual observation that something is amiss, just because I've been involved with this series in such depth for a long time.

I hope that made sense. I may not have worded that right.

If this is the direction we’re heading to I’m quitting this franchise for good.

Sega and Sonic Team don’t care about fans, with this game they’re gathering to 6-12 yo that like to play temple run. 

I hope this game sells bad, really bad.

• Thumbs Up 6

10 minutes ago, Tyranno said:

dropping the sun on everything makes all the people still bothering him go away

it's not really that complex

You know what the sun does, right?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBatGWLvt9Dj6vUbZbOrg

And it's not just the Resistance, it would kill everyone he's trying to conquer so he could conquer it even more even though there's no one to conquer

• Thumbs Up 2

... yeah I'm pretty sure they weren't taking the realistic effects of what would happen when a sun hits a planet into the equation. They picked it for a strong visual.

I don't think the Resistance really comprised everyone on the planet, either. The game already established he was ready to get rid of Sonic (and it's in line with him shooting him into space in SA2) so him not have any compunctions to keep his enemies around isn't really an issue.

The most confusing part for me about the sun thing is woudln't the sun also kill Eggman? Ifninite made the virtual sun, not Eggman.

10 minutes ago, Razule said:

You know what the sun does, right?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBatGWLvt9Dj6vUbZbOrg

And it's not just the Resistance, it would kill everyone he's trying to conquer so he could conquer it even more even though there's no one to conquer

Except it would not affect the world only those in a given area that you wanted to experiance that

Infinite's powers are shown to have a selective effect. Eggman is there when he's using them on several occassions, and obviously they don't affect Infinite himself.

Alternatively he probably just planned on getting out of the way.

I didn't like it.

At all. It ranks up with the Adventure games and Unleashed for me, personally.

All of which are bad games wrought with poor design decisions, split into multiple gameplay styles that don't need to be there.

Not unplayable, but not something I'm probably touching ever again.

Back to Mania and Generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys this is the review thread, not the story thread.

The PS4 version is "up" to 58 on Metacritic

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/sonic-forces/critic-reviews

It's still based on only 14 scored reviews. Although Metacritic is classing only one of those as "negative" for a score of four, the abundance of fives are generally more negative that positive. I find it very telling that SEGA held back from sending out review copies; the reviews are widely tepid, and critics aren't clamouring to review it either.

Forces has, if nothing else, failed to make an impression. It's not entirely unlike Lost World; that game was quickly forgotten because it was so average. Mania and Generations on the other hand struck all the right notes with just about everyone. I think that critics and the general gaming community have grown tired of bad or mediocre Sonic games. If Forces was a good game, SEGA would have been more confident in their product and critics would be engaged.

• Thumbs Up 9

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

I didn't like it.

At all. It ranks up with the Adventure games and Unleashed for me, personally.

All of which are bad games wrought with poor design decisions, split into multiple gameplay styles that don't need to be there.

Not unplayable, but not something I'm probably touching ever again.

Back to Mania and Generations.

For me it´s a trend. Classics were enjoyable with some flaws, SA1 was 50/50, SA2, Heroes were subpar and Shadow, 06 were ultimate trash.

Boost: Unleashed ok, but still worse than the "subpar" games of Dreamcast/GameCube era; Colors was more shitty, Generations would be somehow good if it was a game without boost entirely. Lost World doesn´t have boost and is shit. And Forces is Shadow or 06 of Boost era. I hope we never ever see any new game using boost.

8 hours ago, Super Mechanio said:

You're missing what I'm saying though.

In Unleashed, Eggman didn't own that landmass before building Eggmanland on it.

In Forces, Eggman owns most of the planet and decides to just wreck his own empire anyway - just so he can conquer it all over again. It makes no sense

After months of some quality torturing, sometimes you just want to go blow some shit up that is mostly yours anyway. Have we already forgotten the Bush administration?

8 hours ago, Tony Caline said:

As far as seeing the general public not nearly as bothered by everything that's going on with the game, I feel like people (i.e., Jim Sterling) who aren't so deeply embedded into the franchise as fans, and are merely occasional observers to everything, are more likely to just kind of have fun with the general experience, no matter if it's super buggy, with a story that's super-scattered, or anything of that note

I think that's giving Sterling far more credit than he deserves regarding the sincerity of the things he says.

• Chuckle 2

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Guys this is the review thread, not the story thread.

The PS4 version is "up" to 58 on Metacritic

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/sonic-forces/critic-reviews

It's still based on only 14 scored reviews. Although Metacritic is classing only one of those as "negative" for a score of four, the abundance of fives are generally more negative that positive. I find it very telling that SEGA held back from sending out review copies; the reviews are widely tepid, and critics aren't clamouring to review it either.

Forces has, if nothing else, failed to make an impression. It's not entirely unlike Lost World; that game was quickly forgotten because it was so average. Mania and Generations on the other hand struck all the right notes with just about everyone. I think that critics and the general gaming community have grown tired of bad or mediocre Sonic games. If Forces was a good game, SEGA would have been more confident in their product and critics would be engaged.

Don't forget Forces' absolutely dire marketing campaign from announcement to release (only having a CG trailer to show at its reveal, Sega demoing only Green Hill/Park Avenue up until a month before the game's release, etc.), the Japan-exclusive timed demo, the game having its street date broken two weeks prior to release, and its $40 "AA" budget pricetag as opposed to its usual $50/$60 price (despite Forces being positioned as the "main" 2017 Sonic game and 25th Anniversary project). Interestingly enough, ProGamer even touched on this, with the reviewer noting they haven't seen any visible promotion for this game's release:

For me, the game went unnoticed before release. There wasn’t any major advertisements. When I did see an advert, it looked great, but there wasn’t much of it. This is the publisher’s biggest franchise here and you’ve missed out a lot on advertisements.

The whole picture concerning Forces' release paints a significant lack of internal faith in the game on Sega's behalf (or at least, the Western branches of Sega). Which considering how the final product turned out (and if the rumor/report @Mayor D heard is correct,  Sonic Team's original pitch for Forces being focused on the Custom Hero element), I really don't blame Sega's nonexistent enthusiasm.

• Thumbs Up 6

Probably doesn't exactly count as a review, but this is seriously the most bizarre situation. While many of us and others on the internet are tearing into Sonic Forces, the Game Grumps who're all about hating on Sonic, even the classics and Mania, seem to be really enjoying Forces so far. :blink: 

38 minutes ago, PKGaming said:

Probably doesn't exactly count as a review, but this is seriously the most bizarre situation. While many of us and others on the internet are tearing into Sonic Forces, the Game Grumps who're all about hating on Sonic, even the classics and Mania, seem to be really enjoying Forces so far. :blink: 

I've been trying to say this since we've seen this game;

It is a title for the casual audience to simply enjoy. It's not for the hardcore fanbase this time around.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

I've been trying to say this since we've seen this game;

It is a title for the casual audience to simply enjoy. It's not for the hardcore fanbase this time around.

I feel like these two guys having fun with the game is kind of anecdotal evidence for casual audiences in general liking this.

1 hour ago, PKGaming said:

Egad. It's suddenly gotten quite cold downstairs.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

14 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Did they like Gens?

They didn't play it, but Arin likes to talk about how all Sonic games are bad. I think in the 06 playthrough he still described Gens as badly designed.

17 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Did they like Gens?

They haven't played it, to my knowledge. I think Danny has said they haven't played Colors or Generations.

2 hours ago, PKGaming said:

Danny has no ill will towards Sonic. Arin has also clarified that he loves literally everything about the Sonic franchise, except for the gameplay itself. He says he loves the character of Sonic, thinks it's a "perfect design", goes against of lot of what he says, but hey, it's his opinion. Whatever.