Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

1 hour ago, dbzfan7 said:

What was that about when there was an interview about them wanting to make up for their past mistakes? Earn back fans trust? I want to see that interview again.

Just the usual corporate PR garbage. I'm at the point I wouldn't even believe them if they said the sky is blue.

They can talk the talk all they want, but can they walk the walk? Because apparently, not really,

4 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Ignoring the fact that SEGA are indeed fools, I think Meta was probably talking about Classic Sonic appearing as a separate character along Modern Sonic in another 3D entry 

Problem is, SEGA or Sonic Team or whoever has the power will probably continue to misunderstand Classic Sonic's success as being tied to the character rather than the game design and gameplay. So they may yet continue to shunt him into games saying "well you liked Mania, so you must like Classic Sonic, so here's Classic Sonic in this here modern game", while failing to actually address the fucking gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Scar said:

Problem is, SEGA or Sonic Team or whoever has the power will probably continue to misunderstand Classic Sonic's success as being tied to the character rather than the game design and gameplay. So they may yet continue to shunt him into games saying "well you liked Mania, so you must like Classic Sonic, so here's Classic Sonic in this here modern game", while failing to actually address the fucking gameplay.

SEGA are indeed fools.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

29 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

image.png.eba3a79c738bd37175a1ff3373095b28.png

Sales figures on Steam so far. 3 days have passed so it should be accurate.

11/15k doesn't sound too hot lol. Mania sold 6 times that amount on the first day, 2 weeks delay and Denuvo meltdown included.

I need some, like.. context. What's considered a good sale for Steam? What was Mania's sale in comparison at this point?

13 minutes ago, Razule said:

I need some, like.. context. What's considered a good sale for Steam? What was Mania's sale in comparison at this point?

sales2.png.f07f89aef78aa3b3a35d36511e21fd36.png

Mania had 64,000 day 1 sales.

22 minutes ago, Razule said:

Someone compare it to the following titles...

Yooka-Laylee

A Hat in Time.

They're also 3D platform games... Whilst different to Sonic they each have very different reception/promotion/controversy levels which would even it out.

1 hour ago, Razule said:

I wrote it in the post. It sold 6 times that, around 60k. 67k actually.

Mania sales are still painfully low, but it was justified by the whole delay+denuvo fiasco.

Forces is outright embarassing at ~10k.

For comparison Cuphead sold 150k day one and it kept going up until it hit the 500k mark in one week and is now sitting at 900k copies sold just on Steam, while Mania is still at 123k.

43 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Someone compare it to the following titles...

Yooka-Laylee

A Hat in Time.

They're also 3D platform games... Whilst different to Sonic they each have very different reception/promotion/controversy levels which would even it out.

A Hat in Time sold 7k copies day one (twice as many as Forces sold the first day lol) and reached 50k in the first two weeks and is now sitting at around 60k.

Yooka Laylee, I have no means to reach the first weeks of release, but it's now sitting at around 90k.

The subtitle for Forces should be "The Waiting Game".

We always have to wait for something, the current situation is never enough to judge things.

Jokes aside, mods can probably boost sales on PC, but if this is in line with general sales numbers, then this game bombed hard.

• Thumbs Up 5

28 minutes ago, Framerate said:

Wait for the mods. generations was low for sales on pc until the mods happen if we see mods for the game it helps

If the game's hard-coded like Lost World (and warning note: Forces is running on Lost World's engine as it is) then it's guaranteed to get nowhere near the level of mod support Generations did. Mod support for Lost World was attempted for a while before most people gave up, since there was little that could be feasibly done with hacking the game.

That and Generations is generally a popular game among fans and is widely agreed to be a solid game. Forces is yet another polarizing title that's creating wildfires across the fanbase on whether it's good or not.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, Yeow said:

If the game's hard-coded like Lost World (and warning note: Forces is running on Lost World's engine as it is) then it's guaranteed to get nowhere near the mod support Generations was. Mod support for Lost World was attempted for a while before most people gave up since there was little that could be feasibly done with it.

That and Generations is generally a popular game among fans and is widely agreed to be a solid game. Forces is yet another polarizing title that's creating wildfires across the fanbase.

From what I understand from Zoney's tweets, physics values are hardcoded in the exe, so that's something it has in common with Lost World. File formats are the same as Lost World though as far as I know.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Framerate said:

Wait for the mods. generations was low for sales on pc until the mods happen if we see mods for the game it helps

Got any evidence to back up this blatantly false claim?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

Someone check it against Lost World.

PC port of a sorta ok Wii U game which got a lot of decent pre release hype despite the lukewarm Wii U version reception.

Also just for shots and giggles since it's too old and different genre to be any meaningful data. ASRT.

Or hell check it against Vanquish/Bayonetta/football Manager.

I still maintain that the crux of the issue is that Mania and Forces aren't selling well thanks to SEGA pissing in the Master Race's cheerios.

Denuvo aside, the game launched completely broken. And if it's one thing that's been a golden litmus for my past decade of PC gaming, if it's one solid indicator that a game isn't worth me spending money, it's if the PC port is ass. Arkham Knight wasn't just an irreversibly shitty port, it was a mediocre game on its own after all. Forces does absolutely nothing to divert that trend.

That shouldn't be the case. The PC version of your game should be the best version. That is, after all, why we fucking play on PC in the first place, to get the best gaming experience we possibly can.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Mark1 said:

I agree with most of this, however while I admire and accept Generations as a good game, I don't want this as the minimum standard. 

Might be unrealistic to say this next part (however we did just get Mania when I didn't see it being possible to have a game as good as Sonic 3K ever again), but I'm not sure if I can ever settle with a 3D Sonic below any of 3D Mario's attempts.

The hedgehog should have the same standards, just like during the SNES and Mega Drive/Genesis era. Most of what I've seen these days feels like an insult to him.

Especially Forces. 

3D World, Land, and Sunshine aren’t insurmountable a barrier at all. 

I was expecting a 4, honestly.

I'm a but unfamiliar with their review scores though, is 6.9 an "okay" because it's in the 6 category? And 7 would be considered a "good"?

Rating games on a 100 point scale continues to be dumbest thing. Is Forces a 6 or 7, IGN? 

Kinda surprised that they're as positive as they are about it. Bit of a shame really.

Game Grumps like it. (So far.)

Jim Sterling likes it.

And now IGN gave it an average score...

What timeline is this???

@Radiant Hero Ike Wouldn't a 6.9 be close to a 7? I say it's almost positive.

2 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

Game Grumps like it. (So far.)

Jim Sterling likes it.

And now IGN gave it an average score...

What timeline is this???

@Radiant Hero Ike Wouldn't a 6.9 be close to a 7? I say it's almost positive.

Yeah that's what I was wondering, but it says "okay" at the end of the review.

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

Someone check it against Lost World.

PC port of a sorta ok Wii U game which got a lot of decent pre release hype despite the lukewarm Wii U version reception.

Also just for shots and giggles since it's too old and different genre to be any meaningful data. ASRT.

Or hell check it against Vanquish/Bayonetta/football Manager.

CD: 445k but it has been in various bundles and heavily discounted

SA1: 520k same

SA2: 564k same

Sonic 4 EP1: 280k same

Sonic 4 EP2: 240k same

ASR: 259k same

ASRT: 940k same

Generations: 811k same

Lost World: 150k, it was in the 15€ tier Humble Bundle

Mania: 123k

Bayonetta: 310k

Vanquish: 113k

Footbal Manager 2017: 1m 180k

Total War 2: Warhammer: 500k

1 minute ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Yeah that's what I was wondering, but it says "okay" at the end of the review.

Yeah, hence the 'almost'

Gotta say, I'm pretty suprised. I was expecting a 5 like Metascore.