Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

20 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

You know, Sonic always seemed way bigger in the UK than it did in America for whatever reason. Though it outperforming Odyssey there is kind of insane.

For comparison - When you look at our sales charts, Forces barely squeezed into the top 100, and was quickly pushed out in less than a week.

Yup - here in the UK the Master System vastly outsold the NES, so when Sonic and the Mega Drive came onto the scene SEGA very much mopped the floor with Nintendo and Mario for quite a while. Ninty eventually caught up, but because of the major trouncing early on Sonic's still pretty dang popular over here. Heck, back in 2008 he was even voted the nation's most popular gaming character so he's def stood the test of time over here - even through the more dodgy games innit.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Nice Smile 1

16 minutes ago, Ayliffe said:

Yup - here in the UK the Master System vastly outsold the NES, so when Sonic and the Mega Drive came onto the scene SEGA very much mopped the floor with Nintendo and Mario for quite a while. Ninty eventually caught up, but because of the major trouncing early on Sonic's still pretty dang popular over here. Heck, back in 2008 he was even voted the nation's most popular gaming character so he's def stood the test of time over here - even through the more dodgy games innit.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

In the U.S., the Genesis made a big splash and managed to rival (but not outsell) the SNES, but the Master System was a total flop. 

On the flipside, neither the Master System nor Megadrive sold well in Japan, and Sonic is far less popular there than he is in the US or UK. Guess it goes to show the importance of initial impressions, even decades after the fact.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

Your joking right? Till this day generations is by far the easiest game in the series.  super sonic makes it even easier on top of that with guided flying over a stage

Nothing of Generations or Colors is "difficult". Iizuka even made a statement on making Generations like Colors where it's fairly easy to play the game while still having some small level of challenge. 

Hint: There is no challenge. 

Loops have gotten better since the adventure titles. Granted it's not entirely fixed but in there are plenty of moments where it's better to jump out of the loops early or use the slide-jump-boost technique when you're within a loop.

1 hour ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Loops have gotten better since the adventure titles. Granted it's not entirely fixed but in there are plenty of moments where it's better to jump out of the loops early or use the slide-jump-boost technique when you're within a loop.

Are we playing the same games? 'Cause you can't jump from loops in any modern game.

5 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Are we playing the same games? 'Cause you can't jump from loops in any modern game.

Yes we have. 

How much of it we experimented with the games are up for debate but I'm telling you now that you aren't always locked on Loops. The only loops you probably won't have much control on are the ones that use dash pads through its entirety(even then most will work).

9 minutes ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Yes we have. 

How much of it we experimented with the games are up for debate but I'm telling you now that you aren't always locked on Loops. The only loops you probably won't have much control on are the ones that use dash pads through its entirety(even then most will work).

Can you point some examples please? I'm genuinely curious 'cause I've experimented quite a bit in any modern game and I was unable to keep control during loops in every instance, since dashpads are always plastered before, on the top and at the end of each loop, at least in 3D environments.

The only example that comes to mind are the loops in Green Hill classic in Generations and there's that single loop in Shamar that you can jump off of to get a shortcut, but that's it and it's still in a 2D plane, and it's not during the loop, it's right after, the loop is still automated.

Oh boy can't wait to see the SA3 facebook post about how "Forces is selling great in the UK and a better start than Gens cause it actually has appeal".Some americans fail to realize that the reason games like Knack and Forces sell better in the UK than Mario is because unlike the US, there was no total dominance of Nintendo in the 80s in Europe. The Master System was really popular here and the market share here was much more balanced, which of course led to the Mega Drive winning against the SNES since it released first. As a result, Mario/Nintendo don't have the huge installbase in Europe that the US does. The SEGA kids outweigh Nintendo kids. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo is popular in Europe, but we didn't have an entire console generation that was just Nintendo and no one else like the US did in the 80s. That's why Forces is selling better in the UK than Mario.

For the record I'm not hating on Forces success, just providing context for why this is happening.

16 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Can you point some examples please? I'm genuinely curious 'cause I've experimented quite a bit in any modern game and I was unable to keep control during loops in every instance, since dashpads are always plastered before, on the top and at the end of each loop, at least in 3D environments.

The only example that comes to mind are the loops in Green Hill classic in Generations and there's that single loop in Shamar that you can jump off of to get a shortcut, but that's it and it's still in a 2D plane, and it's not during the loop, it's right after, the loop is still automated.

2D plane doesn't matter does it? The whole point is that not all the loops are programmed to automate you(unless you hit the dash pads like the ones in Dragon Roads). Honestly, it depends on the stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

2D plane doesn't matter does it? The whole point is that not all the loops are programmed to automate you(unless you hit the dash pads like the ones in Dragon Roads). Honestly, it depends on the stage.

I tend to forget about Unleashed since it was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure that those are exceptions rather than the norm.

• Promotion 1

5 hours ago, Razule said:

Apparently it's number 5 in the UK charts.

Xg8dSWs.jpg

Let's clear something up here because I usually like to follow first-week numbers before losing interest - the #5 debut compared to Generations' #10 is not nearly as great as it might seem. You've got to consider:

- Generations released on a Friday and only had 2 days of sales, yet still reached the Top 10. Forces released on a Tuesday with an already broken street day, so it had at least almost a full week of sales.

- Generations' #10 positions accounted for the PS3 and Xbox 360 version (the 3DS version didn't come out till about a month later and Steam doesn't count for the charts), while Forces is available on three consoles (and people in the UK actually seem to buy the Xbox One:P).

- On the individual UK chart, Forces entered at 14 (PS4), 15 (Switch) and 19, respectively, while Generations entered at 14 and 21. If the 3DS had been launched at the same date and on a Tuesday as well, then Gens would have easily entered at around #3 in the combined chart. For comparison, Mario Odyssey has climbed to #5 in this week's individual chart, so it easily outsold all three versions of Forces, only that Odyssey is in its third week and Forces has just made its debut.

So yeah, while this debut is definitely better compared to games such as Lost World, it's not really an indication of how Forces will do in long-term sales. I've followed the Amazon charts in various countries and some other online stores, and the UK is definitely the large market Forces has performed best in. No surprise here, Mania apparently de-facto topped the chart with only its digital sales, after all. It has kind of begun free-falling on the Amazon charts, though (yesterday: all versions in Top 20, today: two of three out of Top 60), so keep a close eye on next week's performance.

For other countries, Forces is kind of bombing on Amazon USA's video game & PC charts (Switch version holding onto dear life on #98, PS4 at about #400 and Xbox One at #600), about the same for Canada and Japan (below #200 for PS4, #500 for Switch and like #7000 on Xbox One rofl; sold through 30% of its first-day shipment, as large or small that may have been), it's at about #200 for PS4 and Switch as well as #600 on Xbox One in Germany/Austria/Switzerland (with price cut, by the way) and doing mixed in France (Switch at #33, Ps4 at #400 and Xbox at #1000) and Spain (about #150 for PS4/Switch, Xbox One at below #1100)

I'm gonna stop tracking it now, but combined with the abysmal Steam sales, I think none of us have to worry that Sega is not getting the right message from this. Not that it was necessary to list all the numbers for that, the biggest proof we have is the Sonic game budgets' getting lower with each game to the point where Forces reuses about 70% of assets from older games. If they're smart (which they are usually not), Sega will market the next Mania title as an AAA...okay, well.. AA title with physical release to reach its sales potential, which is definitely higher than the interest for Modern games right now. If they're being typical Sega, then we will get a 2D Sonic developed by Sonic Team, though.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Nothing of Generations or Colors is "difficult".

I dunno Vector's crappy mini game is pretty difficult and terrifying XD

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

18 hours ago, Patron said:

Another great review (this guy is really underrated btw)! I’m so glad he brought up the “this game is ok” comments. Yeah, Sonic Forces is ok. It’s average. So was Sonic Lost World, a Sonic game that came out four years ago. Since then we have had a lame mobile runner called Sonic Runners and those bad Sonic Boom games. That is really poor.

If Sonic Forces had come out two years or even a year after Lost World, I think I would’ve cut it a little more slack. I mean, it would still be a disappointment but it wouldn’t have been AS big as it is now because the wait for it wouldn’t have been so long. 

God only knows how long it’s going to take for the next Sonic game to come out, but I really don’t want it to be another four years for another mediocre Sonic title. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1

30 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I dunno Vector's crappy mini game is pretty difficult and terrifying XD

I love that one...Makes some fun use of Homing AttackXD

13 hours ago, The Deleter said:

That's a nice thought to have, and as someone who has played and enjoyed almost every Sonic game in some form, and believes that there is a potential direction in each and every one of them, (Rise of Lyric included, as you all know :V) it's a situation that I would much prefer to be in, honestly.

Only problem is we are not in a reality where that can, or should, matter anymore

• The developers for this franchise have never been able to parse what people's nuanced thoughts and issues with the games are, due to being a Japanese development team, or are being unconsciously obtuse towards what they are told, for whatever reason. For example, Aaron himself relayed the overall feedback from Classic fans towards Sonic team after Sonic 4's release, in the form of a presentation iirc, from the physics to the nostalgia rehashing. They had this feedback from a loud minority directly presented to them. Did that change how they handled the games from that point onward?... From all looks and appearances, no, it didn't. And again, it was presented directly to them, in a way they could understand it in their own language. 

This form of feedback, until we actually see a change in the consumer relations department, is effectively irrelevant. Sonic Team operates by the loudest voices, and it's own priorities and decisions, first and foremost.

• Because of this, near every single one of Sonic Team's decisions for Sonic games is dictated by their own decisions. And their self-dictated history for the most part is composed of mediocre games that have potential in their ideas, but have so many faults and lack of execution that they always fall short. Their sequels? Either ignore the areas that should be polished and expanded upon, or completely scrap the potential, in favor of a completely different focus. The outliers are Colors, (arguably) and Generations, where they actually took the effort to realize what potential the Unleashed gameplay had, and polish the core they had to make it as presentable as possible. All from their own initiative, as well...

Skip ahead more than half a decade later, on the other hand, and what has been accomplished? They scrapped the foundations they were building on for a completely different direction that ended up in mediocrity and failed execution for one game, and then after that, went back to their roots of their most critically acclaimed games... and completely botched the execution somehow, leading to, once again, a mediocre product not worth the industry's time, with a whole bunch of failed ideas vying for attention as well.

• Not only that, but one of the main theories there was, for what Sonic Team needed to actually make a great game out of their ideas, was that they aren't given enough time to actually perfect, or even make presentable, half of the ideas that they have for a game. Be it story, game physics, level design, or game effort and cohesion overall. 1-to-2 year dev cycles were the cause of it all, and they just needed a break to make something with a genuine effort, is all...

Forces has come and gone, had an actually solid base to build off of with the previous game, Generations, and with 4 years of development backing it, what product did they produce???

Another poorly-thought-out package of mediocrity.

This isn't just a failed experiment. This is a failed sequel. One that proves that this isn't the exception, but the common tenancy.

To "Tolerate mediocrity" is to keep supporting it, regardless of the consequences, in favor of "what could be". And keep the faith if you want, I mean Colors and Generations did happen after all, but we need to acknowledge that Sonic Team being perfectly content/mostly capable of mediocrity isn't the exception here. Or at least try looking at it through the eyes of people who aren't partial to the direction the game takes to the same extent as yourself. Supporting a game and wanting to see the good expanded upon, and the negative realized and done away with, isn't a reasonable stance to take anymore in our opinions.

The simple fact that it is blatant mediocrity, should be the biggest issue people can have with the game. Something that on paper may be forgivable for a one-time passer-by or those interested in the concepts, but in the full context, isn't something worth perpetuating. Every form of mediocrity has potential in it somewhere. (And yes, that includes RoL >:V) Probably even stuff we really like. But at some point... you need to know what limit you're pushing in this kind of a situation.

I feel the need to point out the fact that a lot of this argument can be flipped back around towards detractors who are criticising the game a lot. Why bother criticising it so much? Not like SEGA's going to take your criticism and feedback seriously, so why do you feel the need to keep posting about it? 

I get what you're trying to say here, but it doesn't really argue with my point any. All you're saying is that "what's the point of picking out potential and directions from SEGA and having any faith in them if they're not going to listen". And that's not really relevant to my point or changes it. Because again, that can be completely flipped back around to you to say why even bother analysing and even bothering to discuss the complaints of the game if they aren't going to listen? Because by the very nature of your own argument, you might as well be saying "They aren't going to listen to us". 

And like fair enough in terms of support. I'm not asking anyone who dislikes Forces to support it. I've always been a person who just feels we should wait til we get a glimpse of the full game to get an idea of things because we all know marketing material might not be an accurate depiction of the game. Plenty of movies are mismarketed, plenty of games are marketed to the wrong audience, leading to underselling and such, and there's so much misconception and false footage in our current gaming era that I honestly believe the only real determination is being able to see everything as a completed product and objectively. 

Tolerating mediocrity isn't supporting it. The way you're making it sound like is anyone who dared buy Forces and even enjoyed it is supporting what you dislike about the game, and that really isn't the way to go. It's because a lot of us can look past the issues and enjoy something that isn't great, but can still be a fun time. It's up to you to determine if you can find fun in the game and it's reasonable if you can't, but saying trying to find positive things about the game or enjoying it is supporting SEGA being lazy isn't accurate. There's a very fine line between acknowledging that there's issues with Forces or any game for that matter, but enjoying it, and flat out blindly praising/hating it.

You're trying to take a stance that my point is asking people to buy the game and support it and hope the positive is improved next time. That isn't what I'm saying at all. I'm saying remove your feelings and take an objective stance of what the game does right and does wrong. Acknowledge what it has done right compared to other past experiences, because positive feedback is as important as negative feedback. That doesn't amount to "your opinion doesn't matter until you buy the game, go buy it, support it etc".

In the same vain, I'm not telling people to support it either by talking about wanting the game to bomb, but as someone who had has been studying game development for three years now and is hoping to make a career in the field someday, there are far more serious consequences to a game bombing than just "oh well we made a tiny misfire, guess we better go fix that". 

Budgets and developmental time go into a game. Massive budgets for that matter. A game bombing isn't just a tiny mistake and we move on, it's a "Oh shit, we lost a ton of money on this product and we have no real direction to go in, what the fuck are we going to do from here???". A game bombing can effectively screw with the entire series, leading to budgets being completely cut, less developmental time and more. It's not easy to just turn around and say for a game to bomb and pray that they magically get the picture and suddenly pump out something cool. If anything, it can be a complete hindrance to the development team as a whole and something that effects the series for years to come until they decide there's no massive risk in trying to make another one.

But in the end, I still don't even understand what your argument against me is meant to be. I've never said that Forces isn't mediocre, that we should support it, that we should keep allowing SEGA/Sonic Team to do this. I never said to keep supporting the series if you dislike it, I never said Sonic Team was incapable of this or that. What I said is despite Forces' failings, there was good in there. Stuff you might disagree with, but still a lot that many would say was good. There were positive aspects to the game, and it's important to state said positives along with the criticisms so there's as much guidance as possible if SEGA/Sonic Team decide to finally start accepting said feedback (which hopefully they are when the game itself comes with a survey). 

Because said criticisms only can cause even more confusion on what's wanted and can cause things that might've been a step in the right direction to completely fall on it's face and be lost. If you said "The story in Forces sucked" without looking at anything that might be considered at least a step towards the right direction, then we're going to end up having SEGA and Sonic Team go right back to Step 1 and say "well time to go back to the bro jokes and overexplaining our humour with no serious stakes whatsoever". If you go more in detail and explain ideas that could've worked but went wrong somewhere else along the lines, that's giving more indication of what you actually liked and what you actually disliked, and hopefully will end up realising better what actually worked. 

Now, it really comes down to your personal taste if you can see positives or negatives in the game, but in terms of actually trying to combat mediocrity? If all you're doing is listing down the criticisms and no positives whatsoever without really trying to find said positives, you're basically just saying "scrap everything, work from scratch and don't fuck it up again". Obviously, that and not buying the game if you feel that way, but that again comes down to your personal tastes. No one should really be getting judged as "tolerating mediocrity" for enjoying something you didn't and buying it. 

Edit: To clarify one of the above points since I was a bit unclear, what I'm saying about not trying to find positives is it's one thing to do what Sonikko has done for example and analsised the game, legitimately searched for positives/negatives and come to the conclusion that there wasn't many positives, compared to liking stuff about the game, but focusing completely on criticisms while stating there's no saving grace in the game. It's really a tricky tightrope because really, when I say objectively looking at the game, I mean taking a legit attempt to see if there's positive factors, ideas and concepts that could've worked.

But then, that all depends if SEGA wants to actually take the criticism on board, and really that's up in the air if that's going to happen. If not, at least Mania has been set up for sequels?

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

*long post*

Understand what you're saying here but one important point to remember, is that "Detractors" are not evaluating this game in a vacuum: Sonic Team has had a relatively poor track record of producing excellent games. The most recent 3D title before Forces, even though it was not a Sonic Team game, was a disaster that betrayed the trust of many. This again is after SEGA and Sonic Team betraying fans trust over many years. Forces cannot be evaluated on its own merits, no matter how objective we want to be. It cannot, especially after SEGA's long public apology campaign and promises of high quality and consistency in future Sonic games....after THE single longest development cycle in franchise history. This game badly needed to be good, and good at minimum. Not a "Oh well I had fun with it despite its issues" good, but a legitimately impressive, "Wow SEGA did pretty well with this one." This was a moment in which they needed to deliver and they...didn't. "Average" after 4 years of development time, and a public declaration by the company's CEO to make Sonic excellent again, is a failure on their part. 

The Sonic brand is not a small brand; It is one of the biggest ever in gaming and thus no excuses should be made when assessing their ability to put out excellent products. The time for that is long gone. 

They're really going to have to work hard to win the general audience back before they truly destroy Sonic. Worse than disasters like Sonic '06 are average products which don't move the needle of wider customer interest. Especially now.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

10 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

They're really going to have to work hard to win the general audience back before they truly destroy Sonic. Worse than disasters like Sonic '06 are average products which don't move the needle of wider customer interest. Especially now.

To be honest, it seems to me that if there is one audience that likes Forces then it's the 'general audience', who is not well versed in Sonic, doesn't know how it's supposed to play (if we can even say that since I feel Sonic has been off the track more than it has been on it regarding gameplay) and all they are looking for is some fast, spectacle filled game.

15 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

To be honest, it seems to me that if there is one audience that likes Forces then it's the 'general audience', who is not well versed in Sonic, doesn't know how it's supposed to play (if we can even say that since I feel Sonic has been off the track more than it has been on it regarding gameplay) and all they are looking for is some fast, spectacle filled game.

You can't claim that if Forces is not selling well. 

Forces hasn't even hit the general audience, based on its estimated sales volume through the first week. The number of people playing this game in its debut week are only in the low thousands range. That's not a general audience game. 

45 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Understand what you're saying here but one important point to remember, is that "Detractors" are not evaluating this game in a vacuum: Sonic Team has had a relatively poor track record of producing excellent games. The most recent 3D title before Forces, even though it was not a Sonic Team game, was a disaster that betrayed the trust of many. This again is after SEGA and Sonic Team betraying fans trust over many years. Forces cannot be evaluated on its own merits, no matter how objective we want to be. It cannot, especially after SEGA's long public apology campaign and promises of high quality and consistency in future Sonic games....after THE single longest development cycle in franchise history. This game badly needed to be good, and good at minimum. Not a "Oh well I had fun with it despite its issues" good, but a legitimately impressive, "Wow SEGA did pretty well with this one." This was a moment in which they needed to deliver and they...didn't. "Average" after 4 years of development time, and a public declaration by the company's CEO to make Sonic excellent again, is a failure on their part. 

The Sonic brand is not a small brand; It is one of the biggest ever in gaming and thus no excuses should be made when assessing their ability to put out excellent products. The time for that is long gone. 

That still doesn't really change the point I've made. You can't have it one way that invalidates trying to look at positive points towards the game but somehow the criticisms are allowed to be pointed out fine and dandy. It's either both exist or neither does because they're tied together like that. Regardless of Sonic's past reputation, that doesn't really change the point that looking for positives and places that was improved is a good thing to do because at the very least for the next title of the series, it'd be good to have it retained. You also said it yourself, their last game wasn't made by Sonic Team, therefore it's very irrelevant to the point you're making. If you're discussing SEGA as a whole, sure, but that doesn't really have much relevance to the point I'm discussing. 

I'm not arguing the game needing to be good, I'm not arguing that there isn't faults with it, but if you're going to go down a argument line of trying to say positives are invalid, then the exact same argument can simply be flipped around to the same thing about criticisms. Why should people state criticisms? Why should they care? SEGA/Sonic Team certainly aren't. 

I'm not even getting what you're trying to do here? Defend criticisms of the game? Defend detractors? I mean I never used either in a negative sense and this board knows I've already criticised the game enough on my own terms and have done so many times over since the announcement. I'm not against criticising the game, there's plenty wrong with the game and again, I've criticised it a lot myself. That doesn't change my point that it's important to look for positive points. That's typically what feedback is meant to be, analysing strengths and weaknesses of someone.

Edit: Misread that first part which this bottom part of the post was directed to.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'm not arguing the game needing to be good, I'm not arguing that there isn't faults with it, but if you're going to go down a argument line of trying to say positives are invalid, then the exact same argument can simply be flipped around to the same thing about criticisms. Why should people state criticisms? Why should they care? SEGA/Sonic Team certainly aren't. 

I'm not even getting what you're trying to do here? Defend criticisms of the game? Defend detractors? 

Well I'm not really trying to do anything, per say. I just jumped in the conversation after getting home from work. I need my fifteen minutes of brooding on the state of Sonic before I get into my evening. What a life, this one I live.

But seriously, my only point is that the line of reasoning "There are some positives with this game" in light of its spotty immediate history, with BRB and Sonic Team with Lost World, and the long troubled history before that, do not exactly fly. Unfortunately, the Sonic franchise is in a bit of a mess and the whole bit about building on good ideas that work, despite the rest not being up to snuff, has already happened numerous times. How soon we forget what led us here? This was the game that needed to do much better. 

People care because they care about Sonic. And Sonic Team does care, I don't know who would argue against that. If anything is clear, its that they listen FAR TOO MUCH to loud fans specific complaints, which is partly why Forces is so unfocused. The problem is, caring and execution are two different things. I think many have been waiting to see if Sonic Team could finally nail down their efforts with something good and move forward, since Generations is their work and proved they had potential, but unfortunately they seem rather lost since then. So without rambling on anymore, Forces reaction is the culmination of many years of this back and forth relationship with SEGA, and a sustained, disappointing state of affairs. If Forces had been released after Generations, it would not have been met with nearly this much vitriol.   

Ugh, I had a way to wrap up this thought but I gotta go. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't really care about making sure they "retain elements" from forces when there's almost nothing worth retaining. Telling them to retain the Boost just got them to fuck up the Boost. There's no real point in trying to force myself to think of positives when it really would be better for them to just scrap everything and start over. 

People have written about the direction they'd like them to go in many times and would do so again if prompted. They could come ask the fanbase what they want if they actually care. There's no need to be nice about certain aspects of this one game in particular.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don't really care about making sure they "retain elements" from forces when there's almost nothing worth retaining. Telling them to retain the Boost just got them to fuck up the Boost. There's no real point in trying to force myself to think of positives when it really would be better for them to just scrap everything and start over. 

Right, so where do they go from here then? After scrapping everything I mean? 

Lost World and Rise of Lyric scrapped practically everything and Lost World ended up divisive as hell and on top of that, a lot of it's good aspects being overshadowed by bad aspects. What happens then? 

Or how about the many many people who've said at least up until Rise of Lyric's release is the fact SEGA's far too experimental and won't just nail down a proper gameplay style for 3D Sonic and won't focus on improving one over the other.

So what happens when this hypothetical next game releases and it happens to be divisive despite starting from scratch? Do we tell SEGA to scrap it all again and do something else entirely new?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Right, so where do they go from here then? After scrapping everything I mean? 

Lost World and Rise of Lyric scrapped practically everything and Lost World ended up divisive as hell and on top of that, a lot of it's good aspects being overshadowed by bad aspects. What happens then? 

Or how about the many many people who've said at least up until Rise of Lyric's release is the fact SEGA's far too experimental and won't just nail down a proper gameplay style for 3D Sonic and won't focus on improving one over the other.

So what happens when this hypothetical next game releases and it happens to be divisive despite starting from scratch? Do we tell SEGA to scrap it all again and do something else entirely new?

That's not up to me to decide. All I know is that taking on all these ideas and and doing them all badly probably means there needs to be a change within the staff. Not just which wacky idea or surface level tone they approach the game with or something else shallow like that.

I could go into detail in what I think they should do if you want, but this isn't really the topic for that. 

• Thumbs Up 1