Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

11 hours ago, Balding Spider said:

Legit surprised by this. I mean, I'll give Forces a ton of flack but of the two it had a clearer vision of what it wanted to be overall.

Ehh apples and oranges. A raw untested unfocused new gameplay style that wasn't fleshed out vs a previously  well liked  gameplay style stripped of all its substance. Both were panned for diffrent reasons but the flaws still shine all the same. Forces probably only got the short end due to boost fatigue/over automation and two other gameplay styles with their own myriad of problems on top of it 

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Razule said:

Geez, I couldn't even make it through that dude's video. X_X That kinda nastiness, condescension, and unnecessary snark is just waayyy too much in my opinion. Even if it were towards a game that I also disliked, I wouldn't be able to stomach all of that ridiculousness.

17 hours ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

Geez, I couldn't even make it through that dude's video. X_X That kinda nastiness, condescension, and unnecessary snark is just waayyy too much in my opinion. Even if it were towards a game that I also disliked, I wouldn't be able to stomach all of that ridiculousness.

Yeah out of the small handful of videos from him I've seen I can't say I like his style of "review" if you want to call it that. Even on games he kinda likes, he spends half the time ripping it apart and the people who made it to absurd extremes and belittles/mocks the fans if it's a long running game series too. He just feels like a ball of unnecessary hate condensed into poorly drawn videos. Not sure how he has a fan base.

7 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

According to him i'm a pedophile for liking sonic adventure for still liking sonic. This is a thing he said in his video.

He’s pretty firmly “this series can simply die” in his thoughts.

On 30/11/2017 at 3:45 PM, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Yeah out of the small handful of videos from him I've seen I can't say I like his style of "review" if you want to call it that. Even on games he kinda likes, he spends half the time ripping it apart and the people who made it to absurd extremes and belittles/mocks the fans if it's a long running game series too. He just feels like a ball of unnecessary hate condensed into poorly drawn videos. Not sure how he has a fan base.

I've been saying this for years, surprised people are only now realizing this.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

People are taking Yahtzee way too seriously.

Eh, I dunno I think when you start calling people pedophiles a discussion needs to be had about the quality of your reviews, and the content inside of them. Comedy reviews are fine , but he made it quite clear he equates those people who like an older ere of sonic and liking it now as pedophiles. Which is ironic because he himself is yelling for sonic to go back to an even older era. 

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Eh, I dunno I think when you start calling people pedophiles a discussion needs to be had about the quality of your reviews, and the content inside of them. Comedy reviews are fine , but he made it quite clear he equates those people who like an older ere of sonic and liking it now as pedophiles. Which is ironic because he himself is yelling for sonic to go back to an even older era. 

He's not doing that seriously. And if you can't or don't accept or like that joke, just don't bother watching. Like Mayor D said, don't take him so seriously because his remarks are intentionally and unabashedly gross exaggerations. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

He's not doing that seriously. And if you can't or don't accept or like that joke, just don't bother watching. Like Mayor D said, don't take him so seriously because his remarks are intentionally and unabashedly gross exaggerations. 

Couldn't the 'just don't bother watching' sentiment also be extended to Sonic Forces? Y'know, if you don't like the way the game looks, don't play it? Just leave it alone, instead of complaining about it? I don't think that would fly, especially on a site like this one.

Whoever this reviewer guy is, he's putting out a product to the internet, and people on the internet can then in-turn criticize his material for whatever reasons they see fit. Same with Sonic Forces - Sega put the game out there, so it's open to criticism, critique, and complaints. Yahtzee, or whatever his name is, is also open to criticism, critique, and complaints.

• Thumbs Up 5

12 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Sorry, but this all sounds like everyone is taken things waaay too much seriously.

-shrugs- Perhaps some people are, but I don't feel like I was with what I said.

Also, I don't see anyone foaming at the mouth, throwing a hissy fit or anything of the sort.

3 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

So in order, whether he's doing it seriously or not. That's not great. 

Who says I can't watch and critique something, so yeah. That point is bullshit, stop using it

I can understand that they exaggerating and find them in poor taste thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Sorry, but this all sounds like everyone is taken things waaay too much seriously.

Or people are critiquing something they don't think is good. 

Deal with it

Just now, SaberX said:

Sure. Didn't you said like, he was "putting out a product to the internet, and people on the internet can then in-turn criticize his material for whatever reasons they see fit."?

Why the need of explaining something extremelly basic over a joke of review? People could...I dunno, just ignore what he said or ignore the video entirelly?

People can watch and critique something, just like you are criticizing his take on what he is watching. The stop watching point is bullshit, stop using it

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, SaberX said:

Sure. Didn't you said like, he was "putting out a product to the internet, and people on the internet can then in-turn criticize his material for whatever reasons they see fit."?

Why the need of explaining something extremelly basic over a joke of review? People could...I dunno, just ignore what he said or ignore the video entirelly?

Of course people could ignore what he said or the video entirely. The same way people could ignore Sonic Forces entirely and stop criticizing various aspects of it.

If people don't like the game... they're free to say so. And if people don't like a particular review or reviewer, the same applies there as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SaberX said:

Now now. No need to get triggered over a review you don't even like.

No one is getting " triggered " over anything. Also Your use of triggered is big ass red flag to stop listening to you

1 minute ago, SaberX said:

No one here is telling what you can or not like.

You literally said if you don't like it don't watch it. The assertion there is to suggest if you aren't fond of this entertainment this entertainment isn't for you, when in reality you can critique anything you want and engage in anything you want. Your statement stops all argument or critique of a subject, which isn't good. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Now now. No need to get triggered over a review you don't even like.

No one here is telling what you can or not like.

I think you're missing the point entirelly. The thing is, you just used a Captain Obvious kinda of answer over a joke of review.

Even if the review is a 'joke', and it probably is, the content is still not above criticism. I've seen plenty of joke reviews and joke videos that I've thought were bad, or in poor taste, or took things too far. It's really no different here.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, SaberX said:

And you saying "deal with it" is what? Double standarts?

No it means that you have free reign to critique or disagree with how I feel, and i'll never tell you you can't feel the way you do. However, in that same social contract you cannot stop me from feeling the way I do and critiquing the content preesented

8 minutes ago, SaberX said:

You can read my posts anytime if you want to find if I was really saying to you to stop watching videos. Be nice.

People could...I dunno, just ignore what he said or ignore the video entirelly?

Even if it was a joke review, a lot of Yatzhee's "jokes" in this one are pretty heavy and direct insults. People are allowed to take offense and respond in kind, if they like. Yahtzee is honestly probably aware of what he did and doesn't really need defending either. He's been doing this shtick for years.

Sometimes I think he goes a bit overboard and this is one of those times. When it comes to Sonic reviews he doesn't really focus much on ripping into the game proper and this is just another example.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yahtzee does this with every game. It's his persona to sound like a douchebag and he intentionally writes his reviews like this because people get a kick out of irate reviewers on the internet. You're free to not like him - I don't. But his Forces review isn't anything he hasn't already been doing for years.

9 minutes ago, Sean said:

But his Forces review isn't anything he hasn't already been doing for years.

And I don't treat it like a first time problem of his either.

Luckily for folks like me,  it's been as recurring problem with him that's worth critiquing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is it? Yahtzee has been around for so long that any possible complaint made about him has already been made and it's not like he'll listen or change his ways of reviewing.

I think Nostalgia Critic is terrible and I stopped watching his videos because there's no point in me bothering to watch them and bring up the same complaints that have permeated throughout his entire post-cancellation run. It's the same with Yahtzee. It's because it's an ongoing series that I don't keep up with it and can't be bothered to raise a fuss about him doing the same thing I already didn't like years ago.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it's definitely possible for people to take reviews, jokes, and the jokes contained within reviews too seriously, but at the same time criticizing reviews, jokes, and the jokes contained within reviews is definitely a legit thing to do in general.

I watched like, one or two vids of Yahtzee's and wasn't impressed. I probably won't bother with this Forces video or any of his other videos in the future, especially considering the feedback in this thread.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Is it? Yahtzee has been around for so long that any possible complaint made about him has already been made and it's not like he'll listen or change his ways of reviewing.

As far as hoping for Yahtzee to actually change his style, I agree it may be a fruitless endeavor. But criticism can have over uses, such as discouraging others from being as eager to copy his style, or just letting other people who also aren't fond of him know they aren't alone, which can be surprisingly important. Or in this case, people's criticism has been useful to me because it's reinforced my lack of desire to bother with this guy in the future. A helpful review of a review, if you will.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2