Awoo.

So, the reason why Infinite became evil...

nilesdobbs

4 hours ago, GuyWithThePie said:

I liked the theory of Infinte being a lone warrior better.

This seems like a good opportunity to explain what I was expecting from Infinite's backstory, specifically from the last digital comic (based on that one leaked sketch of unmasked Infinite).  This isn't necessarily what I wanted, it's more where I thought they were going before we saw Episode Shadow:

Proto-Infinite - let's call him Mirage the Jackal - is a wandering badass with only a sword to his name, and the wounds from countless battles, etc.  While wandering the wilderness for powerful opponents to fight, because that seems to be a legitimate motivation for shounen characters, he encounters Doctor Eggman and Metal Sonic, who are out searching for... doesn't really matter, but let's say lost Phantom Ruby Prototypes.  Keen to match his strength against a powerful enemy who's endangered the whole world so often, Mirage challenges Eggman's Metal Sonic to a duel - and Eggman is only too happy to have a nuisance swatted.  They battle, and it's a tougher fight than either side expected, with both Mirage and Metal Sonic taking serious damage, blowing up parts of the environment, cutting boulders in half etc., which underlines the power of these characters and by extension the power of Sonic.  By the end, Mirage is on the ropes and almost collapsing but just manages to score the finishing blow on Metal Sonic, destroying the robot and explaining why the real thing isn't present in Forces.  Mirage is victorious... but while he's still hazy, Orbot sneaks up and conks him out with Cubot, adding comic relief as well as pathos.  Eggman is irritated by the loss of Metal Sonic, who can't be replaced easily - but is impressed by Mirage's strength, and decides that the powerful jackal is the perfect candidate for a little experiment he has lined up.  "You want power?  I'll give you power - and if you don't like the cost, I'm sure my new brainwashing helmet will soon change your mind...  ha, ha, ha, ha!"  Flashforward to Infinite floating in a tube, his eye opens dramatically, finis.

...And then the Shadow DLC would have had Shadow investigating laboratories and stuff and would go into more detail on the actual process; experiments, Phantom Rubies, pain, what it takes to be Infinite, and so on.

Well, it'll be interesting to see the real thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

My bad if somebody already answered this but everywhere is saying that episode shadow is now downlandable but I cannot for the love of God find it anywhere. How do I get it? Or is it exclusive to digital preorders?

On 11/6/2017 at 4:50 PM, Gabz Girl said:

So Infinite’s backstory ended up being shit too. GG Sonic Team. 

Also, instead of helping Sonic before Dr Eggman kidnaps him Shadow fucks off for six months with no explanation. 

Nah, my favourite part is his meltdown. It’s hilariously over dramatic and like the most cliche animu. XD I NEED to see a stand-alone clip of this epic moment. 

^THIS. Normally I find myself jumping behind a villain other than Eggman, but this was just piss poor execution. Shadow killed (?) his squad, beat him up and called him worthless so he goes to the Sonic in-world version of Hot Topic & rages out?

...okay. Infinite is essentially the dark and gloomy, early Livejournal Myspace OC they made him out to be. I know that other established villains in various other media have had piss poor origins, but at least they kind of owned it. Lex Luthor basically had it out for Superman for accidentally going bald & Broly basically wanted to rage hit Goku because of his annoying crying. But Infinite never did anything other than assisting in the off-screen takeover in this game. Pff.

Plus the tie-in comic released yesterday shows his face was kind of jacked up to begin with, so what does that make now? Infinite the Vega/Freddy Kruger/edgelord of the Sonic Universe? Sigh.

P.S. - This won't stop me making fan art of him though. Characterization this bad is just waiting to be loved ironically.

• Thumbs Up 3

For some reason I imagine Nack giving Infinite this speech in response to his backstory.

Nack: That's it? That's ya big reason fer becoming Eggman's lackey? Tha's just freaking sad.

Infinite: What.

Nack: Come on! Ya get yer keester handed ta ya ONCE and ya start whinin' like a lil' baby and begging for big daddy Eggman to save ya skin! Where's ya merc's pride ya fox-eared pansy?

Infinite: *insert threatening thing while clearly angry*

Nack: Oh ya got more power than me, big deal! There's always ways ta get power, but ya pride as a merc's one thing you can't just get back after throwin' it away ta tha garbage! How many times ya think I've been trashed by those goody two shoes eh? TONS! Yet at the end o' the day, I always get back up and go do my business as usual, WITH my pride.

For the record, my mental image of Nack might be a tad different from how he's canonically portrayed due to me not really knowing what his canonical portrayal is like.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

For some reason I imagine Nack giving Infinite this speech in response to his backstory.

For the record, my mental image of Nack might be a tad different from how he's canonically portrayed due to me not really knowing what his canonical portrayal is like.

His canonical portrayal is a goofy, greedy coward in Triple Trouble.

His role in Triple Trouble is that he wants the Chaos Emeralds so he can hock them for cash, unaware of or indifferent to their magical powers. However, he's quick to run away in fear when things go wrong; Like when his mech breaks down immediately when Sonic confronts him for the first time. He does fight you a few times in the special stages, using various crazy contraptions much like Eggman himself. He later shows up in the final stage to confront you one final time for a climactic showdown... and then immediately gets scared off by Eggman.

So yeah, Fang's great, but he's definitely one of the sillier Sonic villains.

I just want to see more of the Jackal Squad, it's disappointing that Infinite's origins wasn't anything deeper that we hoped but I loved the fact that they techinally introduced villian anthros in the modern series.

There's no denying the whole "I'm not weak" act was cheesy (like this whole game...) but I kinda understood what they were going for, but it was all poorly executed coming out awkward and rushed lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

I just want to see more of the Jackal Squad, it's disappointing that Infinite's origins wasn't anything deeper that we hoped but I loved the fact that they techinally introduced villian anthros in the modern series.

The Babylon Rogues beat them to it by a decade.

They may be likable villains, but they're still villains by definition - being a gang of thieves. Unlike Shadow - who reformed - the Rogues remained unreprentant thieves for every one of their appearances. And honestly, they did a way better job of being actual characters than this Jackal Squad did.

Aren't the Babylon Rogues anti heroes?

I do agree though that the Jackal Squad could be better characters by actually showing them, stupid this story told more than show.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

I'd argue no, because their goals aren't "heroic." Their goal is to steal money and get rich. This makes them a group of likable villains.

Shadow - post-reformation - is an anti-hero, because he fights for heroic goals, albeit not in a characteristically heroic way.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, Super Mechanio said:

I'd argue no, because their goals aren't "heroic." Their goal is to steal money and get rich. This makes them a group of likable villains.

Huh, odd. I usually recall people not really liking them that much. Did this change in the past few years or something?

2 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Huh, odd. I usually recall people not really liking them that much. Did this change in the past few years or something?

I thought they were well-received. They were funny and had decent chemistry with each other. They kinda almost seemed like a goofy villainous counterpart to the Chaotix.

Either way, to me, they're an example of how to do villainous animals right. 

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 12:23 PM, Shadowlax said:

" I'm not weak i'm gonna get experimented on to become a totally cool guy!" 

" Are you actually gonna...fight shadow after you do that?"

" Nah , man you seen that dude he's scary as shit! Irma beat up sonic and drag shadow's name into the ground , that will show my superiority " 

" But he still beat your ass tho... " 

Well yeah. This is pretty much the story for Sonic Forces. Yet Shadow never got a rematch. Infinite is a bitch.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

On 11/6/2017 at 10:09 PM, ShadowSJG said:

Is Infinite the Broly of Sonic?

Well after Shadow called him bad names he cried a lot, for like, 3 hours. So you tell me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I bet you infinite is gonna return In the next game or be a secret boss or dlc

I feel like it’s episodic so far I really want too see more of this story ?

On 06/11/2017 at 11:09 PM, ShadowSJG said:

Sonic: "I'm getting stronger every second!"

No, Sonic is.

• Chuckle 3

5 hours ago, Super Mechanio said:

His canonical portrayal is a goofy, greedy coward in Triple Trouble.

His role in Triple Trouble is that he wants the Chaos Emeralds so he can hock them for cash, unaware of or indifferent to their magical powers. However, he's quick to run away in fear when things go wrong; Like when his mech breaks down immediately when Sonic confronts him for the first time. He does fight you a few times in the special stages, using various crazy contraptions much like Eggman himself. He later shows up in the final stage to confront you one final time for a climactic showdown... and then immediately gets scared off by Eggman.

So yeah, Fang's great, but he's definitely one of the sillier Sonic villains.

Well like I said, I don't really know Nack all that well. The mental image I got from his appearance and what little I've seen of him gave me the impression of a guy who could be pretty tough, but was prone to moments of bumbling and comedic moments mixed with a bit of Sniper from Team Fortress 2.

1 hour ago, Framerate said:

I bet you infinite is gonna return In the next game or be a secret boss or dlc

I'm willing to bet good money that literally the only games Infinite will ever show up again in are the Mario & Sonic Olympic Games ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2017 at 11:09 PM, ShadowSJG said:

Nah, infinite has cadence. Broly is just kinda Jason vorhez or the huk, he's a force to be dealt with with little reasoning. ( well the versions of the hulk that aren't smart anyway) while the entire story could be described as a force to be dealt with with no reason, on a technical level, infnite has character motivation and character. So no, however he is still terrible

5 hours ago, Eternal EX said:

Well yeah. This is pretty much the story for Sonic Forces. Yet Shadow never got a rematch. Infinite is a bitch.

" YOU DIDN'T WIN!" the character

7 hours ago, Dee Dude said:

I do agree though that the Jackal Squad could be better characters by actually showing them, stupid this story told more than show.

Yes, we should have seen more. Maybe have a few more members survive and prove instrumental to the plot.

• Thumbs Up 2

Given the webcomics in particular, my best and only guess is that they intend for Infinite's backstory to be more fleshed out in the IDW comics and possibly be a recurring villain there. Don't know what that means for his game counterpart, but if Silver can become a mainstay after the travesty he debuted in, anything's possible.

I think the best theory was Infinite being the Avatar's friend twisted into becoming Evil.

The Song''s lyrics fit incredibly well into this scenario and it'd give a reason and motive as to why the Avatar is on the resistance team.