Awoo.

At what point did Sonic Forces lose you?

dbzfan7

Well, at first I was pretty hyped for the game, and this only increased more when I saw that line from the trailer "Even heroes need help", thinking they would finally make at the very least Tails and Knuckles playable. But no... It was Classic Sonic. He didn't bother me as much though, but his stages felt too forced and automated, specially compared to Sonic Mania, and him being there was just pointless really. I honestly would prefer him to stay in his dimension.

Then, seeing the introduction of Original the Character, I truly lost hope for Sonic Forces. For some reason, he's more important than all of Sonic's friends, despite just being some random guy who (by pure luck) barely managed to survive an encounter with Infinite. And then suddenly becomes a recognized hero on par with Sonic. I hope they never bring back this feature/gimmick to a main game. Ever.

The Green Hill gameplay was pretty bad as well, alongside that terrible Sonic 4 Splash Hill Act 1 remix, and led me to think that the level design and aesthetics in general were going to be just like that. Boy, I wasn't wrong. So dull, unimaginative, and uncreative. You literally go through a straight lane when playing as Modern Sonic. To add to injury, the enemies are extremely weak, with even Motobugs being stronger, and you can literally choose if you want to enable invincibility mode (Super transformation) or even just boosting makes Sonic invulnerable to practically everything except spikes and some other obstacles.

The premise of the game was great, but mishandled greatly, and there are not any clear signs of Robotnik/Eggman ruling the world either aside some Death Egg Robots damaging a city.

So much wrong with this game...

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 12:35 AM, dbzfan7 said:

I am curious about the journey for some people. What were the stages for you when Forces was announced, but more importantly, at what point did you just suddenly not feel like this was gonna be a good game for you personally. Not to say you thought it would be bad, but at what point did your hype or excitement if you had any, just flush down the toilet and you could barely muster yourself to care outside of being a Sonic fan. Where you basically followed Forces more to see how it would turn out, rather than be excited for it and eagerly waiting for its release.

Who on earth said that Sonic Forces lost me? Way to project your opinion onto others. I enjoyed it because it was a perfectly fun (if flawed) game, and because it was a huge step up from the abominations that were Sonic Boom and Lost World. Unlike a large portion of the fandom, I'm fully capable of enjoying decent games for what they are, without blowing their flaws and shortcomings of proportion.

14 minutes ago, Dere said:

Who on earth said that Sonic Forces lost me? Way to project your opinion onto others. I enjoyed it because it was a perfectly fun (if flawed) game, and because it was a huge step up from the abominations that were Sonic Boom and Lost World. Unlike a large portion of the fandom, I'm fully capable of enjoying decent games for what they are, without blowing their flaws and shortcomings of proportion.

You COULD just say it never did lose you and leave it at that......everything else is getting up in arms about hostility that isn't there.

• Thumbs Up 3

The original trailer put me off for a while with its "even heroes need help" scene. I've grown to hate Classic Sonic because of what he represents. I started feeling more positive about Forces after they showed off the Avatar though, so I guess you can say that's when it found me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was baffled like many other people were as to what was the purpose of classic Sonic's inclusion when he showed up in the teaser, but I was admittedly still pretty interested in what Sonic Team was going to do with the final game due to the bleaker premise, the supposed reason for classic Sonic's return, and Sonic Team in general having been out of the limelight since Lost World. Looking back at it, I'd honestly say I was being pretty forgiving of what (little) was first shown off, though at the time I did admit that the fact Mania was also announced made me more lenient about Forces/Sonic 2017; due to how much more happier I was about the former game even existed at all.

The real point the game lost me however was the SXSW panel when they revealed the game would have three playstyles, as well as the 30-second barebones Boost gameplay reveal after months of nothing but a CG teaser. Those were IMO were the real red flags that warned Sonic Team hadn't actually learned anything meaningful during the four years they had since Lost World, and Forces was going to be another average unfocused misfire. From there it was just seeing just how much lower the game could go like some weird limbo game. Will give the game credit for not disappointing on that front though, especially when the Custom Hero and the E3 trailer with Infinite and the old villains both showed up.

On 2/17/2018 at 5:18 PM, Dere said:

Nothing in the OP is as aggressively generalizing about its subject matter as you're framing it out to be and your post overall reads as if you literally took the thread topic at face value. People are completely free to pass by topics they don't think personally apply to them. The only person overblowing things out of proportion is you.

And speaking of which, I think you might want to take a look at your own post first before accusing anyone else of projecting their opinion onto other people. You're throwing stones out of a glass house with some of the quality cuts of assumptions you have there about the fanbase at large.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm surprised I'm as late to this thread as I am, but it's not going to stop me from being an edgi hipster, and just come right at it from the beginning.

This game lost me the frame that Classic Sonic appeared in the initial teaser.

From that very singular atomic moment, I knew everything that I needed to know. Sonic Team let it slip that they were completely creatively bankrupt, and were leaning on the success of Generations by aping a gimmick that nobody cared about from it without understanding why it is that people liked Generations in the first point. Even cursory research from Sonic Team would've seen why doing such a thing would've been dumb, but that requires a degree of awareness that they clearly lack.

Nobody played Sonic Generations for Classic Sonic. Hell, most people don't care about Classic's presence in the game at all, except in retrospect to point out how weak and underwhelming it was in relation to Modern Sonic's half of the game. That's something that's obvious to everyone except for Sonic Team.

And everything from that point onward only served to reinforce that point. The avatar concept came across  as an attempt to appeal to an aspect of the Sonic fandom that's been widely mocked inside and out, the presence of older villains (including Zavock, who got a boss fight), @#!$ing Green Hill Zone again, the over the top and melodramatic tone for the game's narrative...

I mean, and goes without saying how the game makes all of these empty promises and fails to come up and all of them. The avatar gameplay is a joke, you have no agency over the actions of your avatar character, the two returning villains that get boss fights are Metal Sonic and Zavock (remember how people were just clamoring to have him back?), not to mention the fact that they're all illusions which is a cheap copout just to have villains again, the levels are all ridiculously short, the story is rife with character assassination and is completely underdeveloped, and that's ignoring the technical bullshit like Denuvo and questionable support for the "Pro"-consoles. Hey, remember when they tried charging actual money for Super Sonic?

Sonic Forces isn't the worst Sonic game ever, no. Far from it. The game is technically functional, and we finally have some improvements being made to the Hedgehog Engine after all. But it is definitely one of the biggest disappointments. It promised so much, and gave a complete pittance of an experience. And to reinforce what I mean, I've been on the Sonic fanfiction scene for years now. I don't think I've ever seen as many stories submitted devoted to fixing a Sonic game's story, especially not so close to launch. And given the quality of storytelling this franchise is associated with, I think that should say a lot about how many people this game disappointed just on that basis alone.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Nobody played Sonic Generations for Classic Sonic. Most people don't care about Classic's presence in the game at all, except in retrospect to point out how weak and underwhelming it was in relation to Modern Sonic's half of the game. That's something that's obvious to everyone except for Sonic Team.

Nobody played Sonic Forces for Classic Sonic, but I can guarantee you that some people played Sonic Generations for Classic Sonic.

Specifically, I'm a 2D Sonic player. I didn't need Sonic to be a Felix the Cat look-alike, and I never screamed for black eyes, but I was enticed for huge chunks of the game being in 2D.

I bought Generations, the first time I'd purchased a new Sonic game since S&K. Sometimes I only play through Act I of the first three levels along with the giant battlesuit fight (Death Egg Robot is a silly name for a non-robot), because that's the highpoint of the game for me. Sometimes I play Act I of all the stages, because 3D Sonic gameplay gives me fits - and I grow terribly jealous that Classic Sonic only has two boss battles while Modern has four.

But yes, I was confused as heck to hear about Classic Sonic in Forces. We have Mania now. He has no reason to exist anymore.

EDIT: Sonic Forces never lost me because it never had me. Sonic Generations had me when I heard the Sky Sanctuary Zone music again. I save Modern Sonic for last in that level so I can hear Knuckles call it "my Sanctuary". That kind of stuff was good for ONE game.

10 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

Nobody played Sonic Forces for Classic Sonic, but I can guarantee you that some people played Sonic Generations for Classic Sonic.

I know you know what I meant. Either case, you're clearly the exception and not the norm, and the point still stands. Sonic Team completely misinterprets the success of their prior products, and mindlessly attempts to replicate the same results by rehashing certain elements.

2 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Either case, you're clearly the exception and not the norm

Ehhh... debatable. There was a good-sized horde of us in the aftermath of the Sonic 4 disaster.

But yes, your overall point still stands.

Death Egg Robot.

Beat the game last night and it was the final boss that broke me. Using the avatar was a pain in the fight and was where I was stuck the most.

Other than that I mostly enjoyed the game.

• 2 weeks later...

There were a lot of people, including myself, who made apologies for Forces right until the leak, but I think we should get a bit of a break. It was - and still is - hard to imagine that a game four years in the making would be comprised of two minute, barebones levels. As such, it was hard to believe that the shit we were presented with was representative of the whole game. 

Then it became undeniable. The Green Hill demo was the straw that broke the back. It took a few days of processing that, but by the time the leak came, Forces had lost me. 

At the beginning I was into it for the most part. The black screen after Sonic was beaten by all the baddies with the text on it made me raise my eyebrows but from then on I was basking in the glory of just getting a chance to see all the characters and hearing them talk in the levels. I loved it so much at the start and was even really getting into the way to story was starting to play out.

After the Infinite vs. Silver fight however everything just screeched to a fucking halt.

Like, they were still talking to one another and they had more going on with their plans and shit then the previous games but I wasn't being shown any of it. They were just putting this stuff in text boxes. I was starting to not feel like I was experiencing anything anymore and that's when all the other flaws about the game (that I was already noticing) started to become even more pronounced. 

There's huge gaps in events between the scenes and after Operation Big Wave happens there's just a huge gap of nothing and then the next scene is the Death Egg exploding with this really terrible looking stock explosion effect.

And why is Eggman fucking around in Green Hill in all the cutscenes? Why isn't he at Eggmanland or his throne room or whatever? Why is he in Green Hill? 

I don't know. This one hit harder because it was literally bursting with promise, it had all my favorite characters there, and it had a really cool ass premise. To churn out something that felt about as developed as Lost World just drove a stake through my gaming heart. It's astonishing how you can have all this stuff and just do nothing with it. Even Eggman was boring in this game. How the fuck do you make Dr. Eggman boring? He was the best thing about Lost World. His lines in that game were so memorable. The only line I can really recall off the top of my head in Forces is "The Sun will fall upon you all. BOOM! The end. Your pathetic lives are over." followed by "WHAT?! What just happened?!" when the sun goes away just because it's a funny juxtaposition.

The only other one that counts are all the lines he says in the Egg Dragoon fight but that might be because I watched the video of that so much before the game came out.

• Fist Bump 1

it wasnt that bad for me i enjoyed it i just didn't like how...-- WAIT ONE SECOND 

HOW COME CLASSIC SONIC STAGES ARE LONGER THAN THE MODERN STAGES WHAT THE HELL SONC TEAM?!?!