Awoo.

Sonic Forces Impressions Thread

Shiny Gems

16 hours ago, Stephenb19 said:

I'm not a big fan of the environment direction. Metropolis and the final area are pretty cool, but I don't like how the game takes the Sonic Adventure 2 approach of few environments, but many stages.

That's actually rather unfair to Adventure 2. This game has around 7 or so environments shared between 2-3 gameplay styles. There's Sonic, Avatar, Classic Sonic, and Sonic/Avatar, all part of 7 environments.

I don't mind the 7 environments, they basically act like worlds. I do wish there were more of them.

SA2, however, had a much larger variety--

Spoiler

Most environments are only shared between two characters at most. Here's all the environments present in SA2 I can think of:
- City (City Escape, Mission Street)
- Canyon (Wild Canyon, Dry Lagoon)
- Highway (Radical Highway, Mission Street)
- Prison (Prison Lane, Iron Gate, Security Hall; last one is a little debatable)
- Harbor (Metal Harbor, Weapons Bed)
- Jungle (Green Forest, White Jungle)
- Mountain (Pumpkin Hill, Sky Rail)
- Mines (Aquatic Mine)
- Desert (Hidden Base, Sand Ocean)
- Pyramid/Ruins (Pyramid Cave, Death Chamber, Egg Quarters)
- Space Station Interior (Eternal Engine, Crazy Gadget, Lost Colony, Canon's Core)
- Planetoids (Meteor Herd, Mad Space)
- Space Station Exterior (Final Rush, Cosmic Wall, Final Chase)
- Green Hill

There's a pretty distinct difference between Meteor Herd/Mad Space and Final Rush/Cosmic Wall/Final Chase. The previous two are on small planetoids with planetoid physics within the gravity range of the Space Colony Ark. Final Rush, Cosmic Wall, and Final Chase are all based on you dashing around the outskirts of the ARK itself, which you can't even reach from Meteor Herd/Mad Space, making those two more strictly Space levels than the others.

The ARK's interior stages are also way different from the Prison Island interior levels. Security Hall I found debatable including there and maybe it could go on its own, but felt it was close enough to count it.

Mission Street I included in City only because the beginning part features parts of the same City. Otherwise, its basically entirely on the same Highway Shadow runs through in Radical Highway.

In all honesty, I'd argue Adventure 2 has way more varied environments than Adventure. Adventure has a set number of stages, with 6 different characters visiting limited parts of them. And some look vastly different from others despite being in the same rough area (Crazy Gadget from Eternal Engine/Lost Colony, Pyramid Cave from Death Chamber/Egg Quarters, Cosmic Wall from Final Rush/Final Chase, Security Hall from Prison Lane/Iron Gate).

As for this game, I haven't beaten it yet, but so far its what I expected. I'm having fun and enjoying it, but its just nothing special.

• Thumbs Up 5

You know what? I came into this game with very low expectations. Everything that I had seen or heard about the game made me less and less interested in it. And yet... when I actually sat down an played it? I could enjoy it. It baffles me, but I've come to the conclusion that it satisfies the simplistic side of me who just wants to do cool things, blast through enemies, and speed past everything in no time flat.

Mind you, I don't think this is a great game, but it's slightly above average. The levels are too short and linear for them to really make their impact big enough to care about most of them, but the bits and pieces of good ideas that are in each level could be expanded upon in a full-fledged stage.

I actually enjoy the avatar gameplay and concept the most ironically enough, with modern being my second favorite, but the Classic Sonic stuff can just go away. It's worse than in Generations and not particularly well designed. My standards for Classic are far too high in the wake of Mania for me to accept that portion of Forces' gameplay as anything but poorly-executed pandering.

I did like the concept of the story, but much like most of the game, the execution is sorely lacking.

If I were to rank this game it'd get a solid 6/10, just above average.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finished Ep Shadow. Got all trophies for this episode.

Positives:

- Shadow running "skating" animation looks great when he moves (reminds me of SA2).

- Playing as Shadow again is nice (even if his gameplay is just a re-skin of modern Sonic).

- Good to hear more Eggman dialogue. Eggman getting annoyed with Shadow is about the most interesting the story gets.

- Nice music remixs.

Negatives:

- Pretty much just re-used levels, slightly tweaked. "Forces Super Hard mode".

- even for this small dlc the story is dreadful and makes little sense.

- same boring gameplay and stage design. Too much 2d.

- not worth going back to.

Playing Modern Sonic stages with Shadow is pretty cool.

My favorite avatar stage is "Imperial Tower (level 25), it's creative with the wisps, really feels like a Sonic Colors level. Just use the hover wisp for an easy S Rank. Also, I really like the vocal music for this level.

I just bought Forces and am about halfway through the storyline (if you can call it that). So far, I have one lingering question: how did Eggman "torture" Sonic while he was imprisoned for 6 months? Tickle him? Force him to play through Sonic 06? Make escargot with margarine instead of butter?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

20 minutes ago, SonikkuForever said:

I just bought Forces and am about halfway through the storyline (if you can call it that). So far, I have one lingering question: how did Eggman "torture" Sonic while he was imprisoned for 6 months? Tickle him? Force him to play through Sonic 06? Make escargot with margarine instead of butter?

He probably forced sonic to watch every fast food restaurant that sells chili dogs get destroyed.

• Chuckle 2

OK so I finished the game today. My thoughts are close to the general consensus: the plot is a big waste of potential that goes nowhere, the levels are shallow, the controls are crippled, god are the controls terrible and the OST is one of the weaker ones in years. As for what I liked: I have to admit Stage 24 did make me smile, while incredibly cheesy, it felt like it was the only stage that showed enthusiasm from the developers. I also still like some music tracks despite the overall package being weak.

One thing I'm surprised no one brings up is how this game is a different beast if you're trying to 100% it. I can see why some people like Jim Sterling found it alright. If you're just trying to get through the story and don't care for S Ranks or challenges it's a tolerable enough experience.

However, if you're like me and you were doing all missions and S Ranks as they became available, the control issues and other problems become much more apparent. Trying to quickly do precise platforming with these controls to beat the time trial challenges is a nightmare. Modern and the Avatar go from 0 to 1000 the moment you touch the control stick, good luck getting used to that, I never did.

Also can someone explain to me what the hell the programmer of the timer of the game was thinking? Even when you're in a setpiece where you have no control and are just watching the timer keeps counting. This makes time trial challenges incredibly unfair. For example a certain cutscene for a certain boss lasts like 20 seconds before you have control again, that's 20 seconds the game stole from your attempt at completing in x minutes.

It's a bad game plain and simple, it's not broken, but it's worst than that: It's a souless game where the developers just didn't give a shit.

• Thumbs Up 7

15 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I honestly wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that whole thing was a translation error

Are we just going to call every line we don't like a translation error..? 

Did I say it actually was a translation error? No, I said it wouldn't surprise me. Because mistranslations have completely fucked up parts of the story in this franchise multiple times (see: end of Shadow the hedgehog) and it doesn't line up one bit with anything we actually see, nor is it even mentioned afterward.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, pppp said:

OK so I finished the game today. My thoughts are close to the general consensus: the plot is a big waste of potential that goes nowhere, the levels are shallow, the controls are crippled, god are the controls terrible and the OST is one of the weaker ones in years. As for what I liked: I have to admit Stage 24 did make me smile, while incredibly cheesy, it felt like it was the only stage that showed enthusiasm from the developers. I also still like some music tracks despite the overall package being weak.

One thing I'm surprised no one brings up is how this game is a different beast if you're trying to 100% it. I can see why some people like Jim Sterling found it alright. If you're just trying to get through the story and don't care for S Ranks or challenges it's a tolerable enough experience.

However, if you're like me and you were doing all missions and S Ranks as they became available, the control issues and other problems become much more apparent. Trying to quickly do precise platforming with these controls to beat the time trial challenges is a nightmare. Modern and the Avatar go from 0 to 1000 the moment you touch the control stick, good luck getting used to that, I never did.

Also can someone explain to me what the hell the programmer of the timer of the game was thinking? Even when you're in a setpiece where you have no control and are just watching the timer keeps counting. This makes time trial challenges incredibly unfair. For example a certain cutscene for a certain boss lasts like 20 seconds before you have control again, that's 20 seconds the game stole from your attempt at completing in x minutes.

It's a bad game plain and simple, it's not broken, but it's worst than that: It's a souless game where the developers just didn't give a shit.

Oh and another thing: Planning to 100% this game? Then prepare to repeat the same stages over and over to max out all Avatar classes for hours. Great replay value right guys?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, StaticMania said:

What about the "end of Shadow the Hedgehog"...?

"We were wrong about him" from GUN at the end is supposed to refer to Shadow, not Gerald. The English version makes them forgive a man who tried to crash what was a essentially a meteor into the Earth. Shadow's own dialogue there also sort of suggests wanting to keep the Ark disaster from ever happening again, justifying his eventual joining GUN.

It doesn't save it from being the worst thing ever, but the localization mistakes just add an extra layer of "what the fuck" to the plot.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, pppp said:

Oh and another thing: Planning to 100% this game? Then prepare to repeat the same stages over and over to max out all Avatar classes for hours. Great replay value right guys?

Yep just like a mmo where I run the same dungeon and fight the same voss 10 times to level up

So I've been replaying some staves and honestly I'm having a blast I love the avatar the more I play then I'm hoping in the future they go more in death with how you can customize them. I love my avi but having all the females flat as boards is odd sometimes

25 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Yep just like a mmo where I repeat the same dungeon and fight the same boss 10 times to level up.

Except in those games(good ones at least) there's variety in dungeons, making the task much more bearable. Every stage in Forces feels like the same affair.

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, pppp said:

Except in those games(good ones at least) there's variety in dungeons, making the task much more bearable. Every stage in Forces feels like the same affair.

True, but many mmos dungeons while each different than the last  become a learned affair, you learn where bosses appear and what enemeies to expect such as FF or WOW where you eventually just rush a dungeon the fastest way possible to fight a boss with the same attacks for a chance at new gear or the same gear, rinse and repeat as neext Pso2 sort of changes it up by sometimes tossing some random boss on top of a boss you were expecting to add more thrill to getting to that latter boss you came to fight.

I've gotten three out of seven classes to three star honors just doing red rings and trying to s rank everything. It's not really that taxing, especially when you're using exp bonuses.

I managed to do just under 5 out of 7 characters doing S ranks and collectibles.  I'm pretty confident finishing all Missions will do the last two no problem.

Also if 100%ing the game sounds tedious to you go 100% a different game.  Fairly straightforward.

3 hours ago, JezMM said:

Also if 100%ing the game sounds tedious to you go 100% a different game.  Fairly straightforward.

This sounds awfully close to "don't like it, don't play it". It's perfectly reasonable to point out and criticise the fact that a certain aspect of a game is worse or more tedious than its predecessors; nobody likes seeing the things they enjoy get worse. However, I might be biased here because I already witnessed my other favourite series fall victim to an absolutely terrible degree of artificial gameplay extension, and so have little patience for padding in general.

5 hours ago, A_W said:

This sounds awfully close to "don't like it, don't play it". It's perfectly reasonable to point out and criticise the fact that a certain aspect of a game is worse or more tedious than its predecessors; nobody likes seeing the things they enjoy get worse. However, I might be biased here because I already witnessed my other favourite series fall victim to an absolutely terrible degree of artificial gameplay extension, and so have little patience for padding in general.

I mean the point is though 100%ing this game is only tedious if you don't enjoy the base gameplay to begin with.  It's flawed, and I mean VERY flawed, but I do enjoy the act of playing through the stages, so I haven't found it tedious at all.

And considering I've done 5/7 avatar types to rank 30 and I'm still not done with the content I'd be doing regardless of that achievement (missions, in this case), I'm yet to have to grind for the sake of grinding at all yet.

I just feel there's a significant difference between criticising artificial extension that gives you more to do after finishing the mandatory content.  If it had been something like "every 5 stages there's a gate where you have to be a certain rank to progress" I'd be totally on board with calling it artificial extension, but as is, not so much.

Hell to be honest I'm glad the achievement is there myself, because I don't indulge myself in character creator stuff much, I would've probably just used the one avatar from the beginning to 100% completion, but now that I'm deep into it, I'm glad the game forced me to make an avatar of each type to 100% it, since I ended up having fun designing them with all the stuff I unlocked over the course of getting all the collectibles/S-ranks and ranking up each one.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I mean the point is though 100%ing this game is only tedious if you don't enjoy the base gameplay to begin with.  It's flawed, and I mean VERY flawed, but I do enjoy the act of playing through the stages, so I haven't found it tedious at all.

And considering I've done 5/7 avatar types to rank 30 and I'm still not done with the content I'd be doing regardless of that achievement (missions, in this case), I'm yet to have to grind for the sake of grinding at all yet.

Oh, I see. Apologies for misinterpreting your comment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Little update on my thought: I'm still playing the game, so it can't be that bad. i repeat my previous comparison: it's old bag of chips kind of fun. A bit low shelf and when you think about it's flawed, but still counts as 'fun'. I'm enjoying myself collecting S-ranks, red rings and new clothes for my Avatars. With that said it's a shame I found new things I don't like about this game.

1 Quick Time Events are never good, but in Sonic? When I'm trying for a 3rd time to get a S-rank, watching that dumb snake or space ships again and again really get's on my nerve. The fact that I can't play Shadow in those levels (and team-levels) is extra kick in the crouch.

2 Getting S-ranks in Shadow Bonus was probably the hardest... which is the moment I noticed Daily Bonus. You know, you do some pathetically easy task and you get XP bonus for 30 minutes? It would be nice for getting medals faster, but it also multiplies your score. So I can die twice in a stage, loose all my rings and waste some time with number rings and still get S-rank.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd hate to bump a thread, but I finally managed to complete the game just now. In the last month I've owned Forces, school and exams have kicked my ass and I've only been able to get a few nights to finish the game just recently.

Positives:

• Very pretty looking game. Sonic Team would never fail on this regard, pretty much every Sonic game since Adventure has had great visuals.
  • Story is better than any other Sonic game in the last 7 years, but that isn't saying much.
  • The character creation has a wide diverse range of thing to choose from. Had a good time attempting to make Coldsteel, but to not much success.
  • Great music. Need I say any more? It's a Sonic game. (although pretty much every Classic song except Ghost Town gave me a headache)
  • Avatar's gameplay and levels are where this game shines. Decently long, but are overly dependent on the wispons. Press RT with the fire wispon and you could fly through these levels.

Negatives:

• The physics of Classic Sonic's levels were strange. The levels were very slow. It felt like they were a chore to play through.
  • Why is the drift gone?
  • Modern Sonic's levels are way too short. All of them took less than 2 minutes to complete, and the levels were extremely linear, and dependent on the boost mechanic. The Mystic Jungle level was the worst offender.
  • Short game. Took me about 3 hours to complete the campaign + Episode Shadow.

Overall, the game is a good effort, but it is very dry and shallow. While it is the weakest of the Boost games, it is much better than Heroes, Lost World, and of course '06 and Rise of Lyric.

• Fist Bump 1