Awoo.

Was Sonic Forces False Advertising?

SpongicX

20 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

How so?

They hyped up Shadow, Chaos, Metal Sonic and Zavok working together but nothing came of it. They said stuff like, Shadow fights for his own reasons but nothing. 

Also, the posters hyped this up as well.

• Thumbs Up 8

4 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

They hyped up Shadow, Chaos, Metal Sonic and Zavok working together but nothing came of it. They said stuff like, Shadow fights for his own reasons but nothing. 

Oh, yeah you've got a good point.

15 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

There are also three less levels in the game than what the marketing led us to believe. 

When did the marketing mention stage counts?

24 minutes ago, JezMM said:

When did the marketing mention stage counts?

When they announced the Shadow DLC, they said Modern had 10 stages.

• Thumbs Up 2

Strictly speaking, what they said was that you could play as Shadow in "over ten Modern Sonic stages."  How many stages is Shadow playable in, in the end?

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Strictly speaking, what they said was that you could play as Shadow in "over ten Modern Sonic stages."  How many stages is Shadow playable in, in the end?

He's only playable in, like, five Modern story stages (basically ones with no QTE), and also the bonus stages. Which I guess does equal over ten

29 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

When they announced the Shadow DLC, they said Modern had 10 stages.

They said he had over ten, counting his stages and bonus levels.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sounds about right, I figured this would be the case that they would include bonus stages in that count... and honestly why wouldn't they, not surprised at all.

I was disappointed in the Shadow DLC, he was missing from too many levels, and was stuck mostly playable in those lousy and boring extra stages. Shadow was clearly missing from any level that had quick time events... Shadow was mostly a reskin of Sonic with a different running animation, it shouldn’t have been that hard for Shadow to work in quick time events (another reason to hate the quick time events...)

Shadow’s exclusive stages were a let down, they were mostly just recycled levels, and a boring side scrolling green hill zone with repetitive blocky platforming. The other stages were just Sonic’s version of the city level, but with spinning spike ball obstacles, and placing Shadow in the Avatar’s waterslide level.

On 11/9/2017 at 5:13 AM, SpongicX said:

It seems Sega lied to the viewers over a lot of things in this game, or told us incorrectly. Remember when they said it would run on the “Hedgehog Engine 2?” Whatever engine it was running did not feel at all as good as the one from Unleashed.

Remember when they confirmed the game would have seperate story modes for the characters? That was obviously non existent, it was more like the structure of Sonic Adventure 2, except with one story mode, instead of three. We didn’t get a story mode for any of the characters, besides Shadow’s short dlc. The story swapped around between the 3 different characters, we had no influence on seeing sides of the story.

They mentioned Sonic’s friends would be more involved and have larger roles, but they honestly did not. Technically, Sonic Heroes gave them more to do, because they were actually playable. Just seeing them stand around and chat, or pull off one attack is not the most exciting way to see these characters return after so long, they were still put to the sides over Sonic, Classic, and the new Avatar. Shadow was even made playable, yet his dlc didn’t add anything valuable, and his role in the actual game was wasted and unexplained as well. The game tried fooling us into thinking he betrayed everyone, yet it turns out it was an evil fake. Where was the real Shadow this whole time? He apparently wasn’t captured like Sonic, so what’s his excuse for not helping the resistance until Sonic reappeared?

I don’t know about you guys, but this game felt like a let down, and Sega definitely wasn’t honest with us about the final product.

Meh...I thought it was okay, but definitely needs work In the level design department

Maybe consider this.

The developers of No Man's Sky made several promotional statements prior to initial launch about features in their game. Not about something plot-related and nebulous like characters having a bigger role (which compared to the Sonic Team games made from Colours onwards, they definitely do) or whether Shadow is an actual bad guy or not (that, sweetheart, is called a bait and switch and was itself part of the game's story) but about actual gameplay features. When these features didn't surface at launch, they were actually investigated for false advertising by the Advertising Standards Authority.

And cleared.

Because said features were not the concern of the final advertising, and what differences the ASA could see between advertising and their best bet at recreation was so minor that it did not fall out of what could be expected for pre-release vs final.

As for the engine concern, they never said it was running on the same engine as Unleashed, neither did they ever contradict that they were referring to a graphics engine. And even if the Hedgehog Engine and Hedgehog Engine 2 were successive game engines, nothing about the engine's name containing a 2 legally guarantees better quality. Otherwise Disney would've been straight out of business in the 90s.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, DoubleXXCross said:

Maybe consider this.

The developers of No Man's Sky made several promotional statements prior to initial launch about features in their game. Not about something plot-related and nebulous like characters having a bigger role (which compared to the Sonic Team games made from Colours onwards, they definitely do) or whether Shadow is an actual bad guy or not (that, sweetheart, is called a bait and switch and was itself part of the game's story) but about actual gameplay features. When these features didn't surface at launch, they were actually investigated for false advertising by the Advertising Standards Authority.

And cleared.

Because said features were not the concern of the final advertising, and what differences the ASA could see between advertising and their best bet at recreation was so minor that it did not fall out of what could be expected for pre-release vs final.

As for the engine concern, they never said it was running on the same engine as Unleashed, neither did they ever contradict that they were referring to a graphics engine. And even if the Hedgehog Engine and Hedgehog Engine 2 were successive game engines, nothing about the engine's name containing a 2 legally guarantees better quality. Otherwise Disney would've been straight out of business in the 90s.

I know it’s not the same engine as Unleashed, but they made a big deal over how it has “2” in the title. It gave the implication that it would be better than the engine in Unleashed. Maybe the engine was technically better, but what good is there in wasting an improved engine on a game that mostly plays itself, and is prone to mess up during the parts where you are in control?

It probably doesn’t help that I got the Switch version, where the textures, resolution, and framerate take a big dip, but considering how the Switch is supposed to have better specs than an Xbox 360 or PS3, there is no reason for the game to look overall worse than Unleashed. I will admit some parts of the game looked great, but it’s a shame how a lot of it goes unoticed, since the best looking moments are saved for destruction going on in the backgrounds or quick time events, and not what really matters.

If I were to have realized the Switch version would be so weak, I would have gotten the PS4 version instead, but I wanted the game to be portable, so I took the risk of getting the Switch version.

16 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I know it’s not the same engine as Unleashed, but they made a big deal over how it has “2” in the title. It gave the implication that it would be better than the engine in Unleashed. Maybe the engine was technically better, but what good is there in wasting an improved engine on a game that mostly plays itself, and is prone to mess up during the parts where you are in control?

It probably doesn’t help that I got the Switch version, where the textures, resolution, and framerate take a big dip, but considering how the Switch is supposed to have better specs than an Xbox 360 or PS3, there is no reason for the game to look overall worse than Unleashed. I will admit some parts of the game looked great, but it’s a shame how a lot of it goes unoticed, since the best looking moments are saved for destruction going on in the backgrounds or quick time events, and not what really matters.

If I were to have realized the Switch version would be so weak, I would have gotten the PS4 version instead, but I wanted the game to be portable, so I took the risk of getting the Switch version.

But as you say, it "gave the implication". If they actually said anything specific to that effect, it's false advertising (though probably not illegally so), but if they didn't, it's entirely on you.

(Besides, I imagine the purpose of improving it was to make the background events run smoother. That's a lot of extra polygons, animation and lighting calculation on screen for what amounts to no practical reason beyond being interesting.)

Hard to say.... Actually I would say no. All the characters that where showed in the trailers did show up in the game. They never told us that Chaos will be boss, only that he is in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

YES IT IS.

When Iizuka says something like "We want you to ask yourselves what's up with Chaos, why did he decide to join Eggman, we want you to feel the suspens and mystery..."

I thought Infinite had an intricate relation with these villains, like promising Shadow to see Maria, or framing the world for killing some Chao to manipulate Chaos in...

But no,

Turns out to be a cheap illusion,

it.is.a.false.advertisement.

Even the song is false advertisement. We'd think that Infinite is the darkest villain, who had a tragic story, and for whatever reason it's tied to Sonic's past or something. A villain with such a melancholic past, but a bloodthirsty need for REVENGE.

Yeah, no -___-

What's even more sad, it's that it was the same leaders that worked in SA2!! You'd think they would know how to make a good game eh?

• Absolutely 1

That the answer was really dumb doesn't mean it's false advertising. It's just really shitty writing.

• Thumbs Up 5

We never fought Chaos, we never got to do anything referring to him! He had no part in the story! They shouldn't have included his clones!

He just isn't there.

SEGA is shamelessly manipulating their FANS. Using their weak spots to get purchases fast!!

This game was supposed to do justice for the Sonic Adventure legacy that we GREW UP with.

• Absolutely 1

You know what else they lied about?d15.jpg

On 11/9/2017 at 8:42 PM, ShadowSJG said:

Yeah, that was definitely the considerable letdown. Even if I was mostly interested in Zavok and Chaos.

I mean, Iizuka was responsible for Adventure 1 and 2 and Heroes...

He should respect his legacy by better using these characters, or not use them at all!

I don't understand why Forces should have been assumed to be a better continuation of the Adventure titles and concepts and characters than any other game Sonic Team has made since then though? I mean, the first time around the Iizuka was the steward of the franchise he did far more to grind the goodwill people had towards the two Adventure games into the ground than he has since coming back in charge of it after Unleashed. What makes Forces notable in that regard?

Because it's the first game since 2008 with a "dark" story, "dark" atmosphere, +theme songs for the new villain, who had a cool design and reminescent on the Adventure games.

(If Zavok was created specially for Forces, he'd look like a real demon!).

+They got Chaos and Shadow as villains! (a status they don't have anymore since 1998 and 2001).

Because it's the first game since 2008 to feature many important Sonic characters in the same game in which they have a role! (post-2008 games had only Sonic and Tails, and 30 seconds of Amy and Knuckles!)

• Thumbs Up 1

2008 itself was far past the sell-by date to expect a continuation of any themes or character arcs from the Adventure games, even ignoring the irreparable damage three games in a row had already done to those things by that point anyway. Forces came out nearly ten years after that. Regardless of whatever pie-in-the-sky things Iizuka said, what was the direct link Forces had to the Adventure titles that makes the game damage the goodwill those had if ShtH and STH '06 hadn't already destroyed it long before?

• Thumbs Up 2

The fact that they added Chaos and Shadow as villains must force them to respect that.

ShTH and Sonic 06 had an actual story, and actual ambitions, they have more merit than Forces in that regard.

They don't try to shoehorn Classic Sonic to attract the classisists, and they don't shoehorn Chaos to attract the adventurists. And they don't kill the serious vibe with cringey jokes!

Each time, they did something new! And introduce new concepts and characters, and ACTUALLY explain them. (No explanations were given to Infinite or Phantom Ruby, if Eggman created or recruited Infinite... Even the Deadly Six in lost world got no explanations...)

My point is that after 2008, we basically lost all these lore and interesting stories, granted Unleashed was great, but it lacked the other characters, and the games after it ignored all these characters and lore.

10 years is not long for me, we had like what? 3 main games since then (Colors, Lost World, Forces) + 1 anniversary game!

• Thumbs Up 2