Awoo.

Which Gameplay style do you think the next 3D Sonic game will have?

Detective Kaito

I wanted to wait for a lot of reviews of Sonic Forces to come out before I decided to make this thread because the critical success of this game would naturally decide the future decisions for Sonic Team.

Since Sonic Forces wasn't very well received, the next gameplay style for Sonic isn't set in stone, at least not a 100%. The Boost gameplay isn't as criticized by critics and fans as much as the Lost World gameplay was, so it's very possible that the Boost gameplay will return in the next Sonic game, just hopefully with better level design.

After Sonic Generations, a good chunk of the fanbase wanted or at least expected Sonic Team would make a fully 3D Boost game with even better level design than Generations, but instead, we were given the Lost World gameplay style.

When Sonic Forces was confirmed to have the Boost gameplay return, not everyone was excited about it, because, by the time the gameplay style was changed in Lost World, it was too late to go back to the Boost gameplay.

I've noticed recently that a lot of fans have been asking for the Sonic gameplay style from Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 to make a full comeback. With today's advancements, the Adventure gameplay could be heavily improved upon.

For the next Sonic game, Sonic Team could bring back the Boost, Adventure, something completely new, or another existing gameplay style (like Lost World's).

Please note there's a difference between "Which Gameplay style do you think the next 3D Sonic game will have?" and "Which Gameplay style do you think the next 3D Sonic game should have?" and I'm asking the former as the title shows, as I'm sure a lot of people on these forums think that Sonic Team should make something like Sonic Utopia.

As such, I've made a poll, as I think it would be interesting to look back on it once Sonic Team announces the next Sonic game in a few years.

http://www.strawpoll.me/14381204

• Thumbs Up 1

I, Like the minority, actually like the Boost games. Colors and Forces were the weakest. Genz and Unleashed were the best. And to an extent, Unleashed was the best. I wouldn't be against another BOOST game as long as it was as good as Unleashed and Genz. But if they wer to finally return to full 3D I'd support it, if it turned out good. Just no more Forces and Colors type levels. As in super short and filler levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I had to guess, I'd probably say more boost, because that's a style they at least have experience and a limited grasp of. But after Forces that's something they might turn away from, in which case I'd expect some new style. I doubt they'd go back to Adventure style after it's been this long, and I doubt they'd go back to something like Lost World's gameplay since it didn't work the first time.

It's Sonic Team, though, so who knows.

• Thumbs Up 6

Most likely Boost again depending on Forces' reception.

Although another LW like experiment isn't too out of the question.

A huge majority including me really desires the Adventure gameplay return while some prefer the open world gameplay similar to projects like Utopia and Islands.

What I pray they don't bring back are the god awful attempts at emulating Classic's gameplay or the choppy 2D platforming of the Boost series.

I dunno, Sonic Team is very unpredictable, they go with whatever gameplay they put their mind to.

For better or worse.

want Adventure style gameplay.

expect boost, though. Which is unfortunate for me, as I'm not a fan of that gameplay style.

• Thumbs Up 3

Their imagination is pretty limited so if they decide to abandon the Boost again in favor of something new once more, they may accidentally end up creating a game that played like the Adventure series. And Iizuka will be like "This is the new Legacy Ultimatum Sonic". 

If they stick with the Boost I doubt it's going to be anything like it was with Unleashed or Generations. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's honestly really hard to tell at this point. I haven't actually played Forces so bare with me, but from the footage I've seen, the entire project seemed very cynically calculated. Inclusion of Classic Sonic and the Custom Hero to appease two very distinct sections of the fanbase, returning villains from more popular times in the franchise (who only appear in cutscenes apart from Zavok, so I'm told), and an edgy plot that's not too edgy and leans back on Colors/Lost World-essque writing to create a hollow drama. And then to top the entire thing off, the entire game's only about three hours long and has some of the most lackluster level design and music in the entire series.

I bring up these facts because it feels like the direction the franchise has been heading in since Colors. Not since Unleashed have Sonic Team given us a game that felt ambitious or like it had any kind of passion or TLC in it. They've been learning the wrong lessons from their mistakes since at least 1998, with notable flukes that turned out to be actual successes in Colors and Generations, and I'm not gonna lie, Forces feels like rock bottom. Because at least with 06, we could laugh at how horrendously bad it was. For all its numerous failings, they clearly had an idea. A terrible one, but an idea nonetheless. Forces doesn't make me laugh at its expense, it makes me feel depressed and empty. Because this is what Sonic Team thinks we want.

So, returning to the original question at hand, of what's next for Sonic Team, I can''t say for sure because, I mean, they're Sonic Team. But I have two potential outlooks: a hopeful one and a cynical one.

Hopefully, Sonic Team just stops for a while. They take a good look, a REAL look at the situation around them, and design their next project around simplification. Not necessarily throwing out baggage, because they've already tried that multiple times, and it's never made things better. I mean they go back to basics. And when I say "back to basics," I don't mean classic era. I don't mean Adventure era. I don't even mean Boost or Boom era. I mean they set out to make a simple, speedy, 3D platformer. No frills, no intricate narrative, MAYBE an alternate gameplay style to pad out game time, but one which compliments the main gameplay instead of distracts from it; hopefully something that is also both fast and 3D platforming-centric. Really, it doesn't have to be that ambitious a game. What matters is that they get the details right; fine-tuning physics, cute character interactions, making the player feel good about going fast. They don't need to make a huge game. They just need to make a good game. One that has clear passion and effort behind it. Maybe bring in a new, younger team. Have some of the old guard be a little more hands-off. Don't make it about clearing Sonic's name. Just making something Sonic Team sincerely WANTS to make.

Cynically, they could just make yet another boost game with more nostalgia pandering and Wisps added in for no good reason because hey, people loved them in Colors and totally didn't hate them in Lost World or Forces! Basically just Forces 2 with an even more bare-bones plot. And more quippy one-liners, because we definitely need more of those.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe a cross between Adventure and boost gameplay? I want Sonic’s loose controls, momentum, and spin dash from Adventure, but have moments that can utilize boost.  My biggest complaints with boost games (besides limited playable characters) are how stiff the controls feel for Sonic, and how narrow the levels are. If they can fix it up, I wouldn’t mind seeing camera controls. I miss being able to rotate the camera around, it made level exploration more fun, and sometimes helped out in certain areas ( not always, but that’s why I want to see it improved.)

I’d love a game that is designed to utilze exploration like in Adventure, yet allow players to use boost. Some of you may think it sounds pointless to have boost and  spindash in the same game, but look at it this way. Boost may make you move real fast, but the movement feels limited when going so fast. Spin dash gives you more control, and can build up speed when going down a hill. I also miss being able to take out enemies by rolling around in circles.

Imagine the fun of being able to roll down a hill, followed by kicking into a speed boost for more speed. That could make for some exciting gameplay, with the right level designs and gameplay physics. Many argue they like Adventure better, while others like boost style better, to that I say, why not both? Why not make a game that lets players use spin dash, boost, or both? I would also like the forced 2d segments out, and would rather Sega go back to making seperate games for the 2D fans, while trying to improve for those who want a proper 3d game.

I think Iizuka, faced with a lack of reliable options is gonna pull the trigger and finally do it- Sonic Adventure 3.

But seeing as how Sonic Forces, a game with two whole Sonics didn't go over well, Sonic Team will decided the way forward is less Sonics. And so they will rebrand themselves merely as Team and simply call it Adventure 3. And just to be safe, there should be no fast levels- so just mechs, treasure hunting, and fishing. But seeing as Big is still too shitty of a friend, you can create a new avatar to be your fisherman or import from Forces.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

To be honest I really don't give a single cent as to what gameplay direction they go with, I just want level design that:

1) is actually good and isn't some bland basic platforming level with sonic slapped onto it

2) actually compliments Sonic's abilities and doesn't just work against it.

And 3) If we're going short or longer length, pack them in with content that befits that length instead of just making it long or short for the sake of it.

The gameplay direction at this point could be anything and i'd be perfectly okay with it but for the love of god I just want them to go all in on the direction instead of putting it in the oven then pulling it out half-baked to (either) rush some stupid deadline or because they just didn't want to put in the effort to make it better.

We need fully 3D, with more development level design (new level of design from Adventure 1-2 (and Heroes), with really difficulty (if someone choose this level), and without "Press X for Win". And - NO! MORE! 2D! IN 3D!!!

• Thumbs Up 1