Awoo.

Comfy shit

Wraith

I agree completely.

It's hard to care about the big bad epic stuff happening to the world if we never get to see the nicer, more relaxed side of the world we're protecting. I think that letting us have light, happy, relaxed moments and areas like this helps the audience to really know the world Sonic lives in and the people who inhabit it, so that when Eggman or some other villain does threaten its way of life, we care a lot more.

• Thumbs Up 6

What I found the most fun about those Screensaver artworks was imagining a story around each one. Like that one of Sonic at the bus stop. Where's he going? Is he going on vacation? Has he already been on vacation and waiting to go home?

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

I agree completely.

It's hard to care about the big bad epic stuff happening to the world if we never get to see the nicer, more relaxed side of the world we're protecting. I think that letting us have light, happy, relaxed moments and areas like this helps the audience to really know the world Sonic lives in and the people who inhabit it, so that when Eggman or some other villain does threaten its way of life, we care a lot more.

This... This guy/girl gets it.

I've got mixed feelings about this sort of thing. While I can see some value in it, I think it's a hard thing to do well, especially for Sonic, where the go-fast mentality rules and where the setting and characters have repeatedly failed to endear themselves to a lot of people. Making a bunch of hub world style content isn't worth it if most players are just going to rush past it to get to the actual game, and if you force it on players they're likely to end up resenting it.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

There are more "playful" levels like Windy Valley and Twinkle park where the stakes aren't so high to contrast with the other, more traditionally high octane ones like Sky Deck , Lost World and final Egg.

Now this kind of thing is where I think the chill, breather-type content works the best for me. Instead of feeling like a break from the game, it's just...a different side of the same idea, I guess. You still do all the same things Sonic normally does, and it works just as well as a level as any other, but you take the pressure off, maybe lower the difficulty a bit, and just let the player play around in it.

If they were going to do some kind of out-of-level content...while I've generally been against an entire Sonic game being open world, having one big, open hub, and making Sonic inherently fun to control in it, is probably the way I'd go. Make it one big playground with some interesting things to find and interact with.

• Thumbs Up 4

Meh. I'm for some calmer moments just for some occasional contrast to everything else I guess but I've never been much a fan of hub worlds in Sonic games at all. This is just me but it always felt like such a damn buzzkill to go through a cool level and then have to faff about doing some boring shit in a town or whatever before I can get back to what I want to actually be doing. 

• Thumbs Up 1