Awoo.

Mario Bros. Animated Movie Coming from Illumination

DaddlerTheDalek

Negotiations between Nintendo and Illumination have gone on for more than a year, and coincides with a deal struck last year for Universal theme parks to build attractions based on the Mario Bros. property. The video game’s creator, Shigeru Miyamoto, is expected to be a producer on the film and have a say in the creative development, alongside Illumination’s CEO Chris Meledandri. The film is still in the early stages of planning and wouldn’t come out for several years, and would be animated at Illumination’s Paris-based studio Mac Guff.9

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/902903-mario-bros-animated-movie-coming-from-illumination-entertainment#GEW0aexYXbkj6qQV.99

I bet 3 PayPal bucks that it will be better received than the Sonic Movie, assuming both are released and development hell doesn’t occur.

28 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Who's excited to see the Toads be turned into the minions of this movie?

They're basically Minions already- Annoying voices, no unique character designs, constantly shoved into the audience's faces.

Also, I find this movie deal kinda amusing since Mario has recently joined forces with the Rabbids, who were arguably the Minions' predecessors.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Give me "Any Paper Mario-styled plot that isn't Sticker Star or Color Splash: The movie" and I will love you forever, Shiggy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I could never see it being as bad as a broken link

Anyway, I don't see it being any good though. Illumination is cheap-ass animation. The first Despicable Me is...serviceable? But the rest of their library is either shit or completely uninspired.

2 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Anyway, I don't see it being any good though. Illumination is cheap-ass animation. The first Despicable Me is...serviceable? But the rest of their library is either shit or completely uninspired.

Tell that to the box office it has.

But obviously I know what you mean. It's just...people will still watch the film in droves.

Oh god please no. Illumination used to make great films and were a hopeful studio years and years ago, but now like every animation studio, with the slight exception of Pixar, make nothing more than bland and dull sequels to print money. Despicable Me is their cash cow and as a result it is dramatically reducing the quality of all of their films in the long run.

Good lord, they'll be killing off the good name of Yoshi, toads or koopas by using the marketing strategy that worked for the minions. I fear that day may come.

This could probably end up being the best video game movie ever made. But that isn't saying much...

You know those guys who made all those shitty Ice Age sequels? They made The Peanuts Movie and it turned out spectacular because the Schulz estate ruled its production with an iron fist over every facet, right down to its depiction of any and all technology depicted in it.

If Nintendo maintains a similar level of creative control over the film, especially after the live-action disaster, it'll probably actually end up being great.

• Thumbs Up 9

23 minutes ago, Sean said:

You know those guys who made all those shitty Ice Age sequels? They made The Peanuts Movie and it turned out spectacular because the Schulz estate ruled its production with an iron fist over every facet, right down to its depiction of any and all technology depicted in it.

If Nintendo maintains a similar level of creative control over the film, especially after the live-action disaster, it'll probably actually end up being great.

Just as long as they don't make the same mistakes they made with the live-action Mario film.

13 hours ago, Sean said:

Then the issue is going to lie in if they can actually create a compelling lighthearted story for a Mario game. Which... I am skeptical about given reasons like how much Miyamoto is resistant to how dumbed down the storytelling in both RPG series have become. Even going outside of Mario, Nintendo's specialty is moreso player immersion in gameplay and worldbuilding rather than their series actually having strong stories you would care about exactly as is but on paper. Unless if you were reading a novel/manga adaptation that allows creative liberties to expand on story elements. Like the various Zelda and Pokemon manga.

The most we can really go by on what the story might be like is the cutscenes in Sunshine and Odyssey, Rosalina's backstory in Galaxy 1, the zany and humorous story progression of Mario & Luigi, and maybe those hilarious intros to Power Tennis and Toadstool Tour made by Camelot Software Planning. The latter two things can work well for a series of shorts where all the characters don't talk, or maybe even an animated tv show. But a whole movie?

Eh, I'm skeptical until I see a trailer. I mean, if a video game platformer franchise as cinematically humor/story-driven as Ratchet & Clank flopped... Then again, that was moreso due to the fact that the now ex-head writer of the games had his script replaced by the mediocre director of the movie. So right now, it's evolve or die beyond Nintendo's usual comfort zone for making a memorable Mario Bros. adventure story.

It would be delightfully ironic if the movie ended up being successful enough to let main Mario platformers have more story focus lol.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the movie's real, and its ETA is 2020, but Illumination may or may not be the studio behind it:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/299203

"In an interview with Kyoto Shimbun, Nintendo's president Tatsumi Kimishima says he hopes to come to an agreement with a partner for a Super Mario Bros. movie. If that agreement happens, then an official announcement of the project could come soon. On top of all that, if everything proceeds smoothly, Kimishima says that the movie could be ready by 2020."

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Now I am excited about this.  We'll get to know what the voice of Mario is like with dialogue.  It's not just gonna be stuff like "it'sa me, Mario!", "yahoo!", "here we go!", etc.  I totally look forward to it!

I dunno of anybody knows this about me, but I hate Illumination. Aside from the original Despicable Mes, I found all their films, boring, stupid, or a total insult. Sometimes, all three at once.

One of my favorite books is The Lorax, and the movie treatment continues to piss me off to this day.

I'm still holding out hope for this, however just as long as Nintendo's creative control is that of an iron grip. Please don't Lorax-ify Mario. I'll give you one chance. Pleeeease don't screw this up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I think Illumination is kinda the worst company for a Mario movie, since we know how they treat characters with no dialogue *Stares at minions*. That is, if Mario WILL get a proper voiceover, I'd kinda be glad, cos then I wouldn't have to sit through five hours worth of "Y A A H O O".

I would also LOVE to see Waluigi finally get SOME spotlight, but, who am I kidding, it's just gonna be Mario, Peach and Koopa all over again. 

Also, hey, at least we'll get a terribly bad dub here In Russia to laugh at.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/301026-nintendo-confirms-the-super-mario-movie-collab-with-illumination

Well, ready or not, here we go. Miyamoto is co-producer, so maybe this it's okay if he plays it safe this time around. Don't let us down, buddy.

I personally am pretty stoked, but I still know it'll probrably be a long wait. Illuminations is known for it's miniscile budgets in it's films, but maybe they'll step it up or find better work-arounds. I'll still end up seeing it anyway; it'll likely be an acceptable little popcorn flick.

In fact, I'd be perfectly fine with Bowser Minions becoming the Minions of this film. It would fit pretty well with how dumb they normally are in the game, and make them stand out more compared to how scary Bowser is. It'd also give a good reason to stop protraying them as good guys and Mario bad, and people will find more sayisfying to easily beat them up in the games. Now if it were Toad that got that treatment, than we have a problem. 

This'll probrably not be as funny as Deadpool's Pokemon, but it's already a better film than Sonic the Smurformer. Who knows? Miyamoto just might be able to make this work. If Mario can live through Rabbids, then Minions should be cakewalk for him.

And speaking of: 

https://gonintendo.com/stories/301018-grant-kirkhope-would-love-to-compose-for-the-super-mario-bros-an

• 3 years later...

Bump. So yeah, we now know the movie cast and…yeah. Barring chris Pratt Mario, I’m interested to hear everyone else’s versions of these characters. People joke about Seth Rogen being DK, but I can kinda see it tbh lol. I’m at least happy that Charles is in the film at all vs not being part of it, but still, him not being mario is gonna be weird, even if it was inevitable due to this being a Hollywood blockbuster title

Also apparently there are reports that the movie is just gonna be called…Mario. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

3 hours ago, KHCast said:

Bump. So yeah, we now know the movie cast and…yeah. Barring chris Pratt Mario, I’m interested to hear everyone else’s versions of these characters. People joke about Seth Rogen being DK, but I can kinda see it tbh lol. I’m at least happy that Charles is in the film at all vs not being part of it, but still, him not being mario is gonna be weird, even if it was inevitable due to this being a Hollywood blockbuster title

Also apparently there are reports that the movie is just gonna be called…Mario. 

"Mario" what? Why not keep "Super" and "Bros" in there? If they called the Sonic movie just "Sonic," it wouldn't sound as appealing to those unaware of the series. "Sonic" could've been about jets or race cars for all they knew. Just calling it "Mario" just doesn't stand out enough for the general audience.

Also, how much you wanna bet they're going to give everyone a redesign for the movie? There's no way they could use their original looks with different voices, and expect people to roll with it. Super Mario Redesign Part 1 (2013) by Bonny John on Dribbble

image.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is my predictions for next Mario voice actors for the film:
Danny DeVito as Wario

Chris Kratt as Yoshi

Athena Karkanis as Princess Daisy

Kyla Pratt as Dixie Kong

Danny Trejo as Waluigi

Sandra Bullock as Pauline

Katie Crown as Toadette

Zendaya as Princess Rosalina

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

You know, I have an interesting question, What if the Mario movie turns out to be Illumination's Spider-Verse?

"Illumination" and "Spider-verse" are two words that cannot co-exist together.