Awoo.

Mario Bros. Animated Movie Coming from Illumination

DaddlerTheDalek

56 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

There's honestly going to be a problem if Mario is the lowest point of his own movie, given how we expect him to be the focal point.

That's not really any difference from how it is in the main games, Bowser and Luigi tend to be the ones everyone focuses on.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

Wouldn’t it be cool if the credits end up looking something like this?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised (though that's far from the worst possible outcome).

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

That's not really any difference from how it is in the main games, Bowser and Luigi tend to be the ones everyone focuses on.

Are they? I certainly don't think Mario wasn't a focal point in 64, Sunshine, Galaxy or Odyssey. Mario is the Avatar of the player - so for the most part we are going to see the world through his eyes and movements since the player focuses on him - that's why it's pretty important Illumination get him right from the get go.   

That being said, sure, the personalities of Luigi and Bowser are expanded upon for a lot of comedy value so they feel more personable in comparison -  but that's exactly because we are speaking to them via the Mario avatar (or it's because of the style their spinoff games lend themselves too). 

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

Are they? I certainly don't think Mario wasn't a focal point in 64, Sunshine, Galaxy or Odyssey. Mario is the Avatar of the player - so for the most part we are going to see the world through his eyes and movements since the player focuses on him - that's why it's pretty important Illumination get him right from the get go.   

That being said, sure, the personalities of Luigi and Bowser are expanded upon for a lot of comedy value so they feel more personable in comparison -  but that's exactly because we are speaking to them via the Mario avatar (or it's because of the style their spinoff games lend themselves too). 

This is a good point and its true. Mario is how we experience and view the world, so getting him right is paramount. But Mario is also intentionally designed to be an everyman so that the player can project a little bit of themselves into them. So he's also very malleable. While I don't think Chris Pratt is necessarily a good fit, he does fit into that everyman persona.

This isn't a case like Sonic, who isn't just an avatar for the player and thus has a very tangible effect on the world beyond being the primary player character. Sonic's personality informs a lot about his series in certain ways Mario doesn't.

• Thumbs Up 4

In a weird state right now where I simultaneously think this is the first time I've ever seen a trailer for a proper video game film, and still completely untrusting that Illumination will pull it off.

The environments look fantastic, Bowser is excellent, I'm interested in seeing how Luigi is handled, and I'm not even hating Toad. Crispy Rat as Mario is the obvious sour note, but I have a feeling they're gonna force him to redo his lines because holy shit is the internet not happy with his performance haha. And I'm def intrigued in the isekai angle for Mario, since that (barring YI) was how I always understood the series since a wee babby. It looks legitimately great so far.

Buuuuut with that said, any future trailer could completely ruin the vibe. It's Illumination, known creator of super marketable mediocre stuff, and I still don't trust decisions like Seth Rogen in a Donkey Kong costume. Still praying every other character comes out of this unscathed and I don't have to witness something truly embarrassing. I could use a good video game movie for once in my life.

11 minutes ago, azoo said:

In a weird state right now where I simultaneously think this is the first time I've ever seen a trailer for a proper video game film, and still completely untrusting that Illumination will pull it off.

The environments look fantastic, Bowser is excellent, I'm interested in seeing how Luigi is handled, and I'm not even hating Toad. Crispy Rat as Mario is the obvious sour note, but I have a feeling they're gonna force him to redo his lines because holy shit is the internet not happy with his performance haha. And I'm def intrigued in the isekai angle for Mario, since that (barring YI) was how I always understood the series since a wee babby. It looks legitimately great so far.

Buuuuut with that said, any future trailer could completely ruin the vibe. It's Illumination, known creator of super marketable mediocre stuff, and I still don't trust decisions like Seth Rogen in a Donkey Kong costume. Still praying every other character comes out of this unscathed and I don't have to witness something truly embarrassing. I could use a good video game movie for once in my life.

Nintendo are much more involved here than say, Sega were for the Sonic movies. So I can at least be comfortable knowing that this will at least be a very serviceable video game film, and I mean that in the best possible way.

How bout some leaked toys?

Spoiler

FegFO_tWYAA7VnJ?format=jpg&name=large

Our first full body look at Peach shows her dress is hardly changed up from the series, rather than something akin to her more detailed Smash dresses. We also have blunt conformation that the brothers are indeed plumbers with the plunger, and the Luigi's Mansion allusions continue with his trusty new flashlight. 

Edit- These next leaks have since been taken down.

FebfvTXWIAAg7k5?format=jpg&name=large

Welcome to Mario Kart car chases. (Mario, Peach, Toad, Koopa)

You can see Peach will be taking a more active role beyond a kidnap prone ruler, all while wearing her pink biker suit. It seems like an oddly short amount of time to build a racecar for someone who just arrived Mushroom World. If I may guess, Peach having her own motorcycle implies racing is a popular sport she loves participating in within or nearby her kingdom. So Mario is likely given a vehicle fresh off the assembly line and just needed a red paint job.

Feez9gbWYAkT__B?format=jpg&name=large

(This was the supposed Happy Meal toys, related to below)

Lastly, here's Donkey Kong and... Luma?

Naturally fans are jumping the gun and pointing this confirming Rosy, but its unreasonable to add her to an already big cast in just one film. (After credits cameo, anyone?) The most likely idea is there's just one Luma, whose connected to the Power Star and helps guide the heroes into getting it back.

Because of how cheap plastic is for McDonald toys, we can't determine what new details Donkey Kong's model will have since they all look near interchangeable to the game models. It's unlikely to been anything major regardless.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just saw the trailer and I really enjoyed it!  I think that Jack Black's Bowser is the true highlight of the trailer!  I thought that Chris Pratt's Mario was okay, although I missed the accent.

The Mario universe feels insanely well-suited to shorts anyway - probably more so than to a feature-length movie - so that seems like a sensible decision.

Personally I refuse to call that thing Mario. It's Fauxio, a soulless being that is only Mario on surface level. It can preform, but can't comprehend it's actions. It can feel, but doesn't know what those emotions mean. It exists to read a script and act it out, nothing more and nothing less.

• My Emmerdoods 1

• 1 month later...

Oh, more information coming. Awesome.

I wonder if the Direct will follow the same format as the last one? In which case, maybe we get a bit of an interview with Rogan and Taylor, and see those two in action during the trailer.

Mario's voice here is borderline embarrassing  to listen to here. Luigi and Peach aren't much better but I can at least see how they could fit, but Chris Pratt is not even trying and it's so very blatantly phoned in. The Wahoo at the end felt like a slap in the face because it's proof that he can do Mario, he's just...not for some reason.

Everything else is whatever. It'll probably be a 7/10 at most.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

Mario's voice here is borderline embarrassing  to listen to here. Luigi and Peach aren't much better but I can at least see how they could fit, but Chris Pratt is not even trying and it's so very blatantly phoned in. The Wahoo at the end felt like a slap in the face because it's proof that he can do Mario, he's just...not for some reason.

Everything else is whatever. It'll probably be a 7/10 at most.

It actually makes it worse IMO. It feels extremely jarring whenever he does a "Wahoo" or "Letsa go" because his regular voice for Mario is so wrong from it that it doesn't feel like something the character is actually saying, but rather more like they're just obligated to have him say it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I compare it back to the Detective Pikachu trailer, which similarly capped off with Ryan Reynold's own attempt at a normal Pikachu voice- Except that had the benefit of being a deliberate subversion of the character against the other Pikachus who get to keep their old actress. 

As for Pratt, LEGO Movie showed he could do a moderately energetic and cheerful voice for an energetic and cheerful character, that can drop to a more serious tone of voice when the mood calls for it. All that charm and passion that was heard in Emmet Brickowski? Missing.

Eh, outside of Bowser I feel like the rest of the casting is more miss than hit. Peach may be passable when we get to hear a bit more range from her dialog (it does seem to fit her confidence levels) but everyone else just feels off. Even the Toads sound bad. Mario and Luigi get it the worst. I have no idea what the director was going for.

The movie itself seems to be coming along harmless enough. Still not sure I want/need to see a Mario origin story, but the DK bit was silly and a nice homage to the OG rival and it is loaded with easter eggs which will be fun to sift through down the line.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Even the Toads sound bad.

Oh no, the Toads don't have their annoying screechy voices from the games, how tragic....

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, SticksSuperFan14 said:

Oh no, the Toads don't have their annoying screechy voices from the games, how tragic....

I never said the sounded good in the games either lol.

Seriously though the adorable Toad seems stuck somewhere in-between a Lisp and a Rasp. Its weird.

Peach's VA grew on me quick. She sounds confident and that's what they were going for. If that's the case, then it fits this version of the character.

I don't know how many Luigi fans are here, but I don't really like the he's the damsel here. Like I understand the appeal in Peach having an expanded role, but I don't like that it's done at Luigi's expense. Like a big part of Mario is him and Luigi's brotherly bond and teamwork, and it seems like we're going to get way less of that if he's just captured for most of the film. Like I wish they could've just had Luigi work with the rest of the crew and maybe have no one get captured (if you really want a personal stake for Mario, Bowser could've threatened to take over New Donk) kinda like Mario 2, NSMB, and 3D World.

Edited by SticksSuperFan14

It's not like Luigi's ever been captured before...

Ya know, that guy...who Mario has to save, in Mario Galaxy, Mario 3D Land, Mario & Luigi (the first one).