Awoo.

Mario Bros. Animated Movie Coming from Illumination

DaddlerTheDalek

I fucking loved that trailer, like, REALLY MUCH. The more blocky levels are some kind of obstacle courses? That's brilliant in my opinion. But also the more "grounded" places like the bridge with the fish seems like it's just a place in the world. 

I just hope all this cool stuff won't go to waste because the writers fucked up with toilet humour and a bland story. Who are the writers, anyways? It ain't the Mitchells vs the Machines writers, no?

• Thumbs Up 2

Tbh I'm not a fan of them using gameplay elements in the movie as Mario travels through kingdoms, literal level design in the movie... not sure how I feel about it. It's a cool reference, I guess.

By the way, I actually laughed at the jokes this time, Peach being done and Toads being adorable are funny, Mario's voice is the usual Pratt meh but this is the vibe I'm getting in general with the cast, Jack Black I agree sounds good as Bowser, and I'm looking forward to Seth Rogen as DK, the rest... not sure.

The directions for the cast: AT LEAST WE HAVE THEM, in the main games they barely have personality, sure spin-offs and RPGs feature them in a significant way, I'm not sure I like the current stereotypes because they are generic, but simple, I think they work well. Peach is the most interesting because she is not the main damsel in distress this time, Luigi is, uhm I don't think Luigi will be made a disservice though, but I'm so glad Peach does stuff to be fair. Toad plays the role of the sidekick, Peach leads. Also we really are getting to see all the kingdoms, it seems like Donkey Kong is part of the Country kingdom led by Cranky, plus the Penguins Kingdom. And in general they are cramming everything they can into 1 movie, so the opposite approach to Sonic movies, got it lol

Just saw the trailer and I really enjoyed it!  I loved how bright the animation is and Bowser and Princess Peach are really growing on me. It's nice to see Princess Peach take on a more proactive role in this movie.  I'm fine with Chris Pratt's voice for Mario, although I wished that he put on an Italian accent or a Brooklyn accent for the character.  But, I'm still excited to see this movie!

On 11/30/2022 at 1:01 AM, StaticMania said:

It's not like Luigi's ever been captured before...

Ya know, that guy...who Mario has to save, in Mario Galaxy, Mario 3D Land, Mario & Luigi (the first one).

Yes, but Mario games are a dime a dozen. A Mario film, though, as a very rare opportunity, and I just wish Luigi would get his chance to shine on the big screen considering he's liked more than Mario himself. Like, again, I fail to understand how the film can effectively sell the two as brothers if they're not gonna spend much time together on-screen. 

45 minutes ago, SticksSuperFan14 said:

...I fail to understand how the film can effectively sell the two as brothers if they're not gonna spend much time together on-screen. 

What is this?

A film about a guy saving his brother...

10 hours ago, StaticMania said:

What is this?

A film about a guy saving his brother...

Bruh you didn't bother to read the first part, didn't you?

Mario has a rodeo with a Pirahna Plant 

Plus the McDonald's leak is back 

Spoiler

With Luma

9 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

Mama Mia

Keegan Micheal Key is awesome, so I'm okay with this.

@AstroSeedPIt's funny. Because you're a 3D artist, I figured you just photoshopped the poster. But no, either you made a lucky guess that Crazy Cap would show up, or it was always there.

That's not a hard thing to imagine being in the film anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

There was more Mario music in that 1:30 clip than there was classic Sonic music in the entirety of both Sonic movies combined. Everything about this film feels like a love letter to the Mario franchise and it just makes me so happy.

• Thumbs Up 5

I liked this clip a lot. It does a good job of making the Mushroom Kingdom feel real and lived in. Seeing the Toads be used to all the crazy platforming architecture while Mario struggles to get around makes sense, and emphasizes his unfamiliarity with their world.

Speaking of Mario, I like his little character moments here. Taking a moment to pick up a stranger's dropped coin is the kind of simple nice gesture a guy like Mario would do. And as a plumber, admiring the pipe system is a nice touch as well.

Pratt's voice is growing on me a little. The Brooklyn accent seems a little inconsistent, but in lines where I can hear it, it's honestly alright.

Definitely looking forward to seeing this.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

A brand new clip was uploaded for The Game Awards 

It's actually a pretty good showcasing of the world. I dig the music and the fact that platforming is a part of everyday traversal in the Mushroom Kingdom. Makes sense, given how the games tend to go.

Hmmmm. I wonder if this movie will be something of a prologue to the original game instead of an adaptation of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I gotta say, I absolutely adore the turnaround the Mario movie did for me.

I was extremely sceptical and sometimes downright cynical when they announced Illumination would be doing it. After how little creative control the owners of the original IPs often have with their game movies, I was really worried what the studio that cashcows the shit out of the minions would do with Mario, even with Nintendo in the back. When they announced the cast, they completely lost me. Even though I liked some choices like Jack Black for the cast, I was fully convinced Miyamoto drank the Hollywood kool-aid and was just throwing whatever Hollywood star he could find onto the plumber. I completely wrote off the movie.

...and now I'm completely ecstatic about it. 

I still dislike Pratt for Mario and I doubt this will go completely away, but other than that (and considering I can just avoid this by watching it in my native language)... everything about the movie sits so freaking right with me. 

I almost forgot how expressive and colorful Illumination's animation is. It fits and looks wonderfully and is a delight to marvel at. I absolutely adore the world they are building and just revel in the fact that they embrace their video game essence so wholeheartedly instead of skimming around it, fully recreating level themes like the Cheep Cheep Bridge or just incorporating level elements naturally into the world. I love that they seem to focus on the plumber from Brooklyn origin, something that I was always really fond of. I enjoy all the big and little references that often aren't just a "HAH REMEMBER THIS", but also get built in so well and just organically flesh out the universe while also making my little nerdy heart beat faster. And god, the music. The freaking music. The fact that they fit in 4 themes in like a minute, all fitting perfectly with what's happening in blending in while also making you remember the origins of the tracks...

It's magical. That's the best way I can put it. Everything about this movie so far just seems to come together in a wonderful package. Not only did the footage so far make me extremely optimistic about the film, it did something far bigger - every second of it made me remember why I love Mario. Why I adore the games and their quirky environments and characters. It reignited my passion for the franchise to a degree that I haven't felt since I was a young teen doing Mario roleplays in message boards, or when I was a little boy playing pretend as Yoshi, making sounds in the backyard, haha. And really... is that not the biggest compliment I can give?

• Thumbs Up 4

• 1 month later...