Awoo.

Mario Bros. Animated Movie Coming from Illumination

DaddlerTheDalek

I love how they're incorporating Mario Kart and the powerups into this and making them actually fit instead of just jamming in elements without considering any possible sensory overload. The whole movie looks really fun and I'm excited for it

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, ShinyGems said:

Here it is, guys!

I haven't always been the biggest fan of illumination. But I have to say this final trailer really shows promise and potential. I like the vibrancy of its colors. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like Mario, is vibrant, has everything you could want if you are a fan of the series, but as an outsider I'm not feeling it which makes me wonder how the general audience may feel. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...still no reviews for Mario on Rotten Tomatoes. Is that a bad sign? Granted, one should take reviews on Rotten Tomatoes with a grain of salt, still, usually movies that sucks don't release their review embargo right up until the actual release date, so as to mitigate any adverse impact from the negative reviews. But nowadays, most audience members are pretty smart to this kind of cynical studio strategy. So having no reviews for Mario...is starting to be a little worrying. 

Edited by Cooldude

The home media set and release date are now known.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only one month? That seems crazy fast.. I remember when films would take 3-4 months to release on home video.

On 3/24/2023 at 6:39 AM, Cooldude said:

Hmmm...still no reviews for Mario on Rotten Tomatoes. Is that a bad sign? Granted, one should take reviews on Rotten Tomatoes with a grain of salt, still, usually movies that sucks don't release their review embargo right up until the actual release date, so as to mitigate any adverse impact from the negative reviews. But nowadays, most audience members are pretty smart to this kind of cynical studio strategy. So having no reviews for Mario...is starting to be a little worrying. 

When do early reviews for a movie usually come in?  Do they come in like a week before the movie releases or a few days before the movie releases?

3 hours ago, ElectricAngel said:

Only one month? That seems crazy fast.. I remember when films would take 3-4 months to release on home video.

Is it a good or bad thing when movie releases on home video fast?

Gonna try to watch this day 1 and make sure all my homies and I bring our 3DSs lmao

Seeing my 3DS' light turn green is pure serotonin. I love Streetpass

On 3/29/2023 at 5:22 AM, Rabbitearsblog said:

Is it a good or bad thing when movie releases on home video fast?

Kinda odd... Movies that sell strongly, tend to still be in theaters 8 weeks in.

For comparisons sake, Sonic 2 launched in 4,200 domestic theaters, and was still booked for 2,300 in week 8. That movie's run didn't die out until week 11 when it fell from 1,000 to under 500. Sonic 2 did make the jump to streaming services in that 8 week timeframe, but the DVD packages didn't hit stores for 4 months.

Just a guess, but maybe it has something to do with the movies that will launch between now and then? Spiderman, Little Mermaid, Fast X and Guardians of the Galaxy will eat screens and push the Mario movie out the door. If anything, it'll be interesting to see what kind of legs the Mario movie has because of it. It'll face stiff competition on the back end.

It's not one bit odd, Universal movies have been doing this since COVID and the theater shutdown, even The Bad Guys and Puss 2 were out on digital within a month or a month and a half.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Kinda odd... Movies that sell strongly, tend to still be in theaters 8 weeks in.

For comparisons sake, Sonic 2 launched in 4,200 domestic theaters, and was still booked for 2,300 in week 8. That movie's run didn't die out until week 11 when it fell from 1,000 to under 500. Sonic 2 did make the jump to streaming services in that 8 week timeframe, but the DVD packages didn't hit stores for 4 months.

Just a guess, but maybe it has something to do with the movies that will launch between now and then? Spiderman, Little Mermaid, Fast X and Guardians of the Galaxy will eat screens and push the Mario movie out the door. If anything, it'll be interesting to see what kind of legs the Mario movie has because of it. It'll face stiff competition on the back end.

I forgot that Guardians, Fast X and Spiderman are coming out soon.

Saw the movie. It was excatly what I expected. Completely bland and forgettable, if not for the fact that "I know Mario!". It looks like Mario, and it sounds like Mario, and so with all the good will that the Mario brand has built up among so many of us over the decades it's impossible not to be charmed. But in terms of content the movie is bland, so bland in fact that it borders on downright bad. Take the exact same story with the exact same characters with the exact same personalities and take out the Mario elements and replace it with a brand new IP and the movie is just a fogettable pile of nothing. But like I said, I expected nothing more. Illumination makes crap after all. I don't mean to sound mean, but really, they do. I went to see that last Minions/Despicale me movie (against my will mind you) about Gru's childhood and sometimes it felt like I was watching the animated result of the first draft of a movie. The story was just all over the place. And they try to cover up this lack of coherence and meaning by cramming the movie with butt-jokes for the kids and 20th century pop culture references for the parents. And while I was glad that there wasn't a single butt joke in the Mario movie, the fact that it had a bunch of well known pop songs mixed with the Mario melodies was face-palmy enough. I swear, Illumination thinks that animated movies can have only one atmosphere and one sense of humor. Every single one of their films feel like they take place in the same bland, audience-pandering universe.

On a different note, one thing that I dislike as a Mario fan was how lame Mario came of against ultra competent Peach. Yes yes, I know that the movie is supposed to be about how Mario became a champion in the first place, but my god, they made Peach such an infalliable Mary Sue (and no, I'm not one of those people who use that word any random female hero that I don't like; I use it when it is called for such as in this case) that any time Mario did something heroic instead of her it came of as completely circumstantial, like, you get the impression that she would have done whatever he did but better if she had just happened to be the one in that situation. Again, I get it, this is the movie about how Mario became the hero of the Mushroom Kingdom but the thing is that with Mary Sue ass Peach around I genuinly wonder why, from an in-universe point of view, Mario would ever be needed in the first place. Like even after he supposedly becames the hero we know from the games, what could he possibly bring to the Mushroom Kingdom that Peach didn't already have covered before he arrived there?

According to supposed leaks that may or may not be real, the movie was actually supposed to lean even heavier on the "Peach is the best person in the universe at everything" angle, and Mario meanwhile was treated more often than not as a clumsy clown, but Nintendo actually demanded that Illumination change the script to make the characters and their dynamics more like in the game. And if this is true then... lord almighty. I mean if the movie that we ended up with leaned this heavy on girl-baws Peach and if-he-can-even-keep-up-with-her-then that's-good-enough Mario then how the hell did that initial script look like? *shudder*

All in all, bland and forgettable movie hiding behind the fact that it looks and sounds like the beloved Mario universe, although regarding that attempt to capture said Mario universe it fails at one of the most important elements of that universe, namely it's main character and his dynamic and relation to at least of of it's other main characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, batson said:

...I genuinly wonder why, from an in-universe point of view, Mario would ever be needed in the first place.

As much as this is a common complaint about Peach in the movie, people have said this exact thing every time she has actually been playable...

"If she can do everything Mario can do (plus more), why does she ever get captured?" or something to that effect and it just seems like one of those things that doesn't matter.

---

But in regards to how necessary Mario is because of this, this is why any potential future movie can't exactly do the typical Mario plot. It would have to focus on the heroic stuff Mario does that isn't in relation to the Mushroom Kingdom.

I feel that Peach (and Luigi too for that matter) actually being better characters to play as in many of the games is one thing, while actually showing Mario as less competent than his supporting cast in a movie is another thing. The main playable character not actually being the best or easiest character to play as is a weird but common occurance in video games, one that us Sonic fans are all too familiar with. But we all acceppt that from an in-universe point of view Sonic and Mario are the respective champions/aces of their universes, regardless of the fact that Tails can fly and Peach can float. 

To have Mario be so trumped by Peach in terms of ability in a narrative movie like that however feels wrong to me. Again, it's Mario's very first adventure, I get it. But from what we saw of Peach and how she absolutely aced everything she did, and did it with as much heroic confidence and bravery as any person could possibly have, what could Mario possibly bring to the table even after he's reached his full potential as a hero?