Awoo.

Famitsu reveals Forces Development Timeline

Shiny Gems

It seems for me that, since they spend 2 years on the concept, that they really tried to work on a much bigger game. If you look at the story idea, this is actually the closest Eggman ever got to finally realize his plan of world domination. I mean... yeah, how will you ever top that? 

I think that the producers os Sega once again forced their own vision of this game into the development and it went once again into complete chaos. Boom, 06, Lost World, Heroes etc. Forces is just another victim of that.  

1 hour ago, Mark1 said:

Sonic Mania took a year to develop too 

Go figure.

So?

Mania is a much smaller project that is played in 2D, and has been designed using an existing engine.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, SaberX said:

4 years of development in one 1 year, thats a X-mas miracle!

Rushed for a Xmas release,  no less. :7

So much for that concept development time going to good use. 

Seriously, looking back at the Sonic Forces interviews is astonishing to read after the actual game is out. There's so much wretched delusion in these words. 

But from a classic standpoint, what we’re doing is looking back to Sonic Generations and saying, “Look, we need this classic Sonic gameplay and people really liked Sonic Generations, so let’s bring that into Sonic Forces.” 

Ohhhh~! Piss off~!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

While the wording can understandably give off a certain impression, I don't think there was any attempt at painting the developers as... morally corrupt.  It's better to not argue in bad faith so as to avoid these misunderstandings.

To that end, please settle this outside of the public eye.  No need to dish it out here.

I know I mentioned this in another topic, but it doesn’t surprise me at all that this game wasn’t in active development until last year. I had my concerns when most of the gameplay footage we saw consisted of City (God I hate that name) and Green Hill only. On top of that, these stages were very short. Looks like my concerns about Sonic Forces not actually being in development for that long, despite the four year wait, were true. D:

• Thumbs Up 5

...Well, the good news is that Sonic Team is getting better at rushing games. Last time it was 'tragedy', this time it's just 'letdown'.

The bad news is that they wasted precious time on making some stupid new engine when Generations still plays and looks better then Forces. And they published it anyway, despite it being a big anniversary game. I don't know who if Team Sonic made that choice or their superiors, but it's clear that Sega keeps some idiots in charge.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno if this has been posted here yet:

Spoiler

4 years ago Hedgehog Engine 2 started development.

3 years ago, what we know as the "Sonic Wars" started development, this would later become Sonic Forces.

1 year ago they entered full production for final stretch.

According to Andrea Ritsu, the "Forces was in development for one year" thing is a mistranslation and the game was actually being developed for three years.

I dunno how relevant this is, but she does seems to actually like the game.

Even outside the "Actual development is only 1 year" true or false stuff, what I find way more interesting is that it still implies the CONCEPT of Forces has been in development for 3/4 years and even THAT feels like it's been thrown together in a day. Nothing about the "Eggman in charge" theme, Infinite's backstory, the Phantom Ruby, the Virtual reality stuff feel like they spend more then a day throwing together the most shallow and obvious things to do with them and toss em on a pile.With only the OC character being the most defined aspect of Forces. And even that's a bit dissapointing and basic, but at least feels more or less complete.

That said, I still think it might be true the concept been in development for 3 years, just in an unhealthy "rope pulling contest" kind of way.
Instead of taking the concept and exploring it for 3 years, it's likely have been an endless hellish back and forth of a person having an idea, everyone else shooting it down Groundhogs day of nothingness. Obsessing over minor details and failing to create an engaging bigger picture.

• Thumbs Up 8

3 hours ago, Dizcrybe said:

I dunno if this has been posted here yet:

Hide contents

4 years ago Hedgehog Engine 2 started development.

3 years ago, what we know as the "Sonic Wars" started development, this would later become Sonic Forces.

1 year ago they entered full production for final stretch.

According to Andrea Ritsu, the "Forces was in development for one year" thing is a mistranslation and the game was actually being developed for three years.

I dunno how relevant this is, but she does seems to actually like the game.

In comparison to other 3D Sonics? And when comparing the parts in the game (Classic Sonic, Avatar, Modern Sonic)? Are we talking about a Sonic Team apologist?

• 3 years later...
On 11/16/2017 at 12:11 PM, Swing said:

It seems for me that, since they spend 2 years on the concept, that they really tried to work on a much bigger game. If you look at the story idea, this is actually the closest Eggman ever got to finally realize his plan of world domination. I mean... yeah, how will you ever top that? 

I think that the producers os Sega once again forced their own vision of this game into the development and it went once again into complete chaos. Boom, 06, Lost World, Heroes etc. Forces is just another victim of that.  

Sega once again forced their own vision

forced, hahahahhah

• My Emmerdoods 1

I keep hearing they reworked the engine from Lost World into this game, and that engine was reworked from Generations. Why didn't they just port everything from the older engine in the first place instead of this reversed-engineered failure?