Awoo.

Remember when Eggman tried to nuke a city?

EdsonBubsy

I don't even think it actually tied into the plot of Sonic Adventure outside " Arghh! My flying fortress fell so I need to kill innocent people." If you look at the cutscene he literally doesn't even care and just says screw it.

What's more interesting is Tails got his butt over there to defuse it. The last time Tails got character development.

• Thumbs Up 1

The point was that it was Eggman's last ditch effort to destroy the city, seeing as though Chaos and the Egg Carrier had fallen.

Seems a bit weird that something simple like bomb the city is his LAST plan, compared to "recruit the assistance of an ancient God of destruction" being his ORIGINAL plan, but whatever.  I think it was a decent plot point.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Tara said:

The point was that it was Eggman's last ditch effort to destroy the city, seeing as though Chaos and the Egg Carrier had fallen.

Seems a bit weird that something simple like bomb the city is his LAST plan, compared to "recruit the assistance of an ancient God of destruction" being his ORIGINAL plan, but whatever.  I think it was a decent plot point.

*SHRUGS* Eggman is a complexity addict with the common sense of a brain damaged guinea pig? But yeah, I always did wonder why he'd bother with Chaos when it would have been much easier to just lob a missile into Station Square to get what he wanted.... at best I can guess that he figured flooding the city with Chaos would keep the infrastructure of the place intact enough to make converting it into Eggmanland much easier, and the nuke was the last option because it would require rebuilding things from scratch.

The real question I have, is what he thought he was gonna do when he FOUND the missile, given the detonating it would've... kinda killed him then and there??

I feel bad for Sonic. He spent all those years with him fighting eggman. Then he suddenly decided to become a useless stick.

Also in Adventure 2 where Sonic "dies" in front of him. He actually fights back. Instead of sitting there and doing nothing. 

Tails in Sonic Forces is scared of badniks. He is also scared of Chaos an Enemy he has beaten at a HIGHER power level. They need to do something about him by now. His character went down hill after Unleashed

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Sega of Japan said:

I feel bad for Sonic. He spent all those years with him fighting eggman. Then he suddenly decided to become a useless stick.

Also in Adventure 2 where Sonic "dies" in front of him. He actually fights back. Instead of sitting there and doing nothing. 

Tails in Sonic Forces is scared of badniks. He is also scared of Chaos an Enemy he has beaten at a HIGHER power level. They need to do something about him by now. His character went down hill after Unleashed

Yeah you made that clear in your own topic.  This is a different topic, so please try to keep on track.

3 hours ago, Tara said:

This has always kinda bugged me. Anything from that missile to one of the Eggman Bomboms he used to destroy Prison Island to something as simple as parking the Egg Carrier on the city would've done the job, with far less hassle than unleashing an unstable ancient evil and collecting the Chaos Emeralds to power it up.

Weirder still, he got exactly what he wanted. Station Square was still destroyed ("All's well that ends well, right?"), but for whatever reason, he never built Eggmanland on its flooded ruins. Maybe he was just too proud to do it? Like, since Chaos wasn't under his command at the time, he figured it was a hollow victory and that he needed to build Eggmanland totally on his terms?

(Incidentally, my headcanon is that this version of Eggmanland would've been a water park rather than an amusement park, what with all the flooding and all.)

6 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

Weirder still, he got exactly what he wanted. Station Square was still destroyed ("All's well that ends well, right?"), but for whatever reason, he never built Eggmanland on its flooded ruins. Maybe he was just too proud to do it? Like, since Chaos wasn't under his command at the time, he figured it was a hollow victory and that he needed to build Eggmanland totally on his terms?

After losing Chaos, two Egg Carriers, the entirety of his new E-series, 3 boss mechs, and whatever other assorted robots the player characters bashed along the way, I could believe he just didn't have the resources left for it, especially with the heroes still being around to interfere if he tried.

• Thumbs Up 4

I am generally fond of the idea that the only time Eggman does resort to drastic, off-the-cuff, actions like that is when his mental state is pushed a bit too far. Generally, it might not be something he does willy-nilly (and in fact was not the thing he immediately jumped to at the start of the game) but him losing it in a temporary bout of legitimate insanity could actually be played up for-

Gah. There I go bringing in ideas that would require character development again. Perish the thought, right Sonic Team?

• Nice Smile 1

47 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I am generally fond of the idea that the only time Eggman does resort to drastic, off-the-cuff, actions like that is when his mental state is pushed a bit too far. Generally, it might not be something he does willy-nilly (and in fact was not the thing he immediately jumped to at the start of the game) but him losing it in a temporary bout of legitimate insanity could actually be played up for-

Gah. There I go bringing in ideas that would require character development again. Perish the thought, right Sonic Team?

Is the missile really any worse than Chaos?

I mean, he wasn't "pushed too far" when he decided to destroy Station Square with a giant water beast. So even though the missile has vibes of Eggman just throwing up his hands in frustration and using a quick and easy method of destruction, I don't really see it as that much worse - other than that Chaos probably left more survivors than the missile would have, I guess.

Either way, I don't feel like his snapping made him do anything any more drastic or cross any lines that he hadn't already gleefully leapt over already by that point in the story.

Aside from the point that the writers probably didn't think things through, there are a few possibilities I can think of as to why he resorts to Chaos over his own weapons:

1) Maybe he intended to use Chaos in a sort of extortion/protection racket, in that Chaos, once reaching full power would be used to cause havoc in Station Square, but only due to Eggman (in his deluded mind at any rate) ordering him to do so. Then he would go to the people of Station Square to offer his services to "protect" them from Chaos, them not knowing about the true nature of the situation, to which he would gain their gratitude and the chance to convert Station Square into his park, all the while using the threat of Chaos returning to extort and keep them quiet about  any suspicions they might have.

2) He only intended to use Chaos to scare everyone off Station Square (ala how a Scooby Doo villain scares people to get at a treasure hidden in the area) so that he could appear to drive Chaos off and then offer to rebuild the area as Robotnikland.

The missile was the last resort only because he wants people to be alive to worship him, but he'd rather take some worshipers than no worshipers if his plan ultimately failed. Of course regardless he clearly didn't plan for Chaos being a vengeful and cunning water monster bent on destroying humanity, so whatever.

• Thumbs Up 2

The nuclear missile is one use.

Chaos he can theoretically continue to use as a weapon against anyone he wants to conquer afterward, or whomever has a problem with him building Eggmanland on the ruins of Station Square.

That's probably why he bothered with Chaos and saved the missile as a trump card.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Super Mechanio said:

Is the missile really any worse than Chaos?

I mean, he wasn't "pushed too far" when he decided to destroy Station Square with a giant water beast. So even though the missile has vibes of Eggman just throwing up his hands in frustration and using a quick and easy method of destruction, I don't really see it as that much worse - other than that Chaos probably left more survivors than the missile would have, I guess.

Either way, I don't feel like his snapping made him do anything any more drastic or cross any lines that he hadn't already gleefully leapt over already by that point in the story.

It might be because, to me, he actually hadn't crossed any similar lines at that point in the story. Not up until that point. His plan was to feed Chaos the emeralds and then supposedly tear down Station Square and rebuild Eggmanland upon its ruins, however, I never assumed the original idea was to use him as a makeshift nuke. I figured he just wanted an all powerful enforcer to use at his beck and call for a more controlled method of handling them. I don't even really know if he knew Chaos's final form was giant. I guess he might have if he saw the ruins. 

It's not something we'll ever get to see because Chaos betrayed him, stole the last emerald, and went to the city on it's own. It didn't come off as though that specific outcome was what he wanted before he flew into his rage. 

I'm not claiming to know how he was planning on using Chaos down to an exact science but it was definitely a noticeably different shift in demeanor for him from my perspective.

Hm but if I recall although he wasn't very clear, Eggman stated he intended to conquer the world with Chaos, not just Station Square.

4 hours ago, EdsonBubsy said:

Hm but if I recall although he wasn't very clear, Eggman stated he intended to conquer the world with Chaos, not just Station Square.

I mean that was his long term goal for sure, but Station Square was his immediate target.  When you defeat the Egg Hornet as Sonic, he exposits his plans to destroy Station Square specifically and build Robotnikland on its ruins.  Presumably just one city in a long list of locales that would be wiped out if he had his way, but still a very specific target nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Tara said:

I mean that was his long term goal for sure, but Station Square was his immediate target.  When you defeat the Egg Hornet as Sonic, he exposits his plans to destroy Station Square specifically and build Robotnikland on its ruins.  Presumably just one city in a long list of locales that would be wiped out if he had his way, but still a very specific target nonetheless.

I'm just saying if it was only station square it wouldn't make much sense to go to all that effort. 

1 minute ago, EdsonBubsy said:

I'm just saying if it was only station square it wouldn't make much sense to go to all that effort. 

Hence, like all Sonic games, this plot is a bit of a mess when you scrutinize it too carefully, lol.