Awoo.

Sonic Forces may have destroyed the series storyline

EdsonBubsy

1 minute ago, EdsonBubsy said:

Not sure where you're getting Sonic A3 being officially tied to anything.

Because it was tied to Sonic Battle.

1 minute ago, EdsonBubsy said:

But generally you can summarize a timeline. Remember Shadow came out in 05 before most if the retconing.

I seem to remember the situation as it actually happened a bit better than you have, because, again, they made major retcons to the previous game they made every time they made a new game as they tried to deal with Shadow's popularity at the time. ShtH was roundly criticized for how confusing everything had become in Iizuka's attempt to make Shadow a more interesting character than he actually was, and his characterization was all over the place from game to game in the process.

51 minutes ago, EdsonBubsy said:

Doesn't really explain the Nega in rush.

It's the same Nega as Rivals. They just retconned the part about him being from Blaze's dimension. We're now meant to assume that he lied to Sonic about his origin.

Or the gun ships in rush.

It's just there as a reference to SA2. You've got to remember that Rush came out in 2005, years before the whole "two worlds" thing was ever... well, a thing.

==============================================================================================================================

These issues are all due to the lack of consistency between each game, and the excuses made to cover them up just make things worse.

The moon's still in one piece even after SA2? "Nah, we're just always seeing the other side of it."

Eggman Nega's NOT from Blaze's world? "Nah, he's from the future. He was just lying about his origin in Sonic Rush."

So there are realistic cities AND fantasy-like islands in Sonic's world? "Nah, there's actually TWO worlds. Sonic and Co. just bounce between 'em."

Classic Sonic is a slightly younger Sonic, right? "Nah, he's a completely different Sonic from another dimension."

Frankly, I've given up trying to make sense of this series and it's ever-changing 'canon'. One moment, the classic games happened. The next moment, they didn't... or they did, but differently. Did the handheld games happen? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There's no consistency, and that's been a problem with Sonic for a long time.

To answer the question/statement of this thread: No, I don't think that Forces 'destroyed' the series' timeline. It was already broken long before Forces was announced.

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Because it was tied to Sonic Battle.

I seem to remember the situation as it actually happened a bit better than you have, because, again, they made major retcons to the previous game they made every time they made a new game as they tried to deal with Shadow's popularity at the time. ShtH was roundly criticized for how confusing everything had become in Iizuka's attempt to make Shadow a more interesting character than he actually was, and his characterization was all over the place from game to game in the process.

? Retconned what? In terms of the main games, the only retcon I can think of was maybe him dying but they didn't really show that.

Otherwise I'm not seeing what you mean by confusion before post-shadow.

1 hour ago, EdsonBubsy said:

? Retconned what? In terms of the main games, the only retcon I can think of was maybe him dying but they didn't really show that.

Otherwise I'm not seeing what you mean by confusion before post-shadow.

I think what hes trying to explain is that in Sonic Battle (i think) is mentioned that in one of Gerald Robotnik's diaries, its enplaned that he found Emerl and brought him to the Ark. However he gave it GUN so he can more time with Project Shadow. 

So Shadow and Emerl have a LOOSE connection to each other through Gerald. 

On 17/11/2017 at 1:11 PM, EdsonBubsy said:

1. The first Ruby illusion you see is Chaos, although how Eggman copied Chaos is a mystery itself, why did he only do the basic form? Surely even with the phantom Ruby the chaos emeralds would actually still evolve chaos, wherever they are.

Something something, the illusion of time travel. Go read Stress Test, one of the prequel comics. It's kinda explained there.

2. Sonic couldn't beat these fakes in the first cutscene but beats much worse later with basically no difference in strategy.

Does he though? He fights all 5 at once in the first cutscene, but then he fights off Zavok 1-on-1, Metal Sonic with assistance from OC, Infinite 1-on-1 and then with assistance from the OC, and then the Death Egg Robot with OC and Classic in tow.

3. Sega Execs have said that the human world and the furry world are not the same. But then why would Eggman be there?  

Sonic can move between both worlds, so can Eggman, probably.

4. Where did Silver come from? Why would he be on animal earth if he is from the future of the Iblis trigger?(still can't get over that) if they are going to bother with Silver they may as well have said screw it and had Blaze there to (who is either dead or in another dimension, or both), it's not like any of the other characters are playable just talking heads.

Rivals. His true origin is in Rivals. He still comes from a screwed up future but it's not the 06 silver. Blaze is still in another dimension.

5. All character development for tails is basically erased as if it never happened.

You got me there.

6. They retconned generations Sonic to be from another dimension as Tails clearly recognized him as well as that Sonic recognizing him back.

You kinda got me here too. I see it as Classic was always from another dimension, it was just assumed time travel because sonic and co had been there before.

7. Eggman and Infinite have definitively killed people in this game in mass, permanently. Eggman also doesn't seem to use the "animals in a robot" this time.

Yes, Eggman and Infinite aren't messing around. Eggman doesn't use "animals in a robot", probably because the robots aren't real. In the comic "Rise of Infinite", it's heavily implied that all the new robots are the Phantom Ruby's illusions.

8. Why would Eggman bring back the death egg in universe? I know the devs did it for nostalgia but it doesn't make sense in universe (let alone him building it in 6 months)

It makes perfect sense in-universe. It's a massive battle station, and it's tried and true. Asking why he'd bring it back is the same as asking "Why would the Empire build a second Death Star?". Also, him building it in 6 months is entirely feasible if you consider he probably had Phantom Ruby assistance.

9. Where is the Sonic CD planet? Wouldn't we be able to see it in this map?

It only shows up periodically, once a year. Assuming all of Forces takes place across 6 months-ish, you could just assume that it's not that time of year.

10. The game implies the wisps, which I don't think we're explained why they were in lost world, have been turned into weapons, with even some wispons still having things like eyes on them. Where's that back story?

They were in Lost World because "some of them decided to stick around after colours". Going into speculation, my theory is that the Wisps that stuck around, being sentient beings an all, lent their hand to the Resistance, providing their energy to the Wispons, and basically getting even with Sonic for saving them.

11. Why is knuckles the leader? He's a proven incompetent that rushes into things and is gullible, some of such traits show in game. Shadow could have been the leader, he's led teams before, is collected and calm, and has fought two different armies at the same time. Espio could have been another choice. Its clearl they purposefully didn't want it to be tails so they made him "lose it" but why would leadership default to knuckles?

Shadow is off doing his own thing with Team Dark for the most part. Espio could have been the leader, but Knuckles is more of a recognisable character from a non-Sonic fan point.

I mean it's like Forces started a new timeline that ignored the other games events or just leaving things unexplained and executives at Sega have not helped with this.

I don't think it's started a new timeline. It's tried to acknowledge past events (moreso in the prequel comics). If they've borked anything, it's the continuity of Classic Sonic. Is he from the past or another dimension? (I already gave my answer) Aaron said on a livestream that "Everything is canon, and it just works. Don't ask questions.", so that's probably what Sonic Team and SEGA are rolling with.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2017 at 7:33 AM, SaberX said:

Haha, so your explanation is the typical "because she flies", even though I said aside from her flying abilities. Thats sad, I was expecting a better answer.

So Rouge and Charmy are basically "just Tails".

Even the guide for Advance 2 says she's an alternate tails...

Even the guide for Advance 2 says she's an alternate tails...

You can only go so far on inane tangents without a source, link, image or any evidence whatsoever Mr. Bubsy.

Cream when she was introduced could have been called Amy's answer to Tails (that is, the tagalong kid she and Tails used to be). Especially since Amy has been presented as something of a Girl Sonic (at least before Blaze showed up and became a hit).

• Nice Smile 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/19/2017 at 9:06 AM, EdsonBubsy said:

No it's not, not until they explain Nega in rush and rivals being the same guy and gun ships appearing in. Rush. 

Yes it is canon and you have no proof that it isn't.

• 1 month later...

Okay, might as well take a crack at these since it was apparently a thing.

Note: I originally had this all editted and ready to post, but ...something went wrong and screwed me out of it all. So if you're wondering why this is so shoddily put together and explained, that's why.

On 11/17/2017 at 8:11 AM, EdsonBubsy said:

The storyline of Sonic from Sonic CD till Sonic Lost World may have been fully destroyed by Sonic Forces to the point that everything before Lost World is basically an alternate time line

Here are the many problems with the story in forces itself and what prominent Sega executives have "elaborated" on:

1. The first Ruby illusion you see is Chaos, although how Eggman copied Chaos is a mystery itself, why did he only do the basic form? Surely even with the phantom Ruby the chaos emeralds would actually still evolve chaos, wherever they are.

2. Sonic couldn't beat these fakes in the first cutscene but beats much worse later with basically no difference in strategy.

3. Sega Execs have said that the human world and the furry world are not the same. But then why would Eggman be there?  

4. Where did Silver come from? Why would he be on animal earth if he is from the future of the Iblis trigger?(still can't get over that) if they are going to bother with Silver they may as well have said screw it and had Blaze there to (who is either dead or in another dimension, or both), it's not like any of the other characters are playable just talking heads.

5. All character development for tails is basically erased as if it never happened.

6. They retconned generations Sonic to be from another dimension as Tails clearly recognized him as well as that Sonic recognizing him back.

7. Eggman and Infinite have definitively killed people in this game in mass, permanently. Eggman also doesn't seem to use the "animals in a robot" this time.

8. Why would Eggman bring back the death egg in universe? I know the devs did it for nostalgia but it doesn't make sense in universe (let alone him building it in 6 months)

9. Where is the Sonic CD planet? Wouldn't we be able to see it in this map?

10. The game implies the wisps, which I don't think we're explained why they were in lost world, have been turned into weapons, with even some wispons still having things like eyes on them. Where's that back story?

11. Why is knuckles the leader? He's a proven incompetent that rushes into things and is gullible, some of such traits show in game. Shadow could have been the leader, he's led teams before, is collected and calm, and has fought two different armies at the same time. Espio could have been another choice. Its clearl they purposefully didn't want it to be tails so they made him "lose it" but why would leadership default to knuckles?

I mean it's like Forces started a new timeline that ignored the other games events or just leaving things unexplained and executives at Sega have not helped with this.

Basically the next Sonic has to either be a better attempt at an 06 refresh or make Forces non-canon because as of now Sonic doesn't have a coherent story you can follow even at the most minimal degree.

1. Cause most recognizable and manageable.
  2. They caught him offguard and ganged up on him at once with Infinite.
  3. They can travel between the worlds, dimensions, and even time, which they do often.
  4.  Foresaw/learned Eggman would use the Phantom Ruby to fuck everything up and came back to warn and help everyone. 06's events/conditions ceased with Elise blowing out Solaris's candle form. Blaze didn't/couldn't get the memo yet and could probably eliminate much challenge anyway, if she was even considered.
  5.  Traumatized and guilty over not being able to help Sonic, so he gave the Resistance the equipment they'd need and went off on his own.
  6.  Timetravel and maybe Phantom Ruby shenanigans making it tomato-tomato. Also, Classic might be a good illusion.
  7.  Mostly Infinite, but not completely out of the scope of Eggman's conquest. He was unusually complicit, though.
  8.  Always was ultimately superweapon and/or single symbol of Eggman Empire's mighty genius. Now Intergalactic prison run by Zavok and satellite-generator for stabilizing/perfecting real Phantom Ruby.
  9.  Wasn't it always periodic in appearance/descent to begin with, requiring chaining down before?
  10.  Officially stated to have liked Sonic's World and thus some stayed/commuted,  thus ending up on Lost Hex because closer to Interstellar Amusement Park. Also, IDW explains Tails asked them for help and they volunteer to help power Resistance assets and equipment.
  11.  Always saw Tails as most likely Leader under normal circumstances, but he simply provided much of Resistance equipment and armory before going solo. Knuckles stepped up as brave Commander to lead troops into battle, while Amy took over technical side of things. Meanwhile, Shadow was thought to have joined Eggman when he really contending with Phantom Ruby's power and some of Eggman's forces for quite some time. Besides, he and Espio are not really ones for giving orders, just carrying them out efficiently.

/

On 11/17/2017 at 9:50 AM, superman43 said:

Another ideas to consider:
Eggman just make Infinite disappear, even though he is an actual character and not an illusion. 

Eggman didn´t conquer the entire world, only South Island.

Infinite was able to make an illusion (=reality) of falling sun for Sonic and co. after "3 days deadline" and Death Egg (one of the power supplies) destroyed. That´s just illogical if the Phantom Ruby Infinite had was much better than the Avatar´s.

He(and Infinite) can clearly control the Phantom Ruby's multitude of powers remotely and automatically, so it's not unreasonable to assume he could recall Infinite to some location of his choosing.

Chemical Plant was on Westside Island.

The Phantom Ruby's power had been being gradually charged up and perfected over time. Plus, Eggman had a backup generator that had finished what it was doing by the time Sonic and Buddy learned of it from Tails and destroyed it.

Also, just a recent guess here, it's entirely possible that the Ruby in Infinite was actually the Phantom Ruby, but rather the prototype-duplicate Eggman nearly perfected based off the original. 

On 11/17/2017 at 9:53 AM, EdsonBubsy said:

If silver is from rivals than Rouge should be flirting with Shadow and Eggman Nega would be involved. But rouge started switching from Knuckles to Shadow in 06 after hints on shadow the hedgehog.

I wasn't aware the canonicity of those games were ever in question.

Also, doesn't 06 basically say she has feelings for both?

On 11/17/2017 at 9:55 AM, EdsonBubsy said:

Phantom Ruby has a dynamic plot point surrounding it. They already said the Ruby was infinite but then changed it to the death egg powering it, but infinite still almost killed everyone.

Also eggman "killing" him makes no sense as he's the most competent Ally he has ever had but this plot though...

1.The Phantom Ruby had a lot of separate prototypes and/or duplicates of it throughout the story, as well as devices to help power/control them.

2.And that's exactly why he had to kill/depower/forsake him.

On 11/17/2017 at 10:00 AM, EdsonBubsy said:

also izzuka never said "gate" and since the animal/human world excuse places Eggman from the animal world then that excuse would retcon shadow the Hedgehog/adventure 2 out of the timeline.

His grandfather was from the human world, dude. 

He clearly just ended up crossing over to the animal world at some point.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

He(and Infinite) can clearly control the Phantom Ruby's multitude of powers remotely and automatically, so it's not unreasonable to assume he could recall Infinite to some location of his choosing.

Chemical Plant was on Westside Island.

The Phantom Ruby's power had been being gradually charged up and perfected over time. Plus, Eggman had a backup generator that had finished what it was doing by the time Sonic and Buddy learned of it from Tails and destroyed it.

Also, just a recent guess here, it's entirely possible that the Ruby in Infinite was actually the Phantom Ruby, but rather the prototype-duplicate Eggman nearly perfected based off the original. 

But it still undermines the very first thought that Infinite is real, to a great extent.

Not necessarily. It might be Westside Island, but still, Chemical Plant in Westside Island didn´t have cold areas in or near it.

It is still weird. In the beginning Sonic gets knocked out so easily, though when the "Phantom Ruby" should be supposedly closer to be perfected, Sonic is able to beat Infinite, or at least make it a close draw.

And I second your guess - the Phantom Ruby is just near-perfect duplicate, not original.

4 hours ago, superman43 said:

But it still undermines the very first thought that Infinite is real, to a great extent.

Not really? Like the Phantom Ruby has a buttload of different abilities and functions, including so degree of teleportation and/or time-space distortion. It(or the most advanced copy of it at the time) was still connected to Infinite and was clearly doing a bunch of things with or without his input or presence, so again, not unreasonable to think Eggman couldn't have him instantly transported to a particular location when needed.

Especially since they're clearly shown/established to have number of bases, ships, generators, satellite signals, and similar structures in place. Including the Imperial Tower Infinite was defeated for the last time near and was forcefully recalled towards.

Not necessarily. It might be Westside Island, but still, Chemical Plant in Westside Island didn´t have cold areas in or near it.

Cold areas?

It is still weird. In the beginning Sonic gets knocked out so easily, though when the "Phantom Ruby" should be supposedly closer to be perfected, Sonic is able to beat Infinite, or at least make it a close draw.

Unlike machines, he grows and gets stronger with each battle or something.

And again, logic-wise, the story makes more sense knowing/believing the real, perfected Phantom Ruby is not what Infinite was using.

And I second your guess - the Phantom Ruby is just near-perfect duplicate, not original.

Oh. Well, that makes the replies beforehand kinda redundant, eh? 😅

Sonic Forces did a horrible job for the serie's storyline.

At least the IDW comics which take inspiration from it will be better because it's written by Flynn and he is used to fixing bad concepts.

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Not really? Like the Phantom Ruby has a buttload of different abilities and functions, including so degree of teleportation and/or time-space distortion. It(or the most advanced copy of it at the time) was still connected to Infinite and was clearly doing a bunch of things with or without his input or presence, so again, not unreasonable to think Eggman couldn't have him instantly transported to a particular location when needed.

Especially since they're clearly shown/established to have number of bases, ships, generators, satellite signals, and similar structures in place. Including the Imperial Tower Infinite was defeated for the last time near and was forcefully recalled towards.

Cold areas?

Unlike machines, he grows and gets stronger with each battle or something.

And again, logic-wise, the story makes more sense knowing/believing the real, perfected Phantom Ruby is not what Infinite was using.

Oh. Well, that makes the replies beforehand kinda redundant, eh? 😅

1) The teleportation wasn´t shown in Forces otherwise.

2) Space port.

3) That´s why I used "Phantom Ruby" :D Cause of it being a duplicate. 

Anyway, he haven´t even fought with Infinite in the very beginning. So what´s that growing mentioned in the encounter in Mystic Jungle ? Fact that he isn´t buttkicked by near-perfect copies of Metal, Chaos, Shadow and Zavok ? That´s really weird, isn´t it ?

2 hours ago, superman43 said:

1) The teleportation wasn´t shown in Forces otherwise.

Chaos Control, flying, going through the pipeworks. whatever.

Point is, he went somewhere else when Eggman called.

2) Space port.

What about it?

3) That´s why I used "Phantom Ruby" :D Cause of it being a duplicate. 

Oh.

Anyway, he haven´t even fought with Infinite in the very beginning. So what´s that growing mentioned in the encounter in Mystic Jungle ? Fact that he isn´t buttkicked by near-perfect copies of Metal, Chaos, Shadow and Zavok ? That´s really weird, isn´t it ?

No, it's anime.

And he tried to boost into him and got kicked and shot at a couple of times.

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Chaos Control, flying, going through the pipeworks. whatever.

Point is, he went somewhere else when Eggman called.

What about it?

No, it's anime.

And he tried to boost into him and got kicked and shot at a couple of times.

Still a hole. Not big, but a hole.

Spaceport = a touch frozen Chemical Plant area. I don´t remember any frozen parts in WSI (=Sonic 2/Mania)´s Chemical Plant, sorry.

It´s much less anime than previous games.

On 6/24/2018 at 11:20 PM, Marco9966 said:

Sonic Forces did a horrible job for the serie's storyline.

At least the IDW comics which take inspiration from it will be better because it's written by Flynn and he is used to fixing bad concepts.

IMO, it didn't just do a horrible job, it basically took everything we knew about Sonic's story before and threw it out the window. No humans, no GUN, no Chaos Emeralds (or Master Emerald for that matter), no mention that Chaos turned good at the end of SA1, map is completely different, ignoring Sonic 06 was erased from continuity, etc etc. Way too many to count. You could argue the game was a clean reboot of the series but too many references of Sonic's past were made to do that.

Why Sega decided to get rid of the Chaos Emeralds and chuck them in as a 'party trick' feature at the last minute is beyond me. Most other games before Forces the Emeralds are a critical plot point and they are now just a stupid gimmick with no plot relevance. Even Generations had Chaos Emeralds in the plot. Here they're nowhere to be seen. Anywhere. What were they thinking?

• Thumbs Up 2

There's no obligation that humans or GUN or the chaos emeralds be in every single game.

The thing about no obligation is one thing... the other one... "Those things have come in handy in the past." 

Emeralds not used since Sonic Generations, not used in Sonic Colors. (Basically since Unleashed, with the exception of Generations)

Humans not mentioned since Unleashed (albeit compared to 06 they were more of a joke) = 10 years already
GUN not mentioned since 06 = 11,5 years already

GUN's not in the canon anymore is all. And Iizuka has the impression that the fanbase rejects non-Eggman humans.

No, GUN is entirely canon, until explicitly stated otherwise; the key difference in Sonic Forces is that - while admittedly not refenced anywhere, in the usual Sonic Team fashion - the game is supposed to take place on "Sonic's world", a planet populated primarily by animal people and a separate world to Earth; the planets are supposed to be linked by some sort of gateway, but details are extremely vague.

Sonic Team has had this idea of Sonic being split between two worlds bouncing around in their heads since at least Colors (when the first reference to "Sonic's world" rather than Earth happened), and I believe Iizuka has mentioned it in some interviews. Earth has humans, GUN and more realistic settings, while Sonic's world has animal people and the more fantastic locations like Green Hill Zone.

Why of course they haven't seen fit to explicitly reference this in the games outside of vague implications is of course anyone's guess.

As a side issue, I'm not too saddened by the lack of Chaos Emeralds in the recent games; if every story revolves around them and inevitably ends in Sonic becoming Super Sonic, things would get very boring, and I don't fault Sonic Team for giving them a rest - it'll make them more special when they're properly used again.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

9 hours ago, Nestor said:

No, GUN is entirely canon, until explicitly stated otherwise; the key difference in Sonic Forces is that - while admittedly not refenced anywhere, in the usual Sonic Team fashion - the game is supposed to take place on "Sonic's world", a planet populated primarily by animal people and a separate world to Earth; the planets are supposed to be linked by some sort of gateway, but details are extremely vague.

It's mentioned/alluded to in a column on the Japanese Sonic Forces website, talking about the background art. It's mentioned that the signs have a made-up language with a made-up alphabet because it's not set in a real human world.

http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicChannel/sonicforces/column/20171117_001492/

Google translated:

""Urban area" with many exposures. Although it may not stop mindly when playing casually, the world where characters including characters like Sonic do not use the so-called "letters" such as English as background because it is not a real human world. Although I use numbers for some gimmicks, in the background, it is an enumeration of simple figures that seem to be characters, and I feel like something written in it. If you look closely at the casino ruins of Mystic Jungle, there is a similar series of figures."

Sonic Team has had this idea of Sonic being split between two worlds bouncing around in their heads since at least Colors (when the first reference to "Sonic's world" rather than Earth happened), and I believe Iizuka has mentioned it in some interviews. Earth has humans, GUN and more realistic settings, while Sonic's world has animal people and the more fantastic locations like Green Hill Zone.

I believe Iizuka first mentioned it in this interview with UK retailer "Game", promoting Sonic Colours.

"We have two different worlds for Sonic games – one is human, and one is set on the non-human side. Sonic Colours is set on the non-human side. The only human in the game is Dr Eggman, who tries to build this huge amusement park which, as you will see on the world map, ties all these planets together with a tractor beam.

Eggman is trying to use all of these planets for his own evil ends which will be revealed at a later time, and Sonic realises what he is trying to do and sets out to try and stop him. That is the main story behind Sonic Colours."

As a side issue, I'm not too saddened by the lack of Chaos Emeralds in the recent games; if every story revolves around them and inevitably ends in Sonic becoming Super Sonic, things would get very boring, and I don't fault Sonic Team for giving them a rest - it'll make them more special when they're properly used again.

Agreed. Including Super Sonic as a non-story extra (as in Colours Wii and Forces) is a decent compromise. But I think Sonic games can get on just fine without Super Sonic or Chaos Emeralds. Sonic CD for example.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think it stories the series storyline , I think it complicates things a fair bit. 

Wheres da chaos emeralds

Why's shadow here

Why's silver here

Is the phantom ruby just around now

That said, if they just ignore this game entirely... it fixes everything

That doesn't fix the problem though

Because everyone literally went " where are the chaos emeralds Sonic Shadow and Silver could just solve the plot." ( to be honest shadow could have solved a lot of the plot and they seemed to have just ejected his ass from he plot for that reason).  It seemed very clear that people wanted super characters in the game by the end of it. They introduced chaos emeralds into this world and they have to deal with idea that unless they get rid of them entirely , they have to kinda deal with people expecting them. This story in particular, because this was a "doomsday take over the world scenario" that could have actually saved lives around the world sooner if I dunno shadow had found all the chaos emeralds, broke sonic out of jail , they both went super and went ham on everyone. The chaos emeralds being MIA in this story is a cruel joke rather than good story telling. 

Also, even if you want to take each game as its own canon and there is no through line, every game shadow exists there has to be chaos emeralds in it. Which would make future games, like forces even weirder. Also silver existing here... also means chaos emeralds exist because that's how he got here, was chaos emeralds.....so yeah.

I get they don't want to use the chaos emeralds, but they are actually going to have to get rid of them. To solve this problem, not pretend they don't exist, remove them. And make super sonic, shadow whoever a fun bonus you unlock at the end of the story