Awoo.

Sony's super showcase starting slim sights signals... SILLYNESS!

Badnik Mechanic

Sony's big GamesCom conference just ended.

And they had some very big announcements.

First off...

Firmware 3.0:

What's New"

Edited by Casanova

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tornado

• SuperLink

• Badnik Mechanic

• Tiller

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, PSN cards are out when I just won't need them in a matter of weeks.

Still, good for those who won't have a bank account for a while ;)

Hmm... Maybe I can actually can a PS3 soon, then. I planned on buying a new PS2 (slim, in fact), as well as a Wii (after I saved up some more money), but perhaps now I'll just go straight for PS3 and worry about Wii later. The only sucky thing is that I have to start all my PS2 games over... Well, its better than using a PS2 that takes a freakishly long time to load, at least.

2 topics of this? Damn.

Either way I've already said it, Im all interested in the price drop more than Slim and Firmware. I might get a PS3 sooner than expected.

Edited by Ego

Hmm... Maybe I can actually can a PS3 soon, then. I planned on buying a new PS2 (slim, in fact), as well as a Wii (after I saved up some more money), but perhaps now I'll just go straight for PS3 and worry about Wii later. The only sucky thing is that I have to start all my PS2 games over... Well, its better than using a PS2 that takes a freakishly long time to load, at least.

It doesn't have backwards compatibility either though. So you're not going to be able to start those games at all with a newer PS3.

copy pasta:

Ugh. That is one ugly PS3. *hugs older PS3*

The price drop though will hopefully move some consoles for people on the fence! $300 smackers for both the newer and older versions is excellent. The firmware is a nice addition. Though it isn't the same as cross game chat or some of the other features on Live, so it isn't really anything new if you're used to the 360.

So with the Elite/PS3 dropping to $300 and the Wii is at $250, I foresee quite a Christmas battle about to ensue.

It kind of makes my brother feel silly getting a PS3 for Christmas last year. The funny thing is that he doesn't even play it anymore so I get to take it to college. Though I wouldn't have minded picking one up at the new price point even if it's ugly. I hope the 360 follow suit so I can pick up an Elite (my brother won't let me take that...) for cheap and have the best of both worlds!

Oh and we should merge this thread http://www.sonicstadium.org/board/index.php?showtopic=2312 and this one. Sorry Casanova, but Shade beat you to the punch. Though this topic has more info.

Edited by Rauzaruke

2 topics of this? Damn.

Well in my defense... mine is not a copy and paste. So it took me considerably longer to write up. But I have reported my own topic if anyone cares.

It doesn't have backwards compatibility either though. So you're not going to be able to start those games at all with a newer PS3.

As someone who has a giant library of old PS2 games, some semi completed including Kingdom Hearts 2 and the warriors... the only time I have ever used my PS3 to play as PS2 game, is to help get a few trophies on Singstar, and on that game, you can play PS2 Singstar games without your PS3 being backwards compatible.

Backwards compatibiliy is great in theory.... but who really uses it? Other than maybe playing one classic game per year, who actually uses the backwards compatible function on a regular basis?

I do. I love PS2 games, I love Gamecube games. I play them all very regularly.

It would just be nice (convenient) to not to have to plug them in all the time. Thankfully the Wii can do that. If the PS3 can't then chances are the PS2 will be plugged into the telly far more often than the PS3 is.

Well in my defense... mine is not a copy and paste. So it took me considerably longer to write up. But I have reported my own topic if anyone cares.

I guess a mod will merge them eventually....

As someone who has a giant library of old PS2 games, some semi completed including Kingdom Hearts 2 and the warriors... the only time I have ever used my PS3 to play as PS2 game, is to help get a few trophies on Singstar, and on that game, you can play PS2 Singstar games without your PS3 being backwards compatible.

Backwards compatibiliy is great in theory.... but who really uses it? Other than maybe playing one classic game per year, who actually uses the backwards compatible function on a regular basis?

Well the PS2 has new releases that came out and some of those are not BC on a 80gb. Many sequels on the PS3 have their previous PS2 counterparts which make me even more interested in BC. I do also know people who sold their PS2 to get the PS3.

Hi Res Screens:

http://scr3.golem.de/?d=0908/PS3Slim&a=69045&s=1

Edited by Shade737

That's what I was trying to get at. Your's was more fun to read through :B

People like me? I never owned a PS2 because I was an inane fanboy at the time it came out. (ie: death of the Dreamcast which Sony helped along...) I never bothered to pick it up either and I thought my chance to catch a bunch of great games in the bargain bin was approaching with the PS3. But then FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS happened and I waited for a price drop. Then they took out b/c and my plan was ruined.

Though I probably should just pick one up at $99, It could be spent elsewhere like on a personal 360 for college or something. I just figured I could kill two birds with one stone, but Sony killed the first bird before I could throw. D:

Oh and I play a bunch of b/c games on the 360/Wii. I played my way through Conker L&R again last week and started on Custom Robo with the Wii...before a lightning storm fried the poor little guy.

Edited by Rauzaruke

Not directed at you, but I find it interesting for those who say something along those lines; but then go "well, if you really want to play PS2 games buy a PS2." Its as if they don't understand the irony in their statements.

Also:

HDD.jpg

Edit:

Yes.

ps3-slim-unboxing2-dsc_0050-rm-eng.jpg

Edited by Tornado