Jump to content
EdsonBubsy

Mortal Kombat Vs. Street Fighter, which series is better overall.

Recommended Posts

So it's been almost 10 tears since Street Fighter came back from an almost 10 year hiatus with SFiv vanilla, so the debates been heated since.

Do you believe the Street Fighter is better overall or MortalKombat?

Imo, I would give it to Mortal Kombat for a few reasons:

1. Mortal Kombat is the only fighting game franchise that hasn't had a hiatus/time period where sales were low for a good length. Every time things started looking shaky they always came back. Look at MK4 then it bounced back with Deception. Look at Armageddon and it bounced back with Vs. DC.

2. The franchise outside if Japan has the most iconic/recognized characters in a fighting game and fairs well against other genres as well.

3. Mortal Kombat was the only fighting game with Action Adventure or rpg levels of content and to be honest still is, Since Trilogy.

4. The one of few fighting game franchise that really care enough to put a great deal of effort into the SP, which Tekken was looking to catch up to but then 7 happened. Occasional outliers here and there.

5. It is the only Fighting game franchise, if it has an actual storyline, to have a coherent story despite all the crazy elements. You can actually tell the story of MK good luck explaining Tekken to someone.

6. It's the best example of teaching as you play which most other fighters never do and most of them have crap tutorials.

7. The only fighting game franchise that has a good movie based on it.

Now if you've played both but prefer a different game series, please still state your opinion and why you prefer one of these two over the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say Street Fighter, but I prefer King of the Fighters over them two series. I didn't really get into Mortal Kombat... I just thought it was kind of a gimmick (at first) because it used pre-rendered sprites... and blood.

And people like that, going as far as calling the Genesis version of Mortal Kombat (2 I think it was) better than the SNES version just because the Genesis/Mega Drive version had blood and the SNES didn't, while disregarding the fact that the Genesis only has 4 buttons, and it resorts to using the start button to block. 

I'm pretty sure the newer games aren't that bad. I have played Mortal Kombat 9 on Xbox 360 and it was quite interesting, but that was before I started to get into traditional fighters like SF, MK, KOF, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Typical said:

And people like that, going as far as calling the Genesis version of Mortal Kombat (2 I think it was) better than the SNES version just because the Genesis/Mega Drive version had blood and the SNES didn't, while disregarding the fact that the Genesis only has 4 buttons, and it resorts to using the start button to block.

It was the original game, and the SNES version of it also played like hot garbage. Not terribly important since the first Mortal Kombat sucked anyway, but it wasn't just the fact that Nintendo stripmined it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MK has better aesthetics and story.

SF has more in depth mechanics and is much more competitive.

I'm not sure why this is a debate, I'm sure most people who know the ins and outs of both franchises can agree to this on some level...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Mortal Kombat 2 through 9 are fucking amazing. A blast to joy, a big part of my childhood, and just too good. 

See, while I enjoyed Mortal Kombat X, it just... I don't know. It went with the DARK AND EDGY AND SERIOUS route which every modern videogame must take for some reason. And it lost its charm. I honestly feel it lacks soul. It's a fantastic game graphically and from a design standpoint but it just feels bleak to me. I can't tell you why.

Street Fighter, they've always been fun. But they really dropped the ball with Street Fighter V.

latest?cb=20170905154527

Ugh.

At least Zeku is great I guess.

Killer Instinct is better than both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Alienrun said:

MK has better aesthetics and story.

SF has more in depth mechanics and is much more competitive.

I'm not sure why this is a debate, I'm sure most people who know the ins and outs of both franchises can agree to this on some level...

But the question is which you prefer overall.

20 minutes ago, Blue Wisp said:

 

Mortal Kombat 2 through 9 are fucking amazing. A blast to joy, a big part of my childhood, and just too good. 

See, while I enjoyed Mortal Kombat X, it just... I don't know. It went with the DARK AND EDGY AND SERIOUS route which every modern videogame must take for some reason. And it lost its charm. I honestly feel it lacks soul. It's a fantastic game graphically and from a design standpoint but it just feels bleak to me. I can't tell you why.

Street Fighter, they've always been fun. But they really dropped the ball with Street Fighter V.

latest?cb=20170905154527

Ugh.

At least Zeku is great I guess.

Killer Instinct is better than both.

?

What part of MKx was more dark and edgy than say, deception/Armageddon?

The game starts off Johnny pulling moves out his ass. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, EdsonBubsy said:

 

What part of MKx was more dark and edgy than say, deception/Armageddon?

The game starts off Johnny pulling moves out his ass. Lol.

Everything?

The game drops the narm from previous titles and goes for a more """""realistic""""" dark and srs bsns style. While 9 has traces of that, 9 and X are night and day. 9 keeps that... Cartoony? Videogamey? style that every other Mortal Kombat game before had. It's what made the series fun as fuck for me. 

Overkill and Over the Top isn't the same.  MKX's fatalities are overkill, I don't feel they're as over-the-top as past fatalities. 

I hope MK11 goes back to its old roots and fucking drop the variation shit that's stupid. 

And by god if it has lootboxes I won't even bother. Fucking Injustice 2 with those mother boxes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 11/20/2017 at 11:33 AM, Blue Wisp said:

It's a fantastic game graphically and from a design standpoint but it just feels bleak to me. I can't tell you why.

Street Fighter, they've always been fun. But they really dropped the ball with Street Fighter V.

VainDecentBelugawhale.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=5837190

 

Meanwhile in SFV:

hLZPhkM.gif

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Remy said:

 

VainDecentBelugawhale.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=5837190

 

Meanwhile in SFV:

hLZPhkM.gif

 

 

God damn I love SFV's art style. 

Actually, in hindsight, the characters in MKX look odd. It's like they're made of plastic or something glossy. Might be the lightning. Truth be told I honestly don't like MKX that much. Neither Injustice 2 ESPECIALLY Injustice 2 fuck that game in its motherbox.

I wish SFV wasn't PS4-PC only, my Xbox One ass is crying. But hey Killer Instinct is still fantastic and SFIV is backwards compatible so eh.

Actually fuck it I'll say it. Mortal Kombat X and Injustice 2 are extremely overrated. Netherrealm Studios aren't as good as people say it is. 

Mortal Kombat 9 is still extremely fun though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I'm mostly just kidding around with the GIFs but MKX is a weird as fuck game to me graphically. I love the look of virtually all the stages but all the characters look and animate like ass to me. I just can't get around the limp wristed weak looking punches/kicks, slap fight esque impacts and awkward posing.

Meanwhile in SFV everyone, yes everyone, looks like they're kicking serious ass 100% of the time (note: exception in spoiler) which to me makes the game about 100x more appealing and fun to play. In general it also helps that the feel and systems of SFV feel better than the rigid dial a combo 50/50 heavy oppressive nature of MK

Spoiler

except cammy airthrow which is garbage

2 hours ago, Blue Wisp said:

 

I wish SFV wasn't PS4-PC only, my Xbox One ass is crying. But hey Killer Instinct is still fantastic and SFIV is backwards compatible so eh.

SFV not being on Xbone sucks so bad. I play on PC, but exclusives still suck. KI is indeed a++

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They both have their pros and cons. Overall, like with any fighting game this is really just a matter of preference. Everything, from aesthetics to moves is just what you prefer. I prefer Street Fighter by far, MK's characters are nice in a story setting though. 

SF is a more traditional fighter and thus will be better at delivering a fun experience using that aspect, whereas MK while still being 2-D has quite a few more unconventional/unusual aspects like a block button. There's a reason why MK isn't all too popular competitively compared to other fighters really but I digress.

KI is cool too, the combo system is good and bad in the way that a casual player will basically have 0 chance beating an experienced one though. Not even dumb luck will help, which is kind of hilarious. About SFV though, having it PS4/PC only was kind of a price to pay for crossplay it seems. It was worth it imo but then again I'm a PC player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hero said:

KI is cool too, the combo system is good and bad in the way that a casual player will basically have 0 chance beating an experienced one though. Not even dumb luck will help, which is kind of hilarious.

At least it incites getting better at the game unlike Injustice 2 where you can pick Captain Cold and just spam ice blasts and ice walls from the entire screen away or just use Aquaman and throw tridents and spam the tentacles.

Yes I'm salty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both games are awesome, but I prefer Mortal Kombat just a bit more. MK games have varied tremendously since its birth in 1992. The PS2 era MK's are what truly won me over. I especially enjoy adventure mode in Deception and how we experience Shujinko's life and watch him grow old. Adventure mode is a kreative way to unlock new characters too. Then there's Shaolin Monks, an awesome ko-op game of its time. Deadly Alliance was amazing too. Plus Bo Rai Cho joins in for the first time, drunk as always. There's just so much depth to MK's storyline and characters. I could go on forever and ever...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.