Awoo.

Two Separate Worlds in the Sonic games

RedFox99

I'm not sure if this has already been done. Anyways, I've been pondering about the whole Sonic's world and the human world being separate and it makes me wonder how thus could've happened and I want to se what you guys think about and if you have theories about this. I myself am more for a world like the one in the reboot comics where humans and Mobians coexist.

I'm trying to figure out if the mania dimension has two worlds also.

I always wondered how sonic can travel between both worlds at will like say for instance, sonic unleashed took place in the human world and sonic colors-forces is in the animal world. It would be pretty neat if eggman had one of those worlds conquered and sonic is gradually trying to free it from his grasp while also going to the other world and stopping eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, A hyper KING heavy engine said:

I'm trying to figure out if the mania dimension has two worlds also.

I always wondered how sonic can travel between both worlds at will like say for instance, sonic unleashed took place in the human world and sonic colors-forces is in the animal world. It would be pretty neat if eggman had one of those worlds conquered and sonic is gradually trying to free it from his grasp while also going to the other world and stopping eggman.

Yeah, it makes me wonder how they even travel across each world. That is an interesting idea.

I don't think the "two worlds" thing is a concept that will ever be addressed in-game, so I don't feel like it really matters.

To me, the whole "this game takes place on Earth, and this one on Sonic's World" is just an internal mentality the development team decides upon when starting each project, so that elements being designed for the game itself (e.g. environments, npcs, etc.) are more consistent with each other. Games like SA2, 06, and Unleashed take place on Earth,  so the environments featured are more realistic and may also be inhabited by humans. In contrast, games like Heroes, Colors, and Lost World take place on/near "Sonic's World", so their environments are more abstract and feature "weirder" elements like cute aliens or the little animals from Sonic 1. That's it.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Just make it all one world. The two world's thing is nothing but an excuse just like "The part of the moon that was blown up in SA2 was the dark side, thats why you dont see it

• Thumbs Up 3

...How was Angel Island in the "human world" then?

Clearly they didn't think this back during the Adventure era, did they?

• Thumbs Up 4

The two worlds bullshit is not a thing and I refuse to acknowledge it as a thing just because some hack director wants to make shit up to excuse the shitty writing that they obviously don't care about.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

...How was Angel Island in the "human world" then?

Clearly they didn't think this back during the Adventure era, did they?

No they didn't. It's obvious Sonic's game world (instead of the Archie/SatAM/Underground version with Eggman being an invader of an otherwise anthro world) was supposed to be no different from Looney Tunes' (anthro lead characters with humans being foils or background characters) from the Genesis days up until Unleashed. Even Sonic 06 has Silver be from the future of the same world of Elise.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think this should apply to the modern world, with the Classic and Adventure worlds not having this shit go on.

Personally, I think the concept could potentially work... if given time, focus and purpose,  so not from Sonic games. Everyone it should be dropped and said that humans and Mobian live on the same planet, it just happens some games don't have the others as NPCs.

But to be stubborn, I think we should take Sonic X as a base. We need to assume that something moves characters and even places (like Angel Island and probably Green Hills) from Mobius to Earth (yes I'll keep using those names. Deal with it, it's easier that way). Sonic started on Mobius (during, umm, a classic period from this dimension) and Eggman came from Earth through Chaos-Thing. Then they all went to Earth for Adventure 1 - Unleashed. Were Colors, Generations or Lost Word on Mobius? Who can tell! Earth still had Solaris, Gaia, and Black Arms, it might have Wisps and Zeti. And finally, Forces must be taking place back on Mobius. Apparently, Chaos-Thing brought back Green Hills but moved it from Island to the main continent.

There, this is the closest thing I can make to logic. Also, Classic Dimensions is the third zone, like Blaze's world or Secret Ring/Black Knight

I'm convinced that the two worlds concept was a hastily thrown together excuse from SoJ to explain the discrepancies in artstyle between Sonic games while still appearing to care about lore and continuity. They're really wishy-washy on that honestly; I think they realize that the Sonic franchise holds some soft continuity between games and that's just the way the franchise has been built up until recently, but they also kinda wish that they didn't have to deal with that aspect of the franchise and could eliminate narrative/lore continuity from the series while still holding onto characters and settings from past games. It's clear to me that they really don't care about this aspect of the franchise, but what really irks me is the fact that they pretend like they do. Nintendo, for all my complaints, has outright stated that Mario games do not follow any kind of continuity and that it's best to think of them more like actors who can fit a variety of situations. It's not the way I wish things were, but it's a concrete decision that's better off than what SEGA's doing, which is pretending like there's some huge super secret continuity via giving this Sonic world/human world parallel dimension nonsense, which of course, is never going to be brought up in-game, because it's a dumb idea and the dev team knows it. Not saying the idea can't work under any capacity, but I certainly don't trust Sonic Team to pull that kind of idea off well.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Writer's Blah said:

Nintendo, for all my complaints, has outright stated that Mario games do not follow any kind of continuity and that it's best to think of them more like actors who can fit a variety of situations. 

It's a little more complicated than that. Miyamoto specifically adopts this mindset, but not everyone who works on Mario games has this outlook. Many of the RPGs make direct references to previous adventures and continuity, and even some of the platformers treat the series as having a unified canon. Without getting into spoilers, Super Mario Odyssey makes direct references to a number of previous games as having been literal historical events that happened prior to the story of this game; It's safe to say that Koizumi has a pretty different view of the Mario story than Miyamoto does.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

I hate the moronic two-worlds idea.  It's a blatant retcon and a limp cop-out to avoid having to do any actual world-building or set even the slightest feature of Sonic's world in stone, and the only redeeming feature it could possibly have is that they will never actually put it in the games as that would make it harder for them to then change their minds again for the next idiotic whim which floats across their brains.  Two worlds is no more canon to me than Classic and Modern being separate timelines.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't take two worlds seriously. Sonic Team probably doesn't take any of this shit seriously so why should I? 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Didn’t Sonic Team oversee Sonic X? Seems like they might have had this idea for a while.  

But between ours, Modern Sonic’s, Classic Sonic’s, and Blaze’s, I’m just trying to figure out when the Universe Survival Arc is joined.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Didn’t Sonic Team oversee Sonic X? Seems like they might have had this idea for a while.  

But between ours, Modern Sonic’s, Classic Sonic’s, and Blaze’s, I’m just trying to figure out when the Universe Survival Arc is joined.

Yeah, you've got a point there. Though hopefully it's executed a lot better than in X.

32 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Sonic X repeatedly clashes with the games. And ignored the rule about humans and anthros being in different dimensions within Season 3.

Season 3 was the Metarex arc, wasn’t it? Chris came from Earth, but are we really going to count space humans in this? Or were there others I’m forgetting?

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't even be surprised if they actually did have this in mind for the games during Adventure (would explain why X is set up.. the way it is).. games still happened, makes about as much sense now as it would have then. That is to say it doesn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe they are still a part of the same world, but Sonic and the other animals were exiled, and seperated from the humans, due to fear, paranoia, and prejudice from the humans. Sonic and pals are stuck living on the more bizarre side of the world, full of loopty loops, while the humans have the more realistic parts of the world to themselves.

Maybe it still doesn’t explain everything, but it could make for a setup for a future game, or even the Sonic Movie. We could see how it came to that point, and see how Sonic still wants to protect the entire world, despite his kind being divided from human civilization. Sonic could be fighting to prove the world needs him, and his friends. Sonic only crosses over to the human side when he really needs to.

Maybe overtime, Sonic realizes him and his kind are too dangerous to be around humans, and realize they probably should stay away from humans, unless something comes up, where he and his friends are the only ones who can stop it.

I always kind of got that vibe when playing Sonic Chronicles, that game seemed kind of divided between the wacky Sonic style landscapes, and the more civilized landscapes. It made me feel like Sonic and pals were forced to live outside the cities, yet are needed when trouble approaches. I’m aware Chronicles isn’t canon, and doesn’t state anywhere that Sonic and pals aren’t allowed in Station Square, but it was one of the first Sonic games to have divided human like worlds and bizarre Sonic style worlds. The Adventure games felt more like hybrids of real and bizarre, while Chronicles felt more divided, like one part of the world is realistic, while the other is more fantasy like.

Maybe Sega just got sick of humanity, and wanted humans out of the series entirely? Maybe the humans got in a war, and just ended up blowing each other up, yet Sonic and the other animals managed to survive. Maybe that does sound too extreme and unlikely, but who knows? 

That’s what happens when franchises don’t have a good excuse for why they keep changing things around, or don’t explain things. It causes people to make up crazy theories. Sonic games keep jumping from continuity to no continuity, to constantly having some continuity again, while ignoring other instances of continuity. Classic Sonic in Forces is a very good example of mixed continuity. It acknowledges twice that he is the Classic Sonic from Generations, but they got it wrong by getting his backstory wrong. He was originally a younger Sonic from the past, now he’s a Sonic from another dimension?...

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Razule said:

I wouldn't even be surprised if they actually did have this in mind for the games during Adventure (would explain why X is set up.. the way it is).. games still happened, makes about as much sense now as it would have then. That is to say it doesn't.

The developers from Genesis up to Adventure 2 repeatedly pointed to humans and anthros being on one world. What with the humans in Sandoplis Zone, Man of the Year, Sonic having Madonna as a girlfriend, Adventure 1 having Echidnaland being within train distance of Station Square.

The two worlds thing is bullshit and should have never been a thing to begin with personally.
As all it does is unnecessarily overcompilcate things a ton IMO. Like why can't we have just one world where Humans and Mobians exist side by side?

After all, Post Reboot Archie had no problem doing that
Image result for Professor Pickle archie sonic

Image result for Sonic Archie Station Square

1024?cb=20151118213102

Hell there were humans living in Sonic's world as far back as Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

Related image

Related image

And the early concepts of Sonic the Hedgehog 1 had Madonna
Image result for Madonna sonic

which would have been right alongside Sonic and his band if she made it into the final product
Image result for Sonic the Hedgehog band

And one of the promotional Mangas for Sonic 1 also had this
Image result for Madonna sonic

And of course, that's not even mentioning the actual games
Which in the case of games like Adventure 1 had humans living in the same world as these guys
Image result for Sonic Adventure knuckle tribe

So what's with this two worlds thing all of a sudden?
It was never brought up or even really a thing in previous games and all it does is overcompilcate things to a silly and unnecessary extent
Look I know Sonic Team has never cared about continuity and consistency with their games (This is the same franchise that originally had Eggman Nega from another dimension in Rush and then having him from the future in Rivals) and for the most part, I have no problem with that, and I know this is not a new thing for the franchise (Sonic X has done it as well as Sonic the Comic) but this is just a tad bit silly in my personal opinion. (For the games at least)

Like look at Mario for example, in Super Mario Odyssey alone
You have
800px-SMO_Tostarenans.jpg

Tostarenans

Image result for shiverians mario

Shiverians

Image result for steam gardeners

Steam Gardeners

Image result for volbonans

Volbonans

File:SMO Bubblainians.jpg

Bublainians

super-mario-odyssey-new-donk-city.jpg

Realistic looking humans (New Donkers to be more specific) and
Image result for Mario Odyssey cappy

Bonnetoners
All of that, living on the same planet as all of these guys

Image result for Mario castImage result for Bowser's army

Related image

Image result for Yoshi's

Image result for Toads mario

So if Mario, a franchise that has little to no continuity in the slightest can have all of these species (Plus more) living on one single planet and world
Then I'm sure Sonic can handle two species living on the same planet without any real problems. (In the games at least)

Sorry for the rant BTW, I know in the end, 
I'm bitching and complaining about something that's not really all that important (I doubt they'll even really bring it up in the games anyway)
I'm sure a lot of people are happy with this and that's cool, this is all just personal opinion and ranting at the end of the day and if you agree or disagree
Then cool.

• Thumbs Up 3