Awoo.

Two Separate Worlds in the Sonic games

RedFox99

Yea, the "two separate worlds" thing is just a cop out I'll never take seriously, especially when considering it'll never ever be touched upon in-game, let alone ever plausibly straighten things out. You can just tell whichever PR came up with this idea merely glanced at Sonic Adventure and rolled with whatever first came to mind.

You can even see as far back in Sonic Adventure itself that these people and animals coexisted with each other. Like I'm talking living in Sonic's classic levels:

8wAauZL.png

What are these humans doing setting up livelihoods in Ice Cap Zone if they are supposed to be from separate worlds entirely? Clearly this "Sonic's World vs Human World" idea (and by extension: "Classic Sonic's World vs Modern Sonic's World") was not the direction the old Sonic Team was going for at all back then.

According to my count I actually came up with 7 different world settings.

1. Mobius (Archie Comics / cartoons)

2. Happy go lucky video game word similar to the one of Mario or Kirby (Classic era)

3. Alternative earth inhabited mostly by humans now and with a bit of a futuristic setting (Dreamcast era, Shadow and Sonic 06)

4. A fully cyber / futuristic city setting and only inhabited now by anthropomorphic animals (Riders series)

5. Alternative earth very close now to owner earth with similar continents and different types of human culture + also now completely inhabited by humans (Sonic Unleashed)

6. The new ancient world in the Sonic Boom games which is mostly inhabited by anthropomorphic animals and some super natural creatures like monsters and evil spirits (Sonic Boom series)

7. The new world in Sonic Forces which very close to the worlds of the Dreamcast era - 06, but this time around only inhabited by anthropomorphic animals (Sonic Forces)

Wow, the Sonic series is even not really very consistent with its own world. They really should just make it clear what the fridge this franchise supposed to be. Just set on one idea for once. Give your franchise a freaking own identity for once.

1 I didn't meet a single person that likes "Two Worlds" concept.

2 Of course Mario can have bunch of species in one world. They simply don't care. (Ironic how Sega cares and doesn't cares at the same time)

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, StriCNYN3 said:

Yea, the "two separate worlds" thing is just a cop out I'll never take seriously, especially when considering it'll never ever be touched upon in-game, let alone ever plausibly straighten things out. You can just tell whichever PR came up with this idea merely glanced at Sonic Adventure and rolled with whatever first came to mind.

You can even see as far back in Sonic Adventure itself that these people and animals coexisted with each other. Like I'm talking living in Sonic's classic levels:

8wAauZL.png

What are these humans doing setting up livelihoods in Ice Cap Zone if they are supposed to be from separate worlds entirely? Clearly this "Sonic's World vs Human World" idea (and by extension: "Classic Sonic's World vs Modern Sonic's World") was not the direction the old Sonic Team was going for at all back then.

I may be missing it, but where are the humans in that picture?

They're not confirmed to be humans, but we did see humans in the background of Sandoplis and we never saw anything in Adventure to rule out humanity on whatever continent the Angel Island was before Chaos went full nuke the world.

• Thumbs Up 1

@KingScoopaKoopa The buildings on the right of the pic (There're also hot air balloons and jet planes soaring in that level, too) implies that people moved into Ice Cap zone when that part of Angel Island didn't fly up with the rest of it.

@Almar Hmm, I guess they can be animals in there, too, but given that Sonic Adventure was really pushing the "humans are here, too" card, I don't think it'd be a stretch to say they moved in when that piece of land became available for them.

53 minutes ago, StriCNYN3 said:

The buildings on the right of the pic (There're also hot air balloons and jet planes soaring in that level, too) implies that people moved into Ice Cap zone when that part of Angel Island didn't fly up with the rest of it.

When was it implied that certain parts of Angel Island fly around separately from each other? The Ice Cap from both S3&K and SA1 is still a part of the same island that falls during different periods of SA1. You can even see it in the cg cutscenes:

GpztKDP.png

I always figured that the inclusion of houses and hot air balloons was a mistake on the designers' part, and was just another example of them not taking the series' continuity too seriously.

8 hours ago, Almar said:

They're not confirmed to be humans, but we did see humans in the background of Sandoplis and we never saw anything in Adventure to rule out humanity on whatever continent the Angel Island was before Chaos went full nuke the world.

There were also human faces in Marble Garden, and a human-like statue in Wacky Workbench. Not to mention the realistic animals in the Sonic 1 special stage and Balloon Park.

@Clewis Oh, nah. I didn't mean to imply that certain parts of Angel Island fly around. Just that In Sonic Adventure, only the "emerald shrine" part of Angel Island floats now while the rest of the island, like where Ice Cap, Red Mountain Lost World and the rest resides, sits in the ocean indefinitely.

But looking at that pic of yours though, all this time for whatever reason til now, those mountain peaks never registered as an icy area to me, let alone Ice Cap Zone, or even Red Mountain. I just figured those mountains in the CGI were just something the in-game emerald shrine area couldn't implement due to limitation, but I definitely do see what you're talking about. 

Looking at it now, I think that little emerald shrine island threw me off, since that does have a bridge connecting to the mountain side and it wouldn't be floating since there's no Master Emerald on it haha. But I always figured that since in Sonic 3&K, where Eggman wrecked Angel Island like non other, like building his launch base there and straight up leaving a giant opening through the Hidden Palace / emerald shrine's ceiling with his Death Egg, that he had sectioned off parts of Angel Island which gave me reason to think why the shrine was outside this time around in SA, why everything was so broken up and different compared to Tikal's past version of the island, and during the gap between Sonic 3&K - SA, why there were apparently people in Ice Cap and why there're minecarts leading to the "Lost World Jungle".

• Thumbs Up 1