Awoo.

Sonic Forces 2: A possible Sequel (Game Idea)

GuardianJohnITA

Sonic Forces, a game that was not like we expected when it was first announced with Sonic Mania and SEGA didn't put much effort on that game although, if with much more effort and with the perspective of any possibility, it has the potential for a possible and better sequel that will deserve the name of Sonic Forces 2; but what we need for a possible and most successful sequel of Sonic Forces? Here are some features I would like to see on Sonic Forces 2:

-A new, bad and truly evil main antagonist: Infinite surely confirmed to be a true adversary for Sonic and one of the few who has a grudge against Sonic and Shadow and I would like to see him again (we don't exactly know what happened to him after the defeat of Dr. Eggman), but we know that the mad scientist, besides all his evil schemes, he is not truly hated by Sonic and becomes a little bit embarassing to see him defeated time and time again. I would like to see a new adversary for Sonic and company, a guy that even the blue hedgehog will despise (the only ones who Sonic truly hates are the Deadly Six); I would imagine an invader commander of an alien army who doesn't want to conquer Earth like Eggman, but destroy our planet and annihilate its inhabitans and I'm sure that Infinite will show up and join his side (after this is the rule of the mercenary: to work for the highest bidder).

-A grown-up Avatar: Perhaps the only feature that saved the game from being a complete failure, the Avatar is the first chance to make our own OCs to join the action of Sonic and his friends, but on Sonic Forces we were see to the others like a young child, a true rookie on all aspects, but on Sonic Forces 2 some years have passed since the first chapter and our Avatar has grown up and much stronger, allowing a much more deeper customization  of our character and a look that would make him\her cool like Sonic, Shadow, Silver, Blaze and Amy.

-New Wispons and Abilities: the Wispons were quite an interesting feature of SF but there were very few of them considering that there are lot more Color Powers waiting to earn a Wispon and I'm sure that our Avatar has learned some new abilites since the last time we controlled it like the White Boost (on the Final Boss fight we notice that even our hero shows the same power of the two Sonics) and us being able to keep up with Sonic is already no small thing, so who knows.......we might even have the chance to see our Avatar go Super.

-Open World: Sonic Adventures were probably one of the best series of Sonic and on the second chapter we saw elements of exploration so why the heck not? I would love to see a massive world to explore and to choose our own operations without being forced to follow a straight line (f.e. if the resistance give us two missions, we will decide what to do first)

-A more deeper and dark storyline: one thing that the game lacked was an awesome storyline; sure, Eggman have defeated Sonic but his victory lasted only for 3 days and....virtual reality? Come on, there must have been something better than that, SEGA! I would like to see a more epic and dark storyline, XCOM-like, where a new enemy, coming from space, started annihilating both the Resistance and the Eggman forces and began the control of Earth, while in reality the alien commander is planning to destroy our planet from the very beginning and his lieutenants (f.e. Zavok, Evil Chaos, Mephiles and Infinite) control the main regions of the world). With all the hope left, Sonic and our Avatar must rebuild the Resistance, forge new alliances and defeat the new alien menace.

-Return of old faces: it was a shame to don't see Blaze the Cat and Cream the Rabbit to see action on SF, so it would be awesome to see them again on a possible sequel (Blaze would fit perfectly on a apocalyptic war)

-Going with Tactics and Strategies: thanks to a much liberty with the levels, on this game would be cool to have the chance to choose which one of the lieutenants you want to start with; make weak his strongholds, sabotage or raid missions, story missions  and in the end, drive the lieutenants off from their regions with cool boss fights and at the end with a true epic final boss battle with the alien commander.

Do you like this possible SF sequel game idea? Feel free to leave a comment! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Cool ideas (some are kinda dumb such as the Avatar growing up, why not just have a new one?) but I doubt a Forces sequel is gonna happen anytime soon, way too early if you ask me.

And considering most of SSMB here hates Forces, maybe it ain’t a good idea posting your idea here lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

After the poor reception to this game, I doubt Sega will want to make a direct sequel to it, especially with the controversial features and characters you mentioned. Besides, how would tactics and open world gameplay work in a series that is known for speedy point a to b platforming? If they were to make a game like this, they might as well use a completely different ip instead of Sonic.

2 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

I doubt a Forces sequel is gonna happen anytime soon, way too early if you ask me.

I don't think it's happening ever. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I would rather Sega just ignore Forces. At this rate, they’re better off just rebooting the franchise. They refuse to make a proper continuation or spiritual successor to Adventure 2, they keep ignoring continuity, and keep badly portraying each character. Just ignoring the current issues of Sonic, and piling more issues on top are not going to fix this series. They were almost on the right track with Unleashed, Ever since Lost World, they really have lost it.

Sega needs to reintroduce the characters like they did in Sonic Adventure, and give people a reason to like them. I don’t see how anyone who has never played a Sonic game could grow attached with the characters in Forces, when it gives the players nothing to know or like about the characters. If Sonic Forces was my first game, I would likely wonder who the heck Knuckles, Tails, Amy, or the others are, and question what do they do?

Adventure 2 was the first Sonic game I played besides Sonic 1, and the game didn’t need to introduce the characters to me, because it did a good job at giving the characters stuff to do, along with showing their personalities. I was able to understand these characters through their actions and behavior.  

In SA2, I could tell Sonic was a cool and heroic fun seeker, I could tell Knuckles was a tough guy and great treasure hunter, I could tell Tails was a young genius/best friend of Sonic, and I could tell Amy was a girl who tries so hard to get Sonic to respect her, and wanted to prove she can be useful. It was made even better when I eventually played Adventure DX, and got to see how these characters started out, before Adventure 2, and it was great to see the development each character went through, and how well it carried over into Adventure 2.

Forces gave me no vibes to make the characters stand out. Tails was a coward who expected Sonic to handle everything, Knuckles was supposed to be a leader, yet really didn’t do anything, and Amy was just there running a computer. Nothing in the game really gave me any good clues about who these characters are, or why I should care for them, which is a shame. I wanted to care for the characters, because I do know who they are from the past, but the game refused to portray them heroically, and had them upstaged by a boring mute avatar.

• Thumbs Up 9

The only thing that should be brought to future Sonic games from Forces is Sonic's writing and characterization. Scrap everything else. Do something new. And if you're really gonna do another damn boost game, go back and bring stuff forward from Generations, not the steaming pile of garbage that is Forces.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Penny said:

The only thing that should be brought to future Sonic games from Forces is Sonic's writing and characterization.

I would say ditch that as well. A characterization where he takes nothing seriously, seemingly doesn't care at all about his supposed friends and goes on long monologs about 'values and important things', where the happenings of the world and his actions/response to these feel awfully disconnected is not something I think we need.

• Thumbs Up 7

There is no point, and though Forces was fine. What is Forces identity that would be carried to the sequel?

- Avatar is something that shouldn't be repeated every game or it will loose it's charm. Maybe in 10 years Avatar with more options would be cool, but I made my 12 OCs and I don't need more right now.

- Wispons are cool looking, but shallow element. I don't want them to return in same form as in Forces.

- There is no storyline to continue,. Even if Infinite was to return, it doesn't have to be "Forces 2"

And every other element is same as Generations 2.

• Thumbs Up 2

57 minutes ago, Kiah said:

Please never discourage anyone from expressing themselves here at the SSMB. Regardless of overall consensus and provided the rules are followed one should be able to express their thoughts and opinions whether it is widely accepted around here or not.

Ok, I figured I’d let him know since the negative opinion is noticeably bigger here.

But it’s no excuse so my apologies and understood! :)

7 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

Ok, I figured I’d let him know since the negative opinion is noticeably bigger here.

But it’s no excuse so my apologies and understood! :)

True, perhaps you are right but it is possible that my game idea could be perfect for another game of Sonic franchise.......for example a well deserved Sonic Adventure 3.......it's clear to us that Sonic must rely on the shoulder of the fans (Sonic Mania was a success made by fans for the fans and SEGA took advantage of the success by fooling themselfes to create a cool game that it ended like Sonic 06) if we want to see the franchise to live

4 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I would rather Sega just ignore Forces. At this rate, they’re better off just rebooting the franchise. They refuse to make a proper continuation or spiritual successor to Adventure 2, they keep ignoring continuity, and keep badly portraying each character. Just ignoring the current issues of Sonic, and piling more issues on top are not going to fix this series. They were almost on the right track with Unleashed, Ever since Lost World, they really have lost it.

Sega needs to reintroduce the characters like they did in Sonic Adventure, and give people a reason to like them. I don’t see how anyone who has never played a Sonic game could grow attached with the characters in Forces, when it gives the players nothing to know or like about the characters. If Sonic Forces was my first game, I would likely wonder who the heck Knuckles, Tails, Amy, or the others are, and question what do they do?

Adventure 2 was the first Sonic game I played besides Sonic 1, and the game didn’t need to introduce the characters to me, because it did a good job at giving the characters stuff to do, along with showing their personalities. I was able to understand these characters theough their actions and behavior.  

In SA2, I could tell Sonic was a cool and heroic fun seeker, I could tell Knuckles was a tough guy and great treasure hunter, I could tell Tails was a young genius/best friend of Sonic, and I could tell Amy was a girl who tries so hard to get Sonic to respect her, and wanted to prove she can be useful. It was made even better when I eventually played Adventure DX, and got to see how these characters started out, before Adventure 2, and it was great to see the development each character went through, and how well it carried over into Adventure 2.

Forces gave me no vibes to make the characters stand out. Tails was a coward who expected Sonic to handle everything, Knuckles was supposed to be a leader, yet really didn’t do anything, and Amy was just there running a computer. Nothing in the game really gave me any good clues about who these characters are, or why I should care for them, which is a shame. I wanted to care for the characters, because I do know who they are from the past, but the game refused to portray them heroically, and had them upstaged by a boring mute avatar.

True, from Lost World it has been the first disaster for SEGA (the only character worthy of praise on that game is Zavok). Sonic Adventure was truly the most well received game of the series and I think that the fans should think about a Sonic Adventure 3, but also this game should take some elements from other games:

-The return of an old enemy and memories: We don't know the fate of one bad guy, who made quite a scene to us fans and who was also the cause of the creation of Shadow; that's right, I'm talking about Black Doom and his Black Arms, probably seeking revenge against Shadow and the rest of his allies. He is a despicable being and I would love to see him again and this time, defeated once and for all, not to mention Mecha Sonic, a true character from Sonic Adventure (I assume, like the rest of the fans, that he is the unnamed Sonic robot) who I like to return; Omega never heard of the terrible fate of Gamma, his predecessor, and I like the idea to see what the Ultimate Robot will understand from the sacrifice of Gamma; and what about Silver? it will be complicated to add him inside the storyline of Sonic Adventure but he is a strong character like Shadow and Sonic.

-Sonic Generations: it was a great success that showed worlds from different games, including from Sonic Adventure 2; worlds......that's key word for a possible Sonic Adventure 3; on Generations it was ''time'', while on Sonic Adventure 3 should be ''space''; take it for example LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2's Chronopolis, a large city with ''parts'' coming from different dimensions, so I think that this possible Sonic game should be called Sonic Adventure 3: Shattered Dimensions.

-Sonic 06: it's true that this game wasn't well received because of its low-polished aspects, glitches and bad camera angles but there was an element that caught my interest: role-play elements; it was quite a surprise back then and perhaps the only thing worthy of praise on that game.

-Sonic Adventure: of course, it shouldn't be a Sonic Adventure 3 without elements from his first predecessor and the most important of all is the large choice of characters, as well a great storyline and, like you said, to see their actions and their behavior.

Mute Avatar? Yep this was a lot frustrating for us to see our character mute on Forces, but I would love to see the chance to create our own Avatar with deeper customization, like background profile and personality, who comes from the original world of Sonic Adventure and, for heaven's sake SEGA, make him\her talk......

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

- Avatar is something that shouldn't be repeated every game or it will loose it's charm. Maybe in 10 years Avatar with more options would be cool, but I made my 12 OCs and I don't need more right now.

10 years? Aren't you going a little too far? XD A thing that made the Sonic community so popular is our own OCs and the chance to see them fight alongside our dear heroes is too great to be ignored.....sure but with much more effort of SEGA, considering that the role of our Avatar on Forces is....kinda out of place....

35 minutes ago, GuardianJohnITA said:

10 years? Aren't you going a little too far? XD A thing that made the Sonic community so popular is our own OCs and the chance to see them fight alongside our dear heroes is too great to be ignored.....sure but with much more effort of SEGA, considering that the role of our Avatar on Forces is....kinda out of place....

IDK, making new guys every 2-3 years seems to me like a perfect way to make to make us hate OCs all over again. Especially if they'll force them into a plot again.

Plus that way Sonic Forces will keep it's one selling point for a while

9 hours ago, ShroomZed said:

I don't think it's happening ever. 

I still believe SEGA/Sonic Team is gonna attempt this OC thing again sooner or later, either in a direct sequel or a new title.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tarnish said:

I still believe SEGA/Sonic Team is gonna attempt this OC thing again sooner or later, either in a direct sequel or a new title.

There might be a chance for a Sonic Adventure 3 (that I like to nickname Shattered Dimensions), considering that Sonic Forces is a goodbye to Classic Sonic, and I approve the Avatar customization, perhaps even a more deep one, like background profiles and personalities, and, for heaven's sake SEGA, make him\her talk, because a silent character on Sonic games never works....

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing I'd like to see in a supposedly good Sonic Forces sequel would be the premiss that Eggman took over the world. I mean, it's a pretty big deal for a amazing storyline, but Forces still gave us a mediocre thing. That was the most disappointing thing for me.

huh... maybe adding Tails, Knuckles and Amy as playable. characters.

Oh, I don't like the ideas of a lot of returning characters (aside from the main cast), like Gamma or Black Doom, since the new generation of kids never played the games which these characters appeared and probably they would feel absolutely lost in the main storyline.

Like, kids today probably won't even know that Silver is from the future, since Forces don't even bothered to mention it.

If a Forces 2 would come to be real, I'd ask for a more concise story about EGGMAN TOOKING OVER THE WORLD.

Sonic, Amy, Tails, Knuckles VS Eggman

That's it

just

E G G M A N

9 hours ago, Tarnish said:

I would say ditch that as well. A characterization where he takes nothing seriously, seemingly doesn't care at all about his supposed friends and goes on long monologs about 'values and important things', where the happenings of the world and his actions/response to these feel awfully disconnected is not something I think we need.

This. Unleashed nearly nailed it IMO. Cocky, but knew when it was time to take things seriously. I'd like Sonic be more like he was back then.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, GuyWithThePie said:

This. Unleashed nearly nailed it IMO. Cocky, but knew when it was time to take things seriously. I'd like Sonic be more like he was back then.

Indeed, that's why SEGA should make Sonic Adventure 3; on every Sonic that received a good review we can find the theme behind the game: on Sonic Adventure is ''fun'', on Sonic Adventure 2 is ''rivalry'', on Sonic Unleashed is ''strength'', on Sonic Generations is ''time'' and on Sonic Colors is ''power'' so I think that the right theme of a possible Sonic Adventure 3 should be ''dimension'', so I would like to call it Sonic Adventure 3: Shattered Dimension.....actually, the name and the game idea seems kinda cool, don't you think?

6 hours ago, GuardianJohnITA said:

Indeed, that's why SEGA should make Sonic Adventure 3; on every Sonic that received a good review we can find the theme behind the game: on Sonic Adventure is ''fun'', on Sonic Adventure 2 is ''rivalry'', on Sonic Unleashed is ''strength'', on Sonic Generations is ''time'' and on Sonic Colors is ''power'' so I think that the right theme of a possible Sonic Adventure 3 should be ''dimension'', so I would like to call it Sonic Adventure 3: Shattered Dimension.....actually, the name and the game idea seems kinda cool, don't you think?

I never want Sega to make "adventure 3", mostly to avoid "Sonic 4 syndrome". But also because I don't want mech shooting or treasure hunting and then I'm not sure we can call it 'adventure' title. Just make a game with "adventure" feel.

Shattered Dimension is a nice name, the problem is that's it's taken by that Spider-man game.

Also, where you got those themes? You made them or was it in some interview. (I mean, I see little difference between strength and power).

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I never want Sega to make "adventure 3", mostly to avoid "Sonic 4 syndrome". But also because I don't want mech shooting or treasure hunting and then I'm not sure we can call it 'adventure' title. Just make a game with "adventure" feel.

Shattered Dimension is a nice name, the problem is that's it's taken by that Spider-man game.

Also, where you got those themes? You made them or was it in some interview. (I mean, I see little difference between strength and power).

Exactly what I think, MetalSkilkBane, it should a game with the ''adventure'' feel; if SEGA have understood his past mistakes then they could have a good game already but since Lost World it has been the start of a disaster; I would say to add some role-play elements like on Sonic 06, but of course well polished elements and various places from different games (this dimensions idea came to me once I saw the Chronopolis of LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2, a huge map with places from different worlds and comics but with a well storyline and excellent story missions).

True, that name comes from Spider-Man, but what else word with ''dimensions'' is cool as ''Shattered Dimensions''?

Not exactly, I came up with those themes because I know that is the true meaning of them, just think of Sonic Forces, Sonic Team said on an interview that the game was on the meaning of ''teamwork'' but I'm not so sure considering that the game doesn't find a true theme (probably because of the short and not detailed storyline).

Strength of Sonic Unleashed comes from the Werehog, who granted new abilities that even the blue hedgehog doesn't have, while the Power of Sonic Colors comes from the different Color Powers, different but that grant one power for one color, and while the Werehog was playable during night times, the Color Powers works on for a limited time.

Well, I find those themes pretty shallow. Quick example, ff Sonic Adventure had any theme it's, well, adventure. Exploring ancient temples, plane fight, running in a tornado, saving the world. That's adventure. "Fun" is the aim of almost every game, but maybe a story about water god destroying civilization and robot dying just after gaining free will is not the walking incarnation of 'fun'. (Arguably it's about Growth as every character who isn't Sonic goes through tiny arc and learns something about himself).

I'm sure every story has some kind of themes, but I seriously doubt most writers start writing by picking overarching motive for the story.  Not in Sonic anyway.

Sonic Unleashed 2, Sonic Colors 2, Sonic Generations 2, Sonic Lost World 2, Sonic Forces 2! Everything gets a sequel even though these games already have a sequel just with a different name!

3 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Sonic Unleashed 2, Sonic Colors 2, Sonic Generations 2, Sonic Lost World 2, Sonic Forces 2! Everything gets a sequel even though these games already have a sequel just with a different name!

Do Lost world have one?

I’m honestly opposed to a Forces sequel. But if it were to happen I’d only want two things

1. Completely original levels. No rehashed ones (ESPECIALLY Green Hill and chemical plant).

2. NO. CLASSIC. SONIC!!!!!! The little fucker was easily the worst part about the game and if you take him out it would barely affect the story. Leave him in his own world and let modern sonic stand on his own.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...

What I think of a sequel?

Sonic Forces: Phantom Gauntlet

*What is it?

Basically Def Jam Fight For New York meets Sonic Battle. I wanted so much for Sonic Battle to have a sequel, mainly to fix their weird not-so-3d sprite movement. The Avatar now replaces Emerl, can now learn some moves from the cast. Will have an Online Multi-player feature, where players pit their Avatars in 1v1, 2v2, Free-For-All or Survival(3v1), (Boss Arena)

*The Story:

Eggman's goons start taking over some towns, installing Area Bosses to consolidate control over a certain area, with an entire hiearchy and army below him. Area Bosses may range from classic villains(Metal Sonic), modern bads(Zavok and his gang), or his legionized cronies from the Archie franchise. The Avatar is called into the story via a recruitment drive the heroes put up. The Avatar has flashbacks about his/her town being overrun by EggRobos, and steps up to meet the recruiting jury, composed of Knuckles, Amy, Espio, and Silver. The Avatar fights Vector in a test match, to learn basic controls. After they are finished, Silver and Amy are impressed, congratulating the player, while Knuckles delivers the good news. He then starts his first fight after. Along the way, there are some events that triggers fights where you play as the cast. Somewhere along the story, a gang of Eggman's elite goons jump the Avatar and subvert him, forcing him/her to fight Sonic Team. The news reaches the cast and most of them are disappointed and feel betrayed . Silver, Cream, and Sonic at seperate times in the story notice something off with the Avatar, and they investigate. Tails finds out that the Avatar had been inserted with a   that triggers at Eggman's command, to put the Avatar on a leash. Sonic and co. hatch a plan to free Avatar from the doctor's grasp, Sonic, Silver, and Knuckles, all volunteering to fight, Tails triggering the EMP to fry the chip inside Avatar, spiriting him/her away. After the Avatar wakes up, he/she apologizes to the team, telling that he got jumped and didn't remember anything after. Shadow lectures him sternly about vigilance, and the player-character vows to do better. The Area Bosses are taken down one by one, prompting Eggman to kidnap one of the cast and call out for Avatar, initiating the final showdown vs Eggman. When Eggman is defeated, Sonic rushes in, simultaneously with Infinite doing the same. Sonic orders everyone to evac the premises, as Infinite  unleashes his Phantom Ruby once more. The two are transported to a Phantom Arena, where Infinite has more power, manipulating the stage against Sonic, using all of the cast's image at random, including the Avatar, granting him a temporary shield, fading out with enough dmg. After Sonic's victory, the facility breaks down, the Phantom Ruby going haywire, swallowing 

*Story Gameplay:

Certain Animal Types(bringing all from Forces and more) have bonuses that aid in battle. The customization options are retained from Forces. Players can equip 4 Fighting Styles in Story and Arcade Mode, only allowing 1 in Multi-player. Fighting Styles can disable some moves from certain characters being learnt. Skills are earned through Skill Points, earned in battle, with a possibility to earn more, depending on how impressive the fight is. Non-Avatar fighters could have some styles and bonuses that the Avatar cannot have.

*Gameplay:

Aside from the Story Mode, Arcade offers all options from Sonic Battle, and includes a Random Option, where a character is selected at random(cannot do it to yourself). Playables now include Silver, Vector, Charmy, Espio, Blaze and Omega(now replaces Gamma.).All who appeared from SB make it back, except Chaos 0. More playable characters would be unlocked as the story goes. Still has 4 players maximum at any one fight.

*Online:

Only the Avatar can enter Multi-player mode, against fellow Avatars. Ranks are seperate per category, and the player can opt out of Ranked Matches at will with a single switch.

Thoughts??

Edited by jgcatindig
adding more info and fixing spelling and grammatical error.