Awoo.

A Hypothetical New Team Rose

RedFox99

Something that's been interesting me is the idea of Sticks being brought over to the main series and replacing Big as the third member of Team Rose. This could create an interesting contract between her and the other girls (especially Cream). Plus, she could another potential foil for Knuckles (though, not where she completely replaces Rouge).

• Thumbs Up 1

That is sorta what I did with the Angels, a better name than Team Rose by the way, and the team includes Blaze too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Big is good enough.

Last thing Team Rose needs is yet another inconsistent 3rd member swap instead of sticking with the original.

If Big can’t be present in certain different media event like the TTT Arc in Archie or the Meterex Saga in X, so be it but there’s no reason why he couldn’t take Vector’s place in Free Riders.

I’d doubt Sticks would hang out with main Amy & Cream, Boom Amy at least somewhat worked to her contrast.

• Thumbs Up 3

Big and Blaze are good power types. Not sure if Sticks fits that type. That said, she could have a variety of weapons in her attacks. 

• Thumbs Up 2

What has Blaze been categorised as previously? She had a type in Sonic Riders Zero Gravity, Sonic Runners and the Mario and Sonic games. Sticks had one in that series too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Much as I prefer Sticks to Big anyday and would love to see her salvaged for the main series, she really doesn't need to be tied down to another Team Rose.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

What has Blaze been categorised as previously? She had a type in Sonic Riders Zero Gravity, Sonic Runners and the Mario and Sonic games. Sticks had one in that series too. 

Not sure about Riders, but in Mario and Sonic, she's an All-Around type.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just looked it up. Blaze was a speed type in Zero Gravity, but switched to power in Sonic Runners. She was also a member of Team Rose there. I guess she could work in any type (maybe using the flames to fly like in the comics). 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm honestly just tired of these three person teams. It's a weird, awkward relic of Heroes' gameplay and it ends up ignoring characters' actual relationships (and sometimes even abilities) just to mash them into this preset pattern.

If Sticks did end up being transplanted into the main series, she certainly could befriend Amy and Cream, but there could be any number of other combinations worth exploring as well. I don't see much benefit in formalizing a "team" with her in it over just having her exist independently and build all sorts of relationships with all sorts of characters. Especially since she's kind of a weird paranoid loner anyway.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 hours ago, Super Mechanio said:

Ehh, I'm not wild about the idea.

Big's one of the few post-1998 Sonic characters I actually like. He's just a genuinely upbeat, good-natured guy who lives life at this own pace and doesn't feel like a corporate focus-grouped attempt to appear "edgy and cool" like certain other modern Sonic characters. I think his friendship with Amy and Cream could be interesting, if they'd ever actually have the characters meaningfully interact again. Either way, I like the big guy and don't want to see him pushed out.

I'm also not really a big fan of Sticks. As much as I love Sonic Boom, especially for its hilarious take on Dr. Eggman, I always found Sticks in particular grating rather than funny. She also doesn't exist in the mainline continuity. ...though with Sonic Team's track record of storytelling, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they just put her in a game and had the other characters already be familiar with her without so much as an introduction.

So two issues, no one likes big so much show he somehow shows up less than everyone else.And they can just say a version of sticks existed in this continuity the entire time and like amy knew her but she never came up. 

Done

5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

So two issues, no one likes big

You're new here, aren'tcha?

Big is beloved in this community.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

You're new here, aren'tcha?

Big is beloved in this community.

Eh, yeah. 

No one likes big. Big the cat is a meme, among sonic fans, that doesn't mean he's liked, and it especially doesn't mean that the general community of games who also might enjoy sonic games like big. For most people they associate him with two bad things, not being cool at all  and the fishing sections of sa1. 

Big is a meme character, that doesn't mean he's popular. Never confuse that. Its like paste pot pete, no one actually likes paste pot pete some nerds like paste pot pete because he's a dumb relic of a sillier time of comic book characters that never was adapted over. He is a meme for a very specific small minute group of people , but no one else gives a shit. They wanna see a cool character do a cool thing.

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

I like Big. He's a chill dude who just wants to fish with his buddy. And I like the idea of a "normal" guy unconcerned with heroism or the fate of the world getting caught up in events far bigger than the scope of his life and just sort of bumbling through to victory.

I also like big

No one likes big. He's a meme character most people don't care for. I've learned that sometimes my opinion isn't the most popular one, like me learning that apparently a bunch of people hate cream. Don't know why, but they do. 

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

He's honestly got a more interesting story than half the characters in this series.

Different strokes, but a lot of the audience especially in the introductory phases tend to gravitate towards the " cooler characters" rather than the sillier ones. Like I think metal sonic is dumb as shit, but I get it. People think the "cooler characters" are more interesting than the less cool or sillier ones. 

15 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Different strokes, but a lot of the audience especially in the introductory phases tend to gravitate towards the " cooler characters" rather than the sillier ones. Like I think metal sonic is dumb as shit, but I get it. People think the "cooler characters" are more interesting than the less cool or sillier ones. 

"Cool" is subjective though.

What one person considers cool, another person might consider hokey and juvenile. There's really no objective list of "cool Sonic characters."

In my personal opinion, the fact that Big is so chillaxed and doesn't let life get him down is what makes him such a cool dude. No irony, no memes, complete sincerity here - I think Big's a cool guy because nothing about him is constantly trying to be cool. He lives life at his own pace and does whatever makes him happy. And to me, it's hard to get much more cool than that.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't necessarily think Big should be kicked out of the series entirely, but I never liked him as a part of Team Rose, he felt so out of place. Blaze or Sticks would make a much better third addition to Amy's team, compared to Big, or even Vector the Crocodile (nothing against Vector, but he already has his own team.) I even made a short comic a few years back that poked fun of how strange it is for Big to be a part of Amy's team. 

Eggman's Big Team Rose Messup in Color

10 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

[comic]

I mean, the game never said that Amy's team was supposed to be a "girls' team." It has a female leader, but it's still just a team like any other. I don't think Amy or Cream really care about the gender of their teammates or friends, either way - especially considering how well the three of them get along in Heroes, which is one of the upsides of all that in-level dialogue the game has.

• Thumbs Up 6

12 hours ago, Super Mechanio said:

I mean, the game never said that Amy's team was supposed to be a "girls' team." It has a female leader, but it's still just a team like any other. I don't think Amy or Cream really care about the gender of their teammates or friends, either way - especially considering how well the three of them get along in Heroes, which is one of the upsides of all that in-level dialogue the game has.

Even if not, it still felt strange to see Big with Amy and Cream out of nowhere. I'll even admit it was a bit strange to see Cream in there, because the only other game Cream was in before Heroes was Advance 2, yet it never acknowledged how Cream and Amy were best friends. (Amy wasn't even a part of that game's story, and was only unlockable through a ridiculous requirement. ) Despite no history, Cream still worked pretty well as a sidekick for Amy, but Big felt very out of place.

The game didn't give Team Rose the best introduction either. Take Team Dark for example, it did a much better job at introducing these characters, and it shows how they became a team. We see how they started out rough, until Rouge points out how they're all after the same thing. Team Rose didn't bother showing how Amy met Cream or Big. It just shows that they're moping around about Froggy and Chocola missing, while being fooled into thinking Sonic might have taken them. The game did a terrible job at explaining their conflict, when I first played the game  13 years ago, I missed out on a lot of those details at the beginning, because they go by so quickly without detail. I honestly had no idea what was going on at the time.

The rest of the game just didn't give me an understanding as to why Amy was looking for Sonic, besides being in love with him. Yet when she finds him, she suddenly wants to beat the crap out of him. It got even stranger, when I unlocked the final episode, and heard Amy say "You're the one pretending to be Sonic, you're the one responsible for taking Froggy and Chocola." I remember thinking "where did this come from?" Yes, I am now aware that the beginning of Team Rose's story mode shows Amy looking through a newspaper with Metal Sonic disguised as Sonic running away with Froggy and Chocola, but I missed that detail as a kid, because they barely showed it, and didn't bother explaining things. They didn't have Cream say something like "I can't believe Sonic took Chocola and Froggy, only for Amy to claim Sonic wouldn't do such a thing. They made it obvious that Froggy and Chocola were missing, but I missed the detail that they thought Sonic was responsible for taking them. All we hear is Amy saying "I wonder where Sonic is?" That's not the best way of acknowledging that they think Sonic took Froggy and Chocola. 

Sorry, got a little sidetracked, but the point is, Team Rose was one of the most underwhelming parts of Sonic Heroes, which is a shame. I personally liked Amy and Cream, but Big felt too out of place, and it didn't help that Team Rose's story mode was the most underwhelming part of the game. Their narrative felt more rushed and unclear, compared to the rest of the game's story, and it didn't help that their levels were too short and easy as well. I wanted to like Team Rose in Sonic Heroes, but it really wasn't given as much thought as the other teams. They had no problem with making up a third member for Shadow and Rouge's team, and managed to make it work, yet I don't think Sega tried hard enough to give Amy and Cream a fitting third member for their team. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

+1 "I like Big for his non-heroic qualities in Sonic Adventure's story" here.  Yeah he has a big meme culture about him but he was beloved long before the current style of Sonic social media.

Having said that I really don't care for him as part of Team Rose.  He did feel shoehorned in as "we need a power character for Amy's team" due to the way the game was set-up, and I found the sudden announcement that Big was friends with them to be weird and forced, considering SA1 very much established him as having no interest in befriending Sonic and co. during the Chaos escapade, and just far more interested in getting back to his normal, secluded life in the jungle.

...How he turns up in Station Square to retrieve an emerald, understanding the full situation of the game's finale, is best ignored lol.

But yeah, if Sticks shows up, I don't really care about the whole "team" thing.  It also just comes off as awkward to suggest this idea that Amy's immediate circle of friends should all be girls because she's a girly girl etc.  Hell, for Unleashed, where Knuckles stayed on his dang island for once, I rather grew to like the idea of Sonic's immediate support being her and Tails rather than Knuckles and Tails.  It makes a lot more sense in terms of character priorities.

• Thumbs Up 8

5 hours ago, Super Mechanio said:

"Cool" is subjective though.

Yeah it is. 

But when we are talking about how general audiences react to stuff in this franchise. Cool is, Sonic, shadow, blaze, knuckles, that sort of things, then you have cuter characters that also get a pretty good reaction depending on how they are portrayed.  Big doesn't fall under either of those

5 hours ago, Diogenes said:

As2OZS5.jpg

I'm a single guy in a minority of people who like this meme character, in the larger picture I'm not nothing worth catering to. 

Me saying " no one likes big " doesn't mean literally no one likes big . 

I'd say Big goes beyond just being silly. And you can't build an entire series solely out of "cool" characters;

eh.........................I have NO idea about that. 

characters like Big are an important part of creating a diverse and believable world. I'd argue he's worth keeping around even if he's never going to be near the top of the popularity polls.

Oh I think sillier characters are important. However, doesn't mean the silly character is good or liked.. or effective or worth keeping around. They could get a more effective sillier character that people actually like. Sticks is silly, people like sti...

Plus this is a thread about replacing him with Sticks and I don't think she exactly qualifies as "cool" anyway.

Oh well you finished my sentence. People like sticks, she's silly. She isn't as popular as the other " cool characters" but she's liked and is pretty effective at being silly with out being this lumbering dumb guy who doesn't really contribute anything to anyone and has an almost sociopathic  view of how much he needs to fish. I don't mind and like sillier characters, they break the flow. They shouldn't be important all the time, but they need to exist. But just because they do, and they are different than other characters doesn't mean they are effective or good. Big isn't the only one I would put in this category, I would also say boom knuckles is a bad one ( but that's another discussion),I would argue charmy is much lower on that totem pole as big. Because when push comes to shove a much of a nothing wierdo ass character he is, he has actual utility that a lot of other characters don't have. Charmy can fly kinda...so you know at leats big isn't charmy. 

But if you told me big was going , I wouldn't care. I like the character because he's a bad character and that makes specifically me laugh, but to most audiences he's this weirdo who talks slow because " big guys are dumb " ( that's still totally funny ) and doesn't really contribute much. Not even to the world either, he just kind of exists. 

On that same token, I don't think big should go. But like, hell yeah replace him on the team. Just say amy is super strong and her hammer weighs a bunch. Bam. Heck Shadow already has super strength, maybe some hedgehogs have super strength. Put sticks on the squad, there you go. 

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

and has an almost sociopathic  view of how much he needs to fish.

That's a bit of an exaggeration don't you think?

Didn't think think could spark such discussion. Anyways, what are your guy's ideal Team Rose?