Awoo.

A Hypothetical New Team Rose

RedFox99

18 hours ago, Aquaslash said:

If they do another wave of 5, it needs to be Big, Cream, Blaze, Sticks, and Infinite. We'll be lucky to get any of those but I can dream!

This. Except replace Infinite with Jackal Leader.

Or Marine, either way.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Personally I find those 3-people team dumb since it's forces guys into awkward categories. Still, it's something I can live with.

With that said, Sticks might be better member for team with Silver and Blaze. "The Dimensions" or something like that. (I know, Marine exists. But she's so minor in comparison it feels like "Shadow;Silver;Charmy" team).

If we instinct on girl member, then Blaze is a better choice. Team Rose suggest targeting 'girly girls' demographic and cat princess seems like a better fit than crazy savage. I know, it's not perfect logic, but so is insisting on girl-only team.

But at the end of a day if we insist on putting everyone into teams, then Big must be somewhere. So until Sega makes Small the Dog baker and Medium the Mouse mailman, we're stuck with what we have. It's not perfect, but not terrible situation.

I personally really can not see Sticks fitting in any group, really. She is just a way to one-dimensional written character. She has no connection to anybody besides Amy, and also their relationship only comes up in very few episodes of the show. She has really nothing going one for her. Sticks is just a returning running gag and nothing more. Believe it or not, but the only other Sonic character that comes very close to her in personality would be Zazz from the Deadly Six, because their bot crazy. Even though Sticks is whacky crazy in a more likable, comedic way, Zazz on the other hand is more like a mentally ill sociopath.    

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, Swing said:

I personally really can not see Sticks fitting in any group, really. She is just a way to one-dimensional written character. She has no connection to anybody besides Amy, and also their relationship only comes up in very few episodes of the show. She has really nothing going one for her. Sticks is just a returning running gag and nothing more. Believe it or not, but the only other Sonic character that comes very close to her in personality would be Zazz from the Deadly Six, because their bot crazy. Even though Sticks is whacky crazy in a more likable, comedic way, Zazz on the other hand is more like a mentally ill sociopath.    

Umm, and many 'dimensions' has Big? Or connection to Amy and Cream?

Besides, isn't Sticks already part of the group? You know the the Boom Sonic team?

6 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Umm, and many 'dimensions' has Big? Or connection to Amy and Cream?

Besides, isn't Sticks already part of the group? You know the the Boom Sonic team?

Almost all Sonic characters are pretty much one dimensional and flat with horrible written stories.  The only exceptions of Sonic, Eggman, Chip and Merlina and the last two were one-time-characters. Sticks is no way better or worst than Big or Blaze or Rouge, she is just as bad as all of the other characters. 

35 minutes ago, Swing said:

Almost all Sonic characters are pretty much one dimensional and flat with horrible written stories.  The only exceptions of Sonic, Eggman, Chip and Merlina and the last two were one-time-characters. Sticks is no way better or worst than Big or Blaze or Rouge, she is just as bad as all of the other characters. 

Shesh, I'm surprised you're even on this page (no judging, just confused)

Definition of 'complex' character vary, but I think Sonic characters can be seen as having some depth, at least if you're willing to read into things.

Isn't Blaze a combination of Elsa and Twilight Sparkle, years before any of them was created?

What about Shadow? Okay, maybe you don't think Sa2 had depth. But did you played Sonic Battle? The game where Shadow angsts about being living weapon and questions his place in this world.

Tails and Amy went trough little 'growing up' arcs in Adventure 1, even if whenever it stick is questionable. And does Gamma doesn't count?

And then there is Metal Sonic. Now, what I'm going to say is waaay reading into things. but I think he's on the verge on insanity. How does he live, looking like person he hates the most? Knowing that he's just a fake, a copy? From his dialogue in Sonic Heroes I think he convinced himself that Sonic is the copy and if he beats him, he will prove it and justify his own existence. But he keeps loosing and deep down he knows he's the copy and that's why he's so angry all the time.

Maybe all I listed here doesn't count, maybe it's fanboy wanting to take his franchise seriously. But if so I wonder what you perceive as having 'depth'. For example, what's so great about Chip?

23 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

But at the end of a day if we insist on putting everyone into teams, then Big must be somewhere. So until Sega makes Small the Dog baker and Medium the Mouse mailman, we're stuck with what we have. It's not perfect, but not terrible situation.

Hilariously enough, my brother and I actually did have characters with those names backin the day, though I don't remember if Medium was a mouse or not.

20 hours ago, Swing said:

To be fair, Sonic Boom isn't exactly a series known for it's deep storylines and complex characters and it seldom tries to be that.

The only characters who really have any notable roundedness to them are Amy and Eggman and that's because they are both game characters and the most expressive/extentuating among the cast. Its other characters tend to be one note(most of them), have barely any real note to begin with(Perci, Mike, Zooey), or generally two dimensional due to fairly static/inconsistent portrayals(Sonic, Knuckles?, Lyric,  Sticks, Fink, Dave, Chief, Charlie, Belnda, Vector).

10 hours ago, Swing said:

Not gonna lie, the juxtaposition of you saying both of these things confused me for a minute.

9 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Definition of 'complex' character vary, but I think Sonic characters can be seen as having some depth, at least if you're willing to read into things.

Isn't Blaze a combination of Elsa and Twilight Sparkle, years before any of them was created?

Maybe all I listed here doesn't count, maybe it's fanboy wanting to take his franchise seriously. But if so I wonder what you perceive as having 'depth'. For example, what's so great about Chip?

Agreed.

Actually, Elsa technically existed for years since Frozen was apparently in development for decades. However, the characterization she ended with is indeed most likely recent compared to Blaze.

I want to answer this, but I don't really know or at least think much about Chip to really answer.

• Thumbs Up 1

The three-member structure somewhat doesn't work with this team, and Big should have never been there, even if I loved their chemistry in Heroes, but he just doesn't fit. A hypothetical new Team Rose should stay the same, however, because I don't see any other character taking Big's place. I haven't seen anything, not even a tiny reference that indicates this group still exists either. Amy appears to have joined the main trio (in a few games filling the place Knuckles has), and Cream and Big don't even appear anymore, not even in cameos. Compare their situation to Team Sonic, Chaotix, or Dark, where they are still shown working together in some way. To put an example, in Forces you see them all, except for Team Rose. Even in the Runners spinoffs they are not even in the same team, so...

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree with what some folk in this thread have been saying, the whole "team" format feels like artificially boxing the characters into types for arbitrary reasons.

Two reasons for this

By defining one overarching trait, and then lumping a bunch of characters into that group creates a feeling of "sameness" when the reality is, if you look at various characters, their skillset is not so easily defined.

Secondly, it encourages keeping characters within their established teams, limiting what each character can do on their own and discouraging interesting/unique partnering.

• Thumbs Up 3

32 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Cream's absence from Sonic Forces was easily the most conspicious.

Honestly, it can be sad seeing her be underused.

Maybe little girl just didn't fit the tone they were aiming for (in theory anyway). She wasn't in 06 and smallest role in Shadow the Game.

(I know, Charmy exists. But putting 2/3 of Chaotix would be odd. Cream feels more ' civilian' than him.)

I can think of few reasons why Sega didn't put Blaze

1 Because Knuckles must be a leader, maybe princes would make it weird.

2 Shadow, Sonic, and Omega are missing at the start of the game, Silver is beaten by Infinite. Maybe they didn't want another way powerful character around.

3 Maybe for once they logically said Blaze has no business to be here. You know, being from Sol DImension and stuff. I know, Colors/Generations/ etc. But this game was (again, in theory) supposed to have a more grounded story.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Almar said:

I'd chalk  it up to an oversight. Blaze wasn't there either.

I know. It's just kinda weird how Cream was once considered part of the major recurring cast and yet she's the only one not to show up in any form, despite the presence of the rabbit NPCs and having a fully operable model from Generations.

Blaze at least has the excuse of being in another dimension in another story that barely acknowledges Chaos energy and I'm honestly fine with Big not being there given he wasn't considered a major character to begin with.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Maybe little girl just didn't fit the tone they were aiming for (in theory anyway). She wasn't in 06 and smallest role in Shadow the Game.

(I know, Charmy exists. But putting 2/3 of Chaotix would be odd. Cream feels more ' civilian' than him.)

I can think of few reasons why Sega didn't put Blaze

1 Because Knuckles must be a leader, maybe princes would make it weird.

2 Shadow, Sonic, and Omega are missing at the start of the game, Silver is beaten by Infinite. Maybe they didn't want another way powerful character around.

3 Maybe for once they logically said Blaze has no business to be here. You know, being from Sol DImension and stuff. I know, Colors/Generations/ etc. But this game was (again, in theory) supposed to have a more grounded story.

Eh, true enough. Although, I recall reading somewhere that she was supposed to be in Silver's Story at one point. Is there any actual evidence to that effect?

In my opinion there are a few main teams...

Team Sonic (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles)

Team Rose (Amy, Big, Cream)

Team Dark (Rouge, Shadow, Omega)

Team Future (Silver, Blaze, and maybe Amy???)

Team Hooligan (Bark, Bean, Fang)

maybe Team Spinoff? (Marine, Mighty, Ray?)

• Thumbs Up 2