Awoo.

Would you buy a Sega Mega Drive/Genesis "Mini"?

molul

Been talking about this with some friends, and I'm a bit surprised that many people consider that a Mega Drive Mini wouldn't be as successful as the NES or SNES Mini. I can help but wonder why, as back in the 90's both consoles sold more or less the same, therefore the target audience (30 to 45 years old people who owned a Mega Drive) should be similar. 

I wouldn't and won't buy the AtGames Genesis Flashback as I consider it a flawed product (better than previous versions, but still bad). I've bought the SNES Mini and it's almost perfect. The only imperfection is the games selection, which you can easily fix if you hack the console. A Sega Mega Drive Mini with 20 games and the possibility of adding more games, would simply be a dream come true.

So there goes the question: would you be interested in a retro plug n play Mega Drive mini (if it was as well done as the SNES Mini, I mean)?

• Nice Smile 1

No.

Well, firstly because It's almost sure that would not be sold here in Brazil, or if, by a very expansive price. And I also don't see many reasons to buy when you could have a full collection of Free Games at my Cellphone with SEGA Forever. Even for other titles, SEGA have a lot of collections for many consoles, so it would be just you pay for one of those collections and play it.

This without talking about emulators and raspberry pi, which almost made Genesis playable in any old piece of electronic.

Personally speaking, probably not. I already own 6 Mega Drives, and I don't particularly need another.

That being said, I think it'd be a great idea - from what I've heard, the AtGames consoles actually do really well despite how shoddy they are, so a proper version with a good amount of love and care put into it would be great. Even bearing in mind emulators and Raspberry Pi and the like, that didn't stop the NES and SNES Minis selling millions. The CEO of Treasure (Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy) also stated he'd like to see one recently, and having their titles on board would be practically worth it alone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Solister said:

And I also don't see many reasons to buy when you could have a full collection of Free Games at my Cellphone with SEGA Forever. Even for other titles, SEGA have a lot of collections for many consoles, so it would be just you pay for one of those collections and play it.

This without talking about emulators and raspberry pi, which almost made Genesis playable in any old piece of electronic.

I see your point. The reasons, in your case would be:

• Not having ads (because if you're playing Sega Forever for free, you're seeing ads).
  • Playing in your TV (you're currently playing in a phone). 
  • Play with a perfect Mega Drive 6 buttons controller replica (wether you play on your phone or in a console).
  • Not having to configure anything (the Raspberry Pi needs some hours to get it working).

If these are not enough for you it's ok, but the console would give you a few things you don't have yet :) (another issue is wether you're interested on it).

51 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Personally speaking, probably not. I already own 6 Mega Drives, and I don't particularly need another.

That being said, I think it'd be a great idea - from what I've heard, the AtGames consoles actually do really well despite how shoddy they are, so a proper version with a good amount of love and care put into it would be great. Even bearing in mind emulators and Raspberry Pi and the like, that didn't stop the NES and SNES Minis selling millions. 

Lol, 6 Mega Drives XD I have only one, but can't plug it to my TV.

The AtGames console is much better than previous iterations, but emulation is far from perfect, which is difficult to understand. The main issue is the framerate and sound problems (sound is almost perfect but still a bit distorted), but there are many other things to fix: the shovelware, the terrible menu, the ability to hack it (yes, this is not an actual feature XD), the controllers with AA batteries with a screw to access them... If someone hacked it to install Retroarch and add my own roms (and remove those I don't want to see), I'd buy it right now even when I think it's quite expensive.

Yes, the NES and SNES Mini sold a lot because unlike the Raspberry, you don't need to do anything but turn it on, and also you get to play with the original gamepads. I don't feel the same playing Dynamite Headdy with an XBox 360 Controller, honestly. And 8bitdo is still not willing to make Mega Drive 6 button pads.

51 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

The CEO of Treasure (Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy) also stated he'd like to see one recently, and having their titles on board would be practically worth it alone. 

Could you please post a link of Mr Masato Maegawa's statement? I admire him & Treasure so much :) I contacted Nazo^2 Suzuki a few months ago and he said Treasure shut down. Such a shame :(

[EDIT] Nevermind. Found it: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/10/treasures_masato_maegawa_wants_sega_to_make_a_mega_drive_mini

I have an X'Eye and a Mega Everdrive, so no; but Sega has been making officially licenced shitty Gennys for far too long for it to have any market impact equivalent to Nintendo.  Sega jumped on the bandwagon all the way back when the Atari Flashback came out, so anyone who wanted one probably would have bought one by now.

• Thumbs Up 2

If it is like those AtGames things then no. If it a well done emulation job, then maybe if the price is right however it is unlikely.

The problem being is strangely outside of PC/unofficial emulation, the emulation of the system hasn't been really good enough and at best its okay. Sega's own emulators that they used show its problems from the sound to graphical glitches/layering problems/saving issues to non-working games, their own documentation is known for having mistakes that even affect games that were released on the console. Even the almighty M2 have problems regarding Mega Drive emulation, usually its YM2612 sound chip. There would have to be an incentive to buy the thing considering unlike the NES/SNES minis, the AtGames/Tec Toy Flashback machines already put some well regarded games on those from the usual Sonic, Streets of Rage [in the past], Shinobi 3 to even Phantasy Star IV! It would have to go deeper into its library for someone outside of the casual market to buy it. SNES Mini for example has Star Fox 2 so maybe something like Virtua Racing aka the one game that has problems on emulation/some hardware due to the SVP chip* and unreleased games such as The Stickman is Back if they still exist since Sega was known for not always keeping their stuff. The Treasure games might be one to some, similar thing to Thunder Force IV.

* - Some hardware being the Genesis 3 and some MD hardware level clones. Virtua Racing Deluxe on the 32X is a better version of the game however Sega rarely references the add-on and don't think that they emulated those. It would be novel to make a mini 32X and a mini Mega CD that you can plug into and unlocks extra games such as Sonic CD.

A Saturn mini or a Dreamcast mini might be more desirable thinking about it and I would actually buy both. The machines while are less known than the Mega Drive do have a cult following that would happily buy either with a good library. For the Saturn they could have Sonic Jam/3D, Sonic R, NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Daytona Circuit Edition or Sega Rally, Fighters Megamix and Panzer Dragoon Saga while the Dreamcast could have Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio and its numerous arcade ports, if Capcom teams up even better. Panzer Dragoon Saga is alone a big incentive to buy a Saturn mini and probably would sell out its shipment, same thing for Shenmue for the Dreamcast mini. The problem being is that will a small device be powerful enough to emulate both in the future?

• Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, Somethinghedgehog said:

If it  was made by sega and had the best genesis games on it I would more than likely buy it.

I wouldn't actually mind about the games selection if it was hackable like the SNES Mini. Also, "the best Genesis games" is a really subjective thing. One thing I'm sure: it would be much more difficult to select the games than in SNES Mini. To me, these should be included:

Spoiler

1. Aladdin
  2. Alien Soldier
  3. Columns
  4. Comix Zone
  5. Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  6. Dynamite Headdy
  7. Earthworm Jim
  8. Earthworm Jim 2
  9. FIFA 95
  10. Golden Axe
  11. Gunstar Heroes
  12. Mega Bomberman
  13. Mickey Mania
  14. NBA Jam
  15. Out Run
  16. Revenge of Shinobi
  17. Ristar
  18. Rocketknight Adventures
  19. Samurai Shodown
  20. Shinobi III
  21. Soleil
  22. Sonic 1
  23. Sonic 2
  24. Sonic 3
  25. Sonic & Knuckles
  26. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  27. Sonic 2 & Knuckles
  28. Sonic Spinball
  29. Sonic 3D Blast
  30. Story of Thor (Beyond oasis)
  31. Streets of rage 1
  32. Streets of rage 2
  33. Streets of rage 3
  34. Super Street FIghter II
  35. Tiny Toons Buster's hidden treasure
  36. Virtua Racing

This would cover platformers, RPG, sports, puzzles, action, racing, fighting, beat'em up... Well, I'm not a shoot'em-ups fan, and many sports are not there. Vectorman 1 and 2 is missing as well (not a fan as well). And there are some other RPGs I didn't include due to not having played them. That list would be my personal favourites list. A more realistic list would be:

Spoiler

1. Columns
  2. Comix Zone
  3. Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  4. Dynamite Headdy
  5. Golden Axe
  6. Gunstar Heroes
  7. Out Run
  8. Revenge of Shinobi
  9. Ristar
  10. Shinobi III
  11. Soleil
  12. Sonic 1
  13. Sonic 2
  14. Sonic 3
  15. Sonic & Knuckles
  16. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  17. Sonic 2 & Knuckles
  18. Sonic Spinball
  19. Sonic 3D Blast
  20. Story of Thor (Beyond oasis)
  21. Streets of rage 1
  22. Streets of rage 2
  23. Streets of rage 3
  24. Virtua Racing

Because I doubt Capcom, Konami or Disney would let Sega use their games. Not a problem if the console was as hackable as the SNES Mini, of course :)

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, molul said:

I wouldn't actually mind about the games selection if it was hackable like the SNES Mini. Also, "the best Genesis games" is a really subjective thing. One thing I'm sure: it would be much more difficult to select the games than in SNES Mini. To me, these should be included:

1.   Reveal hidden contents

1. Aladdin
    2. Alien Soldier
    3. Columns
    4. Comix Zone
    5. Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    6. Dynamite Headdy
    7. Earthworm Jim
    8. Earthworm Jim 2
    9. FIFA 95
    10. Golden Axe
    11. Gunstar Heroes
    12. Mega Bomberman
    13. Mickey Mania
    14. NBA Jam
    15. Out Run
    16. Revenge of Shinobi
    17. Ristar
    18. Rocketknight Adventures
    19. Samurai Shodown
    20. Shinobi III
    21. Soleil
    22. Sonic 1
    23. Sonic 2
    24. Sonic 3
    25. Sonic & Knuckles
    26. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    27. Sonic 2 & Knuckles
    28. Sonic Spinball
    29. Sonic 3D Blast
    30. Story of Thor (Beyond oasis)
    31. Streets of rage 1
    32. Streets of rage 2
    33. Streets of rage 3
    34. Super Street FIghter II
    35. Tiny Toons Buster's hidden treasure
    36. Virtua Racing

This would cover platformers, RPG, sports, puzzles, action, racing, fighting, beat'em up... Well, I'm not a shoot'em-ups fan, and many sports are not there. Vectorman 1 and 2 is missing as well (not a fan as well). And there are some other RPGs I didn't include due to not having played them. That list would be my personal favourites list. A more realistic list would be:

1.   Reveal hidden contents

1. Columns
    2. Comix Zone
    3. Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    4. Dynamite Headdy
    5. Golden Axe
    6. Gunstar Heroes
    7. Out Run
    8. Revenge of Shinobi
    9. Ristar
    10. Shinobi III
    11. Soleil
    12. Sonic 1
    13. Sonic 2
    14. Sonic 3
    15. Sonic & Knuckles
    16. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    17. Sonic 2 & Knuckles
    18. Sonic Spinball
    19. Sonic 3D Blast
    20. Story of Thor (Beyond oasis)
    21. Streets of rage 1
    22. Streets of rage 2
    23. Streets of rage 3
    24. Virtua Racing

Because I doubt Capcom, Konami or Disney would let Sega use their games. Not a problem if the console was as hackable as the SNES Mini, of course :)

yeah , if it was hackable that would be great. Also you have good taste in games:lol:

1 minute ago, Somethinghedgehog said:

yeah , if it was hackable that would be great. Also you have good taste in games:lol:

Thanks!^_^ I've been making Mega Drive compilations for nearly 20 years (in all my computers, PSP, Android tablets, Android TV...), revisiting the whole catalog from time to time to find another unknown gem (nearly impossible at this point). I'm a bit biased by platformers but I enjoy many other genres. 

Sega could actually use me as project manager for a Genesis Mini XDD