Awoo.

Sonic's future as an RPG series

Swing

Tornado named one, but there's also Persona 5, which lets you control the pace of the combat a fair bit and get momentum over your opponents by hitting their weaknesses to stun them and score extra turns.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Diogenes said:

If you want everyone to be "really, really honest", can we maybe admit that hardly anyone gives a shit about the series for its story and characters, outside a small contingent of hardcore fans? This series' storytelling is as much of a joke as its gameplay and even within the fanbase a lot of games' stories aren't looked at fondly.

Than you guys have to tell me what did kept Sonic alive over this years. The gameplay sucks, the story is laughable, the characters too and Sega doesn't really cares much about this series. What is it that kept Sonic alive over this years? I mean it has to be something.

45 minutes ago, Swing said:

Than you guys have to tell me what did kept Sonic alive over this years. The gameplay sucks, the story is laughable, the characters too and Sega doesn't really cares much about this series. What is it that kept Sonic alive over this years? I mean it has to be something.

Faith, trust, and pixie dust.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Swing said:

Pure chance. Or maybe the music and graphics.

1 hour ago, Swing said:

Stuff like TV shows, comics, and the spin-off games.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 3

7 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Stuff like TV shows, comics, and the spin-off games.

But shows and comics also focus very much on story or characters. And you guys say that also those ideas suck. So that can not be a reason why Sonic is still going. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Swing said:

People who only own Nintendo systems.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Swing said:

But shows and comics also focus very much on story or characters. And you guys say that also those ideas suck. So that can not be a reason why Sonic is still going. 

Not everyone agrees with that statement.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

...Sonic Chronicles has been in the conversation since the start of the thread. Nobody three months ago denied that Sonic had done an RPG. There was just a whole host of problems with it from various sources (wonky battle system where you have to perfect EBA style gameplay perfectly or get vastly reduced outcomes, terrible writing, bad utilisation of characters, ripping off concepts wholesale from alternate media without any thought of the consequences etc). I'd even argue that there have been better Sonic RPG experiences than the Sonic RPG because they avoided one or more of these pitfalls (the Mario and Sonic series has some nifty RPG-like campaigns). 

As for a full modern Sonic RPG, and one preferably more heavily supervised than Chronicles...do I want one? Sure. Do I think we'll get one? That I'm not so sure on, Chronicles probably burned SEGA and Sonic Team pretty bad on the idea for multiple reasons. Not helping is that the Adventure series (and other titles after) were kind of interpretations of RPG elements in a platformer anyway, and they've made a point to move away from that. 

I'd love to see the series try another RPG. I still think a turn-based RPG could work, provided the battle system was more forgiving and let the player do stuff like evade attacks (so basically Mario & Luigi's battle system). The overworld should also be more dynamic. Stuff like jumping and spin dashing should be something you can do anywhere, not just predetermined locations.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/23/2017 at 2:45 PM, Miragnarok said:

In addition to an RPG, I could see a beat em up or tower defense game working in their favor. The tower defense could take cues from Metal Slug Attack (THE most arcade tower defence ive played), and have a huge number of units. That game features every Metal Slug protagonist ever, including ones that were from spin-off games. Plus a substantial number of enemies, bosses, and even brand new characters. There’s a lovely fan-made Sonic realer which takes characters from multiple canons and even special guests.

I'd love to play a tower defense phone game as Robotnik, making chemical plants and flying batteries to hold off hero attackers.

• Fist Bump 1

I have a question. In the Japanese manual translations for S3 and S&K, it says that Knuckles has a nickname of "Knuckle".

But Japanese doesn't distinguish between singular and plural nouns, right? So what sort of distinction is happening here?

To bad Sonic Chronicles The Dark Brotherhood can't get another game but I would a new Sonic RPG / JRPG they can use real music this time and not that dance party music they were using before then give Amy her girl bomber attack with blow kiss. 

I personally would love another sonic rpg. I thought chronicles was great and I would love to have sequel for it but no matter how much I or others want a chronicles sequeI or a new sonic rpg I dont think sega will make one because the last time they made an rpg Ken Penders went for their and Bioware's throats. I also think there is just not a high enough demand for one. Oh well, I guess I will just wait for a good fangame to satisfy my sonic rpg needs.