Jump to content
Razule

Sanic T-Shirt DLC

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Sonic's social media presence is one of the few things the franchise can rest its cap on. If you can find a way to put a feather in that hat, you do it and push more people in that direction. The twitter account gets to post about it, watch the comment section explode and revel in the disproportionate amount of free press that will surely come from the tiny amount of work that went into it.

Whether I like the meme or not is mostly irrelevant. There is something to be said about realizing the synergy between the different branches of your franchise and capitalizing on them. I'm honestly surprised we didn't get more gag pieces of gear. This DLC should have included an &Knuckles hoodie and one of those Sonic hats we got with the pre-order bonus from Colors.

Thing is though, there good and bad ways to capitalise on things.  "People like thing, do more thing" without considering any kind of subtleties to things like "if you don't put a new spin on a joke enough each time you use it, it won't be funny".  The theme behind the & Knuckles meme was the constant one-upmanship, each success more ridiculous in nature than the last.  Or the subject matter was usually tacking it on to an already overly long game name, in which the game was usually the butt of the joke, with & Knuckles just being the delivery method.

Sanic doesn't really have any kind of progression to it like that.  It's just "This Sonic was drawn bad, here it is", every time.  I feel an example of it's good use was when they would use it during social media posts where it popped up unexpectedly, like the first time they did one of those "pause the gif to see what character is your soul mate" sorta things.  But then they just kept doing it and... I dunno.

I feel like a dick coz humour is subjective and who am I to tell people that a thing isn't funny if people continue to find it funny.  In there defense as well, the more casual fan is not going to see every post Sonic makes so it's logical to squeeze some extra mileage out of some memes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Sega should be apologizing for this game, not clowning around. 

This is a completely unreasonable expectation for a company.  It's not even a bad game, it's just mediocre, and plenty of players were satisfied with it.  SEGA acknowledging it as a poor quality product or not referring to it with a totally straight face would be utterly idiotic (and insulting to said players who were okay with it).

"Hey we goofed up a little this time, let's publicly state that it was a bad game, actively decreasing the sales of it, so we have less money to make the next one."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JezMM said:

This is a completely unreasonable expectation for a company.  It's not even a bad game, it's just mediocre, and plenty of players were satisfied with it.  SEGA acknowledging it as a poor quality product or not referring to it with a totally straight face would be utterly idiotic (and insulting to said players who were okay with it).

"Hey we goofed up a little this time, let's publicly state that it was a bad game, actively decreasing the sales of it, so we have less money to make the next one."

Youre right, but my point was more along the lines of, "IF they do anything on social media, they should be apologizing." Like you said, they shouldn't do that either, but the Sanic thing honestly comes off as an attempt to sweep things under the rug. Like yeah, I'd be laughing with you if your game was decent. It's like a dog who just shat on the rug and starts chasing its own tail, but more deliberate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Youre right, but my point was more along the lines of, "IF they do anything on social media, they should be apologizing." Like you said, they shouldn't do that either, but the Sanic thing honestly comes off as an attempt to sweep things under the rug. Like yeah, I'd be laughing with you if your game was decent. It's like a dog who just shat on the rug and starts chasing its own tail, but more deliberate. 

It kinda feels like this:

Some fans: "SEGA, why is the game so short, why are the stages so bland and boring, why is classic Sonic in the game at all, why is the story so poorly written and executed?"
SEGA: "...Here's a Sanic shirt, lol, it's funny!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cut them some slack. Sticking a Sanic image onto a shirt model that already exists probably takes less than an hour to make. Some kid could make that. However, I'm disappointed that they chose some old normie meme over something funnier, like Ohno, Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 or you know, a meme that isn't half a decade old and is beaten like a dead horse on the internet.

At the end of the day, it's a good laugh for about 5 minutes then it is not funny anymore. Nothing to see here, move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sir Laptop said:

Cut them some slack. Sticking a Sanic image onto a shirt model that already exists probably takes less than an hour to make.

And probably takes several hours to go through internal Q&A before it goes to Microsoft and Sony verification before they allow it to be hosted on their networks.

And probably has to have a few of some description sorted out.

And suddenly this isn't a quick cheap thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Youre right, but my point was more along the lines of, "IF they do anything on social media, they should be apologizing."

That's literally the same thing you said before, and still a completely nonsensical idea. They do need to actually promote the thing they're selling, you know, even if it's not as good as they'd hoped. Free DLC is just one mean to that end, and considering it's for a title that's divisive instead of killed before it moved, they should probably be trying to reach that end as much as possible for people that could still be on the fence.

And again, what you're saying is basically asking for radio silence, the single biggest issue plaguing the Sonic media outlets since Forces' announcement, all because you don't like the game? No fuckin' thanks. Condescending shallow shock-humor metaphors about why you hate Sonic Team or whatever isn't going to make doing nothing a good plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

That's literally the same thing you said before, and still a completely nonsensical idea. They do need to actually promote the thing they're selling, you know, even if it's not as good as they'd hoped. Free DLC is just one mean to that end, and considering it's for a title that's divisive instead of killed before it moved, they should probably be trying to reach that end as much as possible for people that could still be on the fence.

And again, what you're saying is basically asking for radio silence, the single biggest issue plaguing the Sonic media outlets since Forces' announcement, all because you don't like the game? No fuckin' thanks. Condescending shallow shock-humor metaphors about why you hate Sonic Team or whatever isn't going to make doing nothing a good plan.

That's not at all the same thing I said before. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

It's not just me who doesn't like the game. Critics and players everywhere are noticing what a gigantic step down it is. This is a huge problem, and Sega are over here just throwing up their arms and making jokes. It's incredibly insulting. How about some actual decent levels in that free DLC? And of course condescending shock humor like this Sanic shirt isn't going to solve anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

And of course condescending shock humor like this Sanic shirt isn't going to solve anything. 

The Sanic shirt obviously isn't meant to solve anything, its just a silly bonus item. And I'm not sure what makes it "condescending shock humor".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Diogenes said:

The Sanic shirt obviously isn't meant to solve anything, its just a silly bonus item. And I'm not sure what makes it "condescending shock humor".

"Woah, holy shit, they put the actual Sanic meme in the game! I guess I'll go buy it now!"

condescending shock humor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

That's not at all the same thing I said before. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

21 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Sega should be apologizing for this game, not clowning around. 

20 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

"IF they do anything on social media, they should be apologizing."

How are these statements not basically the same thing?

9 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

It's not just me who doesn't like the game. Critics and players everywhere are noticing what a gigantic step down it is.

And? What does this t-shirt do to hurt you so much? Are you going to hate the game twiceEither way, it's completely beside the point. I don't care whether you and others hate the game. If they can't make you like it, why stop anyone else from having fun? 

9 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

This is a huge problem, and Sega are over here just throwing up their arms and making jokes. It's incredibly insulting. How about some actual decent levels in that free DLC? 

That's ironic, considering the recurring shitty joke about Forces defenders was "they can still patch it you guys". If you're so concerned with Sega completely dropping this game and never mentioning it again, why do you want any more levels? Obviously this game must be such a disaster that nothing could possibly save it, right? So why bother making any new levels?

I mean, even if they did release better levels, can we really expect anything other than "too little too late, bitch" from you?

9 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

And of course condescending shock humor like this Sanic shirt isn't going to solve anything. 

See, I think you just took my accurate assessment of your terrible joke and thought applying it to this would make a convincing argument, or make me mad enough to pretend you're right. But it just looks foolish. This is a joke costume. It's been in the game since release, just unlocked later. Same with Super Sonic.

 

What angle are you even trying to take here? Are you oversensitive or not? You need to a choice, you're sending a lot of mixed messages since apparently Sega, all at once needs to:

A. Fix this total "disaster" of a game through patching that nobody expects them to do

B. Completely ignore this game and move on to something else, and not make any new content for it

C. Apologize for this game, stopping people from buying it and giving them even less money for the next Sonic game

All because you got offended by a meme?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shaddy the guy said:

How are these statements not basically the same thing?

And? What does this t-shirt do to hurt you so much? Are you going to hate the game twiceEither way, it's completely beside the point. I don't care whether you and others hate the game. If they can't make you like it, why stop anyone else from having fun? 

That's ironic, considering the recurring shitty joke about Forces defenders was "they can still patch it you guys". If you're so concerned with Sega completely dropping this game and never mentioning it again, why do you want any more levels? Obviously this game must be such a disaster that nothing could possibly save it, right? So why bother making any new levels?

I mean, even if they did release better levels, can we really expect anything other than "too little too late, bitch" from you?

See, I think you just took my accurate assessment of your terrible joke and thought applying it to this would make a convincing argument, or make me mad enough to pretend you're right. But it just looks foolish. This is a joke costume. It's been in the game since release, just unlocked later. Same with Super Sonic.

 

What angle are you even trying to take here? Are you oversensitive or not? You need to a choice, you're sending a lot of mixed messages since apparently Sega, all at once needs to:

A. Fix this total "disaster" of a game through patching that nobody expects them to do

B. Completely ignore this game and move on to something else, and not make any new content for it

C. Apologize for this game, stopping people from buying it and giving them even less money for the next Sonic game

All because you got offended by a meme?

I don't know how I was sending mixed messages. To answer that last part, B, and the first part of C, because the second part has already happened. And I really don't know how to address the rest of this post without just repeating myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t have a problem with &Knuckles in Sonic Mania because it wasn’t as in your face, I guess? And it was pretty funny seeing a second Knuckles tailing you! 

This Sanic meme however was stupid from the beginning imo. It is dank as hell and appears in a game that is already mediocre. If this was a good game, I’d roll my eyes a bit and shrug it off but seeing it now really annoys me. 

Well, at least I can still ignore it since it’s only a t shirt design! Let’s hope for better DLC in the future after Super Sonic. Basically, no more memes please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a love/hate relationship with Sanic. It used to be annoying because whenever I wanted to talk about Sonic with someone, they'd 99% of the time only say "NEEEEH SANIC GOTTA GO FEST" and not contribute anything to the conversation. I've learned to like it over time (Mainly the gotta go fast part), but I definitely see why people get annoyed with it, seeing as how excessive uses of it kinda miffs me.

 

At the same time, guys... It's a shirt. A free, optional shirt. SEGA could have easily made this $0.99, or a lootbox thing, but they didn't. They just wanted to have a little fun. This is what bothers me a bit. I'm not saying that SEGA/Sonic Team are perfect and have done nothing wrong, or that this excuses Sonic Forces only being on average, decent. However, throwing temper tantrums and acting like a spoiled little shit isn't gonna solve anything. Demanding an apology from ST, begging them to say "Forces is stinky and we are sorry", all because of a stupid meme? Hell outta here with that, man. Ya see, it's like what some of the others said; if ST publicly states "We're sorry for Sonic Forces", it effectively tells potential consumers not to buy the game, which isn't even bad, a lotta people are enjoying it. Less sales equals less money, less money equals lower budget for next Sonic game, it leads up to the next title being lackluster again with people making a million and one "What went wrong?" videos.

 

Tl;dr Take it EZ, babe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.