Awoo.

Sonic Adventure 2D: could it work?

MetalSkulkBane

I strongly believe that Sonic and his friends can work in 3D.

BUT let's assume that's beyond Sega's competence. That 2D is the only thing that can work, at least for now.

Do you think that it's possible to make a 2D game that is meant to satisfy Modern Fans. Like Shadow and Blaze as playable characters, more developed story and everything else that you think is essential to modern Sonic (except for 3D).

It's a crazy concept I know. but I'm wondering if I would prefer this over another mixed made 3D game.

When it comes to things like story and music, sure, it's irrelevant whether the game is set in 2D or 3D. The only question would be for me is gameplay. How would you translate what defines a "modern" Sonic game into 2D?

Tho analyzing the question, you have to realize that "modern" Sonic already consists of at least 50% of 2D gameplay if not more. So cutting out the barebone 3D they have been giving us and just doing more of the 2D we already had is not a hard task to imagine.

It depends on your audience.  For me, the biggest thing I'm looking for out of the modern games that the classics can't provide for me is 3D gameplay.  So 100% stone-cold "no" is the answer there.

Basically, for me, the question you posed is can it be done if everything "essential" is included apart from 3D, but if 3D is considered "essential" to begin with, then literally the answer is a straight-up "no" lol.  And it's why Colours and Forces were so lame, because they didn't have enough of that "essential" ingredient for me.

Now I will grant you this though... if they went totally bonkers and made a 2D game based on Sonic Mania's gameplay, but with modern character designs, visuals, music, storyline etc.  It'd be weird as hell but I'd be 100% fine with that.  It wouldn't scratch my craving for 3D Modern Sonic, but my craving for 2D Classic Sonic gameplay also needs regular attention and for me, someone who likes Modern Sonic aesthetic, a Modern Sonic "Classic 2D Game" would scratch the itch just as well as one with retro visuals.

And this would not be exactly what Sonic Advance was?

Assuming that, I think it could work, may using 3D models aside of sprites as we saw on Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure and Sonic Colors (DS). An Adventure Field would be viable, using an isometric view or a hub world perspective like one of the Advances (I don't remember well what had a 2D Map as hub world).

But, I don't think it would be this popular, If this were released 12-10 years old, I assume, it would be a great idea, but now, our consoles are extreme powerful for those types of games, and no one would be interested in a 2D sprite perspective game in 2017. Sonic Mania appeals for nostalgia, so it understandable, but the image of Modern Sonic is the 3D. Except if you consider it doing for mobile, but mobile games never are this popular.

8 hours ago, Solister said:

And this would not be exactly what Sonic Advance was?

Assuming that, I think it could work, may using 3D models aside of sprites as we saw on Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure and Sonic Colors (DS). An Adventure Field would be viable, using an isometric view or a hub world perspective like one of the Advances (I don't remember well what had a 2D Map as hub world).

But, I don't think it would be this popular, If this were released 12-10 years old, I assume, it would be a great idea, but now, our consoles are extreme powerful for those types of games, and no one would be interested in a 2D sprite perspective game in 2017. Sonic Mania appeals for nostalgia, so it understandable, but the image of Modern Sonic is the 3D. Except if you consider it doing for mobile, but mobile games never are this popular.

2 How about 3DS game, those are mostly 2D

2 Advance series had only one modern character, Cream. Also, very basic story.

• 6 months later...

I'd prefer modern Sonic to stay 3D. And actually become completely 3D by removing the 2D sections which as already mentioned make up like half the level in the modern games.

I love the classics though so I'd love to see a Sonic Mania 2 with all original levels in the old 2D style. That's what I would actually like to see released next. Then follow that with a fully 3D modern game that by some sort of miracle is amazingly done.

Edit: My bad, I didn't realize this was an old thread. I guess I clicked into this subform by mistake instead of the Green Hill forum and just went into the first topic. Again, my bad.

I personally think 2D games rich in story are very possible. There have been 2D RPG's, the Klonoa and Megaman series have played around with it in there own ways, and as Sonic's 2D gameplay is typically praised with Rush Adventure already pretty much being a blue print to build on I don't see why not.

I really, like, REALLY dislike this idea that 2-D is exclusive for classic Sonic while 3-D is a modern-only thing.

Just by personal preference, I prefer 2-D games by a pretty big margin, as not only are they relatively more simple to create and build levels for, along woth offering a more likely opportunity to add extra playable characters with good gameplay, but also offer a degree of situational awareness that no 3-D game can offer. Plus I like seeing the characters from a side view much more for how it allows to fully appreciate their designs, while in 3-D you're stuck watching their backs most of the time.

Then there is the practicality of full 3-D movement in the Sonic franchise, which I feel only complicates things and creates issues that did not exist before, along with it not having exactly the best of records, neither being something that can be considered a "must have" like it was back in the mid to late 90's where 3-D gaming was a trend that every major platforming franchise that did not want to stay behind HAD to embrace.

If anything, the only thing I see 3-D offering to the Sonic franchise is just giving things a more cinematic feel, particularly on certain parts at the developers discretion.

Now, going into the topic at hand: I think a 2-D adventure game using the Mania engine, the modern cast and adding storytelling elements is possible, with the only real difference with something like Mania being the story part (and maybe some mini-games as well as having hud areas where you talk with NPC's) assuming that they'd be more than just an in-game scripted sequence. Still, I'd throw an optional arcade mode where the game plays more like the traditional 2-D Sonic games just because I know there's people who just want to get right into the actual stages.

• Fist Bump 2

• 2 months later...
On 11/29/2017 at 7:02 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Do you think that it's possible to make a 2D game that is meant to satisfy Modern Fans.

Already happened: since the "modern games" are boost-to-win, Rush, Rush Adventure, and the 3DS versions of Generations fill that void perfectly.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I agree that the Rush games are almost what you’re asking, but not quite. There was plenty of dialogue between stages in Rush Adventure (and Adventure is even in the name). I love overworlds in 2D games, and I think an overworld map would have been nice for Sonic Mania Plus, or any future 2D game. Would it be a crazy design choice to have 2D gameplay and 3D overworlds? That would make me happy.

The issue for Sega might be budget. I don’t know if they’d go and spend money to put cutscenes and all the things I would want into a 2D game to make it feel more like a major title. But we did get Sonic Mania Adventures alongside the game. So why not put all that into the actual game, with animated cutscenes?

A 2D game, with animated cutscenes, and an overworld and multiple storylines might be enough for me to say it feels like a Sonic Adventure type game.