Awoo.

Sonic fans, if Sonic Mania 2 ended up being poorly-made, would you purchase it?

nilesdobbs

Let me preface this by saying, I'm not asking this to explain why Sonic Team is a "good" development team (tired of talking about that), nor to explain the potential of the Mania Team, or how "nostalgia biased" this fanbase is or anything stupid like that. I'm honestly interested in the responses, because this question works both ways with Modern fans. A lot of them said "no" or "maybe" to me in response. Boom fans said "no" too, (albeit for justifiable reasons on their part).

Let's assume that, in this hypothetical scenario, Sonic Mania 2 was announced. It was developed by the same Whitehead team who made the first game. SEGA would give them a higher budget and stronger marketing along with more creative control. However, when it was released it's a glitchy, unpolished mess, with unfocused ideas and bad gameplay mechanics. It ends up being critically panned by fans and critics and is considered by many one of the worst Sonic games ever made. In this situation, would you still purchase the game?

Let's also add flavor to this by saying that the game did not go through any development issues, SEGA had little to no influence on the title, and they had sufficient time to work on it. The only reason the game was poorly done was because the Mania Team wasn't capable of making a successful sequel to Mania.

Please do not give me any  responses such as, "They would never make a bad game, so it doesn't mean anything" or "The Mania Team knows what they're doing". That doesn't matter in this scenario. We are assuming in an "If" scenario; IF Sonic Mania 2 was bad, due to only the ineptitude of the Mania Team, would you still purchase the game?

No, I wouldn't buy the new 'worst Sonic game ever made', because I like spending money on good things. That's why I didn't buy Forces, and it's why I regret buying the likes of Sonic 4.

This is such a weirdly specific scenario with practically no basis in logic or established reality though - it comes across as bitter towards seeing Sonic Team so hilariously trounced more than anything. We have established that the Mania Team aren't "inept" at development and there's no reason to assume this scenario other than an odd need to go asking the bizarre question "would you buy the worst Sonic game ever". Like, who would intentionally buy something on the premise it was bad, besides like, the AVGN or Steam Sales folks? 

• Thumbs Up 8

YEs because maybe there’s something they had a knee-jerk reaction to that i’ll Be intrigued by.

• Nice Smile 1

17 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I chose not to buy Forces because it's bad. I chose to buy Mania because it's good. I will continue to make purchases on these same criteria.

What point are you trying to prove? Get off it.

Don't try and give me attitude Sonic fan. You know EXACTLY what I was trying to explore with this question.

7 minutes ago, Emerald Chaos said:

Legitimately curious what kind of response the OP is expecting here other than "No"...

Honestly, you just can never be absolute certain with how this "fanbase" can be. But yeah, I was expecting most responses to say 'No'. In reality, I asked this question to explore the division in-between all the factions. As, both Modern, Adventure, and Boom fans mostly ranged from "maybe" to some "no's".

• Chuckle 1

11 minutes ago, nilesdobbs said:

Don't try and give me attitude Sonic fan. You know EXACTLY what I was trying to explore with this question.

Throwing around "Sonic fan" in some kind of insulting tone doesn't work on a Sonic the Hedgehog fan forum.

And evidently we don't know besides again, an a undercurrent of annoyance that ST got made to look the fool. It was a pretty dumb question, as established by practically everyone saying "no." 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Throwing around "Sonic fan" in some kind of insulting tone doesn't work on a Sonic the Hedgehog fan forum.

And uh, evidently we don't. It was a pretty dumb question, as established by practically everyone saying "no." 

The question was mainly to explore the seperate divisions and response/purchasing power within all the separate areas of the fanbase, not to see the bias within the fanbase, as it came across as. I don't go on Classic Sonic forums very often, especially as often as I used to. But, I agree in that how I asked the question didn't really make sense and came across as slightly bitter and hateful.

Once I got my mind together and understand exactly what I'm trying to say, then I'll come back here and try again.

The only way a Mania 2 could be bad is if Sonic Team decided to be jackasses, make Taxman and Stealth hand over the Retro Engine, and make it themselves with the same "passion" that went into Forces. If that exact scenario happened, than no. But then no one else would buy that either.

• Thumbs Up 3

Look I know we're a house divided, but a bad game is a bad game, and outside of morbid curiosity I doubt many of us are going to buy a game if it's absolutely confirmed to be garbage, even if that game is Sonic Mania 2.

We obnoxious, bickering, Sonic fans have more agency than most people give us credit for. Just look at how badly the Sonic Boom games sold if you want proof of that.

• Nice Smile 2

• The topic was locked

This just reads as if the OP expects people who liked Mania to blindly follow Whitehead and crew if the game is very obviously isn't turning out well. It comes across as a "GOTCHA" as if you're trying to prove a point against a certain portion of the fanbase. Maybe that isn't the case, and you acknowledged as such, but I think regardless of your intention this topic was flawed and created under the assumption, in the situation as described in the OP, that people will buy the game regardless. I'm going to lock this now, since I don't think it's going to go any further and before this gets heated for no reason.