Awoo.

Mega Man 30th Anniversary Livestream Announced (December 4th, 11AM-12PM PST)

Zippo

I mean..this is the year 2017.

The same year where anything in gaming can happen when we least expect it so who knows...?

I’m not saying a new game is 100% gonna be announced but again who really knows?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Partridge in a Dee Tree said:

The same year where anything in gaming can happen we least expect it so who knows...?

I’m not saying a new game is 100% gonna be announced but again who really knows?

Heck yeah, this is the same year Bubsby came back. This could go either way.

My best bet is footage of that new cartoon and something game related in the works.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even if by some fucking miracle it's another game, there's little that Capcom could feasibly announce that would get me excited.

Classic and X are the only two series that are still part of the public consciousness, so I'm not expecting any follow-ups to ZX, Star Force, or Legends. If they announce another classic game then it'll probably be another 8bit fuckfest that acts like Mega Man 2 was the only game ever made in the series. If they announce Mega Man X9 then I'll be wary of how it turns out because the X series has only about two good games and everything else ranges from mediocre to garbage.

I don't really care about Mega Man anymore, so even if it is another game it's gonna take a tremendous amount of effort put into it that will make me a fan of the series again.

19 minutes ago, Partridge in a Dee Tree said:

The same year where anything in gaming can happen when we least expect it so who knows...?

...It just hit me Bubsy got a comeback before Mega Man.

11 minutes ago, Sean said:

it'll probably be another 8bit fuckfest that acts like Mega Man 2

Oh god no. I just want a proper Mega Man game done in a modern style. Slide, Charge Shot, good graphics (either sprite work or 2D, I don't mind). I'm utterly sick of "8-Bit throwbacks". 

• Thumbs Up 6

43 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Oh god no. I just want a proper Mega Man game done in a modern style. Slide, Charge Shot, good graphics (either sprite work or 2D, I don't mind). I'm utterly sick of "8-Bit throwbacks". 

Yeah. While MegaMan 9 & 10 were fun (heck even got our first ever female robot master finally), I myself did not care for downgrade in animations or the character's abilities all for the sake of throwback. 

While I have nothing against 8-bit Mega Man, I'll heartily agree that it's time to move on from it. It's not like Mega Man 7 or 8 were bad looking games and while 9 & 10 were fun throwbacks, they're capable of doing so much more. And on the subject of the slide and charge-shot, if they're adamant about designing a game around Mega Man 2, at least give the option to unlock them for new game + or something. Thank God Mania let us pick from Sonic's different abilities, even if it was only in No Save mode.

Capcom hyped the crap out of Mega Man's 25th anniversary, too, and look how THAT turned out.

You'd figure Capcom would have learned their lesson from the fan outcry after that disasterous showing for Mega's 30th, but then, just a month or so ago, they gave us a crappy livestream that basically gave us nothing.

I mean, I'm not saying we won't get something this time around, but considering how bad Capcom is at giving the fans what they want, I'm not getting excited anymore until something is actually revealed. And even THEN I may not get excited, considering how much Capcom loves to cancel Mega Man games these days.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be cool enough with another 8-bit "throwback" (does it really have to be seen as a throwback? Can it not just be a valid style apart from that?).

That's not something that would make a lasting impact, though, especially since they already did it with 9 and 10. So I'd also be interested in seeing them do something new, and try to figure out what Mega Man can be in the modern era, hopefully without abandoning the parts that worked in the first place.

...can't say I've got high hopes for either actually happening, though.

12 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

...It just hit me Bubsy got a comeback before Mega Man.

1. Bomberman, Crash, and TJ&E (and Lara Croft and Klonoa) returned, but no sign of Earthworm Jim, Spyro (who is even being phased out of Skylanders!), Bonk, etc. About 3/4ths sure for Mega Man to come back. And Bubsy came back because he was a meme.

2. And Duo.

12 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

1. Bomberman and Crash (and TJ&E and Lara Croft) returned, but no sign of Earthworm Jim, Spyro (who is even being phased out of Skylanders!), Klonoa, Bonk, etc. About 3/4ths sure for Mega Man to come back. And Bubsy came back because he was a meme.

2. And Duo.

Wasn't the creator of Earthworm Jim working on a revival? And Klonoa has a manga or something coming out. Poor Bonk, though;  guy was set to return until Hudson went bye-bye. Maybe he'll get a comeback like his brethren Bomberman did.

Who cares. It's not like they'll announce Battle Network 7. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, terrible time. That's when I'm rewatching Return of the Jedi >:U

4 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

1. Bomberman and Crash (and TJ&E and Lara Croft) returned, but no sign of Earthworm Jim, Spyro (who is even being phased out of Skylanders!), Klonoa, Bonk, etc. About 3/4ths sure for Mega Man to come back. And Bubsy came back because he was a meme.

2. And Duo.

Klonoa is getting a movie.

And Skylanders is just dead in general lol

I hope it ends in Capcom unveiling a time machine that will somehow undo all of the damage they've done to the franchise in the past ten years.

8 hours ago, Diogenes said:

(does it really have to be seen as a throwback?

After Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10 and a couple original-six-only compilations and a complete lack of interest to do anything with the series after? Yes.

Can it not just be a valid style apart from that?).

What style? Retro kitsch for its own sake around the time that era started being popular again? Absolutely not; just like the "aesthetically vapid 3D update to a 2D sprite-based platformers you may have seen someone play once" phase that was going around at the same time wasn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not being a big Mega Man player (They're good but I die so bad at them) I'm kinda hoping on the off chance they announce the Archie Mega Man comic is coming back. Either at Archie or just continuing that Continuity at another company (IDW or Udon)

Apparently, a known Capcom employee, went into the Mega Man thread over at Resetera and hyped up tomorrow's live stream even more. Also, I seriously doubt that they would invite journalists and personalities like Egoraptor for absolutely nothing. Now we just have to wonder what in the world is it that they're planing to show.

8 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Apparently, a known Capcom employee, went into the Mega Man thread over at Resetera and hyped up tomorrow's live stream even more. Also, I seriously doubt that they would invite journalists and personalities like Egoraptor for absolutely nothing. Now we just have to wonder what in the world is it that they're planing to show.

Hmmm, duo pack of the Legends games and Legends 3?

1 hour ago, JovahexeonXMAS Tron Bonne said:

Hmmm, duo pack of the Legends games and Legends 3?

Don’t you mean a trio with the misadventures of tron Bonne? Boy I’d love to have that on my switch

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Maybe they'll have another competition like they did at the last horrible livestream event thing.

24 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Don’t you mean a trio with the misadventures of tron Bonne? Boy I’d love to have that on my switch

Oh ho ho hoo! I almost forgot that gem. 

Wishful thinking all around. 

Just now, PC the Hedgehog said:

Maybe they'll have another competition like they did at the last horrible livestream event thing.

Wouldn't surprise me honestly. 

42 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

They've already announced that they're having a trivia game pre-show with some Twitch streamers before the main stream starts.

10 hours ago, Zippo said:

Also, I seriously doubt that they would invite journalists and personalities like Egoraptor for absolutely nothing.

I know I definitely would never invite Egoraptor to something of mine that was actually important, just saying.

Though on a more serious note, while I'm not saying it's nothing, being certain it's not nothing of substance is seriously underestimating Capcom's ability to be Capcom. But I do think we're at a point where Capcom understand they need to make a real effort with Rockman and their policy in recent years has clearly undergone a change, so I think there's a decent chance of it being something this time, just keep hopes somewhere on this planet is all I'm saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really hope they surprise everyone by either handing the comic license to IDW or Archie being convinced to continue the comic. I want to see Ian's story continued.

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

or Archie being convinced to continue the comic. I want to see Ian's story continued.

I think I'd honestly prefer this to them announcing a game. But part of that is if they do announce a game I know it'll never be what I really want from the franchise at this point.

7 minutes ago, ZERO_ninja said:

I think I'd honestly prefer this to them announcing a game. But part of that is if they do announce a game I know it'll never be what I really want from the franchise at this point.

I think the main issue for me is if they plan to announce their game, I want something new with the series. I want them to try to actively evolve and elevate the game a bit.

It's another reason I can't stand the 8-bit style anymore, because Mega Man is one of my favourite franchises but I don't want it to just be stuck in an endless rut of nostalgia-pandering bullshit. It's a clutch and one that honestly feels lazy to me. Like it's the exact same with say Classic Sonic in Forces. They're so afraid to try anything new or up their game so they throw something to try nostalgia pander as a backup plan.

I want something new from the series, let it be high-quality graphics (I would absolutely love a 2D Drawn Artwork style similar to say Rayman Legends), a decent attempt at a story and characterisation (Think Ian's Mega Man run or hell, even Mega Man Powered Up), and some new gameplay ideas. What if we had some new Rush gadgets? Or have tag-team gameplay with Rock and Blues? Unlockable characters (Imagine the same level as Powered Up, getting to play as every single robot master, Roll, Rock, Blues etc). 

I want something more than just "lame attempt to make Mega Man 2 again". I didn't even like the first attempt very much because while Mega Man 9 had the most interesting robot master cast in years, they completely botched "Nintendo Hard" difficulty and made an extremely cheap and annoying game to play through.

• Thumbs Up 3

That's very similar to how I feel, but I also outright wouldn't want a Classic game. I love the Classic series but Rockman is a franchise to me that kept growing, changing and reinventing its identity for each new console it went to. So I'd want to see a totally new iteration, or some followup for the existing ones that didn't get to go out on a proper final game.

But I feel like all we'll ever see from this point on is Classic and maybe X if new games do happen. Though given these games need to be profitable and how the world are these days I can't really say I'd blame them for it.

That said, I won't not enjoy a great Classic game, it's just not what I'm looking for from the franchise.