Awoo.

Is Sonic Boom finally dead?

Stritix

Sonic Boom was announced in October 2013 with the spin-off series properly debuting in 2014. The initial reveal of the character redesigns left a lot of fans uncertain about the spin-off series. Both games tanked critically and commercially. Both games hit the news as being the world selling Sonic games in history in February 2015. The TV show apparently did well but there hasn't been any news about a third season.

Sorry there isn't more to the OP but I've barely followed the Sonic Boom series since it was revealed and I cannot find any information about anything upcoming for the spin-off series. Is this the end of the Sonic Boom franchise? Is SEGA focusing primarily on SEGA Sonic?

Well, Ian Flynn said that some elements of Boom will appear in the new comics so the sub-franchise might survive is some capacity; however, it seems that it might be ending now which is kind of sad since it did have some nice ideas which weren't expanded upon much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, even if it is...it isn't like it matters. It's a non-offensive side thing that SEGA was never really invested in to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 3

They were still selling the rights to license it at last year's Vegas expo and BLE so I doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 5

No idea. There's a few hints here and there but nothing really to confirm that it absolutely is. Besides, the sonic franchise will be fine with or without it anyway. It wouldn't be a huge loss. 

While I absolutely would love for it to be dead, and hate it for the same flanderizing style of other shows and mostly lame humour (With a couple decent jokes if they're lucky), but I wouldn't hold my breath. I hear it has done pretty well despite practically being screwed over by CN (Something admittedly that makes me smile, but is still scummy either way). I'm sure it'll be back unfortunately for me, but fortunately for others either on CN or another network perhaps. Though it's marketing outside of twitter seems to have died down, so who knows.

2 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

While I absolutely would love for it to be dead, and hate it for the same flanderizing style of other shows and mostly lame humour

Spoken like someone who hasn't seen the entirety of the series and made a faulty judgement off of a glimpse's worth. It's way above the tier you've assumed it to be at. 

Like seriously,  actually watch and you'd know that it never even sucumed to the brand of humor that Cartoon Network shills.

Goodness. Like,  I get disliking Boom,  but jesus man, don't let that hatred blind you that potently.

• Thumbs Up 5

10 minutes ago, JovahexeonXMAS Tron Bonne said:

Spoken like someone who hasn't seen the entirety of the series and made a faulty judgement off of a glimpse's worth. It's way above the tier you've assumed it to be at. 

Like seriously,  actually watch and you'd know that it never even sucumed to the brand of humor that Cartoon Network shills.

Goodness. Like,  I get disliking Boom,  but jesus man, don't let that hatred blind you that potently.

From what I've seen, it has. It has and I don't need to watch a hundred and four episodes just to make a call. I can point out every time the show has basically flanderized the characters without even having to poke at the most obvious one. But this thread is not about the quality of the show, and I have no intention of bothering to discuss a show I dislike as much as Teen Titans Go, without much good to say. It'd just be pointless.

I can also basically say the same as don't let the love of Sonic cloud judgement. Because I can point to countless times where something that's "Ok" or "At least not as bad as" has been said numerous times as some sort of complement to both games and this show that somehow makes it good for some. If you enjoy the show, enjoy it. I ain't gonna rain on that parade.

Just now, dbzfan7 said:

From what I've seen, it has. It has and I don't need to watch a hundred and four episodes just to make a call. I can point out every time the show has basically flanderized the characters without even having to poke at the most obvious one.

The problem is that,  those are the exception,  not a norm that justifies extreme hatred of the show and giving it such a misleading label as you have. 

It goes without saying,  there's a good reason the normal consensus doesn't real it as bad as those shows you compared it to. And it didn't win and get nominated for awards for nothing either. 

Unless you have strong evidence that the show as a whole is that bad, the jab was highly unnecessary in the first place. 

I think it is very safe to assume we won't be seeing much of Sonic Boom outside of merchandise any time soon. I highly doubt they want to make any more games, comics have been canned for a long time and there is no season 3 is sight. Sonic Boom is just a strange, insignificant speed bump in Sonic's history.

• Thumbs Up 6

8 minutes ago, JovahexeonXMAS Tron Bonne said:

The problem is that,  those are the exception,  not a norm that justifies extreme hatred of the show and giving it such a misleading label as you have. 

It goes without saying,  there's a good reason the normal consensus doesn't real it as bad as those shows you compared it to. And it didn't win and get nominated for awards for nothing either. 

Unless you have strong evidence that the show as a whole is that bad, the jab was highly unnecessary in the first place. 

It was not highly unnecessary. I think it is that terrible, and especially considering the countless times it does something stupid or groan inducing. Especially when I apparently have to watch a bigger chunk of the show just to have an opinion now? I've seen more than enough. I have more than enough ways to point out why it's that bad to me at least. Not to mention it's accolades aren't exactly mind blowing in any real way, they're just there. It's a show I'm sure will be remembered fondly by some, and not so much by others. It's not some great thing people will look back on. It's in the same park as Sonic X is. Something some fondly remember and others do not. It's not Underground levels of bad to people don't want to remember it, etc.

This isn't the thread to talk about the show, and I have no reason to argue why I think that. If you're truly offended I think the show is as bad as the likes of Teen Titans Go, then too bad. That is exactly how I feel. You can call it an exaggeration if you wish, but that changes nothing of what I think of it.

6 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

just to have an opinion now?

I didn't say that. Don't try to put words in my mouth. 

6 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

It's a show I'm sure will be remembered fondly by some, and not so much by others. It's not some great thing people will look back on. It's in the same park as Sonic X is.

This isn't the thread to talk about the show, and I have no reason to argue why I think that. If you're truly offended I think the show is as bad as the likes of Teen Titans Go, then too bad. That is exactly how I feel. You can call it an exaggeration if you wish, but that changes nothing of what I think of it.

Come now. Let's not turn this into a bout of "it's my opinion so deal with it."

Yes,  that is your opinion,  and it's fine to post it, but don't throw a fit when I point out potential glaring flaws with it.

It's nothing for me to get offended by,  because it doesn't weigh that much on the grand scheme of things nor affect the quality it truly has. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, JovahexeonXMAS Tron Bonne said:

I didn't say that. Don't try to put words in my mouth. 

Come now. Let's not turn this into a bout of "it's my opinion so deal with it."

Yes,  that is your opinion,  and it's fine to post it, but don't throw a fit when I point out potential glaring flaws with it.

It's nothing for me to get offended by,  because it doesn't weigh that much on the grand scheme of things nor affect the quality it truly has. 

I turned it into one because this is NOT a thread about it's quality, so there is no business getting upset with how I judge it. Now if I put this in the Sonic Boom thread, that would be different. But here you're starting something in a discussion thread that has no business for it.

But there isn't a flaw in it. It's not a fact, it's an opinion. I can hate on it and literally give it the same defense as the other shows people love to hate on CN. It's not the worse show ever, but I don't think TTG is the worst show ever either.

Just now, dbzfan7 said:

I turned it into one because this is NOT a thread about it's quality, so there is no business getting upset with how I judge it. Now if I put this in the Sonic Boom thread, that would be different. But here you're starting something in a discussion thread that has no business for it.

But there isn't a flaw in it. It's not a fact, it's an opinion. I can hate on it and literally give it the same defense as the other shows people love to hate on CN. It's not the worse show ever, but I don't think TTG is the worst show ever either.

Look man,  at this stage of the game,  it's really pointless,  especially since now you're just essentially repeating the opinion you already stated. 

What're you even trying to prove? Every opinion had potential flaws in the judgment process. It's nothing to get broken up over. 

6 minutes ago, JovahexeonXMAS Tron Bonne said:

Look man,  at this stage of the game,  it's really pointless,  especially since now you're just essentially repeating the opinion you already stated. 

What're you even trying to prove? Every opinion had potential flaws in the judgment process. It's nothing to get broken up over. 

I'm repeating myself because I do not wish to discuss such matters on this thread, nor do I need to have my opinion called out for silly reasons.

Indeed I couldn't agree more, which is why I place it on the same level as TTG. Practically everything I personally have going for and against both, are near identical. Especially when you're calling me out going "It's way above the tier you're putting it at". Who are you to say that? If you want to think that go ahead, but don't tell me I am underselling my opinion. I've seen a quarter of the show, and that's WAY MORE than enough for me.

The jab was not highly unnecessary. It was entirely necessary just to illustrate my dislike of the show, and how strong it is. The only people to find that offensive are those who do not like it being compared to shows they find lesser. I mean you're questioning me in a thread that has no business for this discussion, because I said something harsh about this IMO awful show?

1 minute ago, dbzfan7 said:

I'm repeating myself because I do not wish to discuss such matters on this thread, nor do I need to have my opinion called out for silly reasons.

Then just don't repeat it. It's pointless to do so if you actually believe in it. 

3 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Indeed I couldn't agree more

With what?

4 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Practically everything I personally have going for and against both, are near identical. Especially when you're calling me out going "It's way above the tier you're putting it at".

That's my assessment of the situation yes. That it's a faulty observation and misleading to others,  so I contested it.

5 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I've seen a quarter of the show, and that's WAY MORE than enough for me.

Okay? That's fine. Doesn't erase potential flaws in observation,  but I suppose that's, a factor. The reasoning for the opinion is murky, but you really shouldn't let my opinion of it drag you back in for more confrontation without reason. 

If I somehow offended you then I apologize.

10 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

The only people to find that offensive are those who do not like it being compared to shows they find lesser.

And now there's another problem. Cut it out with generalizations. Spouting those only makes things worse. 

11 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I mean you're questioning me in a thread that has no business for this discussion, because I said something harsh about this IMO awful show?

No,  I just think it needed to be scripted with more tact and less mean spirited syntax. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I have quite a lot of respect for the show and the way it does it's dialogue and characters nowadays. Far more than I initially thought I would when it came to be. It really does hit home how much a better voice director and some better writers can make the way they speak to one another sound more natural and get me to laugh without any cringey nonsense. That became so much more apparent after Forces became public too.

Not to mention, it currently has the best version of Tails. If it dies, he goes with it and that'd be a national tragedy. Hopefully someone gets the idea to make what they were doing with him official.

Or at least, this version of Tails is the minimum quality for IDW and beyond.

20 minutes ago, JovahexeonXMAS Tron Bonne said:

If I somehow offended you then I apologize.

The reason it's highly offensive your statement as your original saying is full of you completely making up how much I've actually watched the show by saying "I only saw a glimpse". So you were completely jugging how much I've seen the show on baseless thoughts. Then tried to use it as an excuse to basically discredit them whether you intended to not. By assuming I've seen little, you can put it to your mind my opinion is lesser. "It's at a higher tier" because you say so which is your opinion being paraded as a fact. If you wanted to present that as less hostile you'd say "I don't think it's as bad as the likes of CN's worst. Perhaps some of the better episodes could help sway you if ya want." Then there's the generalization again of "Seriously go watch it's not at all like those other shows". While this isn't on its own that bad of phrasing. It comes off as completely passive aggressive. It gives off the aura of being put off by my opinion, thinking it's crazy, and rectifying it. Especially when commonly the phrase "Seriously" when used before said sentence is used for disbelief or surreal subject matter. Seriously as it implies is a stronger word. Suggesting would be a lighter word with less hostility behind it.

11 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Or at least, this version of Tails is the minimum quality for IDW and beyond.

He's only like slightly better in Boom. He's a major far cry from the likes of Archie Comics or even past games. Even then as a fan of Tails who thinks he has a solid basis in Boom, there's just so much wrong ugh. I mean I can at least say Boom Tails is better than 06, Unleashed, Colors, Generations, Lost World, and Forces portrayals.....but that's not much of a compliment.

1 hour ago, JovahexeonXMAS Tron Bonne said:

Spoken like someone who hasn't seen the entirety of the series and made a faulty judgement off of a glimpse's worth.

I don't think somebody needs to watch an entire series to form an opinion. if they saw something and didn't like it then they really didn't leave a good first impression. I'm not even talking in the context of the cartoon but in general.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Dejimon11 said:

I don't think somebody needs to watch an entire series to form an opinion. if they saw something and didn't like it then they really didn't leave a good first impression. I'm not even talking in the context of the cartoon but in general.

Not to mention my glimpse is like 20-25% of the show. Some of Season 1 which to me was really bad, especially early on. Then some of Season 2 which admittedly did improve on it's laugh to cringe ratio to me, but not enough to raise my overall thoughts. I mean I shoulda stopped at like 10% or possibly 5%. I'd save myself a lot of time and pain XD.

1 hour ago, dbzfan7 said:

He's only like slightly better in Boom. He's a major far cry from the likes of Archie Comics or even past games. Even then as a fan of Tails who thinks he has a solid basis in Boom, there's just so much wrong ugh.

Eh, nah. Can't agree with that. I like the stories involving the character development Tails got in a few of the past games and there were some moments in the Archie Comics that capitalized on him well but as far as encompassing everything I love about the character; making him fun and child-like while also taking into account his other, more negative emotions and traits in a way that doesn't make him come across as a whiney little bitch but like he has a more natural 2nd and 3rd dimension to him this is the one I love the most. Episodes that capitalize on how smart he is in a way that doesn't just have him belting out techno-mumbo jumbo like in "Translate This" where the plan he came up with was a solid and clever use of a deficiency that one of his robots had still gets to me.

Playing to the sides of his issues with self-esteem while also keeping him cute about how dorky and flustered he gets is great to watch too. Then there's episodes that capitalize on the traits he must have  gotten from hanging with Sonic. The comics and the more recent games have this too but it feels more natural in Boom to me. I love the episode Ian Flynn wrote where Sonic and Tails get in a competition with one another over whether or not Tails can do Eggman's job better than him and they just have this Wil E. Coyote and Road Runner back and forth that sees him getting all frustrated. 

There's a lot there that works way more than it has in other media in my opinion. One of the issues with the other ones you've mentioned is that despite capitalizing on what can be developed about him a bit more than some others, he's struggled to come off as interesting, as fun, and as adorkable as he does in Boom while doing it I feel.

• Thumbs Up 5

If Boom really is gone, that's a shame IMO. The shows portrayal of the side  characters has been far more entertaining than what the games have been doing with them last five or six years.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Eh, nah. Can't agree with that. I like the stories involving the character development Tails got in a few of the past games and there were some moments in the Archie Comics that capitalized on him well but as far as encompassing everything I love about the character; making him fun and child-like while also taking into account his other, more negative emotions and traits in a way that doesn't make him come across as a whiney little bitch but like he has a more natural 2nd and 3rd dimension to him this is the one I love the most. Episodes that capitalize on how smart he is in a way that doesn't just have him belting out techno-mumbo jumbo like in "Translate This" where the plan he came up with was a solid and clever use of a deficiency that one of his robots had still gets to me.

Playing to the sides of his issues with self-esteem while also keeping him cute about how dorky and flustered he gets is great to watch too. Then there's episodes that capitalize on the traits he must have  gotten from hanging with Sonic. The comics and the more recent games have this too but it feels more natural in Boom to me. I love the episode Ian Flynn wrote where Sonic and Tails get in a competition with one another over whether or not Tails can do Eggman's job better than him and they just have this Wil E. Coyote and Road Runner back and forth that sees him getting all frustrated. 

There's a lot there that works way more than it has in other media in my opinion. One of the issues with the other ones you've mentioned is that despite capitalizing on what can be developed about him a bit more than some others, he's struggled to come off as interesting, as fun, and as adorkable as he does in Boom while doing it I feel.

I don't see it. I see the humble child, adorakble guy. But then I see the conceited egomaniac of recent torture as well that I can't stand. The incredibly shallow stories, especially in season 1 he is put through which make him look completely shallow as a person. Then there's the constant butt monkeying I'd see as well which just got grating time and time again. Especially when a lot of it made little sense, had no real build up to pay off, or was completely mean spirited and came out of nowhere like "Crap we need to end on a joke...alright here's a random physical gag". Stereotypes are still heavily involved in the character while the Archie comics sidestepped them completely. He's just a less annoying and slightly more useful Lost World Tails to me. But I'm glad you could find things to enjoy about him in some form.

37 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Well, I never said that, but I can understand why you may think that. Besides Deji, I'll admit, you do give good reasoning when you feel the need to support your points, so I digress.

40 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

The reason it's highly offensive your statement as your original saying is full of you completely making up how much I've actually watched the show by saying "I only saw a glimpse".

I do not take kindly to blatant lies. I compared it's firmness and tact to that of someone who's only seen a glimpse of it. I didn't state that was actually the case for you. Geez, so this whole thing has been the work of severe misunderstanding. What a waste of time if that's the case, especially with the rest of your point after that bit, running off that incorrect assumption.

Next time, ask and clarify before plunging into things so severely please. Be more nice like others and things won't turn as ugly as this one did.

In that case, it seems we're done here.