Awoo.

Is Sonic Boom finally dead?

Stritix

I honestly found the show's writing kind of cringey the games awful, and I really don't like the idea of splitting up the franchise like that with a separate branch in the first place so overall I can say I'm glad it's not going to be a thing anymore. Hopefully some of the energy that went toward this can be put toward building up the main franchise.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Tornado said:

If Boom doesn't have a third season, a much more likely result is that it will be replaced with nothing.

Don’t be so fast to assume. Archie was pretty quickly replaced with IDW.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Don’t be so fast to assume.

What Sonic game is Sega releasing to hang a cartoon around it as part of a massive marketing push of the franchise?

Archie was pretty quickly replaced with IDW.

It took them 7 months to even announce that Archie was officially cancelled, even though Sega had been frustrated with Archie for years at that point. The first IDW won't even hit until 9 months after that. We seem to have a pretty different idea of "quick".

• Thumbs Up 4

While I would find it sad if Sonic Boom is cancelled, I at least hope they can make a new series based more on the Adventure era of video games, while bringing in other characters like Blaze, Silver, Marine, and others. They don’t need to have humans in it for say, but I want to see the characters explore more than a tropical island setting.  I want to see them actually going places, instead of just walking from one small location to another.

I also hope they can bring back Sticks. It would be a shame to lose that character. If they were to make a new Sonic series, I wouldn’t mind if it still has humorous moments, but I would love to see story arcs, character development, and some suspense. Sonic Boom’s reliance on humor got tiring after a while.

I wouldn’t mind if the show was still cg, but I hope they keep the same designs from the modern games, while having it look better than Sonic Boom. At this rate, I’d rather try and get a new Sonic show, but I would still hate to see Sticks go.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tornado said:

What Sonic game is Sega releasing to hang a cartoon around it as part of a massive marketing push of the franchise?

It took them 7 months to even announce that Archie was officially cancelled, even though Sega had been frustrated with Archie for years at that point. The first IDW won't even hit until 9 months after that. We seem to have a pretty different idea of "quick".

1. Not this time. This time won’t be a big initiative, just a cartoon for the games. Like in the olden days. Just one cartoon and that is that. It doesn’t seem like they’ll do an initiative again at all after RoL. 

2. That is small potatoes compared to the six or so YEAR gap between X and Boom, with only rumors in between.  In other words, Archie’s replacement WAS comparatively quick. And three years seems like enough time to whip up a replacement plan behind their backs, especially if they keep the partnership around like they did with DiC. 

12 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

1. Not this time. This time won’t be a big initiative, just a cartoon for the games. Like in the olden days. Just one cartoon and that is that. It doesn’t seem like they’ll do an initiative again at all after RoL. 

"Sega might do something that they did 25 years ago when the company was structured completely differently with far more autonomy".

2. That is small potatoes compared to the six or so YEAR gap between X and Boom, with only rumors in between. 

Yes, the six years between when they concluded a TV show created as part of a promotion for a game and the other TV show launched as part of a promotion for a game. It's almost as if Sega don't consider a television show started as part of a large marketing push and an ongoing comic largely separate from the series to be the same thing with the same required investment on their part.

Since they aren't.

12 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

And three years seems like enough time to whip up a replacement plan behind their backs, especially if they keep the partnership around like they did with DiC. 

Okay, let me get your argument boiled down here:

1. People shouldn't say that Sonic Boom won't be replaced on television because Sega might quickly make a new Sonic show for basically no reason... up to three years later.
  2. There is apparently precedent to this because Sega only took a year and a half to replace a comic that they had been unhappy with the company publishing for several years now, including 7 months where it seemed like they weren't sure if they wanted to replace it at all.

But both of those can count as "quickly replaced"?

If Sega wanted a quick turnaround for the Sonic comic, they would have had something on newstands in January 2017. They would have had deals signed with a new company well before Archie was cancelled. They wouldn't have waffled for over half a year about whether the old one was even cancelled, and they certainly wouldn't have waited until that long to actually announce a new one was going to eventually come out.

Likewise, if Sega wanted to replace Sonic Boom with something directly and quickly (even though it wouldn't be paired as marketing with anything in particular), they would have already announced it by now. If they wanted to continue their partnership with the production companies to lower the lead times, those companies would already be working on whatever it was that would be replacing it. Everything that has led people to think why Sonic Boom won't have a third season at this point also applies to Sega putting together something completely different to replace it.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Tornado said:

If Sega wanted a quick turnaround for the Sonic comic, they would have had something on newstands in January 2017. They would have had deals signed with a new company well before Archie was cancelled. They wouldn't have waffled for over half a year about whether the old one was even cancelled, and they certainly wouldn't have waited until that long to actually announce a new one was going to eventually come out.

I think the quick replacement being referred to here is that the IDW deal was announced something like the day after or even the same day as the Archie cancellation, and indeed it seems likely that the delay in confirming the Archie cancellation was because they were holding it back until the IDW deal could be finalised, presumably to soften the blow.  Archie was already cancelled the whole time, they just weren't telling us until they could simultaneously tell us about the replacement.  I agree that this is not the same as actually having a replacement comic available to purchase even within a year.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

19 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

2. That is small potatoes compared to the six or so YEAR gap between X and Boom, with only rumors in between.  In other words, Archie’s replacement WAS comparatively quick. And three years seems like enough time to whip up a replacement plan behind their backs, especially if they keep the partnership around like they did with DiC. 

You are comparing Apples and Oranges my friend. TV and Comics are nowhere near the same in terms of production.

Highly doubt it. There are some aspects that hint at a potential third season, but we'll see. 

If season three ends up happening, we won't likely hear about it for another year anyway.  

11 hours ago, sinclair said:

Highly doubt it. There are some aspects that hint at a potential third season, but we'll see. 

If you mean in the show that has nothing to do with whether they have a 3rd season. There are shows that end with cliff hangers because they get canceled. And there are shows that feel like they should have ended decades ago still on the air. 

11 hours ago, sinclair said:

If season three ends up happening, we won't likely hear about it for another year anyway.  

I think we would have heard about it already tbh

13 hours ago, sinclair said:

Well.. no, if Season 3 is certainly happening we'd at least know it was renewed a year in advance. We knew about Season 2 in late 2015. The trailer would come later, but it would be announced much earlier. Heck, usually we'd know before the current season's end. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Boom is quite easily the best Sonic cartoon we've ever had and has done a fair amount of good for the brand's image. I can't remember the last time the cast has ever been written this well, bar Eggman who is consistently well done.  If nothing else, I'd like to start seeing Sticks appear in main games since she seems to be a canon immigrant now.

Say what you want about the show, but it has done WONDERS for our current Amy's performance, as well as Amy as a character in general. She's skyrocketed from being one of the worst voices to one of the best. If game Amy begins acting more like Boom Amy, that'll probably be the best takeaway from the series.

Even Shadow got a little better, though his only true problem was lack of screentime with actual GOOD direction

• Thumbs Up 7

6 minutes ago, Aquaslash said:

Boom is quite easily the best Sonic cartoon we've ever had and has done a fair amount of good for the brand's image. I can't remember the last time the cast has ever been written this well, bar Eggman who is consistently well done.  If nothing else, I'd like to start seeing Sticks appear in main games since she seems to be a canon immigrant now.

I don't really think its done much for the brand image personally. Some people tweet out a image from the show with a subtitle, but that's... it really. A lot of folks didn't know it was still on. Also Knuckles and Shadow are written pretty terribly, considering their original versions and the show's formula for humor. As for sticks, eh....I would like her to stay around. We will see

Say what you want about the show, but it has done WONDERS for our current Amy's performance, as well as Amy as a character in general. She's skyrocketed from being one of the worst voices to one of the best. If game Amy begins acting more like Boom Amy, that'll probably be the best takeaway from the series.

Her performance seems to be the same as ever in terms of her actor. As far as character actions goes I would like normal amy to act more like boom amy yes, but given who's in charge... I doubt that will happen

Even Shadow got a little better, though his only true problem was lack of screentime with actual GOOD direction

Boom shadow is terribad, and his voice is terribad. 

Kirk's first Role as shadow that's decent is forces, and I don't think boom had anything to do with that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Also Knuckles and Shadow are written pretty terribly, considering their original versions

Her performance seems to be the same as ever in terms of her actor. As far as character actions goes I would like normal amy to act more like boom amy yes, but given who's in charge... I doubt that will happen

Boom shadow is terribad, and his voice is terribad. Kirk's first Role as shadow that's decent is forces, and I don't think boom had anything to do with that. 

Ok, gonna reply to each of those because I'm retarded and can't figure out this new formatting.

For the first point, your first mistake is doing the bolded.  It was made clear extremely early on that these are not the originals and shouldn't be expected to behave as such.  Specifically in the case of Knuckles, if either version were to start acting like the other, it'd be extremely out of character.

For the second, there's a massive spike in quality with Robinson's Amy performance in comparison to what we had before, which was Free Riders, Generations, and Lost World. In a way, it's the same issue Shadow had, in which there wasn't enough screentime with GOOD direction.  I'm a bit hopeful for future games on'y because I hope Forces helped prove once again that Sonic Team's Japanese writing talent was only ever good in Sonic Adventure 2, and let Pontac and Graff have some of their control back. Contrary to popular opinion around these parts, I believe our HTF guys' weakness is in concluding stories (much like Ian Flynn during pre genesis wave archie) and that character interactions are one of their strongest points.  In short, they could write a good Amy if given the chance.

Last point, I'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I'll admit some bias as I absolutely despised the previous voice Shadow had so anything was an improvement to me.  I'm not too keen on Shadow being the series big bad myself but it's whatever

17 hours ago, Aquaslash said:

Ok, gonna reply to each of those because I'm retarded and can't figure out this new formatting.

For the first point, your first mistake is doing the bolded.  It was made clear extremely early on that these are not the originals and shouldn't be expected to behave as such.  Specifically in the case of Knuckles, if either version were to start acting like the other, it'd be extremely out of character.

It wasn't. I'll explain. When presenting different versions of characters even in a comedic setting, ongoing shows, even short things like comics tend toe explain or introduce their characters whether in the story or outside of the story. They never establish this for either character, those need to be established because of all the characters included in boom from the main series those two have backstories that effects those characters motivations and how they act. Sonic, tails, amy and eggman generally don't have much going on. Tail's and amy's motivating factors and main source of characterization is sonic. One inspired by him, one inspired by him and is love with him, and one hates his guts. These are simple and don't require much explanation. 

Knuckles and Shadow have backstory and lore that contribute to the way they act that is completely separate from sonic as an entity , sonic may have been involved in the games they debuted in by their personalities were formed long before sonic showed up in their lives. And didn't really change to much after besides they weren't bad guys anymore... and that wasn't even sonic for shadow it was a combination of things and maria a character that doesn't exist. 

Now having completely new characters with new backstories is totally fine. The issue is... they keep referencing these characters in humor and in temperament as the same as the original game counterparts. to start with knuckles, they decided " hey lets make knuckles dumb because he's dumb in the main games" but that's just it... he's not dumb in the main games, his gullible sometimes but the reason he's gullible is because he lived on an island tasked with protecting the master emerald separate from people in general and just wants to trust people because he doesn't have a family they even reference the family point in the show. Issue is, knuckles doesn't have that backstory in boom, boom knuckles has just been hanging around people and there's no justifiable reason as to why he has no family. No explanation, they are trying to reference the other version of the character to use as a shorthand for this character, and doesn't work because his backstory is more complicated than that and there's explanations that need to be given if you are going to change or use aspects of the character.

Shadow's even worse, because shadow's temperament in the games is because he saw his friends die, and was locked in a government basement for half a century and had his memories manipulated with and didn't feel like he had control over his existence or whether he was real for a good long time . Shadow with all of that happening would probably be  a completely different person. Yet he has the exact same temperament but with no motivations, they just reference the other version because he's " edgy" its just shorthand. Not use correctly might I add, because if you are going to go out of your way to use an alternate world version of a character, you need to make it just that. An alternate world version of a character, the character needs motivations and story related to why they are who they are. Even alternate versions of comic book characters do this.But boom doesn't do this, it just uses things references the 4rth wall with out actually writing out whole stories or complete jokes.

And that's the problem, they are complete characters they aren't tropes that spout nonsensical lines.

If you are gonna create new versions of shadow and knuckles, create new versions of shadow and knuckles. Not ones that rely on the other ones because they wont stand up because don't have the story to justify their existence, because you cant be bothered to tone your c- comedy down for 2 seconds to actually make episodes that explore characters while also being funny. 

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

It wasn't. I'll explain. When presenting different versions of characters even in a comedic setting, ongoing shows, even short things like comics tend toe explain or introduce their characters whether in the story or outside of the story. They never establish this for either character, those need to be established because of all the characters included in boom from the main series those two have backstories that effects those characters motivations and how they act. Sonic, tails, amy and eggman generally don't have much going on. Tail's and amy's motivating factors and main source of characterization is sonic. One inspired by him, one inspired by him and is love with him, and one hates his guts. These are simple and don't require much explanation. 

Knuckles and Shadow have backstory and lore that contribute to the way they act that is completely separate from sonic as an entity , sonic may have been involved in the games they debuted in by their personalities were formed long before sonic showed up in their lives. And didn't really change to much after besides they weren't bad guys anymore... and that wasn't even sonic for shadow it was a combination of things and maria a character that doesn't exist. 

Now having completely new characters with new backstories is totally fine. The issue is... they keep referencing these characters in humor and in temperament as the same as the original game counterparts. to start with knuckles, they decided " hey lets make knuckles dumb because he's dumb in the main games" but that's just it... he's not dumb in the main games, his gullible sometimes but the reason he's gullible is because he lived on an island tasked with protecting the master emerald separate from people in general and just wants to trust people because he doesn't have a family they even reference the family point in the show. Issue is, knuckles doesn't have that backstory in boom, boom knuckles has just been hanging around people and there's no justifiable reason as to why he has no family. No explanation, they are trying to reference the other version of the character to use as a shorthand for this character, and doesn't work because his backstory is more complicated than that and there's explanations that need to be given if you are going to change or use aspects of the character.

Shadow's even worse, because shadow's temperament in the games is because he saw his friends die, and was locked in a government basement for half a century and had his memories manipulated with and didn't feel like he had control over his existence or whether he was real for a good long time . Shadow with all of that happening would probably be  a completely different person. Yet he has the exact same temperament but with no motivations, they just reference the other version because he's " edgy" its just shorthand. Not use correctly might I add, because if you are going to go out of your way to use an alternate world version of a character, you need to make it just that. An alternate world version of a character, the character needs motivations and story related to why they are who they are. Even alternate versions of comic book characters do this.But boom doesn't do this, it just uses things references the 4rth wall with out actually writing out whole stories or complete jokes.

And that's the problem, they are complete characters they aren't tropes that spout nonsensical lines.

If you are gonna create new versions of shadow and knuckles, create new versions of shadow and knuckles. Not ones that rely on the other ones because they wont stand up because don't have the story to justify their existence, because you cant be bothered to tone your c- comedy down for 2 seconds to actually make episodes that explore characters while also being funny. 

Thank you. I especially agree with that last sentence which is why I started to liek the show less. Though to be fair, there's the issue with the episodes only being 11-minutes

On 12/6/2017 at 9:14 AM, Shadowlax said:

If you mean in the show that has nothing to do with whether they have a 3rd season. There are shows that end with cliff hangers because they get canceled. And there are shows that feel like they should have ended decades ago still on the air. 

I think we would have heard about it already tbh

This talk about a Season 3..gee, I wonder where I've heard THAT before....yeesh. > = P

3 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

@Shadowlax  You basically summed up why I don't like any of the characters in this show. Especially the more complicated ones.

For example, we never really find out how Sticks met the others despite her being a main character. 

Just now, RedFox99 said:

For example, we never really find out how Sticks met the others despite her being a main character. 

Rise of Lyric showed that I believe...albeit poorly. Though how the entire circle of friends met in the first place is still up in the air.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh sticks doesn't need to be all that deep, and works fine. I think an episode about why she is what she is nice, but you can kinda get where she's fromand why she acts how she acts through her dialouge and actions. Good writing

Shadow and Knuckles come out of nowhere and none of their actions feel like they are apart of that characters, just... lines being said from... a trope. Their actions make no sense a lot of the time with little or no motivations besides " we wanted to make a joke " or " we need to move the plot" . 

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Eh sticks doesn't need to be all that deep, and works fine. I think an episode about why she is what she is nice, but you can kinda get where she's fromand why she acts how she acts through her dialouge and actions. Good writing

To be honest, I felt her "conspiracy theorist" was kind of annoying and didn't make sense given that she was raised in the jungle.

37 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Their actions make no sense a lot of the time with little or no motivations besides " we wanted to make a joke " or " we need to move the plot" . 

That's a common problem with the show.

5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Now having completely new characters with new backstories is totally fine. The issue is... they keep referencing these characters in humor and in temperament as the same as the original game counterparts. to start with knuckles, they decided " hey lets make knuckles dumb because he's dumb in the main games" but that's just it... he's not dumb in the main games, his gullible sometimes but the reason he's gullible is because he lived on an island tasked with protecting the master emerald separate from people in general and just wants to trust people because he doesn't have a family they even reference the family point in the show.

I'll point out that even the canon games had Knuckles portrayed as a buffoon who'd knock himself fighting Blaze. Forces even has Amy more or less say that Knuckles is too much of a screwup to be trusted to take part in an assault ("You mean the boy who smashes boulders like they're blocks isn't fit for battle?").

Maybe, maybe not. I think we will see some elements brought back feature games or other products like the comic. Scratch & Grounder are still around so does Sally and the  other Freedom Fighters. Their for I think we will see some elements from Sonic Boom taken over to other Sonic merchandise. But I do not think we will see any of those ideas in the main series. It would be very, very strange if Sticks suddenly is now a part of the main canon series. She didn't even got a real introduction in the Boom series so having her hanging around with the modern series characters like she was always a part of them would feel really weird. The Sonic lore is already a mess, we do not need more ideas that turning this series upside down.

I think Sticks will be used in some sot of form for future spinoff-games, Tv shows or comics but for the main series. She is probably the most memorable and most tolerable part of this awful series similar to Silver was for Sonic 06. But it also depends on how popular Sticks really is. For mer personally I see her as one of the worst written characters of this series. But that is just me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Swing said:

For mer personally I see her as one of the worst written characters of thsi series. But that is just me. 

Agreed. She felt very one-dimensional.