Awoo.

Is Sonic Boom finally dead?

Stritix

6 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Agreed. She felt very one-dimensional.

Maybe even the worst. She has no background, no backstory, we never found out how Sonic and the other met he rin this universe, she has no real chemistry with anybody besides maybe Amy and her personally goes no further than been crazy and paranoid. Even, I can not believe I'm saying this, but even Princess Elise is a way better written character than her. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Swing said:

Maybe even the worst. She has no background, no backstory, we never found out how Sonic and the other met he rin this universe, she has no real chemistry with anybody besides maybe Amy and her personally goes no further than been crazy and paranoid. Even, I can not believe I'm saying this, but even Princess Elise is a way better written character than her. 

I mean at least we Elise we got to know her backstory.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sticks is the weakest part of the show by a wide margin. Occasionally she's amusing, but she feels like a character ripped from a different show; like a one-shot character from Ed, Edd and Eddy or a character dumped into a sitcom without warning in a later season that everyone treats as an old friend. Even their attempts at making dedicated jokes around her are written differently from the rest of the show, since they have to structure them specifically as she's presented rather than even attempting to use any of her rapport with the others (since beyond them occasionally all being annoyed, she doesn't have any). She's not quite to Chris levels, but I imagine the only reason she isn't is because she is part of an ensemble rather than the show's focus.

• Thumbs Up 9

3 hours ago, Tornado said:

Sticks is the weakest part of the show by a wide margin. Occasionally she's amusing, but she feels like a character ripped from a different show; like a one-shot character from Ed, Edd and Eddy or a character dumped into a sitcom without warning in a later season that everyone treats as an old friend. Even their attempts at making dedicated jokes around her are written differently from the rest of the show, since they have to structure them specifically as she's presented rather than even attempting to use any of her rapport with the others (since beyond them occasionally all being annoyed, she doesn't have any). She's not quite to Chris levels, but I imagine the only reason she isn't is because she is part of an ensemble rather than the show's focus.

Problem with Sticks was that she was pretty flat because most of her character revolves around being paranoid. They never really tried changing things up with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I couldn’t care less if Sonic Boom doesn’t continue after the second season, and I know that sounds harsh but while the tv series was pretty funny at times I felt it was far too repetitive in the humour department. There aren’t any moments where characters relax and do something else, nope. Just joke after joke after joke. We didn’t even get an episode about how Sticks met the others! That’s like, one of the most common cartoon tropes ever and I was waiting for it and we didn’t get it. Even Marine has more backstory than Sticks! 

And don’t get me started on the terrible characterisation of Shadow, dear Lord. They made him a villain FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER. What’s his motive? Why does he hate Sonic and co so much? What’s even his fucking deal especially with him wanting to suddenly destroy the world (yeah yeah SA2 but that was different and made more sense than this!)?! It’s really stupid and awful and I don’t care if that battle between him, Sonic and Metal Sonic was “badass” or whatever, I can’t love it because Shadow is there for no reason. So, I’ll be glad to see the last of that shitty version of Shadow at least! 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/8/2017 at 2:05 PM, Gabz Girl said:

I couldn’t care less if Sonic Boom doesn’t continue after the second season, and I know that sounds harsh but while the tv series was pretty funny at times I felt it was far too repetitive in the humour department. There aren’t any moments where characters relax and do something else, nope. Just joke after joke after joke. We didn’t even get an episode about how Sticks met the others! That’s like, one of the most common cartoon tropes ever and I was waiting for it and we didn’t get it. Even Marine has more backstory than Sticks! 

And don’t get me started on the terrible characterisation of Shadow, dear Lord. They made him a villain FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER. What’s his motive? Why does he hate Sonic and co so much? What’s even his fucking deal especially with him wanting to suddenly destroy the world (yeah yeah SA2 but that was different and made more sense than this!)?! It’s really stupid and awful and I don’t care if that battle between him, Sonic and Metal Sonic was “badass” or whatever, I can’t love it because Shadow is there for no reason. So, I’ll be glad to see the last of that shitty version of Shadow at least! 

^This. While I did like the show at first (note I got into it earlier this year), it started to feel shallow since it depended too much on comedy. it did little to expand on its lore and develop the characters, and as I read opinions on it, I realized that they could have handled many characters (such as Amy) much better.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Oh shit I didn't know that many people didn't like sticks? You i'm kinda interested now if people actually like sticks?

She seemed popular enough to appear in one of the Olympic games.

13 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

She seemed popular enough to appear in one of the Olympic games.

Eh

Here's the thing though. The deadly 6 and Big the Cat show up in those games. You don't have to be popular sega just has to want to use you. So they could have just used her because she was recent and they made the character. Doesn't mean the audience actually likes it. Because I sure as hell know the deadly 6 ( outside of one character for a very specific use case ) didn't catch on with the general fanbse

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Sticks: lovely design, horrible character.

She's sooooo so so cute and I wish she just had a completely different personality 'cause I'd like her if it weren't for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2017 at 12:17 PM, dbzfan7 said:

Rise of Lyric showed that I believe...albeit poorly. Though how the entire circle of friends met in the first place is still up in the air.

To my recollection, Sticks was only an NPC in Rise of Lyric.  She had no bearing on the plot, aside from giving you a pointless fetch quest.

I never completed said fetch quest though so maybe there's more that I haven't seen.

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:24 PM, RedFox99 said:

Agreed. She felt very one-dimensional.

Sometimes she is badly written, most of the time she is just wasted, in the cartoon, I mean, she's just background fodder in most episodes, that's so sad. Competent writers just love her, and do her justice, like Alan Denton, Sam Freiberger, Ian Flynn, I love the way they write her. Obviously Sticks' character is not like that at all, if you say her concept is one dimensional and she has no depth and no potential... that's just wrong, for a joke character she's plenty of things, she is a conspiracy theorist, a cynical heroine, an expert hunter and survivalist, a lover of shiny objects, a wild and independent person, a good friend for Amy and a competent member of Team Sonic. A perfect fit for the cartoon, and the main franchise, if written properly. I love her so I'm biased, sorry.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Dr. Jack said:

Sometimes she is badly written, most of the time she is just wasted, in the cartoon, I mean, she's just background fodder in most episodes, that's so sad. Competent writers just love her, and do her justice, like Alan Denton, Sam Freiberger, Ian Flynn, I love the way they write her. Obviously Sticks' character is not like that at all, if you say her concept is one dimensional and she has no depth and no potential... that's just wrong, for a joke character she's plenty of things, she is a conspiracy theorist, a cynical heroine, an expert hunter and survivalist, a lover of shiny objects, a wild and independent person, a good friend for Amy and a competent member of Team Sonic. A perfect fit for the cartoon, and the main franchise, if written properly. I love her so I'm biased, sorry.

It's alright. I just find that a majority of the time writers more or less focused on her being a conspiracy theorist. 

21 hours ago, Gabz Girl said:

It’s really stupid and awful and I don’t care if that battle between him, Sonic and Metal Sonic was “badass” or whatever, I can’t love it because Shadow is there for no reason. So, I’ll be glad to see the last of that shitty version of Shadow at least! 

Technically he has a reason for been their. They only put him in to the whole Boom universe because he is popular. Doesn't matter if he fits the role or if the new writers even know anything about him, Sega just wanted him there because fans love him so much. Shadow at this point is nothing more than pure fanservice and no real character anymore.

5 hours ago, Tara said:

To my recollection, Sticks was only an NPC in Rise of Lyric.  She had no bearing on the plot, aside from giving you a pointless fetch quest.

I never completed said fetch quest though so maybe there's more that I haven't seen.

She is introduced in Rise of Lyric, which treats them meeting together for the first time. She acts like she's never seen the 4 of them before til now.

Sticks actually has the same problems like all the other characters. She is good in concept but horrible in execution. Sega really can not use their characters for good story telling or good character interactions. And I also think that Sega themselves do not bother to tell good stories with them. The reason for that is because most Sonic characters are more beloved because of their designs and not really their characters. This is also a reason why I think why characters like Elise, the Deadly Six or Chip are not so popular because of their very unusual design compare to that of the regular characters. They all would be way more respected by the community if all of them were typically , lanky designed animal people like Sonic and Co.

But anyway, my point is, Sticks like all other characters had huge potential to be a very good character, but Sega never bothered to write good characters because Sonic characters just must have a good design, the designs were always the driving force for this franchise.

• 3 months later...

I don't like Sticks as a character. Her design is uninteresting and her character is one dimensional. "Sticks" is also a ridiculous name. The series is known for unusual names such as "Tails" and "Knuckles" but "Sticks" just comes off as lame in comparison. Might as well call another character "Chair" the Hedgehog or something.

On 12/9/2017 at 5:36 AM, Sean said:

Sticks: lovely design, horrible character.

She's sooooo so so cute and I wish she just had a completely different personality 'cause I'd like her if it weren't for that.

The thing was that a majority of her character relied on her being a paranoid conspiracy theorist. It could've been nice if they did a lot more to showcase other parts of her character rather than that one trait. Same goes for Boom Knuckles in regards to her low intelligence. 

So, do you guys think any news regarding the Boom show will be announced tomorrow? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Stritix said:

I don't like Sticks as a character. Her design is uninteresting and her character is one dimensional. "Sticks" is also a ridiculous name. The series is known for unusual names such as "Tails" and "Knuckles" but "Sticks" just comes off as lame in comparison. Might as well call another character "Chair" the Hedgehog or something.

I'm ambivalent on Sticks, but the name seems more or less consistent with the other character names.  It's based on her boomerang, which is basically a fancy stick, and the boomerang also informs the appearance of her head; you might also say that she lives in the sticks, in the wilderness and the middle of nowhere.  It follows the theme of other major Sonic character names but perhaps isn't quite so prosaic.  I'm not sure I could've come up with a better name - or at least, the options I'm coming up with would all require her to have a different personality, but of course that might not be a problem...

Sticks' name is the least of her problems. When I imagine sticks, I imagine something earthy and rough but not like big and burly, and that's describes Sticks to a tee (even if she is eccentric). 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1

I’m not the biggest fan of Sticks, but I find it a little disingenuous to call her name ridiculous in a series where a fox with two tails is named “Tails,” the guy with spikes on his knuckles is named “Knuckles,” the guy with superspeed “Sonic,” and the robot that looks similar to him “Metal Sonic,” the overweight cat “Big,” the cat with fire powers “Blaze,” a black hedgehog as dark as a shadow being called “Shadow,” and the man shaped like an egg “Eggman.”

”Sticks” just follows that same pattern—very rarely does any character fall outside that in the games.

• Thumbs Up 9

I think it was time for the Sonic Boom to end. The best part was the cartoon and even that was not that great in my opinion. It best they move on to something better.

Everything related to Sonic Boom (even the song) has ended, so...I would assume so. 

Hopefully it comes back in a BIG way.

The only main character in the series that does not follow some goofy theme naming is Amy. It's a non-starter of an argument.

I certainly hope so. The brand has had enough of an identity crisis.

I couldn't stand what Boom did with the main cast; trying to be "hip and cool" using outdated memes (Snooping as usual... yuck) and internet speak. The whole "lol were like a sitcom!" just doesn't work with what the foundation of the Sonic series is.