Awoo.

Live Action Detective Pikachu Movie (Summer 2019)

8ther

This looks crazy fun, I just hope that it's as good as it seems like it should be.

Fantastic to see our old friend Jigglypuff returning with her trademark pen. That's gonna be hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am very impressed even if I'm not entirely on board with how they've done textures for some Pokemon. It's a very positive look and the writing feels really good and some of it sounds natural. I almost suspect that they got actually fun improv that they used for this. 

Oh and Rob Letterman and Nicole Perlman wrote the screenplay and script. Rob is a Dreamworks Animation veteran and Nicole? ... wrote Guardians of the Galaxy and is writing the upcoming Captain Marvel. And to think the team could have even had Alex Hirsch also writing. 

I think it's safe to say that this will be the first great videogame movie right now, some of those Greninjas be damned. Seriously though, like...

7d94aa41722823199a1a6371b93cf745.jpg

Would it have killed you to actually give them realistic frog eyes? A Tim Burton movie did nicer looking frogs than this. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Detective-Pikachu-Poster-2-1.jpg

A new poster dropped for the movie, too! You can get new looks at some of the Pokemon in this new trailer. I think there's also some we never saw renders of yet. Have we seen a Treecko yet? Because there he is.

• Thumbs Up 2

The new trailer definitely showed more Pokemon in CGI. While most of the Pokemon look good, some seem more...questionable (I’m looking at Aipom and Mewtwo). Regardless, I’m excited for this movie’s release.

I never expected a movie like this would have so much cyberpunk neon aesthetic to it (even if it's not the focus), and i love it.
Also, i never expected the yellow parts of a Ludicolo to be fur (or plant-based fur, you get what i mean).

The plot is quite bizzarre I have to say, not what I expected from Pokemon. Still, looks way better than recent Pokemon products, yeah… it seems genuinely wacky and fun, with lots of fanserivce.

I can’t help but feel they’re setting up that Detective Pikachu is his father or something turned into a Pokemon.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually liked this a lot.  It feels like something The Pokemon company would never make yet still is accurate to the source material. The humor and writing is excellent compared to that awful anime, but i kinda expected that when I heard Ryan Reynolds was involved. The thing i like the most though is how Pokemon are integrated into normal day to day life and in the seedy underbelly of the city.

• Thumbs Up 1

The plot for those unaware is literally the games. A lot are confused  by that as they never played it. But see this is how you do a movie and trailer. They have hype. The sonic movie has neatly none

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I can’t help but feel they’re setting up that Detective Pikachu is his father or something turned into a Pokemon.

I think the game was heading in that direction too

14 hours ago, Meta77 said:

The plot for those unaware is literally the games. A lot are confused  by that as they never played it. But see this is how you do a movie and trailer. They have hype. The sonic movie has neatly none

Not that I want to bring more stupid drama into the mix, but obviously here we got 2 trailers to give us hype. Meanwhile Sonic has… waiting angry fans looking at a couple of weird legs.

Anyway, this movie got me more interested in Pokemon again after recent games failed to achieve that, perhaps it could be the same for Sonic?

On 2/26/2019 at 7:40 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Spoiler

That was indeed played with  the Pikachu Detective game itself, where it was implied in the story and by Mewtwo that the protagonist father died but his Pikachu one way or another sacrificed (himself, his own vessel?) by switching their bodies, That orrrr they just switched bodies in a freak incident and  his Pikachu is now somewhere out there stuck in a human bod walking arround eating apples. The game ends before the story could reveal anything of the sort so I am wondering if we even get to see it in the movie in case Nintendo was planning a sequel for the game, im pretty sure they wanted to have the big reveal in their own game.

edit

Also

Spoiler

Mewtwo and Pikachu have a discussion in the game where Mewtwo tells Pikachu that humans cannot be trusted, Pikachu replies with that he is the tedious type, with Mewtwo replies with '' I say you are all the tedious type'' he's talking about humans, which most likely hints that Pikachu is Harry.

On 2/26/2019 at 6:08 PM, Marcello said:

New trailer! Careful, though, it shows a LOT.

I'm still loving what I'm seeing!

This is going to be fun! Coffee junkie Pikachu. 😆

After what happened with the Sonic movie... yea, this film is going to be the better one.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:51 PM, Failinhearts said:

Detective-Pikachu-Poster-2-1.jpg

A new poster dropped for the movie, too! You can get new looks at some of the Pokemon in this new trailer. I think there's also some we never saw renders of yet. Have we seen a Treecko yet? Because there he is.

Ah, my favourite is Snorlax at street level, blocking the road. It's like a nod to it's first appearance in the original Pokémon game.