Awoo.

Live Action Detective Pikachu Movie (Summer 2019)

8ther

30 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

The movie's getting its own TCG set, and with the revealed cards we have closer looks at some of the Pokemon designs.

Hope you like bug-eyed, prune-handed Mewtwo.

Spoiler

mewtwocard.jpg

DzccRPqWoAAJPl1.png

c23.gif

Will this psychic cat fetus's suffering ever end?

• 3 weeks later...

New trailer compilation, featuring Gyarados, Gengar, and Blastoise!

Spoiler

I can't believe they made the phrase "Mother of Arceus" canon. And they know the correct pronunciation, to boot!

On 4/5/2019 at 5:04 AM, Forte-Metallix said:

New trailer compilation, featuring Gyarados, Gengar, and Blastoise!

Hide contents

I can't believe they made the phrase "Mother of Arceus" canon. And they know the correct pronunciation, to boot!

The video is gone now.

BUT THAT DIDN'T STOP MR. DEADPOOL HIMSELF FROM POSTING THIS:

• Thumbs Up 3

I love this movie so chonkin' much.

The Pokemon look phenominal! They really do their designs justice on this medium! This really makes me hope that a Pokemon cinematic universe is a possibility.

• 2 weeks later...

May I ask: Is anyone kinda weirded out by how generally well received this movie has been since it started advertising?

On 4/23/2019 at 2:00 PM, DabigRG said:

May I ask: Is anyone kinda weirded out by how generally well received this movie has been since it started advertising?

Well, it's looked pretty good in every ad. it's funny and I really can't stress how nice the Pokemon look. It seems loyal to the overall feel of the game they're adapting, while managing their own vibe.

So if you ask me, I'm not weirded out by the reception, because that shows how well they're presenting this.

The fact that it looks this good? That's weirding me out a little. I haven't seen many video game movies, but just knowing about Mortal Kombat, Mario and even Sonic, Detective Pikachu's a step above. The changes that have been made are either an improvement or bearable at the absolute least. This makes me wonder if GF and/or the Pokemon Company have a say in the movie; I don't know if I'll believe they luckily came across an entire staff that would put this much care into a movie for a Pokemon Spinoff quite yet.

On 4/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, DabigRG said:

A little bit. I don't think it looks bad or anything, but I am definitely surprised by how receptive people are to it so far.

Well taking efforts to actually resemble the property they're adapting probably helps.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

(This is from another post I made in error as I didn't see this thread originally)

I just saw the movie! It was a fun time.  Here's my thoughts:

Spoiler

-LOTS of Pokemon in this movie from a lot of generations...Audino was a unique choice.  The Greninja scene was freakin' awesome...they really played up the horror movie aspect with em'.

-I forgot Bill Nighy was in this movie...I always associate him with Underworld but he does an okay job.  

-Ryan Reynolds actually makes a live action appearance in the movie.

-The actors didn't do a bad job.  The Pokemon were the stars of the show but the main human characters were fine as well.

-The story was actually good/okay...Ryan had the best lines.  Like I said in another thread, it's like a standard Pokemon movie but with live action actors.  It's nothing on the level of Infinity War but as a first live action Pokemon movie, I highly recommend it for the Pokemon alone.  It was a fun ride all the way through.

Mod edit: Please be courteous of spoilers, thanks.

@SatAMhog dude, spoiler warning please.

I just got back from seeing it, and I really liked it.

All I wanna say is if we don’t get an official release of the end credits artwork I’ll be sad. Seeing the actors being immortalised in Ken Sugimori artwork is just insanely awesome.

• Thumbs Up 3

Saw it today myself. I don't consider myself much of a Pokémon fan but I have an affection for the franchise to this day for it's character design and nostalgia for back when I was into it because EVERYONE was into it.

Was a pretty good time, nothing groundbreaking but yeah, good stuff. I think the highlights were the humour, animation, set design and acting on both Reynolds and the human cast's part. Soundtrack was pretty nice too.  The detective story twists were 50/50 - some are very predictable, others did manage to catch me out.

I have a few minor gripes however (late movie spoilers, be warned):

Spoiler

I do feel the first half of the movie was much more enjoyable than the second half. The second half becomes a much more typical family action/adventure romp, and that's kind of exactly what I expected. It's nice that they managed to make a ton of action scenes without the film having any actual typical "Pokémon Battles", but the action sequences themselves are all fairly typical "characters spend a while escaping from an insurmountable threat by a hair's breath at every turn" affairs without any PARTICULARLY interesting choreography going on.  Mewtwo as the final threat just feels a bit overdone and for nostalgia's sake, I wasn't super interested in seeing Mewtwo do Mewtwo stuff for the finale, and found myself far more invested in Tim and Pikachu's earlier detective antics in the movie than the movie's climax.

Additionally, I know it was necessary for the truth behind Harry's disappearance, but the whole shtick of the human bodies disappearing into the Pokémon bodies just overstepped the line where I could suspend my disbelief. I know it's a fantasy series and Pokémon can have whatever abilities the writers decide to give them, that one just felt a step too far for Mewtwo's background as a human-created lifeform etc (and obviously came out of nowhere compared to game canon).

These are all somewhat minor gripes though, the good far outweighed the bad, and the strong 80% of the movie more than makes up for having a slightly underwhelming climax.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was so good. I love this movie.

Spoiler

I saw some people calling the people/Pokemon merging weird, but I thought that it was a good lead up to confirm everyone's suspicion since the game.

The appearances of all the Pokemon were absolute treats. I can't stress how much I loved them.

Plus, I'd say that the changes made were pretty good ones. Especially Tim having issues with his father. They really fleshed him out for this.

Guys. I really want a PCU.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes 100% to a PCU.

Speaking of which, where would you want such a thing to go from here? It’d be hard to make a direct sequel to this movie, so what do you want out of any further movies?

I’m thinking something based on another spin-off game. Pokemon Snap would be a good option if they want to keep doing movies that don’t alienate general audiences.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I'd love to see something like Pokemon Ranger or Pokemon Mystery dungeon. The latter would probably be a hard sell, though.

• 3 weeks later...

So I watched this movie like on the weekend. 

Spoiler

I enjoyed the worldbuilding and pokemon designs, even if many felt too CG or creepy. It was believable, done in a way that encoruages you to imagine what kind of world it is. Idk how they chose which pokemon to include, but I think it was balanced well. The theater was laughing at the song reference. Wish they were able to invest in more pokemon designs, cuz after a while the lack of variety started to bother me. Also the lack of pokemons outside the city/town (minus the Bulbasaur scene) felt very weird.

As for the other parts, it was.....okay. The story was the weakest part of the movie: it felt disjointed, like they came up with certain scenes first and tried to connect each one later. It also bothered me that the protagonists didn't do anything. I wasn't expecting them to be badass or something, but they were so incompetent the villains had to literally go pick them up and feed them information. Tbh plot convenience/inconsistencies/errors were what made me enjoy the movie the most.

Also maybe it's just me not watching movies that much but the music got a bit distracting, especially at the end.

Overall, they had the finest ingredients but were only able to make a visually nice dish that tastes mediocre. I'm sure it's pretty decent for a game adaptation live action though.