Awoo.

Mega Man 11 Announced (Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) (Late 2018)

Zippo

2 minutes ago, JovahexeonXMAS Tron Bonne said:

Many fans have reported to have still not gotten their things sadly. Also,  I was including the portable ports in there as technically a reward via stretch goal.

Yeah I know, I cut that part out because I was only asking in relation the backer rewards part. Like I said when I got the belated ones I didn't get originally including the extra USBs and such I just assumed that was the wait over for backer rewards. Honestly didn't even expect to get them at the point they showed up.

This is pretty interesting:

I'm guessing this has to do with those gears. I expect the other Mega Mans to be referenced, too. Seems fitting considering this is the 30th-anniversary game.

• Thumbs Up 3

HOLY SHIT!!

I'd kinda want full gameplay styles based on other Rockmans and think there's a lot you can do there on top of weapon switching, but I'll take just super attacks if it turns out to be just that.

5 hours ago, Marcello said:

Is that Mecha Sonic third from the left?

D3zg8Pm.png

When your own creator won't do anything with you, i'd go off to another scientist that will too. :P

il3ZzUk.png

This image is great fun to dig into and analyse.  From the left:

1. Tall guy with numerous sets of curved horns and spikes.  There have been a few bosses in the various series based on stag beetles, right?  Looks like something along those lines.
  2. "Brick Man" (tentative).  He's surprisingly short, actually, which bodes well for the level of detail in the other Robot Masters.
  3. Spiky head and lithe body automatically suggests a speedy or electric-based character.  Stars are a possibility, I suppose, and the profile is also reminiscent of Gemini Man.
  4. Odd pincer-feet, maybe some kind of backpack - and there's just the hint of a horn or pointed head poking up above "NO"RMAL MODE.
  5. A very slender Robot Master, impossible to make out any details above the waist.
  6. Also very difficult to distinguish from the Robot Masters on either side, but appears to have a slim profile with legs together, hips with odd protrusions, there's a hint of a tiny neck between NORMA"L" and EXPER"T".  Could be a female Robot Master, if any of them are.
  7. Large profile, apparently sporting some kind of cape or long coat that flares at the feet and shoulders - or is that just Number 8's second arm?  Square-topped head regardless.  It's easy to imagine it as wearing a kind of fancy trenchcoat and top hat.
  8. Speaks for itself; massive and clunky, might just have wheels for feet, and there's an odd hollow area at its hip.  Its one visible arm appears to be a flat surface curved at an angle.

It's the Hard-Boiled Heavies all over again.  At least we know how many there are this time.

Maybe I've been hanging in the wrong places but I've seen quite a bit of negativity towards this reveal ("looks like MN9", "2.D was a mistake", yaddayadda) and I can't really see it? I'll admit I'd take sprites over 2.5D any day but this looks like a pretty good transition that manages to capture the 2D Megaman visual feel to me, and as a matter of fact, I'd say this is what I expected MN9 to look like (maybe with a bit more lighting tweaks).

That said, I also saw some things that I feel need changing. That running (more like walking) animation looks pretty bad, and Megaman both visually and audio-wise looks/sounds pretty emotionless. I'm sure the visual changes can be implemented in the coming year but I'm not so confident about the grunts.

All-in-all I'm interested (which makes me a lot more hopeful about possible incoming Capcom announcements), but not quite hyped. But that's mostly because I've always been more of an X/Zero/ZX guy.

EDIT: I'm totally getting that X collection tho.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, gato said:

EDIT: I'm totally getting that X collection tho.

Oh, right. I've seen people mention this multiple times in this thread and I keep forgetting to comment on it.

They didn't announce a collection. They just said they're releasing Mega Man X1-X8 on current consoles. Not once have they said anything about a collection. While I wouldn't completely rule out a collection, it definitely seems like these games will have to be bought separately.

I hope it's not a collection.

X1 and 4 are the only ones worth playing. Also I don't want X6 or 7 anywhere near my game library

5 hours ago, Sean said:

I hope it's not a collection.

X1 and 4 are the only ones worth playing. Also I don't want X6 or 7 anywhere near my game library

Apparently it's not they're releasing them all separately.

5 hours ago, gato said:

Maybe I've been hanging in the wrong places but I've seen quite a bit of negativity towards this reveal ("looks like MN9", "2.D was a mistake", yaddayadda) and I can't really see it?

Yea, I don't think there's anything to see, honestly. MM11's palette looks a lot more vibrant with better particle effects and visual flairs compared to MN9. Also, it looks like MM11 managed to translate it's 2D concept art a lot better.

The only thing that's truly out of whack is that running animation, though. Mega Man looks like he's power jogging on a beach shore line as your favorite TV show's credits roll before anything else. Certainly doesn't look he's determined to stop Dr. Wily. Personally, If they fix that, that'll alleviate most of the aesthetic for me alone. What's most important though is that Game Informer already said this game feels tight and responsive like what you'd expect from a Megaman game, so hopefully those who're trying to draw connections that aren't there will at least critique more on a gameplay note once more of MM11 is revealed.

10 minutes ago, StriCNYN3 said:

Mega Man looks like he's power jogging on a beach shore line as your favorite TV show's credits roll before anything else. Certainly doesn't look he's determined to stop Dr. Wily. 

Considering the producer thinks of Megaman as not really an action fighter, but instead a lab assistant that doesn't want to fight but has to, the walk cycle may be intentional.

Plus a go-gettem animation would look grating in this new style and design anyway. Smash 4 Megaman can do the old walk cycle right because he's stouter: the arms and legs don't have to deal with flailing swing arcs as he walks back and forth. This Megaman is a good foot taller with limbs to match; if he was moving his limbs as steadily as Smash 4 Megaman was in the same rate of time, Megaman would look coked up and hyper, incongruous with this enlightened characterization.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just gonna do a very poor job at illustrating why I don't like Mega Man's run cycle that much.

So here we have him:

lOzp071.gif

It's not the worst in the world, but there's something off about it.  Weight.  Weight is off about it.  So typically whenever you create a run or walk cycle, there's a sort of "headline" that you have to pay attention to.

x6tfIBI.jpg 

The headline is normally drawn at the point at which the foot makes contact with the ground.  Run cycles are a bit different as your leg doesn't normally straighten out as much when making the pass, but the basic principle still applies.  Mega Man's run cycle here isn't really much of a typical run though, as he's not moving that fast.

I drew a poor headline at the point of contact, which is roughly about here:

LvqvcFe.png

It's like a pixel too high but whatever.

LaegKK7.gif

So what I see going on here is that Mega Man is just barely tapping the head line in his high point.  A way to fix this would be to extend his leg a bit when he's making the pass.  His head bob would be much more prominent and that'd make it look like he's interacting with and pushing off from the ground rather than gliding along it like he currently does.  The camera is often going to be pulled back away from him too, so making that weight more prominent should be a must.  Mighty No. 9 does this rather well honestly, maybe they go too far in the other extreme where it's a bit excessive, but at the very least Beck looks like he's pushing off from the ground when he moves.

They could also make some of the extremes when his hands are raised in the air a bit more prominent, and make his run a little less uniform looking, but yeah, the weight of him moving that bugs me.

• Thumbs Up 4

21 hours ago, A 3 KINGS Heavy engine said:

I hope dr. Wily keeps his megaman 8 redesign:5a261e5aecf67_download(31).jpg.91c15f9c92ec636965c1e8c8832ddd46.jpg

Instead of just a boring ol' lab coat.

Fraid not man. They showed part of Wily's design breifly in the stream. He's keeping his lab coat but he's sporting a black shirt (and vest?) with a red tie.

7 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Apparently it's not they're releasing them all separately.

And thank god for it. It's always a bad feeling when you boot up X2 and 5-7 are to remind you how bad the series got.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Santamus Prime said:

Fraid not man. They showed part of Wily's design breifly in the stream. He's keeping his lab coat but he's sporting a black shirt (and vest?) with a red tie.

So something like this?

MM11 Wily Mockup.png

1 hour ago, Santamus Prime said:

And thank god for it. It's always a bad feeling when you boot up X2 and 5-7 are to remind you how bad the series got.

Thankfully there's always X8 to show that the series got the rehab it desperately needed.

30 minutes ago, Tailikku said:

So something like this?

MM11 Wily Mockup.png

Similar to that yeah, though they didn't show the entire outfit.

10 minutes ago, JovahexeonXMAS Tron Bonne said:

Thankfully there's always X8 to show that the series got the rehab it desperately needed.

Yeah, and honestly I respect the hell out of what they did with the finale.

Edit: We get a sneak preview here, though its over shadowed by translation text

snapshot.thumb.jpg.8f1b90d6439e52cf6c2b8bd896a4618c.jpg

32 minutes ago, Santamus Prime said:

Edit: We get a sneak preview here, though its over shadowed by translation text

snapshot.thumb.jpg.8f1b90d6439e52cf6c2b8bd896a4618c.jpg

Looks like I was right, that is for the top part of his outfit, the jeans are a mystery at this point.  But it also looks like our favorite useless item dispenser is back.

• Chuckle 1

On 12/5/2017 at 12:58 PM, A 3 KINGS Heavy engine said:

I wonder why dr. Light's robots go rogue again...

That was only the case in 1, 9 and sorta 3. It probably won't be the case in 11.

15 hours ago, Santamus Prime said:

X5 has some problems in the weird random factor to the end game you get and levels not actually being designed to accommodate how Zero plays even though he's a fully playable character. But it's far from a bad game. The parts where it's being a series send off are amazing and overall it's a good game with some misteps. Weakest of 1-5 sure, but don't be dropping it in the dumpster fire that X6 and X7 are going in.

24 minutes ago, ZERO_ninja said:

That was only the case in 1, 9 and sorta 3.

I appreciate that 9 at least came up with a better fleshed story explanation for such.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JovahexeonXMAS Tron Bonne said:

I appreciate that 9 at least came up with a better fleshed story explanation for such.

I think 1 and 3's explanations were fleshed out as much as 9's. The only real difference is you get a bit more attention to it in game which I definitely agree is nice but most of that came down to technology allowing it more than it did in the NES games.

Though personally I'm not the biggest fan of the 9 story. It's IntiCreates bringing some of their Zero series story themes to the Classic series. While I like the story in the Zero games a lot, that was a bit out of place in Classic and contradicted the established lore for that era of the timeline.