Awoo.

Mega Man 11 Announced (Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) (Late 2018)

Zippo

14 hours ago, Sean said:

I'll get hype only if Roll is playable this time.

If she is, I hope she plays like in Powered Up:

5 hours ago, ZERO_ninja said:

Though personally I'm not the biggest fan of the 9 story. It's IntiCreates bringing some of their Zero series story themes to the Classic series. While I like the story in the Zero games a lot, that was a bit out of place in Classic and contradicted the established lore for that era of the timeline.

I believe that this plot was partially because of Mega Man & Bass, thanks to King leading a revolt against the humans roping in one of Light's Robots (Cold Man), one of Wily's (Burner Man), Tengu Man who also roped in Astro Man, and three third parties (Magic, Dynamo, Pirate), as well as making his own (Ground Man).  This revolt is also used as part of 8-bit Deathmatch's way of explaining the plot of MM9 (despite it being a fan project, which needs a version 8 after MM11 is added) as the expiration dates were about to be mandated when King announced his rebellion, and the put into effect when the Genesis Unit is defeated, kicking off the plot of MM9.

6 hours ago, ZERO_ninja said:

X5 has some problems in the weird random factor to the end game you get and levels not actually being designed to accommodate how Zero plays even though he's a fully playable character. But it's far from a bad game. The parts where it's being a series send off are amazing and overall it's a good game with some misteps. Weakest of 1-5 sure, but don't be dropping it in the dumpster fire that X6 and X7 are going in.

I consider X5 bad enough to be lumped in with 6 even if it's better by a technicality. It just has a different set of problems, but the level design is still atrocious and the general flow of the game is very stop-and-go compared to X1, 2, and 4. I didn't have fun with it at all.

I also don't get what people think made X8 so great when it only seemed good due to the X series coming off a string of even worse games. X and Axl play really well (Zero is garbage), but there's only one level in the entire game that I enjoyed.

9 hours ago, ZERO_ninja said:

That was only the case in 1, 9 and sorta 3. It probably won't be the case in 11.

X5 has some problems in the weird random factor to the end game you get and levels not actually being designed to accommodate how Zero plays even though he's a fully playable character. But it's far from a bad game. The parts where it's being a series send off are amazing and overall it's a good game with some misteps. Weakest of 1-5 sure, but don't be dropping it in the dumpster fire that X6 and X7 are going in.

Ignoring how the game basically can cheat you out of all your hard work and effort by stealing the best ending out from under the player, X5 is also bad because it's stages, power ups and how they're given and placed are so poorly thought out. Duff McWhalen's being the worst example, since you gotta visit that auto-scroller two/three times. You can't equip individual armor on anymore and one of them is only there for getting like two power-ups. That's bad.

Then there's Sigma's entire plan that makes no sense, the introduction of new supporting characters and side antagonists that have zero character, and some of the most obvious nostalgia pandering you'll ever see.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 05/12/2017 at 12:58 PM, A 3 KINGS Heavy engine said:

I wonder why dr. Light's robots go rogue again...

Well, this whole gear system is meant to be really important to the game, right?  The Japanese subtitle is "Gear of Doom," or Fate, or Foreboding Destiny In General.  So I'd put down a theory like this: Dr. Light invents this new gear system, whatever it is, and installs it successfully in Mega Man.  He then has it mass-produced for his other robots - but Dr. Wily infiltrates the factory and contaminates the gears with, I don't know, Wily Nanomachines or something, causing the robots with the new gears to go berserk.  Mega Man is the only one left uncontaminated and thus the only one who can overcome the threat of the gear-equipped Robot Masters.  Also, why not, the gear factory becomes this game's Wily Fortress.

Never too early for wild speculation.

• Thumbs Up 2

An interesting topic (or, an annoying one for those who love progressive activism or whatever) from Rockman corner that updated

http://www.rockman-corner.com/2017/12/mega-man-11-details-from-game-informers.html#more

• MM11 will not have a female Robot Master. Oda said, "There was actually a female Robot Master at the concept stage [for Mega Man 11], but when we paired up all the different weapons, she was one of the Robot Masters that didn't make the cut. We definitely feel like there are plenty of opportunities to add female Robot Masters in the future. This is one of those things where we feel like it's all about what fits best for each occasion, and there are those occasions where a female would be more appropriate than a male."

While a side of the fanbase will be pissed off, I'm happy they focused on making the game good.
Better to put in what fits and works, than try to force something in just to be "progressive". 

• Thumbs Up 3

That seems like a petty weak excuse for not having female Robot Masters. Typically Rock's weapons are based off elements or different weapons and such. I really have my doubts you couldn't match a theme of a female master to a weapon. Especially when they could swap designs so easily for the likes of MM9 where Vesper Woman became Hornet Man. There's no real reason the characters gender would effect how good or bad the game is.

I mean, this is coming from someone who was introduced to the series through Archie MM, where you also had the likes of Tempo and a redesigned Vesper who were actually pretty fun and interesting characters, especially with the likes of Vesper being a snarky bouncy little sister character to Quake Woman. It kinda sucks we're just getting that standard Robot Master sets from the first eight games and ten. Doesn't help that I remember the likes of Quake Woman, Splash Woman, and Vesper Woman over the majority of masters post Mega Man 4.

• Thumbs Up 2

I read the reason more as "the female character we designed ended up not fitting with the game" and from there they didn't feel the need to redesign someone else just to check the box of including a female robot master. Rather than outright saying a female robot master of any kind wouldn't fit the game.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

That seems like a petty weak excuse for not having female Robot Masters. Typically Rock's weapons are based off elements or different weapons and such. I really have my doubts you couldn't match a theme of a female master to a weapon. Especially when they could swap designs so easily for the likes of MM9 where Vesper Woman became Hornet Man. There's no real reason the characters gender would effect how good or bad the game is.

I mean, this is coming from someone who was introduced to the series through Archie MM, where you also had the likes of Tempo and a redesigned Vesper who were actually pretty fun and interesting characters, especially with the likes of Vesper being a snarky bouncy little sister character to Quake Woman. It kinda sucks we're just getting that standard Robot Master sets from the first eight games and ten. Doesn't help that I remember the likes of Quake Woman, Splash Woman, and Vesper Woman over the majority of masters post Mega Man 4.

That is subjective. I like Splash and Honey, but I didn't like Quake and Vesper's design. And I don't think their gender was related to what kind of character they were.

And we're talking about design/appearance here, not personality or character. We don't know how much the robots are given character in the new game, but in past series they were just bosses with some personality but didn't really effect the plot. The comic is different because they're created for different reasons:development and focus/contribution to the plot.

1 hour ago, ZERO_ninja said:

I read the reason more as "the female character we designed ended up not fitting with the game" and from there they didn't feel the need to redesign someone else just to check the box of including a female robot master. Rather than outright saying a female robot master of any kind wouldn't fit the game.

Yeah, pretty much. It's like being hired for a job. Instead of being chosen because "we need a women in our workplace even if they don't fit our needs, or else people will think we're discriminating", they just chose the ones that matched out of a list of candidates. They're just prioritizing the need of the workplace. 

As they said, "This is one of those things where we feel like it's all about what fits best for each occasion."  It's not that they didn't choose a female just because. The female just happen to be one of several designs that wasn't chosen because it didn't fit what they want to make. That's it. We've seen concept art of 9 and 10, with a list of design for one RM that didn't make it for various reasons. It's like that, where one (or more) was a girl. And she wasn't chosen because her weapon didn't fit.

I'd say people should be happy just to know there were female designs in concept. They even said there are willing to add female characters in the future (if they are good enough).

I'd prefer good characters rather than a character made to fill the status quo. And we need to question "Do I like this character because it's a female, or because they are good?" There are times when it's both, but I see a lot of people believe the character is good because it's progressive and dismiss the bad flaws for it.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, KoDaiko said:

That is subjective. I like Splash and Honey, but I didn't like Quake and Vesper's design. And I don't think their gender was related to what kind of character they were.

And we're talking about design/appearance here, not personality or character. We don't know how much the robots are given character in the new game, but in past series they were just bosses with some personality but didn't really effect the plot. The comic is different because they're created for different reasons:development and focus/contribution to the plot.

Yeah, pretty much. It's like being hired for a job. Instead of being chosen because "we need a women in our workplace even if they don't fit our needs, or else people will think we're discriminating", they just chose the ones that matched out of a list of candidates. They're just prioritizing the need of the workplace. 

Obviously you shouldn't be making the character to just "check a box", but when you're in a series like Mega Man of all things, the character's gender shouldn't have any kind of prominence because it's not like only male masters get certain kinds of weapons while women masters get others. There's literally no "oh we have to compromise our characters" or "we can't fit a female master in here" when the very basis of the Robot Masters is fitting a robot master around a theme. 

If anything, it's an even sillier excuse to say you couldn't fit one in any given game because you're literally just picking a theme and designing a character around it. Literally any theme can work for a robot master male or female. Again, as shown clearly with how easily and quickly they decided to charge Honey Woman into Hornet Man. 

If they didn't want to make a female Robot Master for 11, that's fine, but the idea of "we couldn't fit one in because they wouldn't fit with the game's design" is utterly ludicrous. This is the same series with the likes of fucking Toad Man, Turbo Man, Cloud Man, and Baseball Man. I'm pretty damn sure it's not that difficult to fit a theme around a female character for MM11.

Honestly, I would've preferred an excuse like "As our first big game in years, we decided to take a slightly back to basics approach and have the robot masters replicate that of the standard lineup in a sense", or not say anything at all.

Again, it's not the case that a female character isn't present in the game because as long as the robot masters look cool, and memorable, then it'll be fine, but rather the actual reasoning itself makes absolutely no sense in a series as creative as this. 

• Thumbs Up 4

To be honest, this seems like a catch 22 to me.  If they say nothing then they're shitty for having no excuse, but if they provide a reason then they get shit on for having a poor excuse.  It's a no win situation.

In the interest of fairness, however, I'd like to point out that Inti Creates made Mega Man 9, and 11 is being made in house.  It's entirely reasonable for different design philosophies to be at play here.  The gender of a robot master may not have mattered for the character designer(s) of 9, but maybe it matters a lot more for the designer(s) of 11.

• Thumbs Up 6

27 minutes ago, G-Force said:

To be honest, this seems like a catch 22 to me.  If they say nothing then they're shitty for having no excuse, but if they provide a reason then they get shit on for having a poor excuse.  It's a no win situation.

In the interest of fairness, however, I'd like to point out that Inti Creates made Mega Man 9, and 11 is being made in house.  It's entirely reasonable for different design philosophies to be at play here.  The gender of a robot master may not have mattered for the character designer(s) of 9, but maybe it matters a lot more for the designer(s) of 11.

i think the more probable possibility here is that in-house doesn't care about gender either, but instead of being more inclusive, they just went with the traditional all male line up because of the reasons stated above.

It's good for people to have characters they can empathise with, one way or another, and it's interesting when design standards have scope for variety.  But in Mega Man's case, there's a bit of a messy legacy issue that constrains the developers' approach.  Calling the Robot Masters Thisman and Thatman for years even though they're robots who mostly have no gender coding whatsoever...  If they'd all been called This/Thatbot instead, well, we'd have empathised less because that's just what happens when you give something an "it" pronoun in English, but people would also have drawn their own conclusions which might have differed from the canon we've got.  Other franchises would say you don't even need especial coding to call a robot male or female - consider the Hard-Boiled Heavies, for instance, and the female Mighty Numbers are pretty subtle - and I'm also thinking about the Body Swap function in Shovel Knight, where half the characters could have been female anyway and nobody would have known.  Mega Man has to approach things a bit differently because of the precedent they've set, but that same precedent via Splash Woman (and I suppose Roll) also indicates that female Robot Masters open the series up to more design possibilities, which is a good thing.  But that doesn't necessarily mean all those concepts will end up in the developers' top eight, though it's a shame if none of them do.  I'd agree that it probably just wasn't a priority for them.  Nice to know that there were concepts; would've been nicer to see them in the game, but it's a pretty conservative series from a pretty conservative society, so the reality won't always meet our expectations, unfortunately.  I think there are more female characters in the subsequent Mega sub-series, aren't there?  I know you could choose from characters of each gender in the ZX games.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Obviously you shouldn't be making the character to just "check a box", but when you're in a series like Mega Man of all things, the character's gender shouldn't have any kind of prominence because it's not like only male masters get certain kinds of weapons while women masters get others. There's literally no "oh we have to compromise our characters" or "we can't fit a female master in here" when the very basis of the Robot Masters is fitting a robot master around a theme. 

If anything, it's an even sillier excuse to say you couldn't fit one in any given game because you're literally just picking a theme and designing a character around it. Literally any theme can work for a robot master male or female. Again, as shown clearly with how easily and quickly they decided to charge Honey Woman into Hornet Man. 

If they didn't want to make a female Robot Master for 11, that's fine, but the idea of "we couldn't fit one in because they wouldn't fit with the game's design" is utterly ludicrous. This is the same series with the likes of fucking Toad Man, Turbo Man, Cloud Man, and Baseball Man. I'm pretty damn sure it's not that difficult to fit a theme around a female character for MM11.

Honestly, I would've preferred an excuse like "As our first big game in years, we decided to take a slightly back to basics approach and have the robot masters replicate that of the standard lineup in a sense", or not say anything at all.

Again, it's not the case that a female character isn't present in the game because as long as the robot masters look cool, and memorable, then it'll be fine, but rather the actual reasoning itself makes absolutely no sense in a series as creative as this. 

Ok, it got pretty long so here:

Spoiler

I think that was the reason there is only one female RM in MM9. I’m sure they specifically wanted to add a female robot master. They originally had Ocean and Honey, then Inafune brought Splash to replace Ocean. Since this was the first time introducing a female boss, they played it safe and wanted to only introduce one. So they swapped Honey for Hornet.

But this current team is different from the old one. While they were aware of public activism for female representation in fictional work, which is probably why they decided to reveal such information, they weren’t willing to let that affect their development. I'm sure he meant "we had some other designs, but they didn’t make it because they didn't fit what we wanted in this game. Their gender? one of them was female", not “We scrapped a character because she's female”.

“Fit a theme around a female robot master” isn't how they design. That’s p much saying gender is important, which is true in RL but not in a fictional game that existed for 10 plus years where 99% of the robots are male. Representation is important but if that’s how the fictional world worked, no need to force change to match RL. The future series are more progressive, but overall the Classic world is pretty conservative and “traditional”.

As you also say, it’s "fitting a robot master around a theme”. And I'm sure there are design rules. That why we got Splash and Ocean- both were created under the same theme of ocean with the sub-theme of surfing+merman(masculine) and mermaid(feminine). Even for Honey and Hornet, they are both bee-themed but one is “honey”bee while the other is a hornet. Their visual also looked very feminine: with eyelashes, bodyshape, skinny arms for Splash, and a round metallic dress for Honey, to separate from the males.

This is mostly my guess but Splash wasn't chosen because she was a female, but because she had a better design than Ocean. On the other hand Honey was created with the intent of introducing a female robot, and ironically replaced due to that. And when they had to make a male Honey, it wasn’t easy. It’s not like the Polar Bear bot in MMZ or the water bot in MN9 where you can slap on the gender later. They have to go through the entire process of designing a masculine Bee-themed robot. Have you seen the various idea for Hornet? The first one, Sting man, looked like a genderswap version of Honey but he was scrapped.

4 hours ago, G-Force said:

P much.  If they say "we don't have female characters" people will criticize for not considering. If they say "they considered but didn't because [reason]" people won't believe and  criticize for making excuses. If they DID add a female character, I am sure people will still criticize for whatever reason they come up with. 

On a change of subjects, I wonder when they'll announce a new X game? X makes appearances in other games, is producing goods and is gonna release a collection, just like Classic Mega man did before the announcement. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I'm not a Megaman fan but based on what I saw it... looks like something I suppose.

It looks fairly simple. Nothing really blew me away when it came to the graphics or what was happening with the gameplay there. 

Can Beck be the main villain though? I'd appreciate that a lot. 

On 12/6/2017 at 8:43 PM, Zippo said:

scan_4.jpg

Here's more concept art as well as our first real look at Wily. 

Wily's looking somewhat Ariga-esque there. I like it. Roll's new design is pretty cute, too.

Hmm I wonder...

Since Mega man is "alive" again, with this much attention, maybe some company will do a comic on Megaman. Will Archie end the "hiatus"? Or will IDW decide to take Megaman with his blue friend? It would be interesting if both company did a Megaman comic.

I know people want IDW to pick up from where Archie left off, but I'd prefer IDW to be a new series like Sonic will be and hope Archie can handle their own adaption.

• 2 months later...

I've tried to enjoy Mega Man a lot of times. From first Mega Man titles to Mega Man X branch. I guess I'm not used to the 80s-90s difficulty levels, but I've given up playing it 5 or 6 times because I get killed so easily XD

2 hours ago, molul said:

I guess I'm not used to the 80s-90s difficulty levels

Fan of Classic Sonic/Ristar/Whatever else.

@

Thinks that Megaman is way too difficult and that it's 80's-90's difficulty levels.

As for me personally, the only difficult Megaman game is the Japanese Rockman 2, cos that forces you to play on hard mode. Like, the other games have passwords/infinite continues/save systems/shops and all that jazz.

Heck, Capcom's "Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers" for the NES is harder than most Megaman games. At least that one has limited continues.