Awoo.

Soul Calibur VI (Does your soul still burn)

Meta77

Even for everything wrong with this game right now it's the only game that I'm looking forward to at the moment so it really bothers me that it feels like Bandai Namco is seemingly trying to do everything in it's power to kill it. Honestly, who's bright idea was it to have Tira in the ranked beta this weekend with no intentions of just making her free day one DLC. Considering if the game doesn't sell well that'll be the end of one of my favorite game series moves like this just seem scummy with no other intent than to kill it as maliciously as possible.

On 9/19/2018 at 11:06 AM, Teoskaven said:

Is that Dante's Stinger as his super? lmao
Anyway, if this is the last character shown before launch i'd say the roster is still pretty weak; i always mained Cervantes when none of my other mains are around so i can be considered satisfied, but i wanna hope the DLC plan will be strong, otherwise i think it will be hard for this title to survive.

How is the roster weak? All of the Soul Calibur veterans are here.

Barely, and with obvious glaring exclusions like Lizardman, Rock and Hwang. And this alone composes almost the entire roster.
Then you have like 2 other veterans (of wich only Zasalamel is refreshing since he skipped V), with potentially others relegated as DLC.
And then only 2 new characters (not counting the guest). I get that the newcomers aboundance in V was not well recieved, but this is the other extreme imho.

That's 20 characters at launch with basically just the core bone of the franchise and almost no meat attached to it. Yes, the create-a-soul option is still fantastic and it's amazing you can have your own personal story mode tied to that, but it's a jarring evident note nontheless; Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite had a bigger roster at launch, to put in prospective.
DLC will probably improve that if Tira being the first character is anything to go by, at the very least.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

Barely, and with obvious glaring exclusions like Lizardman, Rock and Hwang. And this alone composes almost the entire roster.
Then you have like 2 other veterans (of wich only Zasalamel is refreshing since he skipped V), with potentially others relegated as DLC.
And then only 2 new characters (not counting the guest). I get that the newcomers aboundance in V was not well recieved, but this is the other extreme imho.

That's 20 characters at launch with basically just the core bone of the franchise and almost no meat attached to it. Yes, the create-a-soul option is still fantastic and it's amazing you can have your own personal story mode tied to that, but it's a jarring evident note nontheless; Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite had a bigger roster at launch, to put in prospective.
DLC will probably improve that if Tira being the first character is anything to go by, at the very least.

Actually I did noticed that. There is a disturbing lack of a few very classic Veteran characters. And I do share the sentiment with many others on the idea of Tira being DLC odd. Though maybe we do get the last remaining vets as DLC too. That could help make the DLC thing a bit more viable. But if the remaining missing vets are actually put in and they still leave Tira as the only DLC character. Then I really do have questions to why then.

The Create a Soul thing felt a bit jarring for me too. It's to a point where I may not touch it this time. And usually the it's the one function I'd find a lot of enjoyment in using, if I do not feel like doing the typical stuff. Then again, there was the campaign in SC3 that did the same thing with Create a Soul. Except the custom creation and extra story were separate from eachother, since it had it's own Create A Soul generator for it.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:57 AM, Teoskaven said:

Rock is basically Astaroth though, it'd be like having a clone character. It's a shame Lizardman and Hwang/Yun Seong aren't in. But honestly, I think the roster is solid despite only having 20 characters. It's not like MvC Infinite, because that was not just terrible due to the small character roster, but also due to most the characters being uninteresting. All the characters here are the core cast.

I do think they could have had more new characters though.

Well then. They brought the big bad back from the grave. Inferno hasn't been seen since Soul Calibur 2. And honestly, it feels good to see him again after his long absence. And from the sounds of it, he is going to pull something similar to what he did in Soul Edge possibly in this game. Though it also looks like he is pulling a Night Terror at the same time.

Also it's interesting seeing Inferno use Nightmare's style of fighting.

• 3 weeks later...

So a new DLC character was announced and its a pretty big one.

Welp I found a new main. She looks really fun to play as and really looks like she plays how she did from Automata.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm guessing this is why Noctis was instead the guest of Tekken 7 (missed opportunity here, Keiichi Okabe has been a stable Tekken composer/sound designer for so long).
But on the plus side, the create-a-soul options that will sprout from this will be very interesting.

• 9 months later...

https://gematsu.com/2019/08/soulcalibur-vi-dlc-character-cassandra-launches-august-5-season-pass-2-featuring-haohmaru-from-samurai-shodown-announced

Announced at EVO.
After Amy being announced as the DLC character after 2B (https://gematsu.com/2019/02/soulcalibur-vi-dlc-character-amy-announced), the last one for season 1 is Cassandra, as people speculated.

But it's not the end, season 2 is coming and other than a heavy game rebalance in form of patch notes wich will add adjustments and new moves, we'll get 4 more DLC characters, the first of wich is another guest: Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown:

Gotta say, Bamco is really enjoying having guest fighters in its games these days.