Awoo.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Lord & Miller, 2018)

Marcello

This has to be one of the most unique artstyles I've ever seen in an animated movie. I am onboard for this.

I'm digging the entire animation style but honestly I'd rather they went for anything else other than Spider-Verse. Like this is the first Miles Morales film, don't really want that being downplayed in favor of all the others.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, Boomer said:

I'm digging the entire animation style but honestly I'd rather they went for anything else other than Spider-Verse. Like this is the first Miles Morales film, don't really want that being downplayed in favor of all the others.

This is what I was thinking, it's not like Miles doesn't have enough source material from his own books to use in a movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if they'll ask Toby McGuire and Andrew Garfield to make some cameos or maybe even supporting roles as some of the other Spider-Men. Imagine if they got Toby, Andrew and Tom all appearing in the film as their variations of Spider-Men. 

Would also love if we could get the animated Spidey voices in to voice some of the other Spideys. Similar to what Shattered Dimensions did. At the very least, I'd love to see Josh Keaton again.

About freaking time Sony Animation got their act together long enough to make a decent film and thank god it's with the Spider-Man one.  Spider-Verse is a bit predictable and almost tired at this point, but if Tobey's back, then I really wouldn't mind whatsoever.  Really loving the look of it too and best of all Alex hasn't let me down in the past and I doubt he's going to with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am in love with this style.

You bet your ass I'm going to see this flick. Spider-Man, animated, Lord and Miller? Checks off all my boxes.

You sure this is a Lord/Miller movie? Cause man, this looks a lot different from their usual work! Granted it's still too early to tell, but it's a lot different from how I imagined it when it was first announced.

Personally, Lord/Miller are kind of a mixed bag for me... On one hand you can tell they and everyone working with them are having a blast with the movie, and it shows in the final product. On the other hand, I feel like they tend to rely too much on comedy... In most of the movies of theirs I've seen, it always seems like that whenever things are about to get kind of serious, they end up throwing mood whiplashing jokes to keep it from getting serious. I could probably see how some would enjoy that, but it's something that bugs me time to time.

But this definately looks like something different, and while I'm expecting Phil Lord and Chris Miller's signature meta sense of humor (Cause, come on, it's a multiverse story, how could they not?) If this film manages to strike the perfect balance between comedy and drama, or feels a little different than most of their other works. then I think this would change my opinion of the duo.

Of course, my unpopular opinion aside, the stop animation-esque and comic book style is really pleasing to the eye. I'm really interested in seeing where this goes, and hopefully it'll be a step up from Sony's usual animation ventures.

Someone finally stepped up and said lets make a COMIC BOOK MOVIE

wNPgIao.gif

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL. THIS IS THE SPIDER-MAN I ALWAYS WANTED.

My boy miles starring on top of that.Fuck yes.

• Thumbs Up 8

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Someone finally stepped up and said lets make a COMIC BOOK MOVIE

wNPgIao.gif

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL. THIS IS THE SPIDER-MAN I ALWAYS WANTED.

My boy miles starring on top of that.Fuck yes.

Oh I just noticed who he's chasing down. It's the Ultimate Universe Prowler.

AKA

Spoiler

Miles's Uncle Aaron

Watching the trailer over and over, I am in LOVE with the visual style. And I am very interested to see what this movie will do with the Spider-Verse concept... It's already giving Miles his first movie appearance, so what else?

I think this movie is going to interpret the "Spider-Verse" title in a very loose way. As in, instead of a movie focusing on Spider-Men in different universes, it's going to be about Miles Morales in the Ultimate Universe tracking down people who were bit by the same kind of radioactive spider(s) that bit him. And that all of these other spider-empowered people will likely have little-to-nothing to do with any of the official Spider-Men like 2099, Noir, Scarlet Spider, Spider-Girl, Spider-Gwen, Superior, etc. Hence why the guy Miles is talking to at the end of the trailer doesn't look like any of the Spider-Men I'm familiar with. The main villain voiced by Liev Schreiber is also being kept a secret, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a brand new character/reinterpretation that has spider powers too.

So essentially, I'm expecting the Spider-Man version of DC comic stories like "We Are Robin", "Battle for the Cowl" and "Reign of the Supermen" told within the scope of a Miles Morales origin story. Basically, there's gonna be a bunch of people with spider powers teaming up and fighting each other to determine how to honor Peter Parker's legacy. Which is an interesting and cool premise since Miles had to deal with the pressure of becoming the new official Spider-Man.

Maybe this movie can spawn a Spider-Verse franchise where each movie installment focuses on a different alternate Spider-Man universe, hence the title. But this movie looks like it's going to solely focus on Miles Morales. So yeah, that "Spider-Verse" title is misleading.

Love the comic book-y/stop motion-esque art-style though. I dig the red in Miles' costume being spray painted on as well. More superhero costumes should deviate away from spandex and capes for the sake of tradition.

Fun fact though, Sony is going to get most/all of this movie's profits. The deal they made with Marvel was basically that Marvel Studios gets all of the money for Spider-Man films set in the MCU while Sony gets all of the movies for Spider-Man films taking place outside of MCU continuity like this film and the Venom movie.

Trailer looks great, though I do find Miles a bit bland but he's in a unique position with the worlds view to give him a benefit most other legacy characters don't get so of course he gets the push. Ah well, hopefully with the whole Spider-Verse angle we can get some of the more interesting Spider-Man offshoots in the film too.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, ZERO_ninja said:

though I do find Miles a bit bland but he's in a unique position with the worlds view to give him a benefit most other legacy characters don't get so of course he gets the push.

I thought I was the only one who thought that lol. I've read his entire Ultimate Universe run before migrating to the main Earth-616 universe, and his story arcs are decent. But I find Miles himself to hop between being bland or "Peter Parker, but with minority struggles". And even then, a lot of those struggles are ones that I've seen Peter deal with in some form or fashion lol.

If this movie can give Miles more of a distinct identity from Parker in terms of personality though, I'm all for it.

• 4 months later...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/24/spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-villains-revealed

Ultimate Green Goblin, the Prowler (who we briefly see in the trailer), and Kingpin are confirmed to be in the film.

So just like I assumed, the movie seems to be focusing primarily on the Ultimate Spider-Man universe with the "Spider-Verse" titling being reworked into meaning multiple people getting bitten by spiders who may or may not reference different Spider-Man universes but are still born in the Ultimate universe.

• 1 month later...

Hey that looked pretty goo-oh... Gwen Stacy... well hopefully they give her something more interesting besides her costume.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Gwen, I like what I’ve read of Spider-Gwen.

But what on Earth is she doing in this? It seems really damn random when the general premise is clearly Peter crossing over into the Ultimate universe, evident by the fact not only did the first trailer show off Peter’s grave but Ultinate Green Goblin, who was responsible for murdering Peter at the end of his Ultimate run and leading the way for Miles’ run as Spidey.

This looks pretty awesome can’t wait, and I’m definitely curious as to what is going on as well. Also, I can tell I’m gonna fucking love this version of Peter haha

I love how out of all the costumes Peter probably could’ve loaned or given Miles...he gave him a crappy store-bought Spidey Halloween costume.

19 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I like Gwen, I like what I’ve read of Spider-Gwen.

But what on Earth is she doing in this? It seems really damn random when the general premise is clearly Peter crossing over into the Ultimate universe, evident by the fact not only did the first trailer show off Peter’s grave but Ultinate Green Goblin, who was responsible for murdering Peter at the end of his Ultimate run and leading the way for Miles’ run as Spidey.

It's called Into the Spiderverse; I can only imagine there'll be more Spider-people making one-off appearances throughout it, like Spider-ham 'n stuff

• Thumbs Up 4

10 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I love how out of all the costumes Peter probably could’ve loaned or given Miles...he gave him a crappy store-bought Spidey Halloween costume.

I'd be a nice callback to Miles debut

p16_5+copy.jpgp16_8+copy.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

It looks like Kingpin is in too, he’s the only one I can see being the large shadow during the Spidey/Goblin fight.