Awoo.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Lord & Miller, 2018)

Marcello

Wow, I gotta say, I normally don’t look too fondly at Marvel’s animated works these days, but this one got me stoked just by the visuals alone.

And I’m not a major Spider-man fan as much these days, so I’m definitely looking forward to seeing this.

15 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I like Gwen, I like what I’ve read of Spider-Gwen.

But what on Earth is she doing in this? It seems really damn random when the general premise is clearly Peter crossing over into the Ultimate universe, evident by the fact not only did the first trailer show off Peter’s grave but Ultinate Green Goblin, who was responsible for murdering Peter at the end of his Ultimate run and leading the way for Miles’ run as Spidey.

I thought for a while that this was going to solely focus on Miles without any multiverse shenanigans, and the additional Spider-Man would be born in the Ultimate universe itself. But damn, I was wrong lol.

Well, just because Peter's crossing into this universe doesn't mean other spiders can't. For all we know, Peter might already know a bunch of alternate Spider-Men in this continuity and they follow him to the Ultimate universe to train new Spider-Man or stop a multiversal threat or something.

But if you want the real meta reason, then Spider-Gwen's showing up because Marvel loves using Gwen as a gimmick these days (actually, they like using multiple Spider-Men as a gimmick in general nowadays, just look at the most recent Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man cartoons). A la Gwenpool, or the onslaught of Gwen variant covers for their comics. I'm not even sure where the whole Gwen-craze started (maybe people REALLY liked Emma Stone's live-action performance lol), but it's lead to some interesting things. If they were going to add a third Spider-Man besides Peter or Miles, she would be included for sure because of how much she's pushed in the mainstream.

I also heard about Miles and Gwen actually dating or something months/years ago, so maybe they might make Gwen his love interest. Who knows? All I'm hoping for is that she actually contributes to the story in a meaningful way. Like maybe talking to Miles about how her own Peter Parker died and living up to that guilt/legacy or something.

I'm not really into the Spider-Verse gimmick Marvel's been pushing since the comic event because, well, seeing multiple people with the same powers and not much more chemistry than that doesn't really interest me. But seeing Peter mentor Miles in an eccentric Yoda-esque way like in this trailer looks freaking awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spider-Man has always seemed to do dimension shit of some sort. There was that shattered dimensions game even that did it. Hell marvel as a whole love doing that kinda thing, so this isn’t really much of a gimmick specifically for Spider-Man I’d argue. Doesn’t personally bother me, but I can see why some may find it a bit played out. Kinda like how TMNT constantly do it that kinda thing too

This looks awesome. Especially literally, but the writing is pretty charming and hints of what the movie's going to be about have me intrigued.

This is a minor thing and obviously it'll be clarified as we get more info (or maybe it already has been and I uh, missed it) but...are we even sure if this Peter is from another universe? This is how I interpreted it at first: two Peters.

1. Peter from Miles' universe. This is the one we see in early scenes in the trailer (where he saves a not-yet-Spider-Man Miles from the Goblin, as well as perhaps a few other scenes?). At this point, Miles has his powers but isn't using them, much like in his original origin story. ...But then the rest of Miles' usual origin plays out, including this Peter dying.
  2. Mentor!Peter, who'll essentially be the equivalent of a 616 kinda Peter. He shows up because...reasons?

BUT, as I've thought about it more and watched the trailer a couple more times, it does seem like there's simply one Peter and he doesn't die. (Until after mentoring Miles a bit, maybe.) This keeps it simple, so I can't really complain even if I love when comic book adaptations fully embrace the weird...

...and of course that still leaves Gwen. Maybe she's not from another universe either? It could be that "Spider-Verse" is being used more as an abstract concept of there being multiple Spider-People around, and I mean they could probably get away with that since...I'm going to be frank here. Yes, it's associated with the alternate universe stuff from the comics, but how many read comics versus watching movies? That's a rhetorical question.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Spider-Man has always seemed to do dimension shit of some sort. There was that shattered dimensions game even that did it. Hell marvel as a whole love doing that kinda thing, so this isn’t really much of a gimmick specifically for Spider-Man I’d argue. Doesn’t personally bother me, but I can see why some may find it a bit played out. Kinda like how TMNT constantly do it that kinda thing too

I would definitely call the Spider-Verse a gimmick of its own as of late even if Marvel has always loved multiverse shenanigans. It completely took over the premise of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, multiple Spider-Men including Miles and Gwen are main characters in the latest Spider-Man cartoon, there were the two Spider-Men series about Peter and Miles, and there seems to be a sequel to the original Spider-Verse comic book event called Spidergeddon coming out later this year. Not to mention Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time video games. 

So yeah, I would call it a gimmick specifically for Spider-Man at this point. While other alternate universe crossovers have happened all over comics, no other hero has this big of a recurring repertoire for multiversal crossovers all over every medium in recent years. Which makes sense no other hero really has so many interesting and charismatic alternate universe counterparts besides maybe Batman. Or Flash if you count time traveling too. Spider-Man's design and overall themes/brand are just that iconic in making his series always stand out while any other alternate Marvel hero counterpart usually fizzles out unless they're a villain like Maestro or Iron Man 2020.

TMNT does it a lot too, but it's usually spread out years at a time and focuses primarily on a brand new series.

33 minutes ago, Celestia said:

This looks awesome. Especially literally, but the writing is pretty charming and hints of what the movie's going to be about have me intrigued.

This is a minor thing and obviously it'll be clarified as we get more info (or maybe it already has been and I uh, missed it) but...are we even sure if this Peter is from another universe? This is how I interpreted it at first: two Peters.

1. Peter from Miles' universe. This is the one we see in early scenes in the trailer (where he saves a not-yet-Spider-Man Miles from the Goblin, as well as perhaps a few other scenes?). At this point, Miles has his powers but isn't using them, much like in his original origin story. ...But then the rest of Miles' usual origin plays out, including this Peter dying.
  2. Mentor!Peter, who'll essentially be the equivalent of a 616 kinda Peter. He shows up because...reasons?

BUT, as I've thought about it more and watched the trailer a couple more times, it does seem like there's simply one Peter and he doesn't die. (Until after mentoring Miles a bit, maybe.) This keeps it simple, so I can't really complain even if I love when comic book adaptations fully embrace the weird...

...and of course that still leaves Gwen. Maybe she's not from another universe either? It could be that "Spider-Verse" is being used more as an abstract concept of there being multiple Spider-People around, and I mean they could probably get away with that since...I'm going to be frank here. Yes, it's associated with the alternate universe stuff from the comics, but how many read comics versus watching movies? That's a rhetorical question.

I'm betting on two Peter's and Ultimate Peter Parker staying dead since we saw Peter Parker's grave. The death of Ultimate Peter Parker was the hook for Miles aside from being a new minority character. I would like Peter's death kept in since grappling with Peter's legacy is a big part of Miles' story, and without that he sort of just becomes another teenage Spider-Man without much of a unique direction, which is pretty much what he is now after joining the main comic book universe. I don't know if they would want to take the gravitas out of that by having Peter resurrected and/or faking his death (then again, that's what Bendis did at the end of his Ultimate Spider-Man run before Secret Wars lol). 

But they could go for either route. I used to think that this movie would go for multiple Spider people being born in the same universe like you said since the first trailer made this movie look so primarily focused on Ultimate Spider-Man villains. Miles' comic book origin involved him getting bit by one of several mutated spiders, so I thought this movie would take that and rework various Spider-Men into it. 

But I don't know anymore. The way Miles' narration literally talks about his universe being different from the mainstream one, even if that is only for the trailer and not included in their trailer, makes me think this movie will incorporate multiverse Spider-Men after all.

At the same time, I can't really figure out exactly why alternate universe Spider-Men would need to come help out Miles specifically. Sure, it would be easy to come up with some multiversal threat macguffin. But we're still only talking about Prowler, Kingpin, and Green Goblin. They're usually not THAT dangerous. Then again, Spider-Men and Shattered Dimension had Mysterio making trouble in multiple universes because of random magic/technology. And the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon had Green Goblin traveling to different dimensions to steal Spider DNA or whatever. So anything can go. I only hope for every spider person in this movie to play a notable role rather than be a shallow reference for support fodder and gags.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Video for "Sunflower," a song from the film's soundtrack, with some new footage featuring our first look at Miles' Uncle Aaron and Gwen as a student at Miles' school. (Guessing she goes undercover after crossing dimensions.)

Also, nothing is cooler to me in this video than that shot of all the differently-styled Spideys descending on a rooftop at 2:21. Between Ralph Breaks the Internet and this, the last two months are looking absolutely fantastic for animated films.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

This shit dropped and we aren't talking about it?? Fuck that. This shit almost made me cry so we're gonna talk about it pull up a chair. Turn up the music Denver. 

jqJho9IXn-a0F0T14xYOzkXTxhmk3igJXacXovGg

I was never more sold on a movie than I was from the first trailer for this. I was just off of being burned by Homecoming and this was like an adrenaline shot. The beautiful, terrifying scale of New York sprawling underneath Miles as he dives off a fucking skyscraper spiraling and flailing like an amateur before he hits the web swing JUST before he smacks the pavement. All of the thrills and the fear and the adrenaline and the style that'd been sucked clean out of Homecoming had come back to life all at once. Was this shit real? Was I about to get my brains blown out by a fucking Spider-Man movie?

Figuratively?

Spoilers from here on out, but the movie delivers. 

Spoiler

These motherfuckers went and made this the emotional crux of the movie. The peak of Miles's development. My jaw was on floor. This movie doesn't just skip the "boring origin shit" like I was expecting it to it made it it's whole identity. Poor Miles is struggling and struggling to make shit like climbing and sticking to walls work in this whole  movie, so when he nails this at the start of the movie's climax you FEEL it.

Make no mistake, despite all the crazy comic book shit and alternate Spider-Men and stuff in this movie, it's still Miles's story. My only real concern with the movie was that all the characters would clutter everything up but Peni Noir and the pig are so far in the background that they don't even actually show up until after the halfway point. When they do show up they just provide some cute comic relief, spice up the action scenes and feed into the development of the main character like they should. It could have been so obviously a lead in to another movie or trying to sell you a toy but they work it to the movie's advantage. These Spider-Man are all really weird and different but one thing they have in common is that they're good at what they do and Miles...isn't. Not yet, anyway. 

The shadow Miles has cast over him and the shoes he has to fill are pretty big themes in this movie. There's a Peter "Prime" in this movie that's essentially the perfect ideal of Spider-Man and it's not just Miles, but the other Spider-Men and even the parallel universe Peter that gets tied up in doing right by him and solving this unsolved case of his. In the brief bits that we get of him he's wonderful and his life is cut short just when Miles gets a taste of what could be. Having a guy who gets all the answers as a mentor. 

Instead, he gets dropped in the middle of a bunch of flawed, different, crazy versions of Spider-Man and he has to pick up the pieces on his own. A lot of people were iffy about the "bad timeline" version of Peter but I loved him. It paints a perfectly critical image of how regressive and childish this character can be. Mary Jane asked him to grow up and take on a new responsibility and unlike the "prime" Peter he ran away. I know a lot of people will have problems with this but this is, for all intents and purposes the Peter Parker I've always known. It's just honest in it's depiction. This shit is good because it LOVES Spider-Man to death but also is willing to be critical of it. 

Anyway, MVP of this movie was the fucking prowler man. He was terrifying and harrowing whenever Miles was getting literally hunted down by him and I wish there was more of him in the film. The very first thing I would change if I could do anything would be that. Aaron's still a great character and his death scene holds a lot of weight just because of what he means to Miles, but I just wanted more, man.

Aaron dying is the catalyst that finally makes Miles Spider-man, and the scene where all the different Spiders sympathize with this is great. It was surreal seeing the film marketed aggressively toward kids tackle concepts like loss in the same timeline where the MCU won't mention Uncle Ben because "it's not fun" but here we are. 

This is a movie about loss in the same way all the best Spider-Man stories are. As understated as Kingpin is in this movie he's even motivated by a loss that wishes to be undone, but even with all the dumb comic book fantasy stuff here they never once imply that death isn't permanent. No resurrections or restarts here. The stakes feel real. 

I love this fucking movie.

I'm severely underselling the art here too but let me tell you the emotion would hit less than half as hard as it does without it. There's some genius shit going on here with the comic themed art. They come in after Miles emphasizes his powers to show how overly stimulated he is. It actually adds to the story in big and small ways on top of just being interesting to look at. It incorporates references to the artistic techniques and styles present throughout the series too so even though I don't know enough about animation to fully appreciate the technique I know more than enough about Spider-Man to geek the fuck out just looking at it. 

unknown.png

If it sounds like I'm hyping this up too much then fucking good it just means I'm passionate. Skip the new transformers or whatever and watch this instead. Actually don't skip it because that looks neat too but watch this shit first. Enter the Spiderverse. Anyone can wear the mask for just 12 dollars. You're Spider-Man I'm Spider-Man that fucking pig is Spider-Man we're all Spider-Man.

I'm comin' home now. I'm comin' home~

Right where I belong now. Right where I belong~

tumblr_p0pngp11bZ1un3jipo3_540.gif?w=605

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

I loved this film. This might top Spider-Man 2 as my favorite Spider-man movie. 

The first trailer reignited my love for Spider-Man. Don't get me wrong, I liked the character growing up and watched the all of the previous films, but I wasn't super into it like most people. And all the constant release of superhero movies started making them all blend together in my head. But this trailer...

18 hours ago, Wraith said:

jqJho9IXn-a0F0T14xYOzkXTxhmk3igJXacXovGg

I couldn't get over how awesome this looked. The visual style for this is just downright amazing and makes its stand out not just from the other superhero films, but nearly every animated film out there. The concept of having multiple Spider-people cross over with each other is something we'd probably never get in the live-action films. While I did enjoy Homecoming (I'll admit I'm kinda biased towards it because I have a crush on Tom Holland), this trailer got me way more excited than that entire movie ever did. I was sold. 

My excitement for this movie made me want to collect all of Ultimate Spider-Man (so like 210+ issues), which I actually managed to do, along with reading the main series once Nick Spencer took over in July 

Spoiler

tumblr_p90uzqzSuH1rvufhzo3_400.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=12451013

Around $400 or $500, to give a better estimate.

So after that, I was ready for this movie to come out. And if it wasn't clear above, Spider-verse meet my expectations. 

Spoiler

First off, this film was way sadder than I expected it to be. Knowing that Ultimate Peter Parker was going to die didn't make it any easier to watch, but Prowler's death and Kingpin's motivation were also pretty sad. I don't recall the other films ever being this emotional; certainly makes me wish so many people weren't dismissing this movie as just kid stuff. 

The fight scenes were phenomenal as well; it's great seeing them go all out with stuff they'd never be able to do as well in live-action. The vocal tracks in the soundtrack were great as well.  

I also enjoyed all the various Easter Eggs throughout the film, anyone familiar with Spider-Man lore would certainly get a kick out of trying to spot them all. The post-credits scene was completely unexpected. 

Only thing I was kinda disappointed with was the lack of MJ in the film. Sure, we got plenty of screen-time for Aunt May as a result, but it just seemed weird to me that she was completely absent for most of the story; it's especially weird that she was at the Kingpin's banquet at the end, since I'd figured Peter would've warned her about Kingpin being dangerous at some point during his 10 years of being Spider-Man. 

I'm not too great at writing these kinds of things, but Wraith's post does a good job of summarizing the good stuff from this film. If you're a Spider-Man fan, you have to see this movie. I recall a bunch of posts in the MCU topic about people bringing their family members who normally ignore superhero movies to go see Infinity War because of how awesome it was; I highly recommend you all do the same here, because Spider-verse has something for everyone to love.

Plus, you don't have to be familiar with 10 years worth of movies to enjoy it. 

Edited by Gamefreak3525
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just got back from the theater. It was really good. Spider-Man 2 is still my favorite Spider-Man/Super Hero movie, but this is probably my second favorite Spider-Man movie. Definitely the best super hero movie of the year.

I didn't watch any of the post credits stuff, sadly, since I had to make my bus, but I hear it's great.

Spoiler

I can't remember, did Miles have his artsy side in his early comics? Because I like it.

I also loved the call-backs to the Raimi trilogy in the opening.

Doc Ock and Prowler had great designs.

3 hours ago, Marcello said:

Just got back from the theater. It was really good. Spider-Man 2 is still my favorite Spider-Man/Super Hero movie, but this is probably my second favorite Spider-Man movie. Definitely the best super hero movie of the year.

I didn't watch any of the post credits stuff, sadly, since I had to make my bus, but I hear it's great.

Hide contents

I can't remember, did Miles have his artsy side in his early comics? Because I like it.

Spoiler

No, in fact it's only for this movie. Well that is unless Saladin Ahmed's run introduces this along the road.

I got pretty worried about how this movie would end up after so many Spider-people were revealed, but holy CRAP this movie blew my expectations out of the water

Miles' origin story is the full focus of the story, which Wraith already summed up pretty well, but I wasn't expecting the movie to go that hard into the story, considering *everything* the movie was already dealing with, multiple spidermen, alternate dimensions, and whatnot. Everything feeds into the arc, everything, and it's downright insane how they packed all the elements together to weave his story like that. Villains that looked like they were throwaway fanservice from the outset, (I'm not familiar with the comics so I dunno if that twist was anticipated or not, but I let out an audible "WHOA" when I looked up and saw it in the theater) Peter B. Parker's entire role contributing to the origin rather than taking away like I feared it might, the alternate spiderpeople all feeding into the theme of expectations and pressure in his story - pretty much anything that could be potentially detracting from the point of the movie just... doesn't happen, or is so touch-and-go it never feels like it's lost focus of what it's about at all, or moves on to something more interesting once the origin has pretty much been "established".

Unfortunately I wasn't really in the best disposition/situation to really absorb the movie or anything, so I haven't really had the chance for it to really resonate with me yet... but man am I impressed by how well they pulled this specific angle off while coexisting with the entire multiverse gimmick, even if I wasn't able to be particularly engrossed by it. Easily the best Spiderman movie of the lot with how tightly the story is told and conveyed. Easily.

Some spoilery thoughts on the side as well, but

Spoiler

I was not expecting Fisk to be so prominent and well-handled as he was in this movie at aaaall. The motivation of him funding Olivia's collider (and how Olivia didn't care to tell Fisk about the aftereffects since she just wanted the technology to be finished) to find his dead wife and son is great and really feels in line with what I've seen of the rest of the character, and the degree of sheer brutality he's known for was a huge shock to see in a kid's movie. Probably the second biggest reaction I had outside of Aaron's reveal. The film could have used basically any random throwaway villain and it would have worked just fine, but to have him as an actual main villain, be given such a spotlight, and also done justice to his source material in a kids movie, of all things, was a fantastic surprise.

Also gonna echo Wraith again, but I loved the arc Peter B. Parker was going through with MJ at the time, both as a representation of how flawed the character can be with life decisions, and also as a form of realistic relationship struggles in a spiderman story that aren't the typical "will they, won't they" tripe. Controversial opinion here, as I felt that the beginning of Spiderman 3 actually felt like it was trying to be feature better storytelling than 2 for a quick second, with MJ and Peter's subtle friction over success and failure, and kinda wanted to see more like that; so to see this kind of a more mature angle, but actually pulled off well, was incredibly satisfying to see, and in a way feels like a great Peter Parker story alongside Miles' own story. And the fact that those two can coexist is crazy! Spiderman under Sony has been the king of messy storytelling because of cramming characters and story arcs left and right! What kind of an anomaly is this movie?!?

A few other things, but I loved how Prowler turned from a throwaway villain with a terrifying presence into one of the biggest out of the left field twists that recontextualized the entire previous half of the movie in a new light for Miles, and if he was already well known in the comic books for this role, (I definitely didn't see anyone bring up how important he'd be, that's for sure) I'm glad I didn't know previously. Such a great moment in the movie. Another great moment was finding out that Olivia was the Doc Ock of this universe, and - can I just say?

There was so. Much. The trailers and clips put out there either left out, or recontextualized in a way that wouldn't spoil the movie, and I can not thank them enough for doing it. It did end up making me worried at the start, as I wasn't exactly sure how the origin story would go with how the chronology of the trailer was laid out, (Miles already had his suit when he was mourning Peter's death and talking to Alt spiderman, but makeshift when he was being trained by... spiderman, as well, lol) but SO MUCH STUFF was a straight up surprise because of it, and it made the movie soooo much more fun to follow along to for the first time around. Prowler, a villain that Miles was chasing effortlessly in the trailer, was actually a villain that hunts Miles down to the ends of the earth to kill him. That scene of him flipping through the cars as if he was an established super hero already? Actually a repurposed Peter Parker scene, moreso for the promotional material than anything. The clips of them escaping the lab completely cut out the significance of Kingpin or even the basic existence of Doc Ock, which made the reveal that much crazier, and again, like Wraith said, (lmao) the very first promotional material for the movie, was actually the climax of Miles taking a leap of faith with his powers, greater than he ever imagined he could take before, and coming into his own, realizing his potential. Mmm. MMMMMmm.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Spoiler

Im sorry

I also particularly enjoyed how the movie handled his relationship with his dad; throughout the movie he's basically the first one pushing Miles to do better, to be better; throwing expectations and responsibilities onto Miles' shoulders without a second thought, which Miles sort of pushes back against and finds the more laid back side of Uncle Aaron to be more inviting and understanding. But at the end of the day, with all the odds stacked against him and no one else to help him, he sees that his dad has actually always been in his corner the entire time, rooting for him and hoping for him to overcome the odds when no one else is; and him finally finding the will to stand up as a result, and fight back, is him embracing those expectations he thought were too much from yesterday, and overcoming them. If him coming to terms with his Uncle's death was the catalyst of him actually becoming spiderman, and the skyscraper scene was the realization, that moment was the resolute conclusion. The way the already established spiderpeople feed into this arc is genius as well, but I just really liked that one moment to cap off the entire movie and his arc. Really rad storybeat.

I'm definitely going to watch this again, because there's no way I'm gonna let it pass by without actually immersing myself in the aesthetic, music, and storybeats for a change, but as-is, from a structural standpoint, this is the best Spiderman by far, and my favorite just off the basis that it did everything I hoped it would, and more. Incredible movie.

Oh, also, the train/traffic scene had me and my family howling, and was a great moment of brevity in a movie that might have been too serious for kids, without detracting the mood and effects of the previous scenes. Peter Porker didn't do anything for anyone in the theater in comparison, but I just thought that was a great scene to spice up the movie for younger audiences. Might be a little long on rewatches, tho

• Thumbs Up 5

Spoiler

I knew about Aaron going into it so I was just waiting for that shoe to drop but that's not a commonly known thing about the character. Knowing it's coming just makes the scenes where Miles is being chased by him harder to watch imo.

completely forgot about Olivia though so that scene made me pop off. This movie had me acting mad ignorant in the theater. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This movie is a sheer anomaly.

There should've been so much wrong with this movie. There's too many villains, there's so many Spider-Men with different origins and different stories. There's this whole plot about the multiverse itself being ripped open, it's another Sony Spidey movie trying desperately to start up another cinematic universe...

Yet it is so perfect in nearly every single conceivable notion. 

I absolutely loved this movie on first showing. I was hyped beyond belief for this movie, to the point of diving into catching up on Ultimate Spider-Man (the original Bendis run with Peter Parker) in anticipation. I fully expected to go in having been overhyped and being somewhat disappointed, only for the reviews to come out - being insanely high. Then I got to see the movie myself and I frankly think it's downright the best Spidey movie out there, not only blowing the other movies completely out of the water, but also providing a grounded and good story that rivals quite a lot of the famous comic stories. 

Spoiler

First things first, I was somewhat sketchy about Peter's death to begin with. I thought we were going for the straight on Ultimate universe where Peter Parker died fighting the Green Goblin, and Miles had took up his role as Spider-Man afterwards, and was pretty shocked they were taking it into a more original area with basic ideas taken from the Ultimate line of comics. However, the movie still managed to win me over all the same because the universe they present us with instead is still so interesting, and so unique that you don't really mind. It's like if you took some of the downright best elements of the Ultimate line of comics, including the likes of May proactively knowing Peter's secret and actually being proud of him, as well as some elements that feel to me is directly from Ultimate like Mary Jane somewhat being more involved with super-heroics, as Ultimate had her as Peter's original confidant from Day 1, and blending it all in with things like Rami's trilogy, the mainline comics etc. Everything should spell a mess, but it's done all so incredibly well and meshes so well together that you do not mind.

That is something I love most about this movie, it feels like if you are a fan of anything Spider-Man related, this movie will have you covered in some way shape or form. Like the mainline continuity? Here's a happily married Peter and Mary Jane while Peter himself has had a long and successful hero career up til his passing. You like the Ultimate line? Here, have a Kingpin, Green Goblin Mary Jane, Aunt May, and Miles all based around the Ultimate line, and for good measure, having one of the Ultimate Spidey villains (Prowler) as one of the main vocal characters. Like the PS4 Game? Have a Peter/Miles mentor relationship and even the PS4 suit making an appearance. Like the Rami movies? Have some nods that imply it happened to even grander effect. You like the weirder side of the comics? Here, have Spider-Ham and Peni Parker. We'll even throw in Noir and Gwen for the serious fans. How about the original 60s show? Even better! Have Spider-Man 2099 on top of it all!

It is a blatant love-letter to Spider-Man fans. If you've ever been a fan of this franchise, if you've ever been introduced to this character through any medium, there is a 99.9% chance that there is an element here that you loved in one of those previous experiences. That's something else I love, it doesn't just shove in fan-service for the hell of it, to try draw in fans of Spidey already and to distract from a larger issue, it uses the easter eggs and references to it's advantage to drive the story further and tie it all back into Miles' development. The best example is definitely the Rami stuff because it's all exaggerated as if Spidey did it all single-handedly, leaving even more of a gap for Miles to close.

The story itself is just pure quality, and puts the original Spider-Verse comic to shame. Miles is very likeable as a main character and it's really cool how we get a proper origin story that does not make it easy for the person in question to just use their powers. Remember in the likes of Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man where Peter immediately gets his powers and while he does a few little accidents, he just basically understands them right away? Doesn't happen here. Miles doesn't just walk up to a wall and immediately be able to start wall-crawling, he needs to figure out how to make himself even unstick in the first place.

Miles cannot webswing at all to begin with, not helped by the web-shooters not fitting in his hands and instead needs Peter's help to pull it off. The interesting thing is Gwen's role as well, because she bounces off Peter as kind of a comparsion piece to Miles. She's basically Miles' age, and can already web-swing and use her powers like a total pro. Things get worse as Noir, Penni and Ham appear too because even the talking pig is able to use his powers properly. It all ties in fantastically to Miles learning to how to make use of his powers, and I think my absolute favourite moment is Miles being forced to take his leap of faith to become Spider-Man, finally leaving behind his self-doubts and worries, and focusing on what he can do. 

It's also great that even when Miles does manage to get his powers going properly, you can still tell he is not amazing yet. The Kingpin fight is absolutely brutal on Miles, and you legitimately don't know if he'll get out of it. He still has to work to earn his victory, to earn his webs and to save everyone in the end. It's a perfect end to his origin story IMO. 

Peter Parker (The broke one) also manages to be very funny, and very likeable. I know it's somewhat bad, but I find it kind of funny just how completely over the top they went with showing how his life went to shit, and yet make fun of it. Aunt May dies, Mary Jane leaves him, and his life is gone to shit...and the next proceeding image is Spider-Man crying in a bath-tub with a pizza slice. It's some very dark humour, but it still works both as a funny over the top thing, and as others mentioned - a look into how somewhat self-destructive the regression of Peter is. It felt like a serious take that to Marvel themselves who especially after One More Day - has constantly tried to regress Peter back into one of the younger and less mature Marvel characters. His character arc throughout the movie is easily the best alongside Miles, and is pretty smart in that where Miles has to learn the ropes to become Spider-Man, Peter needs to learn how to actually care enough to be Spider-Man again. This is a Peter Parker who broke, who let the parker luck destroy him and his motivation, and he has to learn to pick himself back up again and keep on fighting.

I do also want to take small mention to how much I like that they basically based Aunt May off the Ultimate version. She's very proud of Peter, and a very proactive character. She not only helps the main Spidey group, she has no issue taking a baseball bat and smacking villains in the face. The moment where she revealed she was waiting for Miles with a set of his own web-slingers was one of my favourite moments, basically because it took May and just made her very capable, and very willing to keep her nephew's legacy alive by helping others to become heroes. 

Also, I downright love the soundtrack, and I love how it ties into the movie itself, not only into the characters, but the story, and the humour. Sunflower is a pretty catchy song and I was pretty surprised to find out it was actually a song Miles' himself relates to and sings in-movie, as opposed to just a song for the soundtrack. It's the same for What's Up Danger, which is expertly woven into Miles' first leap of faith scene. Even just the normal themes are great, especially Prowler's theme, which is hauntingly creepy, especially with the way it constantly builds-up tension.

The animation just compliments it so well. I don't think I can even begin to talk about how insanely good the animation is in this movie. It is like a comic book practically bursting and popping into life, with different animation genres being blended together, and a lot of fun things being done with it. I think one of the best examples of this is just Octavia, because of how well she animates with her legs. 

Speaking of Octavia, I was pretty shocked with the number of villains in this movie. Not only do we get Kingpin and Prowler, Ultimate Green Goblin makes an appearance fighting Peter, we have Octavia who's Doc Ock (Who really surprised me, given iirc - Octavia was a female Doc Ock from Spidey 2099 who featured in Shattered Dimensions), we even get Scorpion making an appearance during the attack on May's home. I loved all of the villains' designs, although I'd say Octavia and Kingpin were my favourites. Octavia for how well she animates, and Kingpin because I find it downright funny as hell that he's portrayed as basically a giant brick with a head.

The comedy is also just the best I've seen in a Spider-Man film to date, even compared to Homecoming. There's so many fun references to the wider Spidey brand and they're all tied into jokes, and that's not even mentioning the character-driven comedy, which is just expertly done. Peter B Parker is a gift to comedy, and is basically the wise-talking Spider-Man I've wanted for years. The moment I saw him trying to smooth-talk Olivia is the moment I knew this was a perfect version of Peter Parker, this was the cocky wise-cracking Spider-Man who always tries to kill his own fear and place enemies off-guard through humour. The end-credits scene is also just a work of beauty. Using 2099 in such a fashion was just a perfect touch to end on.

There's so much more I could talk about, but I feel like everyone else above said it a whole lot better than I could. All I can say is I loved this movie. It is not only my favourite Spider-Man movie, it might actually be my favourite comic-book movie to date, and it ranks pretty damn high on my favourite animated movies list as well. I can't wait to get the chance to see this movie again, and I really hope we see a sequel to it. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Into the Spider-Verse is now a Christmas movie, it is officially the best Christmas movie 

• Chuckle 1

I went to see this last night. I'm not much of a fan of Spider-Man, although I do think he's cute, watching a friend play the PS4 game and all that, and everyone I hear said it was very good. Its rare I take notice of others opinions to see something.

And I'm so glad I went.

Bonus points that I went to my local cinema, and had the entire theatre to myself watching it. It made me laugh a lot. Definitely needed something to make me laugh in terms of watching films in the cinema this year, since the only thing this had to go against was fucking Widows that made me want to kill myself (not really of course but it was so dark and unfunny and I wasn't in a good mood going in the first place.

So yeah, movie of the year for me. I'm starting to grow fond of the ol' Spidey.

• Thumbs Up 1

When it was first announced (Or leaked I believe?) Lord/Miller were going to helm an animated spider-man movie, I had no idea what to think... On one hand an animated spider-man movie? Heck yeah, sign me up! On the other, Phil Lord and Chris Miller are involved? Hmmmm. The two directors love what they do, and you can definately see it in their works... but their movies rely a lot on meta humor, and to me it sometimes gets a little old. So needless to say, even after seeing the trailer, I was unsure how to feel about it.

However, after hearing the reviews and the praise, I decided to have a look see and see if it was worth the hype. My thoughts on it?

Even though not a lot of people aren't worried about these two things but I still feel the need to say this... If you're not willing to see this movie on the movie just because it's animated, or because of the comedy, then you're doing yourself a huge disfavor. Unlike the recent Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon the film's comedy is pretty spot on, not distracting or mood ruining. Sure there's a couple references to Spider-Man memes here and there, but they're put in a tasteful way, and don't feel forced. And even then the comedy and the serious moments are perfectly balanced.

As for the animation... Oh my god, this is some gorgeous stuff. In a way, it almost resembles stop animation, but a lot faster paced. This movie wanted to have a comic book feel, and the animators greatly succeded in what they wanted, from the coloring, to the comic panel transitions (Which the 2003 Hulk film tried to do, but came across as cheesy in that movie), to even having text boxes and thought bubbles in certain scenes. Not to mention, I would forget two characters, Peni Parker and Spider-ham were animated in the same cg style, when in some scenes they looked traditionally animated.

I thought the story was a lot of fun, I've always had a soft spot for anything involving spideys from different dimensions, and seeing this story on the big screen was a delight.  I loved the characters, and it was great to see Miles Morales have time in the spotlight. Hell, I know they didn't have much screentime, but I still really loved Spider-ham, Peni Parker and Spider-man Noir. 

I could go on and on and on, about why I loved this movie, but I think others in this thread said everything better than I ever could. I'll just leave it off by saying this: If you love Spider-Man, Animated movies, Superheros, or the works of Lord/Miller, then I can guarentee you'll get a lot of enjoyment from this film.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1