Awoo.

"Obscure" Music Tastes?

Ebby

I stopped listening to mainstream music when I entered high school and I started listening to drum and bass. I simply fell in love with it. Being a black girl living in America most people didn't know what it was, nor did they like it. I guess that's why it's "obscure". Also I'm expected to listen to rap, hip-hop, and other "black music".

I also enjoy the Katamari Damacy soundtracks, Japanese music, techno, ambient music, instrumentals, a few wonderful pieces from OCRemix, sometimes Newgrounds (sometimes they have some goodies )and lately I've been getting into bossa nova and other Latin music.

How about you? Anything a little different than usual? Any recommendations?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arrow

• Vasco

• CtW

• TitanFifty

I just mainly listen to rock. Nothing really to weird. Although I do have a thing for 80's Hair Metal and Classic Rock too. I also like some rap/rock and some rap itself. But my weirdest musical taste would have to be Hikaru Utada.

If you like drum&bass, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQBvDraxruo.

If anybody were to ask me which genre of music I liked, I would provide a blank stare in response - I am very crap with genres so I have absolutely no idea how to categorize the music I like. I only think about whether I find a song is good or not. I love all sorts of music, however, including ambiance, ethnic, electronic, etc. But no, I have no favorite genre - only favorite songs/artists.

Over the years, I've mostly only listened to anime and game soundtracks, but I've been opening up to some indie stuff. I'm currently obsessed with

I presume that this is supposed to be house, but it makes me want to check out similar songs.

Almost ALL of my music is free. And I don't mean free in the "I steal songs without paying for them" sense, moreso "I download songs from artists who don't work for profit". I simply can't stand stealing songs most of them time (not just out of guilt, mind - I find it incredibly tedious if you don't know where you're looking. No, that's NOT a cue to provide me a source). That said, as far as free music goes I tend to get most of it from OCRemix, Dwelling of Duels and the Newgrounds Audio Portal. As you might've guessed from my first two choices, yes, I have a thing for remixes.

Outside of remixes, I prefer songs that mix together multiple genres to those that stick to a solid path. Orchestral's okay, but mix in a rock, a trance or a goddamned breakbeat and it can get incredible pretty damn fast. Other mixtures I've taken kindly to include Industrial, D'nB, Techno and even an occasional Ambient tune or two. I only really name genres when I have to though - to me, if it sounds good, fuck what taste it's supposed to be in. =P

My music taste is the rarest. Heavy metal (from black metal to sludge) and rock. Now here's where it gets obscure. I listen to a little bit of video game music, a splish-splash of electronica, 4 glam rock bands AND 50's/60's rock/rockabilly. Another thing is, if you saw me... you would never know I listened to this all if I never told you.

I have the most obscure music taste, hands down. So yeah, I win for the most obscure music taste. ;) Right now on my Last.fm, I'm scrobbling death metal and rock. Though as time goes by, you'll see some artists on there that really don't fit.

It's weird. Most of my favourite bands are very popular, but no one I know listens to them. Manic Street Preachers, Radiohead, The Cure, etc

I pretty much listen to everything. And I don't just mean "I listen to whatever because I don't care" - I've yet to find one genre that I don't like at least one band/song of.

And yes, that includes Viking Metal and Celtic arrangements.

At the moment I'm going through a Crash Test Dummies / Dropkick Murphies fling.

I think my music taste is quite odd, mostly because it's all over the place.

Thing's I've been into recently include... Blue October, Eye Alaska, Front Line Assembly, Imperative Reaction, Sick Puppies, Jimmy Eat World, Story of the Year, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Art of Dying.

I'd be interested to know how many people have even heard of the first 4...

80's Hair Metal and Classic Rock

You're not alone.

Hair Metal is all i can stand to listen to.

and is what most of my internet friends CANT stand to listen to.

My RL friends like it though. and my dad does too.

Mostly I listen to the lesser known hair metal bands

even though right now my favorite is DOKKEN.

Mostly WASP, London,Ratt, Brunette, TNT, Y&T, Hurricane, Vinnie Vincent Invasion,

Odin, KIX, Great White, and the VERY early Pantera

OH! Don't forget the 70s,80s, British metal, Known by fans as the NWOBHM

Probably the most obscure thing i listen to is Bluegrass

(basically country but 10x faster and more violins. Its like death metal for old people

cause a lot of the songs deal with death and religion.LOLOLOLOL)

Edited by Stuart Twentythree

I like to think my taste is varied, from Pantera and Converge to Johnny Cash and Ryan Adams

I live and breathe music...

Not reallly, I also have a lot of tastes: Drum and Bass is one of them.

Also, Intelligent Dance Music is another favorite and I do like some rock

8-bit Hip hop I like; For Example, the infamous Super Brooklyn by Cocoa Brovaz

Blue October

:O I love Blue October, they're an amazing group, my favourite. I have all of their albums now, not to mention a t-shirt my sister managed to nab me from one of their first UK concerts several months ago. I really enjoy their sound, which is relatively unique as far as Alternative music goes (go on, try and find me any other remotely mainstream artiat/group that produces songs reminiscent of Sound Of Pulling Heaven Down or Graceful Dancing), and I've relied on them to sing me through some rough times these past three years.

I haven't listened to them as much as I ought the past few months as I've been exploring other more mainstream artists' repertoires (it's never bad to try to expand your horizons!!), but that hasn't stopped me loving their latest album and listening the hell out of it, or getting excited about their UK shows this autumn.

Brilliant group. Phenomenal. I can't wait for them to get their first proper UK hit out there. Unfortunately they're not that well known here and I've yet to find anybody who likes them when they hear them. :(

Another group I'm heavily into that most of the people around here don't "get" (loads of club music lovers around here) is Sigur R

Another group I'm heavily into that most of the people around here don't "get" (loads of club music lovers around here) is Sigur R

I listen to 50s rock/rockabilly (and some Motown), 60s psychedelic rock/hippie music (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Doors), 70s hard rock/early metal (Ozzy, Sweet, KISS), 80s metal and hair-metal (AC/DC, Guns and Roses, Twisted Sister, Dream Theater), some 80s pop (MJ and Blondie), ska rock (Reel Big Fish, Offspring), D&B (list random D&B group here), early hiphop (Run DMC, Sugarhill Gang, Beastie Boys), indie rock (Kasabian, Oasis) and some early alternative rock (Primus, Red Hot Chili Peppers).

Basically what nobody listens to anymore. Back when music was good. =\

Most people outside of my group of closes friends haven't even heard of most of the genres I listen to. In my area you could count death metal, and trip-hop as obscure, and I've been told my folk metal and viking metal and steampunk stuff is obscure; probably steampunk most of all.

There's plenty of weird stuff out there to listen to - I've done the rounds on some really crackers stuff might be worth some of you having a look if you want more obscurity!

SikTh - These guys have split up now...I think they preferred to go under the genre "Mathcore" or "Weirdcore". All the songs have very odd time signatures, quirky, almost irratic, but very fun to listen to. The two singers are complete polar opposites as well. If you like your metal shaken give them a listen, you'll either love them or hate them.

Venetian Snares - Imagine Apex Twin but scarier. Haunting glitchcore that borders on the plain bizarre, with the occassional twist by including string instrument sections just to make it even more odd.

Arnocorps - Arnold Schwarzennegger Thrash Metal Tribute Band. In fact all the lyrics to the song Predator are quotes from the film with the same name. Very silly but actually quite enjoyable.

Ayreon - Rock Opera for Sci-fi buffs. All the albums are composed by Lucassen, but the vocalists are comprised of some of the most famous (Including Bruce Dickinson from Maiden, Devin Townsend, Hansi K

I love easy new-wave instrumental, the kind of sounds so soothing one can meditate on them (i.e. songs from the Ecco the Dolphin games). I hate guiter and drum combos with lyrics that are impossible to understand and volumes high enough to make ears ring and cause deafness before age 25. With both these tastes, compared to the people I know I am in a very tiny minority. I recall one time somebody called me a coward for avoiding the popular head-banging concerts around campus.

Edited by BaronSFel001

Occasionally I enjoy listening to music in reverse. Doesn't matter whether it's pop or hiphop or disco or classic rock-n-roll or psychotic electronic rave.

I just reverse it all lovingly to hear those pleasant whooshes of the backwards drum beat and to discover new lyrics with hidden messages.

And you know what? 8 times out of 10 I stumble upon something awesome which can be worth mentioning and/or remembering.

Yeah, people IRL think I'm nuts. But I don't give a damn. :P

Also, when I reveal that my favourite band is The Prodigy then people immediately feel tempted to ask me if I do drugs.

In response to that I just say that the only drugs are the rhythms and the energy. :D

Edited by DarkJedi188

I just reverse it all lovingly to hear those pleasant whooshes of the backwards drum beat and to discover new lyrics with hidden messages.

And you know what? 8 times out of 10 I stumble upon something awesome which can be worth mentioning and/or remembering.

I like Eurovision. In this forum it can't possibly be any more obscure.

I hate to admit it, but I actually like a large number of tunes from Eurovision. The time in which Lordi won, I forget the year, but I was hard pressed on which to vote for. I loved a lot of the songs, and got myself the album...

SikTh - These guys have split up now...I think they preferred to go under the genre "Mathcore" or "Weirdcore". All the songs have very odd time signatures, quirky, almost irratic, but very fun to listen to. The two singers are complete polar opposites as well. If you like your metal shaken give them a listen, you'll either love them or hate them.

Hell yes, you're the man.

I like Eurovision. In this forum it can't possibly be any more obscure.

<3

I don't really like anything Eurovision ever puts forward, but Eurovision itself is amazing and I watch every year with friends and cheesecake.

Edited by Arrow

Yeah, I don't "get" Sigur Ros. The vocalist upsets my ears. Very much so.

His work may be unusual but I find it strangely relaxing (or rousing, depending on the song).

OH WELL WE AGREE ON BLUE OCTOBER SO IT'S OKAY. <3?

Sort of okay but it'd be better if you liked Sigur R

I like what I like, and yeah...I don't think any of my music is obscure because it's all signed to labels and have CDs out, yeah some of them have tiny fanbases but whatev.

I'm sure I've said what bands I like before? But I'll say it again, some of my fav bands (I like so much music seriously) are Sigur R

Edited by Mollfie