Awoo.

"Obscure" Music Tastes?

Ebby

Another group I'm heavily into that most of the people around here don't "get" (loads of club music lovers around here) is Sigur R

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arrow

• Vasco

• CtW

• Patticus

Top Posters In This Topic

Arnocorps - Arnold Schwarzennegger Thrash Metal Tribute Band. In fact all the lyrics to the song Predator are quotes from the film with the same name. Very silly but actually quite enjoyable.

Haha, this guy I camped next to at Download played us a song that sounded very similar to this. Half of it was just "GET TO DA CHOPPER!!! IT IS THE ONLY WAY OUTTTTT!!!!" I may have to follow up on this.

Obscure music? Dunno, I've mentioned my "obscure" bands before many times, and Siriku has already beaten me to an obligatory mention of Turisas. No love for One More?

Uhm, past that, Skindred and their crazy Welsh method of mixing reggae with metal. Seeing them in October, which I can't wait for. They put on a hell of a show.

Some would say music with foreign lyrics os obscure, so I guess that warrants mention of Rammstein and Mad Capsule Markets, and to a lesser extent, Amorphis (only got one album, is merely average).

Then there's the bands who haven't fully made it yet, like Voodoo Six and The Zico Chain. Gotta do my bit to plug new British music.

Yeah, most of the time if I like a band, my circle of friends then picks up that it's cool to hate on that band. Case and Point: Buckethead. I showed one friend "Soothsayer" by him, under a different title, and he wanted it on his iPod, and listened to it lots, then I told him "you know that's actually by Buckethead, right?" and never again. "Real music needs lyrics; a singer!".

xP Gosh that's not what you said when you were listening to it under another name for a month...

but yeah, I love tons of obscure bands. Yay Buckethead.

I am apparently the only person in the world who actually likes the band The Presidents of the United States of America.

Other than that..... The Mack doesn't really like that much music.

If you like drum&bass, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQBvDraxruo.

If anybody were to ask me which genre of music I liked, I would provide a blank stare in response - I am very crap with genres so I have absolutely no idea how to categorize the music I like. I only think about whether I find a song is good or not. I love all sorts of music, however, including ambiance, ethnic, electronic, etc. But no, I have no favorite genre - only favorite songs/artists.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks! I'm not into drum and bass like I used to be, but I still find some goodies from time to time. Like

by Calibre and (probably one of the best drum and bass songs ever) Racing Green by High Contrast. Racing Green has to be the most feel good drum and bass song ever and Idris is very relaxing.

Also I agree with the genres thing. When you get into electronica it gets plain retarded. I was exploring hardcore for a while and the sub-genres are nuts. Happy hardcore, speedcore, terrorcore, gabber (I'm not sure what this is exactly), makina (this is foreign to me too), and so on. I mean, most of it is merely different by decibels....

I am apparently the only person in the world who actually likes the band The Presidents of the United States of America.

I love that band dude, what are you talking about?

I always get Peaches stuck in my head.

I hate to admit it, but I actually like a large number of tunes from Eurovision. The time in which Lordi won, I forget the year, but I was hard pressed on which to vote for. I loved a lot of the songs, and got myself the album...

But that's the thing. Why should anybody hate to admit it? It's not some sort of second class music. Just like all others, there's a lot of crap and some real gems.

My music is 99% Metal.

Folk Metal, Viking Metal, Pirate Metal, Celtic Metal, all the way up to Industrial Metal. I eat, drink, and breath METULZ. My stuff is generally obscure. Have some examples, courtesy of Youtube

Turisas As Torches Rise ( MY FAVOURITE BAND EVAR *Metal horns*

My favourite song of all time is their cover of

Words cannot describe how much I love it.

Finntroll - Trollhammeren (Another hell of a song to drink to)

Amon Amarth - Guardians of Asgarrd

A "brief" list of some of my most favourite songs/bands evar.

Your list is like a look into my music library, I had As Torches Rise, Vodka, Keelhauled, Guardians of Asgaard, Into Battle, and Trollhammeren all in my playlist when I read this. :lol:

But that's the thing. Why should anybody hate to admit it? It's not some sort of second class music. Just like all others, there's a lot of crap and some real gems.

I hate to admit it simply because most people would class the stuff on there as being shitty pop music - which it really isn't any more. I hate admitting for the idea of being judged on liking music from Eurovision.

I hate to admit it simply because most people would class the stuff on there as being shitty pop music - which it really isn't any more.

Of course it is, music quality is not something that can be measured universally.

I think 90% of you do not have "obscure" tastes at all. Since when has metal been "obscure"? I'd say that's pretty mainstream...

Of course it is, music quality is not something that can be measured universally.

I'd disagree. I like McDonalds, but I know it's quality is down right awful. Same with Eurovision.

All the "good" stuff on it is shitty Euro-pop. When people try to make it serious with real quality music, as England keeps trying to do, it ruins it in my opinion. Though this year, we did pretty well! Whilst the year Lordi from Finland won was awesome, It was more about the shock of seeing something like that on Eurovision and the theatrical experience of their act that won them points, not because they were genuinely perceived to be good by the masses. That year was made ever better by "We are the winners of Eurovision". Note the following year, didn't finland try soemthing quite gothic? And it flopped.

This year, my favourite act was Greece. Because it was the cheesiest and what Eurovision should be. I was wetting myself on the living room floor when he jumped in the air.

Oh Greece<3 Home of that and Feta cheese. What more could anyone want.

Edited by Arrow

Is it bad all the way through that I expected his shirt to come off =/

I think 90% of you do not have "obscure" tastes at all. Since when has metal been "obscure"? I'd say that's pretty mainstream...

I don't think the general public expects metal to include accordions and fiddles. The general idea of metal to your average person is defined by Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Korn, or so has been my experience anyway.

I don't think the general public expects metal to include accordions and fiddles. The general idea of metal to your average person is defined by Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Korn, or so has been my experience anyway.

Normally because that's a sub-genre.

I count 'obscure music' to mean music you know hardly anyone else in your circles of friends/acquaintances likes. It's not universally obscure, but then again it doesn't have to be.

The majority of my music selection (arguably a consequence of playing DDR/stepmania too much) is electronically based: so to say, stuff like electronica, trance, techno blah blah. I've also grown fond of more hardcore techno genres such as breakcore and gabber. A sizable portion of my collection of tunes have been the fault of one musician in particular: namely Renard(lolnamedrop). Considering that he's quite versatile and (as of March) he's been putting up digital albums every, like, fortnight, I have plenty to listen to. In particular, I've wanted to purchase Broken Core for a while.

Edited by Wyde

Again, I agree it depends what your circle of friends listen to. I tend not to waggle the whole "Oh I listen to more obscure music" stick in peoples faces. I listen to my fair share of mainstream...including Scooter. Yes. I like Scooter.

As for the definition of metal...that is apparently open to discussion too; my idea of metal is not what is currently played on Kerrang at all - at some point when I looked away they replaced all the thrash shows with My Chemical Romance discographies. *sad face*.

T

Normally because that's a sub-genre.

Yes but metal is rarely used as a term for anything but the collection of sub-genres defined as (insert word here) metal. Just like how Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer are thrash metal and Korn is nu-metal.

And, more to the point, since he said "90% of you" I assume he wasn't referring exclusively to the 2 or 3 people that specifically mentioned metal as itself rather than a term for it's sub-genres.

I like to think I listen to a fair number of bands outside the mainstream. Circle Takes the Square, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Fucked Up, Neutral Milk Hotel. Not bands with, like, 100 listeners on Last.fm, but stuff you wouldn't normally hear of

I count 'obscure music' to mean music you know hardly anyone else in your circles of friends/acquaintances likes. It's not universally obscure, but then again it doesn't have to be.

I don't disagree. But I would have thought most people tend to hang out with people of similar taste. So, who's friends by majority share their music taste and yet are still calling their taste obscure? Not that it matters, it is just my opinion that I don't think any of this seems that obscure. Maybe the people I know are just weird?

I don't know anyone else who likes electro-industrial, or if I do, I don't know about it. I think that's probably down to not conforming to any fashion sense associated with the genre. But more importantly, I don't know anyone else with as varied taste as my own.

SAYING ALL THIS, I'm not a very musicy person really.

I'd disagree. I like McDonalds, but I know it's quality is down right awful. Same with Eurovision.

All the "good" stuff on it is shitty Euro-pop. When people try to make it serious with real quality music, as England keeps trying to do, it ruins it in my opinion. Though this year, we did pretty well! Whilst the year Lordi from Finland won was awesome, It was more about the shock of seeing something like that on Eurovision and the theatrical experience of their act that won them points, not because they were genuinely perceived to be good by the masses. That year was made ever better by "We are the winners of Eurovision". Note the following year, didn't finland try soemthing quite gothic? And it flopped.

This year, my favourite act was Greece. Because it was the cheesiest and what Eurovision should be. I was wetting myself on the living room floor when he jumped in the air.

Well no. People say that because the camp over the top performances get all the attention. It's a pan-european process that involves all sorts of music and musicians. Next thing you know someone's gonna come here and say Patricia Kaas (France this year) and her song were "Mc Donalds" music. It's complete BS IMO. But I'm used to hearing that.

(Armenia was my favourite this year)

I don't mean to sound pretentious or anything :P I'm just rather tired of some stereotypes.

Edited by Vasco

My music isn't very obscure but my mix of genres doesn't make sense to a lot of people, which leads to them thinking I have obscure tastes. They end up hearing something they haven't heard before because they never looked there.

I listen to pretty much everything. Ska, reggae, trance, hip hop, ambient, punk, hardcore, folk. Music is music.

Edited by Badnikz

Well no. People say that because the camp over the top performances get all the attention. It's a pan-european process that involves all sorts of music and musicians. Next thing you know someone's gonna come here and say Patricia Kaas (France this year) and her song were "Mc Donalds" music. It's complete BS IMO. But I'm used to hearing that.

(Armenia was my favourite this year)

I don't mean to sound pretentious or anything :P I'm just rather tired of some stereotypes.

You don't sound pretentious at all. But it does sound like you want Eurovision to me something it's just not.

Of course, what Eurovision is, is political nonsense. By majority, people vote for their neighbouring countries, or countries they have alliances with. Which is why GB does so badly year after year, because the rest of Europe detest us. (With potentially good reason.) I just think it's frankly pathetic how stingy, for example, the Turks are with Greece and vice versa. Funny, but pathetic.

EDIT: Also, the introduction of ASIAN countries always baffles me. But they often have the best (in terms of most awful/funniest/cheesiest) acts.

Edited by Arrow

Of course, what Eurovision is, is political nonsense. By majority, people vote for their neighbouring countries, or countries they have alliances with. Which is why GB does so badly year after year, because the rest of Europe detest us. (With potentially good reason.) I just think it's frankly pathetic how stingy, for example, the Turks are with Greece and vice versa. Funny, but pathetic.

Or because most of the UK's songs this decade were, well, underwhelming? They managed good results in 2002 and 2009 for a reason.

They were no more awful than a lot of the acts who did better than us. Certainly years prior to now.

If you honestly think it's not politically driven, you are delusional. :P

I LOVE Eurovision. But, I sort of love it because it's awful...?