Awoo.

For $70 Billion The Walt Disney Company Are Set To Acquire Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. And The Deal is GO!

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon

Pardon me, sorry, a little late to the party here, but how the hell has this deal not sent the Monopoly Alarms blaring? Where are the (threats of) anti-trust lawsuits? 

Oh, okay. I guess Disney controlling a greater number of popular franchises (owning much of our pop culture) that any other media company on the planet, buying out competitors left and right, and holding unseemly amounts of power, doesn't matter as much as da new Marvel. I say this as I happily look forward to metaphorically waltzing to the movie theater on Saturday morning to catch the new Star Wars. I suppose I'm a hypocrite, then, but god damn it, I can't help what I love! ;_;

We all have beloved franchises that they now own, can't help that, I just want this thread to examine how terrifying Disney is becoming, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

After today's recent events, I'm glad Disney got it instead of fucking Comcast.

20 minutes ago, Patticus said:

Pardon me, sorry, a little late to the party here, but how the hell has this deal not sent the Monopoly Alarms blaring? Where are the (threats of) anti-trust lawsuits? 

Oh, okay. I guess Disney controlling a greater number of popular franchises (owning much of our pop culture) that any other media company on the planet, buying out competitors left and right, and holding unseemly amounts of power, doesn't matter as much as da new Marvel. I say this as I happily look forward to metaphorically waltzing to the movie theater on Saturday morning to catch the new Star Wars. I suppose I'm a hypocrite, then, but god damn it, I can't help what I love! ;_;

We all have beloved franchises that they now own, can't help that, I just want this thread to examine how terrifying Disney is becoming, I guess.

Let's face it, their end goal at this point is this:

noooo.jpg

Tbh since the moment of the announcement I actually did immediately think "surely this is actually illegal, but Disney will just Disney through that". I mean they already repeatedly pay their way out of convincingly argue for extensions on copyright law. I'm sure they will have just as easily paid their way past the laws designed to stop a monopoly like this effectively argued there's nothing untoward about owning this much as a media conglomerate.

Yeah, the truly terrifying ting about this is that if Disney manages this without so much a a hey from any lawyer, it might set a precedent for other companies to go crazy as well. Like EA.

Its cause all you have to do is say marvel and xmen to excite the masses. Most do not know business nor see the larger picture. IGN did i think. Disney is seriously the most fucking powerful studio right now.

Disney still has this ability to come off like a good company that can do no wrong in the general public eye, despite all the controversial shit they’ve gotten away with. Probably helps them that they make so much quality material as well thatits hard for the public to lash out.

unrelated: Oh god I just realized with the moves Disney has done lately, and with them getting rid of their video game division, they could very well try and buy a company like EA or Square. People they’re already doing business with.

Steamed hams is now a Disney Classic.

It's a little bit scary that only 13 years ago, Comcast was on the cusp of a hostile takeover of Disney and now Disney's bought out FOX. What a difference management makes. Sure enough this is good news for X-Men and the Fantastic Four, as well as the possibility of the original Star Wars fanfare returning (and the supposed original version of a New Hope that FOX had), but it's never good when a company buys out the competition. I say this when I absolutely love Disney, and would have preferred this over Comcast Universal though.

• Thumbs Up 7

13 hours ago, GhostOfChiliDawgYetToCome said:

Okay

even though it's still pretty much the top

how is who shot mr burns in any way the start of any sort of decline, that saga is nothing short of a masterpiece

For me, The Simpsons stopped being REALLY funny after season 10, more or less. It still had a few gems, but after the Movie everything just kinda sucked, as they made Homer too dumb. I can't even chuckle watching the newer episodes.

Anyways, all I want from this partnership is Spiderman + Deadpool movie. I think it can work just like the comics featuring both do, it's not over violent, just kinda creepy and funny. Marvel's already making dick jokes, so it's alright.

• 1 month later...

Appearently, Comcast is still in the running for buying Fox, as they are waiting to see how the AT&T and Time Warner merger plays out. If the government allows the AT&T and Time Warner merger, it seems Comcast will outbid Disney for Fox.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/avengers-and-x-men-no-more-new-report-claims-potential-third-suitor-in-disney-fox-deal

I'm still waiting for the announcement of Disney buying SSMB...

Wait...if they buy Fox...when an "Ultimate" version of MvCI comes out, they could finally add the X-Men...right?

• 5 months later...

http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Comcast-pulls-out-of-bidding-war-for-Fox-meaning-Disney-sale-all-but-certain/406895.htm

Comcast, who was competing against Disney in the buyout for Fox, reportedly has pulled out. I think there's still the scrutiny to be finished, but it's pretty clear at this point the aquisition is almost complete.

• 7 months later...

Well, with Brazil having been dealt with, this is looking to be a certainty now (until someone else tries to to stop it).

Shouldn't the title be adjusted considering that (thanks to Comcast) Disney had to put up around $70 billion for Fox?

• 3 weeks later...

Confirmed by Fox itself, the deal is complete.

Marvel stuff aside, now Disney owns some of the most lucrative, biggest and important movie/TV franchises like Alien, Predator, Die Hard, James Cameron's Avatar, The Simpsons, Futurama, King of the Hill and so on. Here's hoping they'll get treated better than what Fox was doing.
Also, it's so ironic that if Disney waited long enough they could have bought Lucasfilm with this manouver as well.

4000 jobs will be lost but hey we might get the X-Men in the MCU so that's freaking epic

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Unfortunatly jobs would have been cut no matter who ended up buying Fox.

Better it was by Disney than Comcast.

• Thumbs Up 1

oh god it actually happened

I know I made a brainless post earlier in this topic, but this can be a terrible, terrible thing. I do not wish for Disney to take so much, and yet we have entered this odd reality. I wonder what this could mean?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/14/2017 at 8:35 AM, Polkadi~♪ said:

Mutants and X-Men in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Oh heck yes. HECK. YES.

Guys and gals, y'all don't know how much I wanted this. This is the best thing ever.

9 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

oh god it actually happened

I know I made a brainless post earlier in this topic, but this can be a terrible, terrible thing. I do not wish for Disney to take so much, and yet we have entered this odd reality. I wonder what this could mean?

My, how the times may have changed.

I’m curious to see how Disney will handle non-family friendly properties like the Simpsons and Deadpool.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Fitzroy said:

My, how the times may have changed.

When the implications of this buyout settled in past first impressions, I was terrified of what it could mean when it went through.

I never said these thoughts on this topic, contrary to my memories. Sure, there are some cool things, but the negatives vastly outweigh them.

2 minutes ago, Kiggy Queen said:

I’m curious to see how Disney will handle non-family friendly properties like the Simpsons and Deadpool.

7fb0363dfa9beb2275f1ca3df8f6bda6

Well, they certainly haven't hesitated including them in their foresight.

• Thumbs Up 1