Awoo.

Can you suggest non-violent/cheerful games for the Xbox 360?

Apollo Chungus

Recently, I've been getting back into playing my Xbox 360, and I'm itching to play games I'd previously ignored. However, it only took a quick glance at the local CeX to realize how much of the system's library is made up of games about death, war, murder and other grisly subjects. I don't have a problem with them, but I'm in no mind for them at the moment.

With that in mind, can anyone recommend me 360, XBLA or OG Xbox games that are either non-violent or a light and cheerful affair? If you want examples, some games I've been playing include:

Amped 3
Spider-Man 2
Switchball

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Blinx games. Give Blinx the Time Sweeper or Blinx 2 a shot. They should be playable on the 360 despite being OG Xbox games.

also, somebody make a blinx 3, please. i'll buy twenty copies.

• Thumbs Up 4

There was an addictive side scrolling platformer/puzzle game I remember playing on Xbox Live. It is violent, but it's more like over the top, cartoon violence.

Splosion-Man-1280x720.jpg

If you end up liking it, there is also a sequel called Ms. 'Splosion Man.

meristation_splosionman_review_13.jpg?13

Looking at that picture again after so much time....that actually is pretty gory. But their isn't any blood. You could watch gameplay footage if in doubt.

XBOX 360:

Beautiful Katamari

Rayman Legends

Test Drive Unlimited

XBOX OG:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X (Best version of THPS 1 and 2)

Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey

Pac-Man World 3

Jet Set Radio Future

SSX 3, Tricky and On Tour

OutRun 2

Worms 4 Mayhem

XBLA:

Banjo Games Bundle (Banjo-Kazooie + Tooie)

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (remake of the Sega Genesis game)

DuckTales: Remastered

Sam & Max Save the World

Runner2

• Thumbs Up 2

While the story can be very political/philosophical, the violence in Eternal Sonata is more cartoony. Get the PS3 version, if you want a more complete package.

It's an RPG about a real-life pianist, on the night of his end. A dream world where musical anachronisms run commonly. It also doubles as education for kids, as there's cutscenes about Frederic Chopin's actual life. These moments have paintings and text accompanied by music he composed in life. It gets even better with all of the playable characters besides Frederic being named after music terms.

It does get kind of confusing, but the game has a scene that indirectly acknowledges about how music is considered art, but games are left in the dust. Just be warned that one of the tunes in the game is probably one of the most heart-crushing tunes in video games, in my opinion.

Might I suggest DBZ Burst Limit? It's like a much better version of Budokai 1, in some ways. There's even a what-if scenario with Bardock getting to fight Goku.

I might also suggest some of the arcade games that were brought to XBLA. I think they had games from the adorable days of early Namco. Galaga and Pac-Man come to mind.

I can understand what you mean considering one of the main strengths of the Xbox consoles are its more maturer and violent library even back during the OG days while the Sony and the Nintendo consoles are more family friendly or at least balanced across various demographics. One question that I have to ask, do you like racing games? If you do it is at least much easier to answer since many of the non-violent games from the Xbox consoles are from that genre. I would have mentioned the Forza series, Project Gotham Racing series, Burnout Revenge, Split/Second, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (got it on the PS3 but the 360 version also has Banjo Kazooie in it), Test Drive Unlimited and some of the Need for Speed series as possible choices.

So for the 360, hmm... Well there's the LEGO series and because there are so many of them from LEGO Star Wars 2 all the way to LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens choose the ones that interest you. They play similar enough with the later ones have an explorable open world and some are buggier than others but do have different settings and characters. It has around about the same violence as the Spider-Man game as in some light punches and kicks, if they shoot they are usually lasers.

Then there are the two Rayman games, Origins and Legends if you want a light hearted platformer. While the 7th generation doesn't have as good Spider-Man games, one that is often liked is Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions. It is more linear however it has 4 different Spider-Men that you can play each with their different styles. Got to play a little bit and enjoyed what little I have played of it but can get a bit pricey to get.

For someone who has at least nearly half of the entire PAL original Xbox library, I can go much deeper regarding recommendations. I don't know if they work on the backwards compatibility on the 360 or the Xbox One though so not sure about that so you might have to check on Microsoft's website.

If you like Amped 3, then SSX Tricky should be up your street. If you can't find that or it doesn't work then SSX 3 will do. In case you are wondering, some of the very early EA games on the OG are a little bit harder to find then they should be. On similar lines if you like basketball, I would have recommended NBA Street vol. 2 as it has a similar style but sadly doesn't work on the 360.

There isn't much for the platformers front but it does have two Crash Bandicoot games. Wrath of Cortex that is technically and graphically superior to the other consoles so if you like Crash 3, give it a shot even though perhaps it isn't as good as that game. Twinsanity is often considered the better of the two however it is one of the few OG Xbox titles that are well known that I don't have and it is an unfinished game. Also seconding Blinx, not fantastic but its decent enough and that Naoto Ohshima has worked on the games as well as some Sega music staff too. I would have easily recommended Prince of Persia: Sands of Time however it does have a touch of violence in it. The Ty the Tasmanian Tiger series are also on the console however personally only found the 2nd (1st one on the Gamecube, 3rd one was Australian only for the PAL regions) and that they have PC remasters so that might be better checking those out. Again would have recommended Rayman 3 but it doesn't work on the 360, there is I think a HD remaster though on XBLA but might be a bit glitcher and cut the intro that the OG version had.

Since you have Spider-Man 2, then try its semi-sequel Ultimate Spider-Man since it uses the same engine but has a more cartoon look.

If you know me, there are two that I highly recommend since they are my favourites of all time, they are Burnout 3 and OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast. These two are also well liked by driving/racing games especially Burnout 3 where people want EA to remaster the game. Also on similar lines, you can enjoy OutRun 2 and Burnout 2 as well.

For the other Sega stuff, there's Super Monkey Ball Deluxe that is a combination of the first two games and Puyo Puyo Fever if you like a puzzle game however while checking, it only works on US 360s though and Crazy Taxi 3 doesn't work on the 360. Would have also recommended Jet Set Radio Future, again has a touch of violence though.

@Cayenne As far as I'm aware Apollo Chungus lives in the PAL region so he can't play Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X as the game was launched before the console came out and was skipped for 3. A shame since it sounded like a great game to play and Europe didn't get it. Plus I don't think he has an OG Xbox.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, King Koopone said:

As far as I'm aware Apollo Chungus lives in the PAL region so he can't play Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X as the game was launched before the console came out and was skipped for 3. A shame since it sounded like a great game to play and Europe didn't get it. Plus I don't think he has an OG Xbox.

Whoops, my bad. I didn't know THPS 2X wasn't released there.

Worms 4, SSX on Tour and Pac-Man World aside, all these OG Xbox games are backwards compatible with the 360, though. JSRF has a bit of slowdown in some places but isn't unplayable.

Holy hell, that's a lot of feedback in just a couple of hours! I'll start by addressing the whole non-violence point.

I have no problem with violence in video games, but there's a specific brand of violence I'd like to avoid at the moment: very realistic violence (typically involving weapons, bombs and war) with either an almost-propaganda like boner for those ideals, or an overly depressing or grim outlook in general. Those are concepts that hit a bit too close to home for me right now, and I'd like to avoid them. I don't mind games with other kinds of violence (you can recommend some beat-em-ups if you want), but I would just like to avoid the depressing military shooters.

Also, to answer this question:

1 hour ago, King Koopone said:

As far as I'm aware Apollo Chungus lives in the PAL region so he can't play Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X as the game was launched before the console came out and was skipped for 3. A shame since it sounded like a great game to play and Europe didn't get it. Plus I don't think he has an OG Xbox.

I do live in the PAL region, which means I can't play 2X (annoying as it is), but there's still a good deal of games I could tackle. If you want to go in-depth on the PAL games you think I might like, do so by all means. I can check on my own time as to what I can and can't play, so it's no problem.

Anyhow, thank you all again for replying so far. It's given me a few ideas of where to go, and I really appreciate it! :)

Sonic 06!!!

All the Lego Videogames!

Toy Story 3

Any Toys 2 Life game - Disney Infinity/Lego Universe/Skylanders

not a 360 owner, but you need to play rayman origins or legends. i don't own legends, but i do own origins on the PS3. it's great, go play it. (rayman legends is better but i've only played the demo)

That game made by a indie creator during that competition thing Microsoft held, “Doritos Crash Course” was surprisingly addicting. It’s like ninja warrior, but with your avatar and over the top wacky.