Awoo.

Super Sonic DLC for Forces out Dec 22 - €1.99, Free Until Jan 23

Tracker_TD

Oh no what is you doing Sega??

The Super Sonic DLC isn’t even that special from the looks of it, just a reskin. He doesn’t go faster, he doesn’t have special abilities...talk about fucking lazy. And to think I even wanted Super Sonic in this hot mess of a Sonic game. 

I mean, I’m still going to get it cos it’s free and all but how can you screw this up? I swear to God if this is the only DLC we’re getting for Sonic Forces I’m going to laugh. 

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Actually Sega has to abide by consumer law so they cant do what they like and whilst you can spend your money however you like, at the moment it's a really stupid move to charge for this and I've seen utterly nothing to justify it.

They are in their rights to charge for dlc as all companies are able from mario to call of duty. 2 dollars for a skin is silly but in their right. Im not saying i want my SS hidden behind a paywall but if thats the only way (whichi ll be downloading it for Free) ill do it. Ill grumble about it, but ill pay it.

Oh, boy...Lol

Two dollars isn't much but it's a feature that should've been in the game in the first place. Also It's weird that they charge money for super sonic but the shadow episode is completely free.

Yeah, this probably the most dumbest, pointless DLC I've seen in a while. Haha

Yeesh talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel so much that it ends up broken. A face-palm is just not enough to cover the sheer ineptitude of what Sega did in regards to this game.

Wow... Just wow. How could anyone approve of this idea especially when the Shadow DLC was free and had slight effort put into it? Hopefully no one actually buys this after the free period.

I.. don't see this as that big of a deal, personally.

If you do, fine, it just doesn't seem like much to get super angry about.

13 minutes ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

Charging for a staple thing that’s been part of the game since the beginning seems like a reasonable thing to get upset about 

So Sega has hidden the code somewhere in the game, to be unlocked by buying Chaos Emeralds? 

People. This sort of act is up there with the cheapest of tricks gaming companies can pull off.

EA can fuck off. Capcom can fuck off. And certainly Sega can do the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Charging for a staple thing that’s been part of the game since the beginning seems like a reasonable thing to get upset about 

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that, especially if it's not required to beat the game and is just a totally optional extra thing.

59 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Oh no what is you doing Sega??

The Super Sonic DLC isn’t even that special from the looks of it, just a reskin. He doesn’t go faster, he doesn’t have special abilities...talk about fucking lazy. And to think I even wanted Super Sonic in this hot mess of a Sonic game. 

I mean, I’m still going to get it cos it’s free and all but how can you screw this up? I swear to God if this is the only DLC we’re getting for Sonic Forces I’m going to laugh. 

Yeah. I mean, I was never exactly sold on Super Sonic to begin with (mostly from my perspective, its controls are too floaty, its associated with a few of my least favorite Sonic boss fights, by the time you get it you're skilled enough to have utterly no use for it, and its become a tired cliche to end Sonic games on) but this does nothing to convince me otherwise. Honestly, I actually tend to prefer playing the special stages and collecting medals, red rings, etc. that you need to do to unlock Super Sonic than actually playing as Super Sonic. So I'm just gonna skip this DLC when I get my hands on Forces, whether its free or not free.

I kind of wonder if they have more plans and things lined up, or if they're just releasing what they have that's in an acceptable enough state.

7 minutes ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

Its an outdated sort of thing that people frown on for DLC. It was more acceptable in the early days of online DLC when memory was at a premium and people hadn't established basic standards for what they want out of online DLC yet. But these days its usually condemned as a pay gate that charges players for stuff they already purchased when they bought the game.

I honestly don't see this as quite as bad as microtransactions--- a word which I am increasingly coming to find is meaningless as people are increasingly just using it to refer to DLC they don't like "microtransactions" these days. But if we go by what microtransactions actually originally referred to-- that is to say, companies repeatedly requiring you to pay small fees within the game to get and continue to get an unfair advantage over other players, this is pretty mild. Besides, contrary to what a lot of the jokes seem to imply, you only have to buy it once. It therefore doesn't fit the original definition of microtransaction. Stuff that does fit the original definition of microtransactions doesn't really exist in Forces.

I mean, its a dick move and poor planning, but not all ill-conceived DLC is microtransactions.

I mean, I get being upset, disappointed, etc. by this and I am right with you guys there in terms of disappointment, but I feel like some folks here and elsewhere are blowing it out of proportion. It also concerns me that "microtransactions" and "DLC" are slowly becoming synonymous in the minds of gamers-- they are absolutely not the same exact thing, acting like they are the same thing is an insult to DLC that is actually well-implemented, and you can have low priced, ill-conceived DLC without it being charged for enough times in game to count as microtransactions.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that, especially if it's not required to beat the game and is just a totally optional extra thing.

Paying for Super Sonic, a feature which has been included in most games one way or the other (and love for that matter), should never suddenly be made a paid thing.

This is a very cheap move which does not benefit the fans. Especially with how half assed Super Sonic has been implemented here.

9 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I think it's dumb, but mostly because it's really lazy dlc that seems like it's been finished for a while. A playable Super Sonic has never been guaranteed in the series, and the base game doesn't even include Super Sonic at all, not even in the final boss, so I don't see it as something we were entitled to get for free.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

Paying for Super Sonic, a feature which has been included in most games one way or the other (and love for that matter), should never suddenly be made a paid thing.

This is a very cheap move which does not benefit the fans. Especially with how half assed Super Sonic has been implemented here.

-shrug- If that's your opinion, that's fine. I just don't see it as that big of a deal, and certainly nothing that warrants anger.

12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I think it's dumb, but mostly because it's really lazy dlc that seems like it's been finished for a while. A playable Super Sonic has never been guaranteed in the series, and the base game doesn't even include Super Sonic at all, not even in the final boss, so I don't see it as something we were entitled to get for free.

I'm kind of in the same boat is this. There's no extra Super level locked behind DLC or anything. if you look at it objectively it's just something that makes you invincible. I think it's the worst look for a game that already has a bad look to pull something like this. though 

It's also just kind of a stupid offer. Super Sonic is fun to mess around with, but it never really enhanced the game in a meaningful enough way that I would pay for him if you asked me to in the first place, even putting aside that it's been free in every game it's in. There are a few games where I'd a pay extra to have the sections that he's in chopped and replaced with something else.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, SaberX said:

I wasn't kidding when I said some people are fine with such practices. Is homing attack or spin dash mandatory to beat the game nowadays? Just asking :)

Maybe its a good call to remember that you guys are missing the point. Like, entirelly.

Buuuut...if we're playing the "opinion" card game then sure thing dude, the same happens to the guy who thinks the opposite. This doesn't bother me at all since I have Mania and can play as Super Sonic, Super Tails and Super Knuckles for free. It's just sad  that Forces players who want to play with Super Sonic have to paid for it.

No, I don't believe I'm missing the point. Some people don't like that it's paid DLC. I get that. I don't particularly like that it's paid DLC.

I just don't see it as something to get angry or upset about, especially considering that it's not an essential part of the game. If it was an essential part of the game that you needed in order to beat the game to completion, then I could understand that. But even then, it just seems like people get SO upset over things that, in my opinion, aren't as big of a deal as people make them out to be.

And yeah, that's just how I look at it. I know that other people feel entirely different, and that's fine. We can all voice our opinions here. Mine happens to be that in this particular case, given what I know about the game and the DLC and even about how Super Sonic was included in some of the past games, the anger and upset-ness is kinda silly and unnecessary.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally I put it in the same boat as when Konami charged for the tuxedo outfit in MGSV. Something that’s always been free and a bonus, suddenly being gated off by a paywall. It’s just a shitty business move to me even if it’s “optional”. It being optional for me is not a great excuse(as we’re all very aware of my thoughts on that excuse when used to defend microtransactions.)

3 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Oh really? And since when do you ever saw a DLC in any game that is needed to beat the game?

Not very often, that's for sure. I can't recall any instances off the top of my head.

Which is why I never really have much of a problem with any optional DLC. If I don't like the DLC, or I don't think it's worth the amount of money being charged, I just don't mess with it. Doesn't mean I haven't found some DLC for other games to be ridiculously priced for what you get.

This, to me, just doesn't seem ridiculous for what you're getting. And again, I wish it WAS free, but it's not worth getting legitimately upset because it's not. That's how I see it.

The thing is, it’s not optional to have an incomplete game with dlc that WAS part of the game and just cut out and resold to us. If this is on disc content, that’s shit. It being optional or not, really has no bearing to me on that 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, SaberX said:

DLCs is an add on dude. It can't be something that you needed to beat the game, its optional. See the point now?

Well, if it’s an optional add-on that wasn’t promised as free DLC in the first place, then that to me makes it even less of an issue in my opinion.

My main issue isn’t that people don’t like the idea of this being paid DLC, it’s moreso that the reaction to it seems disproportionate to the issue at hand. Making a big deal out of something really small and inoffensive.

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Nobody’s claiming this is the worst thing ever(this isn’t Konami, Activision or EA levels of stupid), however this is still a shitty thing that is only done out of greed. That’s all we’re saying. We expected better of Sega 

And that’s fine, I never said that people weren’t allowed to feel that way. I was just giving my opinion that it seems like people are blowing it way out of proportion to me.

1 hour ago, SaberX said:

Oh really? And since when do you ever saw a DLC in any game that is needed to beat the game?

Not necessarily to beat the game, but Sega and Sonic Team really got into hot water when it packaged a necessary patch for 100%ing Sonic Unleashed HD in paid DLC (for Chun-nan, no less) and didn't even advertise this fact well. The glitch in question occurred in some copies of the game where the quiz lady randomly never appears in Shamar's hub-- once she fails to appear in Shamar when she's supposed to once, she will never appear again in Shamar on that save file again and you'd have to wipe your save completely and hope it didn't happen in the new file if you want to complete all the missions and get all the artbooks. Worse, Shamar is so goddamned big that its easy to miss that the glitch even happened and instead assume that you simply didn't find the area she's standing around in-- oblivious to the fact that you're basically going on a snipe hunt, and you can continue to be oblivious to this right up until her Shamar quiz are the only ones left to do. Worse, even if you start up a new save and gun for her the moment she does show up, if you fail the quiz, there's a chance she might move to another hub, meaning that there's a risk of the glitch happening when she tries to go back to Shamar again.

Its still the only way to patch that bug too, though if I recall correctly it was also fixed in copies of Unleashed that were manufactured later on. (For the record, if your copy of the game was affected by the glitch and you've done most everything else in terms of missions and such, there's no shame in downloading a save file from a reputable place online where the game has already been 100% completed. Shouldn't have to, but its unfortunately the least frustrating way to 100% complete affected copies)

Yeah, I can totally understand the shit Sega and Sonic Team got for that one. As well as concerns that they would pull those kinds of antics in the future-- there was even some precedent given how Sonic 06, despite the state it was released in, also got paid DLC for Hard Mode (which is available for free for previous Sonic games that had it... and as if 06 needed to be less fair and harder lol) and some other thing that was pretty superfluous.

The problem is, I see Forces getting similar sort of shit for money grubbing with something that by no means is good, but not nearly as bad as putting a critical patch in paid DLC either. There's also not a strong precedent for this in Modern Sonic anymore, and yet people have already taken it that the next Sonic might as well have loot boxes (when that isn't even close to what this DLC is doing ffs). Hell, some folks have been calling this a microtransaction. This isn't a microtransaction-- you only pay for it once and you don't do so in-game to my knowledge. It doesn't even have to be a microtransaction to be bad DLC (gonna leave it there that ol' necessary Unleashed patch in paid DLC wasn't a microtransaction either and that particular one is actually worse to me than microtransactions). And you know, I really have seen Sega being compared to Konami/EA/etc. because of this and even calling it an act of evil incompetance.

Which sucks for me because I really don't want to feel like I have to defend the Super Sonic DLC for Forces. It is terrible DLC. None of the dramatics or exaggerations are needed to prove its terrible. What it is alone provides plenty of fodder for criticism. I mean, its like blaming Ken Penders for everything bad that happens with Archie Sonic-- do we really need to condemn him for everything wrong with Archie Sonic to prove he's a terrible writer? No, of course not, his work does a fine job of that on its own. Similar principle here.

• Thumbs Up 1