Awoo.

Which game's scoring system do you like the best ?

superman43

As title says, what is your opinion on scoring system throughout the Sonic games ?

I particularly like the Classic one (Sonic 1,2, 3, &K, Mania), Heroes and Generations. I quite hate Colors and Forces as the score looks to be a too high numeral, far removed from other Sonic games.

Another thing is that since Sonic Adventure 2 there are Ranks. It started for SA2 and Heroes with A-E, then S was added and E was dropped firstly and with Forces even D was dropped. I quite like that Generations awards you with S Rank only if you get an A Rank without losing a life, though I don´t think it was necessary for every rank to be upped when no life lost.

I honestly really liked SA2's scoring system, as painful as it was. It required you to really learn the ins and outs of the game to get the highest score possible. It was not about being the fastest (though that did factor in), it was about having the highest score by performing tricks, destroying enemies in combos, collecting emerald pieces with no hints, and more. Especially when you work your butt off to try and get that high score, and you just have this heart stopping moment as you hope you got a score high enough for an A rank.

For all it's worth, SA2 made you test your mettle.

• Thumbs Up 6

Regarding the rank system, i still think Unleashed did it the best way, it's not easy to get an S rank like in some other games (e.g Generations), it have all the ranks, from S to E, and the scoring system "Speed (time to finish the level) X Enemies (points earned by defeating enemies) X Rings" is balanced in a way that you need to pay attention to all three to have a good rank at the end (k, Rings not so much but still), if you just speed your way to the end without taking out any enemies and having few rings you most likely won't have an S or even an A, same thing if you take out a lot of enemies but stays in the level for 10+ minutes.

• Nice Smile 1

Definitely gonna have to second SA2, because unlike a lot of other scoring systems it actually promotes the level design in its own unique way and actively rewards flair and routing in a way nothing else in the series has really ever come close to. To be perfectly honest there's only one thing I'd ever change about it, and that would be grading flair and time separately, if only because it's just a little weird that TAS level speedruns can be graded any less than perfect otherwise.

Generations is a really distant second to me. Like a lot of modern ranking systems it was ultimately too damn easy to ace, but it seemed like the first time the series realized that dying removed any chance you got at a decent rank, and not only fixed that problem but still kept the status quo anyway by giving you an extra rank up for not dying. If the point requirements were a little more strict it could've been a really nice happy medium.

A lot of people are pointing out SA2, but I can't really think of a Sonic game that handles scoring poorly besides Generations. SA2 was good on giving you feedback for things like the Classics did, and that's really important imo, but the other games often gave you scores for similar things. It just didn't actually emphasize your score at all which I think is kind of weird.

It's a little rough in execution, but I like the concept behind SA2's, specifically how it rewarded you extra points for doing things that are cool and stylish. Grind this optional rail, do a trick off this ramp, grab the highest handle on the rocket, things like that. It encourages you to play like Sonic acts; not just taking the most straightforward or most efficient routes, but seeking out cool stunts for their own sake.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Believe it or not, I think Sonic Runners has a great scoring system. The game is built heavily around it, and everything you collect and interact with adds up those numbers. It places a strong emphasis on chaining combos and keeping your multipliers up. Every time you get an opportunity to gain extra points, it's exciting, the colors cycle and change as your numbers increase, it's all just really satisfying.

Until you get hit and lose your multiplier. 

2 hours ago, Josh said:

A lot of people are pointing out SA2, but I can't really think of a Sonic game that handles scoring poorly besides Generations. SA2 was good on giving you feedback for things like the Classics did, and that's really important imo, but the other games often gave you scores for similar things. It just didn't actually emphasize your score at all which I think is kind of weird.

Aside from Generations (it's worth noting that ranks are a bit harder to obtain in the 3DS version), I don't like getting ranks in Colors Wii. It pretty much boils down to doing as many repetitive tasks as possible like using wisps or sidestepping, rather than doing anything particularly well.

• Nice Smile 1

I remember literally nothing about its scoring system, and come to that I don't remember ever paying attention to the scoring system in any Sonic game, but it was pretty satisfying pulling off tricks in the Rush games and I assume it must have gotten you a higher score in addition to increasing Boost.  I could get on-board with a style-based scoring system and gameplay.