Awoo.

Does anyone else think the Avatar's gameplay could be tweaked to work for Silver?

ShadowSJG

You could tweak it to work for anyone. It's basically just "guy with gun", and anyone can gun if they really want.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

Probably yes, just use that green air gun as "telekinetic push" and "telekinetic flight". But do we want this?

Yes, avatar's customization is one of better aspect of the game. But his gameplay is just crippled Sonic.

I mean, classic Sonic works badly in this game, but we know it can work (Sonic 1-3, CD, Mania). I have doubts Avatar gameplay can be done better.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Probably yes, just use that green air gun as "telekinetic push" and "telekinetic flight". But do we want this?

Yes, avatar's customization is one of better aspect of the game. But his gameplay is just crippled Sonic.

I mean, classic Sonic works badly in this game, but we know it can work (Sonic 1-3, CD, Mania). I have doubts Avatar gameplay can be done better.

Unfortunatley, Iizuka has said that people complained about alternative gameplay styles in Sonic games and at the end, people still want to play a Sonic Game. Being a crippled Sonic is the way to go.

1 hour ago, ShadowSJG said:

Unfortunatley, Iizuka has said that people complained about alternative gameplay styles in Sonic games and at the end, people still want to play a Sonic Game. Being a crippled Sonic is the way to go.

You're missing my point.

Classic Sonic: can be done badly. can be done right

Classic Tails: same thing even if his gameplay is very similar to Sonic.

Modern Sonic: Can be done badly, can be done right

Modern Avatar: Can be done badly.

Yes, he's very similar to Sonic, but I don't think he can be fixed. Avatar is third attemp to mix shooting with Sonic platforming (after Gamma and Shadow) and so far it never worked.

The mistake people keep making is that Sonic was never combat-focused (like Megaman or Ratchet & Clank). Every badnik needs to be defeatable in second and keep moving forward. So best way to add extra characters is give them unique movement (Tails, Knuckles, arguably Blaze and Wisps), not new way of attacking (Shadow, Avatar).

(Heroes did half-this, half this. I'm not counting Werehog since his gameplay is pretty much seperate from Sonic).

• Thumbs Up 1

...Why Silver?  I thought Tails was the character people were saying could've used the Avatar's playstyle.

Also, Fun Fact: if Nolan from PizzaPartyPodcast is to be of any indication, Sonic Forces was apparently just supposed to be a game built around the Avatar originally. I haven't looked into it myself yet, but I thought it was worth mentioning since I haven't seen anyone do so here.

I... actually wouldn't mind this. Silver is my favorite in the franchise and I'd give anything to play as him again. xD; In all seriousness, though, I do think it's possible to just replace models in the game with other characters to make it work relatively the same. Kinda... sorta. Shadow isn't a complete re-skin of Sonic in Forces, but it's an example of how it could work.

• 1 month later...

A grapple-hooking Silver with a gun?

Now we're entering bad fanfiction territory.

1 hour ago, Almar said:

I'm sure the idea is that Silver wouldn't have the gun and Avatar's abilities would be translated into psychic power.

Silver could levitate and move stuff.

But he was never able to make a grappling hook out of nowhere.

15 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

Silver could levitate and move stuff.

But he was never able to make a grappling hook out of nowhere.

It's time to make that leaf on his head useful for something then

There's only one thing gameplay-wise I see the Avatar and Silver's powers having in common, and that's how the Hover Wispon functions.

I could see a way of turning that wispon's abilities into psychic powers. Other than that, I've got nothing.

20 minutes ago, Razule said:

It's time to make that leaf on his head useful for something then

You can just make Vector sell it.

After all, he seems to have

• An unpaid rent
  • Some unfinished business with big Louie and Small Louie
  • Fees
  • A desperate need for an MP3 player (God, what does he connect his headphones to?)

Come on Sega, you did it with Shadow, now go and fix the other characters' personal issues.