Awoo.

What's YOUR Version of Sonic Mania?

JcPix451

Sonic Mania was the title that sparked us kids and taught us how our parents used to play Sonic. But many people are saying bad things about it. One reason is that the majority of levels are remakes. Another is that they don't explain some transitions (take from Lava Reef to Metallic Madness for example. WHAT?!). Well, like the example below, you can share your idea of what Sonic Mania would be like if YOU were one of the developers.

My zone list would be:

Emerald Hill (Because Green Hill was already remade)

Mystic Cave (Because Chemical Plant was already remade)

Studiopolis

Wing Fortress (Because Flying Battery is too popular)

Press Garden

Stardust Speedway

Vegan Ocean (Sorry I had to take Hydrocity out, but at least this new zone can be a water level)

Mirage Saloon

Sandopolis (Mirage means "illusion", so what would happen if Mirage Saloon was just an illusion and when the boss is defeated, everything turns normal again?)

Horizon Heights (SBTS is awesome)

Titanic Monarch (Moved it because nobody felt like it was a final level)

Heavy Variation (Here's a good idea: miniboss is all Heavies combined and boss is all bosses combined)

The playable characters could be: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy (Who wants classic Amy back? I want her back.)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JcPix451 said:

Sonic Mania was the title that sparked us kids and taught us how our parents used to play Sonic. 

I.. think the age range of this forum is a bit older than you think. 

Meh, I'm mostly fine with it as it is. Add some more level transitions, more new levels would've been nice, but hopefully Mania 2 will deliver.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm older than most at 28. The game is not bad. For me it's just another sonic. While many will sing it praises it just feels like more of the same from the 90s. granted growing up I didn't have 9 games to switch out all the time. I literally grew up with sonic cause my folks didn't want us playing games to much. So I played sonic more than any series. So mania is felt both like a flashback to my childhood. Good

for a bit noting great cause it was more of the same. If i had to pick a stage I just had to see remade it be

Chrome gadget

Emerald hill

Metropolis

Spring hill

Ice Cap

Or just make a gauntlet where you fight every final boss from every 2d sonic in a row back to back

I'd keep it exactly the same with two changes: Press Garden's act 2 is set during the spring, autumn or fall. My second change would be to replace Flying Battery with Ice Cap.

Posts that were not contributing to the actual topic-which in some instances including mocking of the OP-were removed. It should be a given that within a topic the replies should be in line with the topic at hand and contribute to actual discussion.

Even if something is said in error it can be and should be acknowledged and contested if one so chooses so in a respectful manner and not some of the mean-spiritedness that was displayed as that is not the environment we wish to establish here. Especially towards a new member to our community here at the SSMB.

As for the topic at hand I have no problem with any of the levels both old and new and wouldn’t change a thing. If anything I would love to have seen Angel Island and Carnival Night Zone in Mania. And I’ve always wanted Chrome Gadget to be a playable level aside from the competition mode for as long as I can remember. All the reused levels all had fresh takes to them and almost felt like entirely new levels and I could see that happening here with these as well. I could only imagine the sweet remixes that would come about on what was already in my opinion an amazing soundtrack. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 29/12/2017 at 7:05 AM, JcPix451 said:

Sonic Mania was the title that sparked us kids and taught us how our parents used to play Sonic. But many people are saying bad things about it.

I like the innocence in this statement. The kerfuffle over stage reuse doesn't really count as 'many' people or even 'some' people.

In any case, although I certainly would never and should never be allowed a Classic Sonic game development cycle, being the idiot that I am, I'd still really like more than five original zones. Actually I'd have preferred the game be all-original zones. Mania's only really halfway to a good strong identity the way it ended up being, and it'd be interesting to feel like we're actually moving in a positive direction after stepping back instead of just edging along within our comfort zone.

Not that it isn't obviously highly profitable to stay inside that comfort zone, of course.