Awoo.

Sonic Forces sells an estimated 234,000 units worldwide in the first week at retail.

SatAMhog

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/270994/sonic-forces-sells-an-estimated-234000-units-first-week-at-retail/

This is for ALL platforms..I guess the price point helped it's initial release.  It did the best on the Switch, 2nd place for PS4, and third place for the Xbox.  I think Mania's prior release also helped in the numbers as well considering it did far better.  Well done and overall good 2017 for Sonic.

Even if the sales are putting Sega in the black, the review scores are still in the yellow.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2

I was worried that it would’ve been MUCH less given the lackluster reviews and lack of promotion. I’m glad to see that I was wrong.

I wonder if it’s perhaps at 500,000 at this point. I could see that being possible.

3 minutes ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

I was worried that it would’ve been MUCH less given the lackluster reviews and lack of promotion. I’m glad to see that I was wrong.

You do realise that this figure is completely made up?

In fact can a mod edit the OP to include that because I can't believe people still take that site seriously anymore.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

I wonder if it’s perhaps at 500,000 at this point. I could see that being possible.

I'd withhold judgement until a source besides vgchartz gives some numbers. Its notoriously inaccurate as the site owners don't have enough access to sales data to make anything more than guesses.

[Dammit, ninja'd by Hogfather.]

----------

SteamSpy has the number of Forces owners at 29,382 since it first released, however that number only reflects PC owners that bought Forces. And really, thanks to the whole Denovu debacle turning a lot of people away from the Steam version on a higher level than Mania's debacle with Denovu did, I doubt PC sales for Forces were really going to be the strongest anyway, so it doesn't necessarily reflect how other versions did in terms of sales.

• Thumbs Up 3

You mean it sold what a normal bad 3D Sonic game does?

While Mania sold what a good Sonic game does?

Stop the freaking presses.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3

28 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

I'd withhold judgement until a source besides vgchartz gives some numbers. Its notoriously inaccurate as the site owners don't have enough access to sales data to make anything more than guesses.

[Dammit, ninja'd by Hogfather.]

----------

SteamSpy has the number of Forces owners at 29,382 since it first released, however that number only reflects PC owners that bought Forces. And really, thanks to the whole Denovu debacle turning a lot of people away from the Steam version on a higher level than Mania's debacle with Denovu did, I doubt PC sales for Forces were really going to be the strongest anyway, so it doesn't necessarily reflect how other versions did in terms of sales.

Ah, I see. I’ll keep that in mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

I find it kind of amusing how Forces was in the Nintendo eShop's Holiday sales after being out for such a short time.

They really didn't believe in it that much. Dunno though how that'll affect the sells. And if we'll ever know how it sold, I have no idea how Sega rounds its numbers...

C'mon, the game isn't the worst, at least I think so... I can actually play it.

• Nice Smile 1

9 hours ago, BlueSky said:

C'mon, the game isn't the worst, at least I think so... I can actually play it.

I can play a lot of other games too! ;)

^Well yeah, so can I, but they're usually from different genres.

You know, no-platformey games, no need to fear falling etc. stuff, stuff like FE and so on...

---

Still I remember seeing Forces in one of those Switch listings, though Mania was a bit upper one in that list... :wacko:

• Nice Smile 1

According to this source, Sonic Forces had a solid launch in the UK, outselling Odyssey on all formats (though Odyssey pulls ahead on the Switch format compared to Forces Switch format).

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/11/sonic_forces_on_switch_has_solid_uk_launch_as_doom_moves_up_the_charts

On the other hand, Forces isn't doing so hot in Japan.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/11/sonic_forces_struggles_in_japan_as_super_mario_odyssey_and_switch_lead_charts

Given how this stuff is from November though, I don't think this is anything we didn't know about beforehand. But hey, if this is gonna be the Forces sales thread, its important to put this stuff out there.

Though I am by no means psychic, games that do solidly in at least one region on launch typically do well enough to break even or at least make a profit-- this is because most games make the bulk of their returns off of purchases made in the first three months. Now, there are exceptions to this (Pokemon Red and Blue come to mind, as the games were initially flops in the first three months but people steadily kept purchasing the games after that three month period, until eventually enough fans accumulated to lay the foundation for one of the largest franchises still around) and Forces could be one of them (in a variety of ways including and besides the aforementioned Red and Blue), but for the most part, games follow that pattern pretty closely.

I mostly point this out for people who are priming themselves for Forces to flop. Because there's a good chance it might do decently if nothing else and if that does indeed turn out to be the case (or maybe even better), I don't want to see anybody expressing their shock and disappointment by antagonizing Forces fans or ordering them to return their copy now if it doesn't sell the way its "supposed to." Saw enough of that kind of stuff back when some fans decided that Boom TV Season 1 didn't deserve its fandom and so tried to bully Boom fans off of Sonic discussions or even the internet as a whole, and its as BS now as it was back then.

• Nice Smile 1

6 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

I don't want to see anybody expressing their shock and disappointment by antagonizing Forces fans or ordering them to return their copy now if it doesn't sell the way its "supposed to."

Okay who the fuck on SSMB is actually going to do that? I don’t think anyone has said or implied anything slightly resembling this.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Okay who the fuck on SSMB is actually going to do that? I don’t think anyone has said or implied anything slightly resembling this.

I didn't specifically say that anybody on SSMB would actually do that and was speaking in general while referring to a past experience that I had and I don't want to relive. (?????????)

(Besides I'm pretty sure its against SSMB rules to call out specific users in the manner that your question implicitly asks me to do.)

Here are the ranking for Forces in the all-formats UK charts for every week since release.

Week 1: #5

Week 2: #17

Week 3: #33

Week 4: #23

Week 5: #18

Week 6: #27

Week 7: #23

Week 8: #28

It's not exactly great. Terrible? Not really, no. It's performing similarly to South Park TFBH of all things. Now that Christmas is over, I wonder how it will fare.

As for the single format charts... It made it on to the XB1 charts in week 1 only. It made it into the PS4 charts in week 1 and 2 only. For the Switch, it debuted at #2 behind only Mario Odyssey. It dropped to #8 and then #12 in weeks 2 and 3, but has been back in the top ten from week 4.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Gotcha. Still there are actual people demanding others return their copies?

Depends on where you go. Most won't outright say that, but when somebody talks publicly about having recently purchased Forces, there's nearly always a crowd ready to fire back with "Prepare for disappointment!" or "You made the wrong choice not picking Odyssey/Mania!" Perhaps meant as jokes, but they nonetheless can be pretty hurtful not to mention really invalidating and rude.

And keep in mind, people weren't exactly demanding folks return their copies of Rise of Lyric because as far as that kind of fan was concerned, it was selling exactly as well as it should and so all is right in the world. But when the TV show turned out to be doing well in ratings... oh you bet there was a self-righteous crowd that formed to order people to stop watching Sonic Boom so that the crowd can get *their* Sonic back (bonus points if Boom fans were informed that they should watch Sonic X or SatAM instead and must enjoy it, with the implications that they would magically hate Boom TV if they watched either of those shows. No they didn't respond well or change that mindset when the confronted fan informed them that they'd already seen those shows and still like Boom, or even if seeing those shows gave them a greater appreciation for Boom somehow). I just don't want Forces fans to have to go through similar stuff if it turns out not being a terrible flop like some fans want it to be.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

52 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

Most won't outright say that, but when somebody talks publicly about having recently purchased Forces, there's nearly always a crowd ready to fire back with "Prepare for disappointment!" or "You made the wrong choice not picking Odyssey/Mania!" Perhaps meant as jokes, but they nonetheless can be pretty hurtful not to mention really invalidating and rude.

Fun thing, a friend of mine who isn't as much into Sonic as I am, actually (prolly mostly as a joke) tolg to me I should buy Mania instead. When I preordered Forces I told them jokingly about it in a way as if "I'm doing the exact opposite, do you see how punk I am now huh?" B) Works both ways I suppose, though they weren't really offended, more like flegmatic about it, pretty predictable come to think of it. It was like a comedy routine that isn't really funny actually since there wasn't any payoff.

I didn't get it just for the tease though; I was interested and I was pretty certain it'd be a good idea to get the game surely. I think I was right considering how the shop I use ordered pretty much just the amount of copies there were preorders, tops ~2 more considering Switch and PS4 ones were quickly sold out while some Xbox One copies were still left after a week or so.

But well, it seems my memory did serve me right. I just hope that possible losing in homeground makes Sega make steering moves I won't find too amusing... -_-

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh. Sonic Forces doesn’t seem to selling all that great in the US, Japan (obviously) and Europe with the exception of the UK where, judging by Blue Blood’s post, it’s doing...okay? Still, for a game that’s on three different gaming platforms including PC that’s not very good. I’d be very surprised if it sells just over a million like Generations did, but we won’t find out until next year.

• Thumbs Up 1